True successor to the British Empire

Is the USA the true successor to the British empire?
Our country has military bases all across the world as a sort of worldwide empire with an unchallenged airforce and navy. We have a huge cultural influence and have helped spread British systems of law and economics across the globe. We even speak the same language and have the same ancestry.
Is the USA the rightful successor?

Bump

Depends on what you define as succesor.

Not really, because the USA has absolutely no interest in being any part of it.
I guess you could technically SAY that if it was interested in such a thing that it would technically be the successor, but seeing as the USA ditched the whole British thing and went on to become infinitely more powerful with little to no real intention of ever becoming "British" again it feels a bit weird to say "they're the successor."

Israel

US has alot of cultural ties to Britain and ever since the world wars have had a special relationship.
Also I wouldn't say 'infinitely more powerful' in reference to the time period as the US doesn't directly control 1/4 of the earth

Calling America the successor to British Empire is like calling England the successor to the Kingdom of France. By the time America became a major power, they were only truly linguistically tied to the UK. America had its own systems of government, they didn’t attempt to emulate the UK. The US supplanted the British as the worlds maritime and commercial superpower on a level the British never came close to, as the US dominates both the Atlantic and Pacific.

>it's another "bitter british people try to pretend that any semblence of their empire still exists/LARP that USA is somehow British" thread

I'm American.
I just like to think Anglo hegemony is a natural succession

>Its another episode of Yanks larping as British again
Can you guys just stop? Why cant you just call yourselves a new Empire instead of trying to leach off of an old and dead Empires. Seriously. Do Americans have such a thorn in their side about being American they have to pretend to be something else just to be proud of their heritage?

No. I'm proud of my British ancestry, it has shaped my nation for good.
America also has its own ideals separate from Britain with a new system of government.
But our similarities to Britain are great and numerous so they can't be ignored.
In many ways American hegemony is similar to British hegemony in dominance of trade, economy, industry, culture and military.
I don't see Britain as a foreign nation, i see it as the mother nation that has birthed an even greater country, the USA

>it’s another “DUDE IS BASED AMERICA SUCCESSOR OF X EMPIRE????” thread

Sorry, only Super Bowl champs get to speak for America. Better luck next year.

The feelings arent reciprocated though. You might be kind of similar to us at a surface level but we are two completely different countries at our cores. And ancestry means nothing unless you have an understand of the culture of the country your claiming to be the succesor to.
We see America like a retarded kid at a playground, you guys are really stupid but really fucking strong at the same time. So we try keep things cordial even when you come and slobber all over us, we even follow you into war just to try and appease you, but recently this has become more and more of a reluctant friendship as people have started to realise America is exactly what we dont want to be as a nation.

You consume our media as we consume yours.
Your writers and playwrights are adapted into American filns which are sold back to your country.
There is more cultural exchange between US and Britain than between other countries. Plus we have linguistic ties

You had a choice my dear, between the good old USA and Europe, you chose the former. It's too late to go your own way now. You've single handedly excluded yourself from major markets, a feat even Napoleon couldn't pull, and now are entirely dependent on the whims of a cheeto puff to sign a major face-saving trade deal.

Yeah we consume your media, thats just because you make so much of it. China consumes your media too to the point where Hollywood is trying to appease them in certian films that doesnt mean they love America. The same media empire thats filled with claims of harrasment and inequality, quintessentially American, has definetly given you a bad rap especially with how much of a sham your award shows are becoming.
And yeah you adapt some of our authors, that doesnt mean anything.
Linguistic ties especially, "British accents" are a thing in America apparently since you guys like them, but the thing is a "British accent" doesnt even exist their are loads of accents over here, same with America, to us there are only two American accents Southern and Normal. Southern we just see as rednecks and Normal is just the typical "white girl at Starbucks" groan that no one likes.
Our linguistic ties mean absoloutely nothing, there are plenty of English speaking countries that we arent really friends with at all, China and Taiwan speak the same langauge (in parts) and they arent tied down linguistically.

