Thicc arms

You guys always laugh at curl bros, but how do they get their arms so thicc?

I've been doing arm workout almost every time I go to the gym, curling 60 lbs barbell for 12x5, 20kg weighted dips 10x5, weighted chinup, wrist curls, yet my biceps are still only 14.5-15 inches.

What's the secret of curlbros?

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/fit/thread/30146641
scoobysworkshop.com/form/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>curling 60 lbs barbell for 12x5
?? and your arms are still small??
either you underestimate your arms or your form is absolutely atrocious

14.5-15 inches is pretty good for a natty, if you are lean.
How long have you been training? It takes a long time to get really big and lean arms.

The guy in your pic uses steroids by the way, that is generally the biggest "secret" to getting big anything.

There's a limit to how much muscle your body can build in a given amount of time.

Let's say your body can build 1kg of muscle a month. You're doing a full body routine an biceps are 10% of your workout. So you're going to build 100g of biceps muscle in a month with 900g of muscle somewhere else. The curlbro on the other hand is going to build 1kg of biceps muscle because he's doing nothing but curls.

That's also why SS is a terrible routine for aesthetics compared to a split.

Is this bait?

Interesting theory

Like 3 to 4 years,
my arms are pretty lean, they are like the biceps are bulged but the rest of the arms are skinny, like the body fat just doesn't go up to my arms, seen a lot of bigger dudes with much thicker arms yet are much weaker than me.

>There's a limit to how much muscle your body can build in a given amount of time.
DYEL

>15 inches
i have long arms so 15 inches looks like shit to me, aiming for 16 inches hopefully by september or november

5'10 180 lbs

If you're only training arms, you gains will be all arms.

What's bait about that?

>What's the secret of curlbros?
Build your triceps up first (for months) with the rope, 3x week, they are key just to build biceps (tris need to be bigger than bis), then absolutely hog the preacher bench and cable machine for that full ROM force on curls.

TOO
MANY
REPS

If you train arms the same amount, but then train legs on top of that, would your arm gains be less?

This lines up nicely with my theory on there only being a finite amount of happiness in the world.

Do you want to exchange notes?

They whisper "grow, grow, grow" while curling

KEK

>ass-pulled nonsense perpetrated by a clueless, uneducated moron: the post

High rep ranges. Super sets. It's less about weight and more about time under tension for building size.

Do a set with 35 lb for 10 reps, immediately followed by a set with 20 lb for 15 reps. Repeat 3 times.

Start light, say 20 lb, do one set for 15-20 reps, then 5 sets of 5 at the same weight with no more than 5 seconds rest between sets.

Do drop sets (40x5, 35x5, 30x5...) with minimal rest until failure.

Also speaking on arm size in general, your triceps do a lot more to make your arms look big than your biceps. Hip rep rope pushdowns are god tier for tricep growth. Chin ups (when you do them properly) are way more lat dominant than bicep dominant. Chins are a great strength movement but not great for size. Wrist curls won't give you big upper arms.

I don't even know where to begin here

Split routines usually work as follows:

-Bis and Back
-Tris and Pecs
-Forearms and Delts
-Legs and Abs
-Filler Day

Fullbody works as:
-Fullbody
-Rest
-Repeat x2

A split works each body part once, the issue being that's it's impossible to work your bis without also working your tris - take curls; your triceps flex at the bottom of the rep, your pecs flex at the top, your front delts flex to stablize the weight, and your back flexes to keep you straight. While your your bis and back are the primary movers, the other muscles are moved by association. The result is that even though bis, back, pecs, delts, and forearms only have one associated day, you actually work them thrice per week, the same amount as you do in a Full Body routine.

In a Full Body routine, you work legs thrice, arms thrice thus resulting in optimal upper and lower body hypertrophy - in a Split, you only work legs once while working upper body thrice. Your legs have physically larger insertions and muscle bellies - your quad is x2-3 longer than your bicep and x2-3 wider as well, therefore your quad has more room to grow and will grow faster than your arms. The muscle of your face will never grow at the same rate as your chest due to being smaller and having less physical space to grow in. Relating this to workout routines, the reason why SS results in T-Rex arms isn't because it doesn't have enough volume for them, it's because your legs outgrow your arms simply due to being much larger muscle groups. Bodybuilders keeping logs have averaged 1" of arm growth per 10 lbs of lean muscle gained - in a year of SS, this would mean 1-2", same with a BB Split. The difference is that proportionally your legs would be much larger which would make your upper body look smaller even though it isn't thus causing the illusion of less size.

