African history general! This isn't a troll thread, nor is it an afrocentric one...

African history general! This isn't a troll thread, nor is it an afrocentric one. It's simply dedicated to the discussion of African history. I'll do an image dump in a few, I just have to get back to my computer. In the meantime, have this picture of some bronze heads from modern day Nigeria.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wa0st_aMjmA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zera_Yacob_(philosopher)
youtube.com/watch?v=wRL2lJQLco4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I ask the mods to do their jobs and ban any trolls that shit up this thread too much.

Nubian pyramids

Berber traditional buildings

Oh, it's you again. I support the thread and am interested in black civilization in and around Nigeria.

Ps: Egypt isn't black.

These bronze sculptures are all from Nigeria, by the way.

Sadly, a lot of the bronze casts are ruined now.

No one is "black"
"Black" is a stupid term and cultureless people use it, be it for themselves or others
Egypt isnt black, but it IS African

Yes it is, no one disputes that.

These pics are cool, though. Gives you an idea of what they may have looked like.
This. No one is claiming ancient Egyptians looked like modern day African Americans. They have always been somewhat ethnically diverse. Some look completely Arab, some look more sub-Saharan.

continuing the bronze heads

South African colorful huts

how were these made? are there remnants of cities or towns? are there any paintings?

Last one I have of the fragmented bronze casts, sadly.

OP here, this is a useful video if you want to know more. youtube.com/watch?v=wa0st_aMjmA

These girls are a fine example. They aren't black, but they aren't Arabs either.

They look like south indians lol

But then you have people like this too. It's hard to say what should be defined as the "Egyptian look" and what shouldn't, to be honest.

Ethiopian alphabet, the only alphasyllabary to be constructed without being derived from the Hindu script

OP here, I'm back on my computer, so I'll be dumping some pictures. Pic related is Beninese.

This is also from Benin.

This was most likely made for a Portugese man by an artisan in Benin.

Nsibidi, and ideographic type script used in Nigeria in 15th century

I can't get enough of these casts.

What the Beninese might have looked like.

Tifinagh script, used to write berber languages

Ok, I think I'm done posting bronze casts now, lol.

Thread monitored and approved of. Wish the mods would close down the race bait stuff better. And humanities shouldn't be an excuse for /pol/ with dates

This sculpture and many others like it were made by the mysterious Nok people (named after the Nok village in Nigeria where these were first found)

What sucks is, we are completely clueless as to who they were and how their civilization worked.

Picture of Axumite obelisk.

Old statue of a Nkisi,(spirits, or objects that spirits invaded)

Ethiopian art.

Ethiopian church.

what happened to them

Sudanese traditional clothes

Do you mean, like, how they were destroyed?

what is that covering their mouths? armour?

what period are this from?

yes

4th century(when it was built), but some sources say it was made in the 11th century when it was reconstructed after the original

My best guess is they're beads, similiar to the ones this Beninese woman are wearing. Just google "Benin traditional clothes" for more examples.
A lot of them were taken to museums/destroyed by the British.

Ethiopian castle.

The Mopti mosque in Mali.

Some of the ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani.

Mali empire traditional artichecture

Nice contribution. What sucks is a lot of the really huge stuff that was built under Mansa Musa (by his amazing architects) is gone now.

This one is really beautiful

It's so close to early Christian art in Europe. What are some good books about Christian art and it's spread around the early medieval world?

The oldest illustrated and organized bible is an Ethiopian bible

Yeah. Imagine what being there at the height of the empire must have been like.

It's amazing how little most people know about Ethiopian religious history.

Oh, and by the way, if you're interested in Ethiopian history, I highly recommend checking out Zera Yacob. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zera_Yacob_(philosopher)

Traditional Dogon artichecture
Pretty comfy imo

c o m f y

Are you interested in the Dogon? If you are, listen to this audio piece. Good stuff. youtube.com/watch?v=wRL2lJQLco4

Also, on a side note, why are Dogon houses so similar to Puebloan ones? Pic related are Dogon houses.

Pic related are some more Dogon cliff houses. What is remarkable about the relative similarity of these houses and the Puebloan cliff houses is that is shows humans think alike no matter where they are.

These are the Puebloan ones

This house is from Cameroon, built in the style of the Bamileke people. Really neat stuff.

Nice

Dumping some more Bamileke architecture.

I know, right?

>They aren't black
Is this what passes as white in America these days?

honest question: were it not for colonialism would this culture be more prevalent and more developed?

OP here. I'm Norwegian, and I wouldn't say they're the same ethnicity as American black people. They'd obviously be considered black here despite their straight hair and slightly different skin tone and facial features, but mistaking them with West African people is impossible.

biggg niggaz

If insteadof colonialism there would be trading and even ruling, it would be millions times better

Africa being historically underdeveloped is a myth. Africans discovered agriculture independently, they discovered metallurgy independently (and not later than the rest of the world), they built empires the size of multiple European ones put together, they had some of the richest people in history (even the richest man ever by some estimates, the emperor of Mali, Kankan Musa), they traded amongst themselves and with others. They had art, music, universities, you name it. Africa still does, for that matter. I think the only reason Europe took over is because of their rapid technological advancements just prior to colonialism. Remember, Africans and Europeans have been peaceful in contact since ancient times.

I'm not saying colonialism is the only reason for Africa's problems, but I'd say a huge deal of them stem from colonialism and neo-colonialism (which can be the work of Africans too).

>Africans and Europeans have been peaceful in contact since ancient times
huh?

>Africa being historically underdeveloped is a myth
Partly.

I'm saying there has been lots of peaceful contact between Africans and Europeans throughout history. This quote from the wikipedia article on the European exploration of Africa is a good example: "By the Roman imperial period the Horn of Africa was well-known to Mediterranean geographers. The trading post of Rhapta, described as "the last marketplace of Azania," may correspond to the coast of Tanzania. The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, dated to the 1st century AD, appears to extend geographical knowledge further south, to Southeast Africa. Ptolemy's world map of the 2nd century is well aware that the African continent extents significantly further south than the Horn of Africa, but has no geographic detail south of the equator (it is unclear whether it is aware of the Gulf of Guinea)"