Also all my previous points still stand. America is just drooling over a country again. Why cant you guys just be happy with being Americans? why do you have to pretend to be British? we are a pretty shit country tbqh though its an improvement from the US I suppose.
You know nothing about the UK, so stop trying to pretend there is this deep cultural understanding between us, we dont know that much about you and you know barely anything about us or any other country for that matter. Our ties are diplomatic.

Yeah. I know. I only realised this after the vote, to be fair the Remainers campaign neglected to say this and there campaign was bullshit to begin with.
We are fucked, Im just hoping we go down on our sinking ship rather than subject ourselves to the Yanks fat food covered groping fingers.

Bong here. Don’t listen to this guy.

Im a bong too.

>being this much of a sycophant

>United Mutt States controled by Israel
>successor of anythiing

I’m not. I’m not trying to suck up to Americans. I’m just not being a ‘le europeans are superior to you mutts xddd’.

>You know nothing about the UK, so stop trying to pretend there is this deep cultural understanding between us, we dont know that much about you and you know barely anything about us or any other country for that matter. Our ties are diplomatic.

Don’t be so fucking pretentious lmfao. Britain is nearly identical to the US.

I’m British.

Yeah ,10% British, 23% Irish, 37% Mexican, 24% African and 6% Italian.

>Is the USA the true successor to the British empire?

Given that the USA are currently thousands times more influential or powerful than the British Empire ever was at height, I'm not sure the term "successor" is appropriate

No. I’ve lived in the UK my whole life and my entire ancestry is from the Uk.

Stop with the shitty racist superiority complex over le dumb americans xd.

There’s a reason why British people get so much hate here, and it’s because of this deluded superiority complex. Stop being an asshole unnecessarily.

>reddit spacing

The USA is Rome, I thought everybody knew this

Ok.

>Ive lived in the UK my whole life
>British people get so much hate "here"
Yeah lad. Sure you are.

I’m talking about Veeky Forums. The endless British hate threads.

I am going to assume you are probably a retarded kid in sixth form who watches ‘fashwave’ videos of mosley and shares rees-mogg memes on facebook.

Since the US navy is the main peacekeeping force, yes. It's similar.

I'm talking relatively obviously, otherwise modern day north Korea would be more powerful than Britain because missiles and nukes.
USA is probably more influential although in relative power i doubt it.

For starters, Britain actually has a culture. Granted, it's a shit-tier culture by European standards (when contrasted with France or Germany) but a culture nonetheless.

This sounds like projection...

This is a meme argument of literally ‘no you lol’. You have a retarded superiiority complex and make this country look bad.

I'm not the guy. It's just you described something pretty specific

In some sense yeah, succession was literally arranged, we see the handover in the charter agreement, bretton woods and several other exchanges in the 1940s.
Britain knew it's position of dominance was untenable and sought some solace in an anglo-saxon power usurping her.
That being said the USA never exercised the level of international dominance that the UK did and never will.

> pretend that any semblence of their empire still exists/LARP that USA is somehow British" thread
Is this guy serious?

Dont even know what the fuck Fashwave is, Im guessing you learnt all you know about politics from /pol/ and memes. It shows.

USA is pretty close in dominance to the UK. Ever since 1991 US has pretty much been uncontested

Other bong here this guy is a spastic lefty pol

Yanks are lads as much as I like to banter them I’m glad they went there own way as we both benefited along with the world

Because people who post Mutt pics are generally these same types of people.

I mean, I’ve literally never used /pol/ and I’m doing a degree in political science, but ok.

Actual lefty here. Don’t associate me with him.

No
The us doesn’t have the same motivations as the UK does
Though world peace and prosperity is a shared goal that of supporting our own people is not
The US also lacks direct democracy which is commie tier
Leftys in the uk despise the US

>Doing a degree in political science
>Loving Yanks
Not doing very well in it apparently.

I don’t. I like Americans very much. I don’t like the iraq war and foreign coups, but I like Americans.

