What's better for hypertrophy: lower reps with heavier weight, or higher reps with lighter weight?

What's better for hypertrophy: lower reps with heavier weight, or higher reps with lighter weight?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/size-vs-strength/
unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/musclesgrowLK.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

say size if you mean size you autist

Questions as dumb and repeatedly asked as this shouldn't even be allowed on Veeky Forums.

Read the fucking sticky.

Medium reps with medium weight.

I the higher reps are but what really makes hypertrophy work well is volume.

The sticky is full of outdated information that makes a lot of absolutist statements from conventional wisdom. It's practically the same as pop fitness articles with broscience you see on facebook, not to mention anything remotely useful has a broken link.

The sticky needs to be updated honestly.

That doesn't excuse OP's retarded know-nothing question about "hypertrophy."

I don't see the issue because he's making efforts to know something about hypertrophy right here.

He's attempting to make an effort without the necessary knowledge/experience.

Like a 200lb overweight person worry about their macros instead of worrying about expending more energy then they take in.

Or a guy who can't even bench 135 asking about how many curl variations he should have on the arms day of his bodypart split that he's been doing since he began going to the gym 1 month ago.

>What's better for hypertrophy: lower reps with heavier weight, or higher reps with lighter weight?

Yes.

1-2 reps is best for power.

3-5 reps is best for strength.

8-12 reps is best for hypertrophy.

6-7 reps doesn't do anything, it's the same as doing 0 reps.

>TFW you realize that you've lost at least 10% of your Relative Muscle Gains every single time you stopped a set at 8 reps or did a 10th rep.

>6-7 reps doesn't do anything, it's the same as doing 0 reps.

lmfao

get out now

What is the difference between power and strength?

This. The sticky is hopelessly one sided. There's more than one path to the top of the mountain...

Power is how fast you can generate maximal force. Strength is the amount of force you can generate.

i like you

according to eric helms book on the basics of weight training, he says something along the lines of
>"overall volume is the determiner of hypertrophy"
that being said
>"heavy weights X low reps with enough sets, would produce the same results as lower weights X high reps with relatively fewer reps"

However, heavier weight produces greater strain on your tendons which take longer to recover. This being the case it is more pragmatic for a body builder to work higher weights.

why would you wear earrings and makeup to the fucking olympics

higher reps and lower weight for hypertrophy *

MAX OUT EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BULGARIAAAAAANNNNNNNN

There's no such thing as a magic number of reps for hypertrophy or strength. It's all about time under tension: more time = more focus on hypertrophy, less time but more weight = more focus on strength

so people refer to you more often and you increase the likelihood of having more babies from more daddies which means more protection for you and your babies and their babies.

so 9 times is the best? why does this occur?

citation needed

Fuck you cunt

>power
>strength
What the hell is the difference?

This is what you should never do AMRAP. If you fail your 8th rep it's all for nothing.

Is this a troll

More of a meme than a troll but not to be taken seriously

Whats the best rep range for losing fat?

fuck your a fucking faggot

Volume for HT.
Intensity for strength, if strength for you means a higher 1RM that is.

Also realize that 5x5 is more volume than 3x10 (assuming weights are adjusted correctly) even though you do less reps.

Do every rep range. Why would you wanna be small and strong or big but weak?

>small and strong
>big but weak

ppl say this all the time, but how often do you see this, realistically in the real world?

sure there might be some exceptions because of genetics where people will have a bigger disparity between strength and size because of their makeup of muscle fibers, but on average you'll see a pretty strong link between the two.

i only know one out of maybe 20 that's super strong for his small size, but he has elite powerlifter genes from his father so

Don't take the b8 m8

>how often do you see this, realistically in the real world?
all the time
only a few people squat over 100 kg and fewer 140 kg, but you could squat that within the first year of lifting if you trained for it, first year strength lifters are not going to look as good as someone that's been training for hypertrophy for several years but they might be able to lift more
there is not a strong link between size and strength

