Does do swimming exercises help with anything? I feel like it does but dont know what it helps in the end

Does do swimming exercises help with anything? I feel like it does but dont know what it helps in the end.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailyburn.com/life/fitness/swimming-workouts-every-level/
100swimmingworkouts.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

swimming is a bullshit scam, it does nothing and won't give you any gains

Not enough

Burning calories, burning muscle and fat.

It's helping me lose weight. I have no idea if it actually helps people get fit though, I'd assume running is better for that.

it's a good way for fat, disabled, or old people to do cardio

Do you shower in the gym?

why wouldnt you

I'm considering learning how to swim
I run a lot and I feel like it's hard on my joints.

It's good cardio
Helps with flexibility

Cardin without damaging joints

is it better then running?

...t-there's other people there.

You have to understand something, swimming doesn't give you a good body, it just burns cals and maybe a little hypertrophy. Swimmers have bodies like this because people with bodies like this are naturally better swimmers, therefore you see more swimmers with these bodies.

if you swim like a fat person it wont help much.
if you swim like an athlet (1km under 30min, 5m in 1:30 etc) it will help.
swimming 1h in one go burns a shittone of calories, not only because of the movements but also because your body is watercooled to 22°C and needs to spent a considerable amount of energie just to keep you warm. No better cardio for cutting

sprints and butterfly are explosive and demannding hiit right there

What this guy says.

Swimming is by far the best way to lose fat, and the most efficient. I lost 15kg in 3 months by going twice a week to the pool and swimming 2.5-3km each time, in 2 hours average. I didn't need to cut calories even, went on 2000-2500 per day and I still lost weight like hell.

>Swimmers have bodies like this because people with bodies like this are naturally better swimmers, therefore you see more swimmers with these bodies.
this
swimming is a meme

100% better

It is cardio. You may get a tiny bit of muscle from it, but the body you posted has not come from swimming alone.

kill yourself retards. i know many kids who started fat and ended up completely shredded. It includes me. Swimming will give you great aesthetics

Competitive swimmer swim miles a day, these bodies come from years of training, I think a better way to talk about swim is to compare it with running.
Swimming is better for joints, and it is also much more complete when it comes to muscle targeting. Swimmers must have strong shoulders to perform their moves, a toned body to keep in a good position, strong legs to paddle... Basically swimming is a full body cardio workout, and it is not nearly as damageable for your joints as running.

>using your muscles to move your body against a force does not effect those muscles at all
Has broscience gone too far?

Of course it gets you fit but you need to swim in more and more viscous fluids to make micro-progression.

lol

get out

Swimmign is absolute best training for everything and way to get body in shape.

HOWEVER it means INTENSIVE swimming where you spend least 45 minutes at speed/ressistance swimming putting your all effort. Its way harder than running, lifting, whatever endurance wise.

Going to pool and swimming 200m in leisurly pace on other hand would do nothing to you.

i think swimmers actually use mini parachutes to create more resistance

The best thing is a drag suit, think a pair of loose mesh basketball short shorts you wear over your suit.

it will burn a shitload of kcal's
olympic swimmers eat more then 5000 kcal a day because when the water is cold, u burn extra kcals

This thread

Swimming is an ideal cardio method, and boosts lung capacity/red blood cell count a bit as well.

It has mild aesthetic effect, contributing to the popular "swimmer's physique"/"ottermode" body. The emphasis on shoulder/lats/pecs/obliques and legs, at the expense of the core and back, produce an hourglass look, typically.

It's worth noting that swimming is high reps, low resistance by default, so rather than causing much hypertrophy on its own, it instead bolsters the energy delivery to those muscle groups, which produces a mild appearance of growth in the relevant muscle groups as the volume of local fuel reserves increases over time.

You'd want to keep lifting normally to encourage hypertrophy of the muscles themselves. Swimming might help with this, by improving your recovery between sets, for example, because more fuel will be available at the moment you're lifting.

i use my bones and not my muscles to swim, sory

you're literally swimming the wrong way then.

This is the best answer so far.

It's fun.

is there a starting swimming routine for cardio?

> fucked up by running
> cant swim

It's like you got the disadvantage of being black without the benefit...

Swimming is cardio, like running or riding a bike. Swimming can help in weight loss and may be a better cardio option than running and maybe biking because it is very safe for your joints. It also is a cardio option that isn't as leg-specific as running, biking, or jumprope.
Cardio is a tool to maintain the health of your heart, and can also be used to maintain a caloric deficit when cutting

Physical work capacity aside, a lean body is at a disadvantage because it is less bouyant. Swimmers look like this because of the amount of work they perform.

