Okay, since it's summer and we have a lot of new lurkers and shitposters coming in...

Okay, since it's summer and we have a lot of new lurkers and shitposters coming in, some of you might actually start lifting. However there are so many things that can go wrong, and so many things I wish I knew when I started. So here are some tips for you new guys just starting out in the gym.

>no matter what you should train legs
If you have an injury and can't squat, do something else for legs. It will help the rest of the body grow as well since studies claim training legs can increase testosterone.

>squat with proper form
Proper form is not bending down like trying to sit on a chair. Put your feet out to shoulder width or a little more, rotate your feet slightly outwards so your hips are open, and then go down. Practice with only the bar.

>train fullbody for at least 4 months
I know a lot of you just want aesthetics, which is fine, but for the love of God just do SS or stronglifts 5x5 and add barbell curls, flies, chin ups and dips. Do this for 4 months to have some sort of strength base, and to learn proper form. Then switch to whatever Bro split you want.

>figure out your goal and eat accordingly
Are you a hungry skelly? A fat faggot? Take a look at how you are now and think about what you want to become. Put on mass or lose fat? No matter your goal you should count calories. You likely have no idea what the duck you're eating right now, and diet is 1/3 of successful training. Also start reading labels, and understand them.

If I think of more tips I will post them later. If any other user's have some general advice for newbies, post it here. Also feel free to ask questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

aperito.org/uploads/pdf/ANFTOA-2-106.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>since studies claim training legs can increase testosterone.
kek. well source then

not saying this is 100% true but I have read this in multiple articles

>train fullbody for at least 4 months

You should train full body for life.

Too lazy to find an article on pubmed, but the idea is that stressing your muscles can release extra hormones in your body. One of them being testosterone. And the larger the muscle, the more can be released. Since legs are the biggest muscle in your body, it has the potential to release the most testosterone. That's why it's important to deadlift and squat.

Legs are the largest single muscles in the body, so training them causes more testosterone to be released compared to smaller muscles

I agree with this, but since I know a lot of scrubs wanna train like the other bros in the gym, I won't bother. All I'm saying is they should at least train full body for 4months, and then they can do whatever they want. Hopefully they will realise full body is GOAT for natural lifting.

yes they do but that amount is soo low its not significant enough to consider it an argument

OP here again, thought of 2 more tips of advice.

>write down your lifts
Start doing this immediately and make it a habit. The key to increasing your lifts in beginner programmes are linear progression. So write down how much you lifted, and then next time you can put on a little more. It also prevents you from just going to the gym and improvising.

>take time on your rest
Use your phone or a stop watch to track rest between sets. This isn't really that necessary, but if you want to min max, then it's can be a good idea. 30-90 seconds for accessory lifts, and 2:30-5 minutes for compounds. The heavier you go, the more rest in between sets you will need.

Is ULrULrr split ok? I didnt do SS/SL/5x5I went to a shit gym where a friend made me do brosplits for months but I can do 1.25 plate bench, 1.75 pl8 squat and DLs so I don't think I need to reset that hard, an ULUL split is fine, but what do ppl here think? 6'2" 18.7%bf 198 lbs

Those are all 4x6 lifts

It's fine, as long as you get legs in.
Are you doing your own routine, or have you found one on the internet?

is stronglifts 5x5 a good alternative to SS? i'm kind of scared of those power cleans desu

It's perfectly fine. You can add flies to one workout and curls to the other as well. I can't give you advice on power cleans though, since I have never done any Olympic style lifts.

okay, thanks man

totally new here: i dont want to become hulk or whatever, but i do a lifestyle that keeps me on a chair or standing still for many hours, what are the best exercises to prevent problems at back and hips? they often hurt

This is going to sound condescending, but you won't become a hulk. If you start lifting, 45-1 hour 3 times a week you will become a healthy male.
For back and hip problems, deadlifts and squats with good form will help. Also stretching could probably help you.

yeah i do a 45mins stretching routine 3-4 times a week and one intense (for my fit, aka 56kg skinnyfat) day of full body training. i tried to do more than that in past but after a while i stop improving then start to deteriorate until i feel horribly weak, like pain after 3-4 standard squats
guess i was born weak

It sounds more like an eating and resting problem. Also, if you are 56 kg, it doesn't sound like you are eating enough if you are also lifting.