>Outdated information

Things that the sticky covers doesn't become "outdated" you fucking moron

wow, you are a full blown retard

explain

>there is not a strong link between size and strength

is LITERALLY a false statement. not even debatable

>strength lifters
>training for hypertrophy

this meme has been debunked many years ago. there's very little difference between training for one or the other, and it's mainly up to the exercise selection and not anything else. strength training will usually involve more compounds, or specific exercises just to increase the compounds. bodybuilding will instead spend the same time on more accessories, focusing on smaller muscles, to LOOK more balanced.

rep ranges, intensities and whatever has nothing to do with it

powerlifterrs use CRAZY amounts of volume. i don't know where this misconception comes from. they're also huge, but has a great deal of bodyfat, but if they cut they'd look pretty much like a bodybuilder, assuming the same insertions, genetics etc.

Volume is the key for hypertrophy, treat it simply as a number of heavy sets. Do 12-20 sets per muscle group a week (higher for the more experienced lifters). But can you do 20 sets of 3RM squats every week? It drains your nervous system and it's hard to regenerate from, that's why it's recommended to do 8-12 reps for size. You can do fuckload of these series without increasing a risk of injury and it isn't as mentally challenging.

this is fake right..

>is LITERALLY a false statement. not even debatable
strongerbyscience.com/size-vs-strength/
>rep ranges, intensities and whatever has nothing to do with it
unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/musclesgrowLK.html
training for hypertrophy and training for 'strength' (and when I say strength I mean getting a heavier squat, bench, and deadlift) is not the same thing
you will get stronger training for hypertrophy but you won't get as strong as if you were just training for strength
there's also many more ways to progressive over load while doing hypertrophy training like switching from normal leg press to single leg press, changing tempo, increasing reps

people here seem to think "once I hit x deadlift my legs will be huge" but like the other compounds a lot of that depends on technique as well as cns adaption, I'm about done telling you idiots what has already been proven as well as my personal experience

>see pic related
>left click to enter the shitstorm

Time under tension.
Assuming your reps aren't high enough for aerobic recovery to be a factor, then time under tension is literally 99% of what matters (TUT in this regard is interchangeable with volume")

For example, doing 5x12 reps at 2 seconds per rep will yield worse results than doing 5x12 at 3 seconds per rep.

Find a good tempo that makes your sets last ~40 seconds and do as many sets as possible for the best hypertrophy results.

Real answer: nobody knows
Good enough answer: most likely neither, what counts is the number of "hard" sets, ie number of sets where you exhaust your muscle and almost go to failure
Tl;dr answer: can't go wrong with 8 reps

Thank you for posting my boy Maxx. Strength = size btfo.

False statement. Not even debatable.

Please explain pic related and debunk my meme. Ilya is a four time world championship lifter btw.

So much for that strength = size

no worries, these kind of pictures are posted and then never posted again, when webms first came out someone posted themselves strict curling 20 kg 5 times and then placing it on scales to prove it was indeed 20 kg and his arms were noodles
but since it doesn't align with strength = size they are dismissed

Both. The form just give better strength gains which on the future can translate into more hyperthophy
As if the sticky could answer a question this simple
Correct
So it is the cut off? I want to know about this thought process of if a person doesn't meet your standards he isn't qualified enough to be given knowledge about fitness. I personally hope you are a 2,1m 150kg 10bf% individual with 4/5/6/7 lifts for reps.
Correct
Incorrect
Correct
Yes, but if you on and off this style of lifting of course it is gonna take a bigger toll on your body. IMO doing the high reps low weight approach is just taking the low hanging fruit.
FYI Bulgarian was meant for OWL which is a submaximal sport, obviously can be done for strength training/pl but it has to suffer several tweaks.
Incorrect
Read Not such thing, but more volume will always lead to more fat loss
Incorrect
Lurk more, outside.
Incorrect
This dude probably wins this thread
Incorrect

So don't do compound lifts for size. Got it.

Latin people are too busy having their heads cut off

Neither, what matters is total volume

10x3 builds the same amount of muscle as 3x10

>what is south africa