>Broscience: The post

What is a bicep exercise for someone who hates working biceps? (not chinups)
I don't mind working triceps but biceps just kill me inside.

Yeah, it's the same with the natty limit. Pretty much everyone can realistically achieve an FFMI of 23 but if you work your legs too hard, you will build most of the mass there. You should focus on building most of your possible lean mass gain in the upper body or it won't be able to grow when you do reach the your genetic limit.

Are curls really necessary? Aren't pullups and rows enough bicep work?

That's not true at all. Fucking dyel bro science.

As per proof, refer to this - 4archive.org/board/fit/thread/30146641

Even Veeky Forums proved this a while back. Two twins, one BroSplit, the other SS - SS guy is way stronger with the same OHP and slightly weaker Bench (200 vs 225) but way better Squat and Deadlift. The body result? SS dude has the same size arms yet way bigger legs. See post #30146773. Also, dubs confirmed on OG.

But yuge legs aren't aesthetic

A 60lb barbell curl is pathetic
Eat more

>But smyall legs aren't aesthetic
Fixed

> tfw left bicep noticeable bigger than right one

what do

Supersets are unproven meme

this is probably the most retarded thing I've ever seen posted on any fitness board ever.

Wank with other hand

Jerk off more vigorously

I like the look of strong legs and glutes. Not Belgian Blue steroid kind of quads and calves, but that look isn't aestethic in upper body either.

lol

t. natty with 17" lean n cold

do your curls OP, what I personally like is dumbbell concentration curl pyramid sets. My arms were close to 18" when I religiously trained them, a bit less now that I just do mandatory curls every now and then between strength work

Post pic. Nobody will believe you otherwise
17" arms lean is exceptional.

also forgot: Supersets

sample back then:
concentration curl pyramid set 8 reps ramping 15->17.5>20>22.5>25>22.5>20>17.5>15

regular curls superset with hammer curls
21s
DB skullcrushers for tris superset with db "close grip bench" travesty, but essentially focussing on burning tris out
db pushbacks (heard these are a meme but worked back then)

was mostly shooting for the pump after training arms, don't do that much these days and I notice that I'm a bit smaller arms-wise

pic from 5 years ago, measured at 17.5" pumped (I'm 6'3" tall). Cut was after bulking to mid 10s bodyfat, where my arms were just above 18"

never touched a barbell at that point, all dumbbell home gym workout, I'm

No way those delts are natty

Dude if you're actually serious, you have some great genetics, but that doesn't really make you more qualified to give advice on how to train arms. As you described, how you changed your training only affected your arm size by like 5%. It just goes to show how futile different training approaches are and how similar the results will be.

Do you not have a recent pic?
Mirin tho.

oh and: time under tension was also key when I was really focussing on arms. It takes much longer (and I personally would sperg out doing it in a public gym) but at one point I was really following the timing on bodybuilding work and listening to e.g. scooby for maximal contraction etc.

these days I train barbell compounds for fun but I kinda feel the lack of arm volume, would probably lose further size if I wasn't on a surplus right now

you got to be fucking kidding me, they dont even look that great. get a fucking grip mate

I've been the same size for about 5 years now, give or take, not enough progress
I still do my old arm routine every now and then at home because I'm scared of more deflating going on, I'm pretty sure that my old chasing-the-pump approach was more optimal compared to my current strength training
I do, but a) my bf% is a few % higher and I have puffy nips and b) I'd probably depress people for not making much progress if any at all

Bait?

>The guy in your pic uses steroids by the way, that is generally the biggest "secret" to getting big anything.

This board has fucked your mind you idiot. Dude does not look like he juices at all. Fuck off

no, I'm serious. Pullups feel like they really hit my biceps. I'm not a very advanced lifter but it looks like everything is getting bigger, more or less.