Reread your post
Then go on /pol/ and read some posts there
You will fit in really well I promise you

>*Leftys in the US despise the US
FTFY

>le epic stupid mutts

When you say ‘yank’, you sound like you’re trying to imitate your grandad.

General consensus from most normal people desu
You can add Hollywood and consumerism to that as well and you would have a very standard european view on America

I've gotten along with every but I've ever met. Don't know where the hatred is

What are you trying to make me say here. I’m a far left socdem and I dislike the US government, but I’ve got nothing against the people, who are very nice.

George bush era thought kids to defend America blindly
The knee jerk reaction to that is the far left neo-Marxists

Europeans have to deal with the fall out of all this with all the kids grown up and using the internet to spout there brainwashed opinions

I’m saying your opinions are not that surprising

>I don't see Britain as a foreign nation
Read the Declaration of Independence

>as people have started to realise America is exactly what we dont want to be as a nation
What, free?

There is nothing that makes a communist's blood boil more than a free people

I was talking relatively speaking too, retard
The British Empire was a meme "hegemon" that at its height needed France, Russia and America to barely beat Germany

Meanwhile, current America could definitly 1vs1 any country on Earth

>The British Empire was a meme "hegemon" that at its height needed France, Russia and America to barely beat Germany

Why are people who only view nations militarily allowed on this board?

That is quite literally an adolescent's view of power.

Even in term of cultural influence, the British Empire was leagues below current America

The only thing I would grant it is the economical dominance that was on par with current American one

Peak british empire was not WW1.
In 1867, Britain's navy was larger than all the worlds navies combined. It had the largest manpower source and the most advanced technology.
Its industrial capacity was supremely unchallenged from the start of the revolution until 1900 when US and Germany challenged it.
Furthermore why do you assume the British empire alone couldn't have defeated Germany. It only took 4 years with all the other countries.
Militarily today the US is challenged by Russia and China. China has a larger army and Russia has more nuclear weapons

The best selling books of all time are British

It's even worse than you think. The USA is also pissed, because you were supposed to be our man on the inside, and now you've torpedoed that and any leverage you might have once had. The best you have is a possibility, not a guarantee, that if you move in lockstep behind us, we might grace you with a trade deal. By the way our chief negotiator happens to be a notorious asshole who ripped off everyone he ever did business with, good luck with that.

This sorta. America is so big though and so many empires set up shop here that different parts of the country seem to be successors to different empires. For instance, California/Texas/Arizona/New Mexico still have a connection to the Spanish Empire.

Louisiana (especially New Orleans) has strong French influences and can be seen as a successor to France.

The British empire just has more important culturally significant cities. New York, Philly, Washington DC, the entire northeast.

Nobody cares about the flyover states as they are not that important.

The British Empire kinda looked at their selves as the inheritor of the Roman Empire, I think it's much in the way the US looks as itself as the inheritor of the British Empire.

It's also why if shit hit the fan, a lot of Americans would volunteer to fight for Britain if needed.

When did Britain ever see itself as the successor to Rome.
Pretty sure they saw themselves as self-made and distinct due to Anglo-Saxon ancestry

>Nobody cares about the flyover states as they are not that important.
>Chicago

Check this book out. It's a long (and sometimes boring) read about Britain. It's full of important politicians and historians at that time who considered Britain as a success to the Roman empire.

>The book also doubles as an extended meditation on Britain's fraught love affair with ancient Rome. Brendon peppers his pages with contemporary allusions to the Roman empire, and they were legion. British rulers were steeped in the classics, from Richard Wellesley, who filled Calcutta's Government House with "the busts of a dozen Caesars", to George Nathaniel Curzon 100 years later, who "lisped in Gibbon". Such training meant that even as they gilded and gloried in their empire, Britons always worried about intrinsic tendencies towards decline.

I meant more states like North Carolina/Kentucky/Tennessee that were more Irish than anything. Minnesota had more Scandinavians. But even without the Brits, these peoples wouldn't have been able to make it in. Britain had the east coast set up nicely for people to get here and venture deeper inside.

Chicago is a wasteland now anyways.