Can I take up boxing and still be able to bodybuild?

Can I take up boxing and still be able to bodybuild?

I'm joining my University's boxing club this fall and I'd like to continue building muscle. What are your experiences with combining the two?

Currently 5'11" 160 lbs 10ish% bf
I plan on doing short bulk/cut cycles to stay lean throughout boxing

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck why does nobody box

What kind of shitfuck mongoloid question is that what the fuck do you think dumbass

just lift on the side, its not rocket science

ended giving up bodybuilding over boxing
been training boxing for 6 years now, i dont regret it one bit
in terms of body building i am otter mode, cannonball shoulders and chicken legs
ppl still call me "ripped" and "buff" if that's what you aim for
but now i can beat most people up
its not minor

Bodybuild during bulks, box during cuts. That's pretty much what Holyfield did to go from 185 to 215.

I think mister Evan Fields did a bit more than that.

enjoy your brain damage op

sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html
fun fact from the link:
>Initially (during mesocycle one), Evander followed a modified bodybuilding and basic strengthening program using a "variable split" format. A, B and C specify whether the workout is to be a very easy one (A), a moderately difficult one (B), or a high intensity one (C). This part of Evander's program was monitored by Lee Haney, multiple "Mr. Olympia" bodybuilding champion, and a former student of mine.
Plus it's no secret he was roiding, like says

But why boxing? Most boxers do not look like Mayweather who has one of the toughest training regimes of any boxer and his pussy ass does it all at night because he fights at night.

Most boxers train for power and stamina. That's it. Boxers don't generally care what their physique is if they can still knock a nigga out or last 12 rounds.

And unless you are super heavyweight or jumping up something stupid like 3 weight divisions there's no such thing as a boxer that bulks and when those boxers do that their bodies never look good.

Boxing is a great sport to learn (if you get gud) and fantastic in terms of stamina and grace (if you get your footwork game up).

One is going to suffer, they don't play well together. Box for boxing not for bodybuilding.

You can do whatever you want, I dont care

I lift 3x a week and box/thaibox 4/5 times a week

AMA

What school are you going to? It'd be cool to compete against another fitizen

Are you trying to get stronger? How many kcal are you eating to maintain all of that?

University of Michigan

How do manage a regular life with a job and stuff. That is legit pro level amount of volume

most boxers lift

I do

>Boxers don't generally care what their physique is

Not my experience. Most boxers I know are also interested in the visual results.

I have pretty much reached my peak. I now maintain my lifts, which are as follows

bench: 225 x5
deadlift: 420x5
squat: 315x5
pullups; 28 in a row max
ohp: 140x1 max

and then I do accessories, each training takes me about 1,5hours.

boxing training is 3x a week and thaibox 2x

Monday morning: pull day (deadlift, pullups, biceps curls, lats pulldown, hammer curls, front pulldown, seated rows, lateral raises)

evening; boxing training.

tuesday evening; thaibox

Wednesday; push day; bench, ohp, triceps cable, incline press, abs

Thursday evening; boxing

Friday morning; leg day and shoulders; squat, calf raises, stiff legged deadlifts, lateral raises, facepulls, ohp high volume.

Friday evening; thaibox

Saturday noon; boxing training

i was lifting for 2 years before I started with boxing, so i had a firm base for my lifts, and was pretty much satisfied with my lifts.

i don't count my kcal, ust make sure I eat enough broteins. can eat whatever I want, do eat whatever I want.

I'm in uni and never go to class, only when i got exams it obviously isn't maintainable.

i still go out after boxing training, the training usually ends at 20:0 or 20:30, so enough time to 'party' afterwards.

it is great.

>I'm in uni and never go to class, only when i got exams it obviously isn't maintainable.
what kind of shitty uni is that?

Somebody post a picture of Anthony Joshua,the heavyweight champion of the world.

uni of antwerp, Belgium.

i just buy resumes and course notes from friends.

it isn't that shitty, but it obviously isn't harvard

there are loads of jacked fighters if thats what you are asking, lesnar, tyson etc...
you will need to roid ofc but that is part and parcel in martial arts and bodybuilding.