IMO, I'd say compounds are the best bang for your buck, time/effort-wise. Think of it that way, rows/pullups are enough to reach 90% of your arm gains, to get more growth you supplement it with curl variations etc.

>I do, but a) my bf% is a few % higher and I have puffy nips and b) I'd probably depress people for not making much progress if any at all

Fair enough, appreciate the honesty. Don't blame you. Veeky Forums is full of 3 month lifting faggots who think that every year of lifting should definitely mean 20lbs of LBM gained.

I'm basing it more on the blatant shoulder and bacne he has.

Holy shit senpai is that the lifetime fitness in Woodstock, Georgia

Are barbell rows gonna do anything for biceps? I'm gonna add them to my routine soon and it would be nice with some extra arm gains.

what the fuck are you blabbing about

>thats not how it works
Yes he is correct
t. personal trainer

>t. personal trainer

lmao like that means anything.
Most personal trainers seem to have more misinformation than the average dyel.

You say this without knowing his height, weight and training experience. He probably has a pump. Looks like he's also doing lateral raises in the pic so his shoulder is also tense. And I don't see this bacne you mentioned. Just shut up and stop giving people false ideas about their ability to gain muscle. Again, that guy doesn't look like he uses steroids

Never gonna make it

>there's no limit to protein synthesis

What even would be the point in roiding if you could gain an infinite amount of muscle as long as you did a little training ? Obviously training economy is a thing and there's a limit to how much you can gain in a certain period of time.

Maybe he doesn't have the numbers exactly right but the spirit of the argument is true. You'll gain muscle on whatever you prioritize and there's a finite amount you can gain based on limits to protein synthesis

This is true, albeit SS is still a shitty program for beginners who care about aesthetics.

All right all of you listen up.
I'm 20 yo 176(5'10) 69kg(152lbs)

I've never done curls in my life until 2 months ago, didn't even go to the gym, all i did was PULLUPS CHINUPS and DIPS.
My arms were 32-34cm(13-13.5in) inches at that point(didn't measure often) and after 2 months of doing curls 2 times a week, pullups/dips 3 times a week my arms grew to 37(14.8in).

So the secret is
WORKING OUT you cucks

This is true, and I think people just laughing this off are deluding themselves and trying to cope with the fact that THEIR way of doing things is not optimal.

>person A: works out every single muscle on his body, consumes 3000 calories a day
>person B: exclusively works 3 muscles (shoulders, traps, legs for example), consumes 3000 calories a day

Muscle repair obviously requires time and energy. These are only in finite amounts, therefore concentrating your resources on fewer muscle groups will yield better results.

Say you are given £3000 PER DAY to feed 7 people. Each of those 7 people will be given an amount.
Say another person has £3000 PER DAY to feed 3 people. Each of those 3 people will have more food respectively.

Common sense. This is why I always skip calves and forearms.

Rippletards on suicide watch

How fucking DYEL are you?

17.5 inch arms and i still feel they are small as fuck

anything below 18 is laughable tier irl

bigorexia

Pendlay/Bent rows, DB rows, lat pulldown etc. Etc. . If you dont want to work the bicep directly youll have to do compounds.

>average adult males arm size is 13"
>anything below 18 is laughable
rly makes you think

Prove it.
You're probably fat as fuck.

Post pic, I bet you look terrible.

yes
doesn't change the fact that all you need to do is workout

I came to the same conclussion couple months ago, it's just basic laws of physics, but nowadays everyone is doing muh compound movement and they end up looking like a T-rex with big legs waist and asses, kek

what's your routine? Sets and reps. Times per week.

shoulder routine?

£1000 to feed 1 person per day is a lot. Too much I'd say. What the fuck are they eating?

>Didn't even go to the gym
>Arms grew when they started going to the gym

Really, user? You don't say?

