Sobriety thread

Sobriety thread.

Three days until 1K sober days edition.

Okay. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy myself a motorcycle as a treat.

how are you guys holding up?

Fell back today, first time in over a year. Going back to AA.
Atleast i know this is nothing i want anylonger

Damn, I'm sorry user. I have to acknowledge that the chances are good I'll try having a beer sometime and not be able to stop until I have to really, for reelzz, quit forever.

I was drinking about a half liter of vodka every night, plus chasers of beer. That went on for about four years.

i hope you're doing ok. Anything set you off or was it just an urge to have a few?

drank with my dad a few weeks ago after helping him do some construction in his house. only 6 beers, but i puked in the morning and had a bloody nose.

before that i was like 3 months sober and thought "well it's my dad, gotta drink with him when i can". can't do it anymore.

I stopped all alcohol for 90 days on May 5th,beer included to drop weight i'm dry until Aug 5th.
On Aug 6th, i;m going for a Zima, newly reissued into stores everywhere. I haven't had one since the 90's and really can't wait. I gave up whiskey Oct 31st 2016 and haven't looked back since. Congrats on being sober for so long.

I'm on day 5 of cold turkey after drinking just about everyday for 11 years. Took the death of my grandmother to make me realize I was using it as an emotional crutch and that she would be disappointed in my lack of mental fortitude.

Better late than never I suppose.

Broke my record at the local tavern. Paid for 16 pints of Guinness... previous record was 14. Was there for 6 1/2 hours, had some meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

No where near "drunk" ; barely even buzzing,,,, 5' 8" 195 lbs. Couple years to 50.

>still doing 1/2/3/4* bitches.
>*rack pull

Only a whole six pack... you're supposed to share a sixer alchy. Stop at 3.5 standard drinks fag

>alchy
well no shit why do you think i'm going sober. plus he got a 12pack.

I can relate to that, i was drinking 3 big bottles of Jack Daniels a week after my wife died. It put me in a stooper EVERY single night after work. I thought about going to AA meetings around here but i decided to use the gym as my therapy instead. I lost 67lbs fom November through March just by dieting and exercising every day after work. It really did help.

7 years getting hammered every fri-sat

jun 3rd I got so wasted I lost my bicycle and an expesive hoodie

20 days without drinking. planing to keep this way forever, never felt better.

how do you managed to get 1k days?

had a gin martini after work. Going to get drunk at a college party with lots of QTs

>how do you managed to get 1k days?
one day at a time

>how are you guys holding up?

Flashbacks are coming back

I want to just forget and move on

Might need a drink tonight

started at gonig for three months, which became a year, which became 1k days.

I sat at home and literally twiddled my thumbs and posted on Veeky Forums for the first three weeks.

I'm glad I stopped. I am. But to be honest with you, my social life has definitely suffered, and it's likely affected my professional relationships too. I go out with people after work sometimes but I just drink water and leave after 30 mintues. Im not able to bond with people over alcohol like others might.

holy fuck but it's so hard

the worst part are my friends inviting me to go out.

i cant imagine going out and not drinking.

but at the same time, i never want to feel suicidal again, like i felt the last hangover.

shit.

stopped going out with girls too. all they want is to drink, dance and fuck

thanks for the answer. I'm and i think my social life will suffer too. but fuck it, its better than suicide.

Congrats man.

I wish more people understood that being an alcoholic isn't just a lack of willpower. It means you don't just have one. It means I don't understand how someone leaves a glass with beer, wine, or liquor half full. How can someone not want to feel like this?

Grats user, that's no small feat.

How did you go about quitting? I'm college aged but my hangovers are starting to get too bad, it leaves me totally incapacitated for the whole next day and my anxiety goes through the roof.

I just lack the self control to drink and not go full retard, but I worry that if I stop drinking then I'll have nothing to do with friends anymore

a lot of things drove me to quit, but what I remember most were the awful self-talk I'd have at 2AM and waking up in the morning muttering insults to people I haven't' seen in years and likely will never see again.

You might as well try drying out for a while.

