Brehs I want to start reading old greek philosophy, but don't know where to start...

Brehs I want to start reading old greek philosophy, but don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me a good book by one of the shredded old greeks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ABRN0E_mI0U
archive.org/stream/SenecaOnTheShortnessOfLife/Seneca on the Shortness of Life_djvu.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Epictetus, cool guy.

Not as cool as Eipikwinius.

Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle will make you a better man

>“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

This.
And Plato's dialogues
Meditations by Marcus aurelius is GOAT, even tho he was roman

Any specific books?
Thanks, gonna give it a try

What about the other 80?
Was Heaclitus retarded?

>eighty are just targets
Can you read my son?

Are you retarded?

Apparently I'm the retarded one.
sorry papa Heraclitus

You sir have been assigned to Front Line Infantry Division.

Epictetus, Plato, Epicurus

What about Socrates?

Go to Veeky Forums

Try the selected dialogues of Plato. Just finished it, easy to understand yet still thought provoking. It will also make you want to read more,

Then do the Iliad or meditations, also simple but more Veeky Forums
Meditations was the only thing that got me to start doing my work, and also to start valuing discipline.

>What about Socrates?
Socrates arguably never wrote anything and if he did it didn't survive. He does make an appearance in most of Plato's dialogues but it's debatable whether his opinions in there are an actual representation of him or whether he is just a mouthpiece for Plato's opinions or represents his 'ideal philosopher'.

Be prepared to do a shitload of research and have to read all the boring footnotes at the back of the books as you go.
It's a completely different culture so if you just read it like YA fiction half of it will fly over your head.
For instance in the Odyssey there's a bunch of times when people are getting their feet washed. It's meant to be a mark of hospitality that you always offer as a good host because Zeus is the patron saint of beggars, not doing it obviously indicates you're a cunt.

Fuck the meme Greeks (Plato, Socrates and Aristotle)
Read Sextus Empiricus instead. You think you know shit? Think again

Not old Greek, but Roman. Seneca is a good read. Here's an audiobook on "On the Shortness of Life"

youtube.com/watch?v=ABRN0E_mI0U

Text: archive.org/stream/SenecaOnTheShortnessOfLife/Seneca on the Shortness of Life_djvu.txt

i would say that you are one of the 80 but considering that you can't read you are one of the 10

Just become a hobo and tell emperors to get the fuck out of your sunlight

nigga shoulda given the child his cup.

Fuck he talking about dumbass motherfucker

Plenty of African philosophers are more interesting and insightful than typical Greek/Romans, which arguably took a lot of their views from previous generations of African thinkers. Expand out of your Eurocentric views sometime.

Diogenes is amazing, really helps,me be happy with the minimum.

>user why don't you have nice fancy bullshit
>the better question is why don't you have a savings account

This.

If it's your first time into philosophy, start with pic related. It's a modern overview of Stoicism. Great book to get familiarized with the different stoic concepts, and the fact that it was written in our times makes it an easier read to get started.

GOAT philosophy work coming through. Make way.

>cursing a child with frivolity

I bet you define man as a featherless biped too lmao

>shouldn't even be there

Op here. Thank you all for the contribution. I will go trough all the recommended books and will start reading soon.

Start with Epictetus, it will give you a good foundation. All of his writings are enjoyable and morally spot on.
Then read Marcus Aurelius (yeah I know not greek), a great thinker.

Even with these two you will be golden.

>more interesting than the foundation of western society and thought
wew

>because white western society is the only one worth talking about even though all races and backgrounds live here

Back to StormFront.

>because white western society is the only one worth talking about
Agreed
>even though all races and backgrounds live here
Yes because western society is objectively superior to every other one

Western society doesn't belong strictly to white people. African or Asian history has just as much right to be taught being that they belong here just the same.

Egyptian? When I hear African I think Ethiopian, Songhay, etc

>being that they belong here just the same
Nah, Europe for Europeans. Why doesn't Africa or Asia need diversity forced down their throat? The people pushing this should realize this is how you create a Yugoslavia situation on a continental scale, with the inevitable death and destruction that comes with it.