You can make fun of him but it actually makes sense and it's gonna go mainstream sooner or later, save my post, as will bro splits again come back to graces, and everyone will make fun of todays autistic 5x5 fbw compound movement BS. Fitness industry is oversaturated with some rocket science when it's all actually very simple, back in the day people didn't know what a periodisation is yet they had equal gains by just pumping their guns

wut? 60 lbs is nothing

based

>db pushbacks

these cured my pretty bad elbow pain that prevented me from doing any other tri workout literally the second i did them

assuming db pushback is the same thing as kickbacks

standard push/pull split, and as said back then I wasn't doing any barbell training. I posted my routine from back then in another thread (), it's definitely subpar for strength gains but it did the hypertrophy just fine for me while working out at home. Key is progressive overload and eating enough. I sometimes experimented and implemented new exercises, like e.g. dumbbell pullovers on some days etc., but the basic exercises were done just focussing on proper time under tension and squeezing muscles in controlled reps.

Thinking back, barbell training has recently given me more thickness in my posterior chain that this mere db routine hasn't, so keep that in mind.
yeah didn't understood them being mocked sometimes back then.

Can you explain what proper time under tension and squeezing muscles is?

You said Scooby explained this, link?

I sometimes did sets with e.g. 2 sec concentric 3 sec eccentric, i.e. counting how fast I do a lift (that was mostly on the arm stuff, so concentration curls). Was kinda autistic at times, but seemed to work just fine for big pumps along with those pump pyramid sets that I adapted from tinytrip back then.

I haven't watched scoobys stuff in years, but for bodybuilding alone it was quite helpful, google e.g. scoobysworkshop.com/form/

and for squeezing the muscles, I'd say focus less on the weight that goes up rather than the muscle that does the work, if that makes sense. When I do a compound lift these days, it is more of a whole-body motion that comes naturally, but for e.g. the concentration curls I saw it as flexing my biceps with weight attached to it, and doing it slow/controlled added to that.

depends on height, im 6'4 and my 17" arms feel pretty small

they werent kidding when they said triceps make up the majority of the muscle in your arm

i decided to test this and only trained biceps until they were 15 inchs round but when i trained triceps daily instead they exploded to 17 inchs in like 2 months

>when I trained one muscle in my arm, arm was small. when I trained other muscle too, arm was big.

absolutely incredible.

lower the weight , and increase reps focus on the pump and form for a while . dont train the same rep range all the time. From my experience i can go heavy but i get biger when i increase volume or superset biceps/triceps

Those with a big muscle group tend to focus on that group

Chad curls in the squat rack

You actually squat

Veeky Forums - Fitness

His point was that he stopped training biceps and did triceps instead to see what matters more.
However, his biceps most likely didn't reduce meaningfully in size over those 2 months.

but preacher curls are like 1/3 ROM?

My arms have been 34cm for a while and I recently switched to PHUL and now ULPP.
Definitely focusing more on arms now

You would have to prove that this limit is exceeded in natural training.
You would have to prove that this limit is what would be bottlenecking your biceps growth.
The biceps is a tiny muscle, it can only grow so much, no matter how exclusively you train it.
You would assume that, as such, it will also "drain little of the protein synthesis limit".

We are full into bro science "this sounds like it makes sense" territory now.
Useless assumptions, disregard.

Never done curls in my life, arms are 44cm.

The solution is to be tall and 20% ish BF, kek.

that's not how any of this works

i was just like you bro, I understand how you feel.

Ditch the fucking barbell curl, and start doing cable curl, very easy to position your hands in a position you can't possibly cheat and you'll see gains. and you will actually enjoy it.

Also imo if you're ever gonna use dumbbels, use them for curls, it's pretty much the 1 ou of maybe 2 things they are good for. Additionally google bayesian curl.

I very rarely post here, but I know how you feel and decided to give my 2 cents.

Also no, for anyone, chin-ups, rows etc are NOT enough for biceps. I mean it's enough if that's what you settle for, but curls will take you to the next level. Especially if you have shit biceps genetics, do curls.

60 lbs barbell is not a lot. You just need to lift bigger

biceps are fatigue resistant and recover very quickly

hit them 3x a week, same goes for rear delts btw

reaching the natty limit means that ALL of your muscular potential has been reached, a curlbro who never trains legs will never reach an ffmi of 25 because his legs can still make noob gains