Is building a basic home gym (power rack, adjustable bench, barbell...

Is building a basic home gym (power rack, adjustable bench, barbell, weight plates) cheaper than a gym membership in the long run?

Yes.

what kind of stupid question is that

of course it is cheaper in the long run. its a matter of how long and what it costs to make a home gym (could be a non-monitary cost mind you, like giving up your garage)

Fairly mid-range setup:
platform $50
rack $400
bar $200
plates $200
bench $100
a bunch of other shit you don't really need: $500

How much is a year's membership at your gym?

No, the extra room would cost you a lot more in rent (or mortgage payment, but realistically, none of you fags are making house payments) than a gym membership. If you have the extra room or an empty basement, though, go for it.

if you have the room its a 100% worth it. especially because you can resell plates and shit for almost the same price as you bought them for

If you plan on lifting more than 3 years it is.

You can build a serviceable home gym for $1,000. Equipment doesn't degrade as much when you're the only person using so maybe factor in 200-300 for any replacements or repairs every 5 years.

Cheap gym membership for $30 a month will eclipse the $1,000 threshold by year 3, not to mention gas cost but that's negligible unless you have to drive more than 5 or 10 miles to your closest gym a day.

I got a $5000 bonus at work a year ago and invested in a home gym. Converted the spare bedroom into one. Guests spending the night get the foldout couch now lol

$924

Depends.

If you want to make sure you are going to use it before upgrading to nicer equipment, it is pretty cheap.

150 for a rack
200 for a 300lb set
~20 for a horse stall mat

Done

Well there's your answer.

protip:
plates can be poverty tier
rack and bench need to be fairly sturdy
bar needs to be high fucking quality

I bought a lot of equipment on craigslist. It paid itself off in less than 2 years.

Sure,
Find a hill that you can run up in 12 seconds.
Sprint up it as hard as you can and then walk down. Repeat until you want to do.

Get a backpack and put some weight in it. Buy a power tower for $100 off amazon
Do weighted dips and pull-ups.

Congrats. You are set for life and for as fuck for $100

THIS.

I pay £35 per month for my gym. I could buy all new shit within 9-10 months and it would be around the same cost. The only reason I don't is because I don't have room for a home gym at the moment.

Good advice on what you can/cannot buy second hand too. It's all metal at the end of the day, but you never know what some idiot has done to it. If you're benching 200lbs you don't want your life to depend on safties some moron had riddled with stress fractures.

why would the bar need to be such high quality? i use a cheap as fuck oly bar and its fine. better even since i dont feel bad about beating it up or scratching singer placement marks into it

of course it is. good squat rack and plates last forever. plus they maintain their value so you can sell them if you upgrade or your living arrangements change

it can break and kill u

yeah i know thats a possibility. anything COULD break and kill you. how often do cheap bars break?

i have a non olympic bar and its shit
id totally get one but my plates wont fit it

are you talking about nonoly bar vs oly bar? because im just talking about a cheap oly bar

of course you shouldnt have a non oly bar

ive seen an e-x curl bar break while a guy was doing skullcrushers

I also bought my stuff on Craigslist. The guy selling it was injured at work and had a quality home set up that I picked up for 500 dollars. It's greatly improved my work out experience and quality of life.

I literally can't do heavy squats or deads on cheap barbells anymore without bending them into unusable pieces of shit. That's just a 6 plate deadlift.

Once you lift a while, you can really appreciate a high quality bar.

>spending more than $500 on a serviceable home gym
pic related is $250 but regularly goes down to $200. you can squat off the back of it
300lbs weights + barbell set is $250 but regularly goes down to $200

$400 tops before tax with a little patience, $500 if you can't wait

add in a weight tree for $60 if you want some convenience, and some mats if you're afraid of damaging floor and you're golden