Why do we live in the world dominated by the English-speaking countries...

Why do we live in the world dominated by the English-speaking countries? Can Anglos' success be explained by their cultural characteristics?

Consider this passage from Zizek:
>Hegel was among the first to see in the geographical triad of Germany, France and England an expression of three different existential attitudes: reflective thoroughness (German), revolutionary hastiness (French), utilitarian pragmatism (English). In political terms, this triad can be read as German conservatism, French revolutionary radicalism and English liberalism. In terms of the predominance of one sphere of social life, it is German metaphysics and poetry versus French politics and English economics.

Would it be a stretch to claim that people in Great Britain were more business-minded and entrepreneurial than people in the competing European countries? It seems to me that Anglos were the ultimate Chad of Europe, in comparison to sissy leftist Frenchies and nerdy uncharismatic Germans.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Modern_French
twitter.com/AnonBabble

English as lingua franca is an American achievement, not British

English didn't replace French as lingua franca until 1950s

>Why do we live in the world dominated by the English-speaking countries?

Your premise is wrong
We live in a world utterly dominated by ONE English-speaking country

>americans actually believe this

Yeah, but many of those British values were passed to Americans.

There has been countless studies done to disprove this theory
Asia was effected by American influence not Europe

Literally luck.

>Žižek
Quoting a meme """""philosopher"""""

America obviously has British values for its foundation (despite being born out of anti-British sentiment), but it has eventually evolved into its own thing to the point of those values becoming almost unrecognizable in American culture. There is nothing particularly British about modern America.

It was da rothschilds.
They set up base in England and rule the world from there. Only retards thinks it an issue of nations

This. Bow to your overlords peasants of the world

Germans are the Chads, English are the slimy Jews. Unfortunately, in the imperfect world created by the Demiurge, the slimy Jew wins over the masculine honorable Chad.

>British about modern America

Common law though. One could argue that a country's legal system may play a big role on its economy. America wouldn't America without common law.

>Speaking English
>Majority Protestant
>Capitalistic to the nth degree
>Strong naval tradition
>There is nothing particularly British about modern America

>he thinks in terms of nationalism instead of class struggle
You will always be in the dark comrade

He's right tho

>During the 17th century, French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations (lingua franca). It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century, when it was replaced by English as the United States became the dominant global power following the Second World War.[61][62]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Modern_French

Dawww...the Brits want to swoop in like a deadbeat father "adopt" us as their legitimate offspring.

Well, adopt pic related first, "dad" and we'll talk.

>Asia was effected by American influence not Europe

Oh you!
Barely anyone in Continental Europe could speak English until the post-WW2 American cultural hegemon flooded the place with its entertainment products (Hollywood, Pop music and the the internet)

At the height of the British Empire in 1914, German siplomats still had to use French ("chiffon de papier") to talk with British ones

As late as WW2, you can find accounts of US troops having to use French to talk to civilians in Germany and Italy

If France or the Netherlands or whoever had managed to conqueror pic related I think it's a given their language / culture would be the world language / culture today.

Why it was Britain that ended up on top in the colonization game, I suspect it's mostly a historical accident, but they clearly had a 'winning' culture (but then so did most of Western / Northern Europe since those countries didn't really lag Britain itself in development, they just ended up with much shittier colonial empires)

Shut up retarded British tranny

What's bizarre is why French retained its 'lingua franca' status so long into the 19th and 20th centuries. I suspect English didn't take over so quickly since the elite of the anglosphere used to all learn French as a signifier of being cultured (probably a hangover from the Norman conquest). Pretty sure French is still the most common second language in the Anglosphere for sentimental reasons (maybe recently overtaken by Spanish for purely practical reasons).

As I said there have been many studies done
British newspapers remain far more popular than American news outlets in Europe
The BBC spread English though Europe during WW2 when England was the last beacon of hope
This carried though to the next generation which speaks British English

>anti-British sentiment
No. The founding fathers saw themselves as British and wanted their rights as British gentlemen

Not that there's much difference, but different countries tend to prefer 'British' v. 'American' English to learn. In Europe it's all British AFAIK, but in Japan, Korea, and (I believe) China they prefer the American standard (but not in Southeast Asia weirdly enough).

Yes as I said in my first post
It’s due to British influence

Blue is where English English is taught
Red is where American English is taught.