You are literally what SS + GOMAD was made for

own-ish, swapped most machine exercises for free weight ones.
yes, i train legs, i think
1st lower body day: squats, leg press, SLDL, standing calf raise, cable crunches
2nd: DLs, dumbell lunges, hypers, seated calves, leg raises.

im not lifting, i do just squats, planks, pull ups and push ups (a few variations for each exercise)
if i eat more i just get fat (i follow a carefree mediterran diet) and i rest plenty
who? i dont know Veeky Forums slang sorry

Looks good honestly. You are following the Base principle of compounds first and accessories after. You can do this routine, as long as it keeps giving you gains.

read the sticky

gaining some fat is necessary for gaining muscle.

He is saying you are really skinny. And SS+GOMAD is a routine and diet that is made for skinny guys to start bulking up and get stronger. Have you tried counting calories?

sorry, you are right, it's there. thanks for not insulting me
never did, i mostly look at the mirror, since im small i can notice if i get fatter just in a couple days of bad meals. i just want a healthy body, i dont want to bulk or anything

That's honestly probably just you being bloated.

You don't have to eat an insane surplus, but you do need to eat more than you are used to if you want to get stronger.

stronger being the means to the ends of preventing back/hip pain.
SS's main focus is back and hips, get them stronger and fix your posture and you'll reduce pain in those areas.

Great advice. Wish is received this three years ago. Instead I learned the hard way.

Start with strength, then go to aesthetics.

More advice:

>don't concentrate too much on weight
This is more geared on aesthetics, but also relevant for strength. Your weight fluctuates all the time, and stepping on the scale everyday is almost pointless. Look in the mirror every two weeks instead, or look at how your lifts are progressing. And if you must weigh yourself regularly, do it at the same time of day and do it weekly.

I've also heard this, would be curious for a cite as well. Not skeptical, but wondering the context of the conclusion

Lifting heavy and eating maintenance will get you a healthy body.

You don't get large unless you lift big and eat big. The right stuff, too. No offense but I'd wager your nutrition isn't on point if it's a "carefree" diet with no counting. And I mean that from a proper protons intake standpoint

Thanks for the thread, I've been lurkin for the last weeks since I want tot go to the gym since my knees are pretty much getting fucked up because I have to stay 8+ hours sitting at work and the doctor said that gym would help a lot.

My problem is that I dont have time, I start work at 8AM, but I have to go out from my house at 7:30 and I comeback at 11-12pm because I have some classes at night. I want to go at 6am 3 times per week, but the problem is that there are not any gym instructors at that time and Im pretty sure that if nobody guides me at least for a couple of weeks Im gonna fuck my body even more. Im not fat, or skinny but Im weak af.

just follow this guide and you'll be fine

>avoid eggs (too much cholesterol
>avoid canned tuna (too much mercury)

got triggered at first

Thanks, will do!

you can start without any guidance. obviously having a PT who is decent at his job to watch your form and correct any errors would be best, but there are other avenues available in this regard. if you start slow with light weights until you are confident in your form, you shouldn't face any issues, just watch videos on form on youtube and read articles pertaining to this. you can also use your phone to film yourself doing a set and compare your form to someone who is more experienced, and then just keep these corrections in my mind next time you step into the gym. over time your form will become better. just leave your ego at the door, because an injury is NEVER worth the temporary ego boost you might get for lifting something far above your capacity.

your schedule is unfortunate, however, you could look into going during your lunch break and doing maybe half of a full body workout, and doing the other half before/after workout on the same day. look into getting a membership for a 24 hour gym near where you work. it will be less than perfect but still doable.

good luck bro!

Is going to the gym 4 times a week good enough?

Is it fine if I do push-ups, squats and sit-ups at home in the off days or should I let my body rest?

I see some people recommending cardio alongside strength training, what's some easy cardio I could do? Jogging? (Is there an alternative to jogging, because I feel like it takes too much time?)

Ive seen the "increases testosterone" meme or "males with high testosterone do this" so many times with absolutely bullshit to back it up that I just disregard it.

>>write down your lifts
there's like a million apps to do this so there's literally no excuse not to

yeah SL 5x5 is great, make sure to do accessories as well tho

>>avoid canned tuna (too much mercury)
implying this isn't true

What do you mean by full body? Im a skellyfag and this is my second week lifting. My program goes one day upper body then rest day and then leg day.