Damn you're in USIBA, my school is NCBA

Sure, for bodybuilding. Pretty much any exercise is bodybuilding.

Not really for strength training tho. Very different style.

What training did you start with to get your lifts up? I'm very inspired to do something similar. Make it aesthetically and then take up muay thai

Anyway, I'd recommend that you try to do a very light lean bulk if you're doing this, boxing is incredibly draining and you're probably not going to want to be cutting or having your weight bounce around. Also if you plan to compete you'll probably want to find a good weight to stick with all year. Around 147 pounds, the boxers start to hit surprisingly hard. You'll want to be fairly lean so you can stick with your opponents size wise

It doesn't really mix all that well. Muscle helps to a certain point at which point it starts to become a hindrance. You get diminishing return from the extra muscle and get tired quicker.

i first dicked around with machines and some meme exercises for a couple of months, then started with blaha's ice cream program (lol), then i improved accesories, and increased training days until i had a full PPLPP every week.

which was as follows;

Monday;dl, pullups, traps shrugs, lat pulldown, front pulldown, biceps

tuesday; incline press, ohp, farmer walks, triceps cable, dips

Wednesday; squats, stiff legged dl, sometimes calves but neglected them facepull, lateral raises, steering wheels

Thursday;pullups/chinups mix, t-rows, seated shoulder rows, front pulldown, biceps curls, hammer curls

Friday: bench press, ohp, side bends, leg raies and crunches, triceps seated pushdown

so heavy volume, many accesories, but still the big lifts. obviously things like side bends or farmer walks aren't necessary, but i liked them so why not.

so two months memeing around, 4 months blaha, 18 months PPL (approx)

and i started previous year with my three times a week lifting and added boxing.

protip if you want to do thaibox; try to get some flexibility before you start. your legs are going to be incredibly stiff the first few months.

Not him obviously, but I train just as much, if not more, and I just work morning shifts, then lift/train in the evenings. I have a horrible sleep regimen on top of that, but nothing a nap can't solve.

Godmiljaar, toevallig niet bij Ting Tong?

>never go to class, i buy notes

Is this because you don't have the time or is it because you just don't want to?
Either way, i assume your grades are not good. If that is the case, why even go to uni?

hahaha nee, bij de bulldogs in merksem. doeme, nog ni vaak een belg hier gezien, en dan nog nen antwerpenaar ook. da is zeldzaam!

I am too lazy to go the courses, my grades are decent, but probably going to have to do a year extra. nothing that can't be solved, and with a law degree you have a guaranteed job waitin for you.

Eerste keer inderdaad! Moest ik meer tijd hebben zou ik er ook terug mee beginnen, maar ben nu al met drie gevechtssporten bezig, plus liften. Anyway, bedtijd, vroege shift. >.>

haha echt veel mist ge hier toch niet echt ze. slaapwel man, doet dat nog goed

I do an engineering major in a good university in spain and i do that too, no need to listen to some old retard talk when you can borrow notes from your friends.

>Can I take up boxing and still be able to bodybuild?

No. No no no no no no no no no. NO.

Mass building of any kind is absolutely detrimental to boxing. Don't fucking do it. Ignore the heavyweights, they're either on roids or tall as fuck if natty.

If you want to lift and fight so bad do judo or even BJJ. At least your added strength will crossover and you'll still learn how to clown fuckers.

Bulking and boxing go together like blacks and having fathers

>Bulking and boxing go together like blacks and having fathers

don't exaggerate so much

your ohp is not at peak you could probably bring it up to 150-160 considering you can rep the rest of 1/2/3/4

Damn I'm going to u of m flint. Boxing in a club about a mile down the road though

I remember my first day(only day) at a boxing gym. I puked just from warm ups. Wtf was with that intense ass warm up

maybe but I doubt it. I did 140 and my back was really stretched to the max, didn't feel good at all. don't feel confident enough to try maxing out ohp.

>Bulking and boxing go together like blacks and having fathers

>Who is Ricky Hatton, king of the Guinness bulk?