>good cardio
>fun
do it mate

In the same way that untrained populations develop small hypertrophy when beginning running, swimming will of course cause a hypertropic response.. initially. The water doesn't get thicker or more viscous as training progresses so the strength related stimulus, the resistance from the water remains the same, so muscular gains will plateau relatively quickly, however, vascularity will increase as time or laps increase

don't forget to mention the benefit of being in water that instantly and constantly cools you off no matter how intense it gets.

i saw ops pic and bit my lower lip

now im hard

am I gay now

It's great cardio/gpp but that's about it. Keep in mind that elite swimmers have great genetics and train intensely for several hours a day. Unless you're following the regime of a high level competitive swimmer you won't get a body like that from swimming.

If you're just swimming a few times a week for about an hour you'll just improve your cardio ability and gain a bit of work capacity. So, you might be able to recover a bit better and handle a little more volume. But, pretty much any cardio would have that benefit.

Memester

elite swimmers have those aesthetics because they lift. They just lift to get better at swimming. =>otter

>implying elite swimmers need bodyfat to keep afloat

you should

The more hipertrophy you get, the faster you will swim, and the faster you swim, the bigger the water resistance.

swimming helps getting a nice back

Whenever someone posts this it makes me think that locker room parties must be pretty nice

no homo tho

Fuck, I got a boner. Am I gay now?

it helps you to don't drown in the water

>The water doesn't get thicker or more viscous as training progresses
>the resistance from the water remains the same

t.retard

Do people on Veeky Forums ever research what they're talking about before spouting this broscience?

nah i did too but i still smash pussy every night
as long as you say nohomo it's good

Can I swim on ss rest days?

Ok since this thread is shit, im gonna ask a stupid question.

What would happen if we filled a swimming pool with some sort of viscous liquid? For example a liquid about the viscosity of liquid honey or oil?

Swimming in something like that using various strokes would be a good upper body + core workout, stretch, and cardio.

Why arent we doing this bros?

What are the benefits of being black?

Yeah. Unless you're doing an elite swimmer's workout it shouldn't hamper recovery. If anything it will help recovery and increase work capacity.

Being able to run away from the cops quicker.

Thanks, but another question should I do a beginner's routine or just do a set number of laps?

>What would happen if we filled a swimming pool with some sort of viscous liquid?
It would get stuck in your nose and mouth and you'd suffocate.

Like anything, you need a training program. Casual swimming will not accomplish much.

Do they make waterproof ankle and wrist weights? Or some sort of jacket? Or does that defeat the purpose of swimming with form and whatnot?

Sorta its those weird hand paddle things.

You can't run that fast after being shot dude

That sounds like a good way to drown.

>Swimmers have bodies like this because people with bodies like this are naturally better swimmers
No you utter fucking retard swimmers LIFT FUCKING WEIGHTS

Its a CORE fucking part of their swimming regime.

yeah just get in the pool and swim

>viscous fluids to make micro-progression.
As much as a shitpost as this is its probably not wrong. You probably could get proper hypertrophy going through thicker and thicker fluids.

I can totally imagine someone from Veeky Forums swimming in a progressively more viscous fluid just shouting UMF, THICKER! as they do laps until they get set in cement.

A better system would be to have some bands tied around you that provide increased resistance

Or you could tie some weights to yourself, but you know, you have to train until pretty much failure and failure in a swimming pool makes you win a Darwin Award.

Swimming is for fairies

Just swimming won't give you a bod like that. The swimmers and water polo players I know with physiques like that lift as well. Swimming is just a good form of cardio that doesn't damage your joints and also works your muscles

Only non-cancerous, non-bro science response in this thread

Can someone recommend me a swimming cardio routine?

dailyburn.com/life/fitness/swimming-workouts-every-level/ this is what I used but you could find better. Swimming isn't like lifting. You don't really need to involve much programming with a routine. What I personally do now is HIIT swimming and I alternate between the main strokes when I feel like it.

It is an incredibly important part of Navy SEAL, Royal Marines Commandos, etc. selection and training.

100swimmingworkouts.com/

What? Water is a more viscous fluid than air. You're doing calisthenics in a more viscous fluid than, say, a gymnast. The pool by definition of its contents provides what you're suggesting.

Swimming is GOAT cardio
Easier on the joints than running
"thermal load" (the energy your body burns to maintain it's temperature in water) means you burn more calories than with other activities of similar aerobic levels.

Cons: boring as hell, you can't even change spot now and then like running, and changing pool won't change surrondings.

>inb4 muh cardio kills gains
empty your mouth fatso, I can't understand you with all that cheeseburger in your face. We get it, you strong powerlifters can ruin your dirty bulk by actually moving yourself around, you'd lose those power love handles and power gut.
Funny how adding power in front of something allows to deny you're fat, and would never pass any entry level PT test.

>1km under 30 min is swimming like an athlete
What
I can do 1km in 20 mins without getting out of breath

spotters = lifeguards

>tfw swimming in neutron stars

swimming is absolutely useless for bodybuilding

get off this board

It can help you achieve literal otter mode.

how do i into swimming, i never learnt anything except of breaststroke but i really want to do it

Holy shit.

Even swimmers say that the "swimmer's body" is built in the gym. But it's very solid cardio