This is just cruel.

Depends on the routine, but yes it is enough days for a ULrULrr split. On off days you can do cardio like jogging, swimming or sports. You have to eat enough and get good sleep thpugh. However I wouldn't recommend the push ups, it's unnecessary and won't help you progress.

You train your whole body on one day, and do it 3 times a week.
Read the sticky, it has a full body routine called Starting Strength (SS) and it will go into detail why it's a good idea to train like this.

> be fatty
> read this, start drinking tons of juice

kek

>SS or stronglifts 5x5
Why fall for these memes when you have pic related, the perfect beginner routine?

This is a fine program, but I think it might work better for people who are done with 4 months of stronglifts or SS. And going to failure this often might be too much to be honest, if you are doing heavy weights.

Citation needed is an outdated meme, you can get any silly paper published nowadays so linking citation is borderline meaningless. Also reading more nutritional facts COULD be detrimental to your fitness. Just read this legit study I found that says as much:

aperito.org/uploads/pdf/ANFTOA-2-106.pdf

Guys, I need some workout advice.

Currently 6'4 353lbs 27 y/o. I started working out 3 years ago but had to stop abruptly 4 months in.

Love deadlifts, hate squats. So back in the day I tried to do something like SS: deadlifts+pulldowns+shoulder presses 3 times a week, with 10 mins warmup on a bike beforehand.

I never asked for advice back in the day, so no idea if that was a proper workout, but it made me feel good. My goal now is that + losing some weight before I get a heart attack.
I also want to get stronger in the future.

I read the sticky and figured I should get to 15% BF before anything. Should I just focus on cardio for now, until I lose enough weight to be able to do a pushup/pullup?

In terms of nutrition, does the 1,5g per lbs of bodyweght go for the person's current or target weight?

I'm at a loss and would be happy to get some advice.

People that do nutritional studies need to make up their minds. Is the 5% change in testosterone from leg workouts meaningless, or is the 5% increase in blood pressure from consuming excessive caffeine an imminent health risk?

Start lifting immediately. It burns calories, and bigger muscles will require more energy to keep. Hence you will burn more calories while sedentary.
Do not focus too much on the protein per pound right now, since you are very overweight. Eat 100g of protein per day, and you will get enough. And I really think you should reevaluate your hate for squats, since it is really a great exercise. I hated it in the beginning to, but now I'm starting to see the light, and doing squats now is as important as benching. Just think about the increased test and how important legs in general are.
If you need help for motivation etc, there is a /fat/ general. It's where people talk about losing weight etc, they might have some experience as to how they lost the first 50 lbs.

Good luck brah, we're all gonna make it!

go to /fat/ to look at dieting
also
>worked out for 4 months 3 years ago
means that you pretty much didnt work out, that is going to have minimal effect on you.

Again, go to /fat/. There are a lot of ways to lose weight, but if you're going to lift after achieving a 15%bf, then lift before getting there. Muscle will help lose weight.

Thanks, man! Got a gym membership today, will try the squats again tomorrow. The fat general reminded me that I should get a calorie counting app, good tip. Best of luck to you too, we're all gonna make it :)

>In terms of nutrition, does the 1,5g per lbs of bodyweght go for the person's current or target weight?

If you mean protein that's way too much, especially for someone morbidly obese. Highest necessary before you're wasting time for natties is ~0.86g/lb, but that's for people in a healthy weight range. Just focus on getting about 150g/day.

Yeah, I could imagine hating squats at that weight too. You're basically starting out with 185lbs on the bar without even putting a bar on your back while being untrained. Just sub in leg press and do your deads if you still like those.

You're in a special population group. Most generalized fitness information is aimed towards people in the general pop - relatively young, not obese/underweight, able bodied, etc.

Focus on eating less to lose weight. Do a lot of lot impact LISS cardio on an elliptical, bike, or swimming to speed the process up.

For lifting, remember to sub movements when you need to. If a program calls for pullups, use a lat pulldown. Squats - leg press. Dips - CG bench or a push down machine. Etc. Don't let the meat head dogma get in your way of making gains while you focus on what's important for you - getting to a healthy weight. Squats aren't going to stop you from having a heart attack, and at your weight they're probably just going to get you injured and leave you worse off.

>Veeky Forums
>10% bf
lmao

phew...

There are noobs here who would take this seriously.