Haven't had alcohol since new year's eve of 2015. So about 541 days. I basically gave it up once I got my diet in order and started getting fit.

You have to adjust what you're "doing" when you're drinking booze....

For me... it was playing Xbox... surfing the Web,,, playing guitar... relaxing and watching sports at the local tavern...

It's very hard to remove the alcohol from the pastime... *BUT*.... my tavern actually has n/a beer (.05%), and I've ordered coffee and vanilla ice cream instead of booze....

>idle hands are the Devil's Playground

I just stopped. I think I tapered off with a six pack spread out over two or three days and that was it. I had drugs to help me sleep for a few weeks.

My anxiety has disappeared btw, but I also credit a significant investment in improving my appearance and physical strenght for that. I used to have to take ativan just to go to work in the morning.

Watched my roommate turn into an alky and I'd come home to find a brand new bottle of liquor in the fridge everyday/every other day, and then he'd wonder why he couldn't pay his fucking bills on time and couldn't afford food. I didn't drink much before but after seeing that it just turns me off from it.

Sleeping is the hardest part.
Hours are spent fighting off the booze effects.
BUT ---- non-alcohol effect sleep is SO much better.....

I'll sleep 14 hours drunk and wake up foggy.... but when I'm clean---- 5 hours is total fresh.

>maybe on Sunday I'll be sober.

My dad was an alcoholic so as a kid I promised myself I wouldn't ever start drinking.

Still haven't had any alcohol after 24 years, don't have any urges to start either thank god.

talk to a doc. You will need to be capable of total sobriety before you start taking prescription drugs for sleep.

once you are sober, try trazadone.

jealous

the worst part for me is watch my mothers disappointment
at one point she didn't even became sad, I had the feeling that her eyes lost the glow, like they were saying that she failed with me
it makes me really sad.

gonna try 6 months without it. right now I'm thinking giving up for life

I have to be drinking in social gatherings too. gonna try non alcoholic drinks, thanks

19 yo college student. I researched drugs a lot and tried acid and mushrooms before alcohol. I can tell alcohol is way, way, way more addictive even though i have had it only 4 times. Apparently acid cures addiction to alcohol and many other things so I think I'm good but nontheless:
Any words of wisdom to use responsibly and not get addicted?

Dn't get drunk. For me, I know alcohol is a relatively shit drug but it's the only one that ever actually felt good and right.

Not an alcoholic, but I'd say the best way to avoid it is to never start in the first place. I'm trying to cut back but it's hard when you're used to getting wasted Thursday through Saturday every week.

Going on 3 years. I think I had a drink November 2015, I can't remember.
MAGA

DOUBT

never drink alone
never drink more than anyone you're with
set a limit of 3-4 drinks and never break it

what most alcoholics get addicted to is the chase of getting drunk. We think "oh I can keep drinking more and then the fun will begin" because that used to be true when we were younger. But then you get older, and getting drunk just makes you a less fun, dull version of yourself.

Thanks man, its midsummer here in sweden and its very common to celebrate it. Thought it would be a nice evening with some friends and a beer or two, turned out to be a horrible evening.

Feeling better now, never drinking again. Going back to aa on sunday Thank god

Guinness has like 4% alcohol. < 3 per hour isn't that much you retard

I'll be 9 months without the booze on Monday. It was definitely the right move but my social life has tanked. I try and to out to shows or other cool events but it's hard not being on the same level. Sexually in my driest period since I lost my virginity. About two months now. Only hooked up with one new person after dating for a bit so I guess it's good I'm not as much of a slut. Shame she left town.

Thinking about trying out an AA meeting, might help me from relapsing to combat loneliness. Not sure where to meet girls now, I miss the game of seduction. I'm shooting for a year at least but the social toll is killing me.

16 days sober. I've been going to AA every day and got a sponsor this week. I got a big offer for an internship from an accounting firm and was ecstatic until the words "background check" were mentioned. I got arrested 5 times for my drinking back in 2013 and 2014, and 3 of those are still on my record. Luckily no DUIs and they're all summary offenses, so there might be a chance if I tell them before they find out themselves and plead my case. Still, man. Pretty damn depressed.