Been dicking around maxing out squats/push-ups, etc. a couple times a week for awhile now...

Been dicking around maxing out squats/push-ups, etc. a couple times a week for awhile now, and I want to finally get serious.
I have two questions:
1. Can calisthenics get you as jacked as this statue?
2. How do you structure a calisthenics routine? Does anyone have an example?

Other urls found in this thread:

physicalculturestudy.com/2014/11/18/an-early-history-of-weightlifting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bamp

Calisthenics won't get you anywhere close to that. If you want to look like that take steroids.

And where can one buy these roids?

fucking idiot you can achieve that natty from lifting. wtf is up with people on this board thinking everything is roids?

you seem more reasonable, any answers to my original questions?

1. No. The Greeks practiced weight training. They also would spend 3 hours in the gym per day, from the time they were boys until their deaths. Also that's a statue.

2. Hit every major muscle group, big muscles first, then do cardio at the end. It's best to draw from other routines. You have to progress the difficulty of the exercise movement, such as moving from standard pushups to decline one-arm pushups, with many variations in between. A basic structure, whether calisthenic or free-weight involves movements:
>hip dominant (glute-ham raise, romanian deadlift)
>quad dominant (squat, step up, lunge)
>horizontal pull (row)
>horizontal press (pushup)
>vertical pull (pullup)
>vertical push (handstand pushup)

The order-priority of the routine is to go from potentially dangerous positions to safer, compound to isolation, to move from big muscles to small, pull first and push second, more challenging to easier.

yeah, you can get a nice body like some of the smaller Greek guy statues but a body like pic related from callisthenics would be impossible. If you want this you will need to lift.

Only reason I do calisthenics is because I can't get to a gym (live in bumblefuck, nowhere), but I do have some dumbbells. Got no problems using those too if anyone can point me the right way.

not to say I'm big or anything, but I do calisthenics and suspension training almost exclusively and I look halfway decent.
you can definitely build some muscle doing bodyweight, you just need to advance beyond the standard pushup/pullup/bodyweight squat and move into more difficult exercises.

I treat my programming the same as when I used weights. just set it up however but hit all your muscle groups.

also I meant to add, make yourself a trx suspension system.
it's really easy, I used a set of handles bought from Wal-Mart, 2 cambuckle truck straps, 3 foot of rope, and 2 caribiners.
much cheaper than the 150 dollars for trx brand and it's way way way sturdier.
mine is rated for 2200lbs. never gonna break

Instead buy gymnastic rings for $30
Ive added a lot of mass to my upperbody since adding ring training.

>forearmlet

never gonna make it

I'm working on it :(
didn't know those were so cheap, just looked it up

What do I hook the gymnastic rings to?
And what kind of things do I do with them?

Personally I go to the park and just hook them on a tree.
Also you can do a lot of upper body movements on them.
I start with statics(support hold, L-sit, some move that idk the name of) then move on to muscle ups/rolls, after that I do dip progression(archer dip for me) and pull up progression(L-sit pull up) and I might do some lever work or core exercises as well.
But you can do so many things on them its ridiculous and you can just hook them onto anything you can find and use them. Its the best piece of equipment for the upperbody imo.

I have an open stair set like this but not spiral, and I have way more room than the guy in pic, but I have the rope wrapped around 2 rails (the whole set is steel) and caribiner'd together, then the 2 straps with handles on them caribiner to the rope.

if you can't do that, the handles I got come with a thing you close in the top of your door frame, it's a piece of strap with a plastic block in one side that won't allow it to be pulled through the doorway, it then leaves a loop you can attach to on the other side

>open stair set like this

Even a relatively small amount of weight with DBs can make a big difference for RFESS/Bulgarian split squats, unlike a lot of the bw squat progressions these are pretty immediately accessible.

How do I combine calinsthetics and weight training?

Because the best thing is to obviously train with both of these methods, but how?

Is there any program for this? Like SS + Foundation Series or something?

There are no specific routines for this, you just gotta figure it out.

bamping 'cause theres got to be somebody who's done it

This. Seriously, you anons always say the best is to combine these two methods of training instead of getting in autistic debates on which way is superior.

No one knows how to train both ways for optimal results?

I say we start a riot until we get the answers we deserve

Only thing I can think of is if you did less sets but hit every muscle with both calisthenics and weights in the same workout, or some sort of split where you train weights week A and calisthenics week B

bump

bumping for answers

Calinsthetics is a meme

Why?

If you mean bodyweight exercises then yeah it's pretty effective to throw them in after you do your main barbel movement of the day (and I like doing weighted pullups MUCH more than doing any form of row)
If you mean something more along the lines of tricking or gymnastics then you would do better to prioritize the gymnastics and view the weight training as supplemental.

Calling something a meme is a meme. You only do it if you don't have any actual opinions or evidence on why something is bad.

Greeks didn't have weights back them lmfao, they only did calinsthetics. Do you think they actually had chromium bars then and shit? Lol

physicalculturestudy.com/2014/11/18/an-early-history-of-weightlifting/

Ive seen officialthenx on youtube do squat and deadlift to supplement his bodyweight training. You can look there, i didnt look into those videos because i was looking for a pure calisthenics program.