What is the real average male bench press taking into account guys inflating their numbers by 100+ lbs...

What is the real average male bench press taking into account guys inflating their numbers by 100+ lbs? I find it hard to believe the average guys benches 180 lbs

nowhere close to that

the average starting weight I observe at the gym is around 50 kg

The average male is definitely not benching anywhere near that

I'd be surprised if the average male could bench 100 lbs

So I'm probably correct and its mostly guys just massively inflating their numbers? I'd guess that most of the population cant bench their own weight let alone 1plate

>What's your one rep max, bro?
>105kg
>Really? When I used to lift, back when I was 16, I was benching 120 bro

Every time.

180 seems like a reasonable average. But it's definitely not the median

i would say that is the max average in the gym.

most dudes don't actually go to the gym in th 16-35 range, hardly any fat fucks go to the gym older than that.

I would guess the average guy can probably do 1plate for one really sketchy ass-off-bench rep.

Maybe a bit more if the guy is a fatass.

Seems pretty average where I live, but there's a lot of factory workers and farmers here, so it's probably not gonna be the average everywhere

I feel better about doing like 140 pounds x10 now. I know that without serious bulk I'd never reach 1pl8 but I just wanna get to "working out with 180 pounds"

Worldwide?
Male population disregarding age?
Probably
10 kilos

It's hard as fuck to tell, most guys I know never do 1rm's and don't know what they *can* bench.

>"hey bro how much do you bench"
>"155 for reps, but I could probably bench 225 one time if I tried"

Recent convo with a friend.

Yeah well according to /fit the average browser is 6'8''+ and 300lbs+

it's feeling pretty summer in my gym right now so i'm not seeing many impressive lifts. lots of the beginners are still stuck

if you're an average size guy and have done literally anything physical in your entire life, you should be able to bench press your body weight without ever training for it

if you can't you are either way too fat, or way too underweight

You are delusional fampai.
Average would be around 50-60kg.

Lifting 13 months and my best is 185 for 4 reps.

My chest is absolute garbage.

That sentence didn't make sense. It should be can't bench 1plate let alone their own weight. Unless everyone has suddenly turned anorexic.

if you can do 30 or more pushups, benching your body weight one time should be no problem

do people not have gym class anymore? When I was in high school I can honestly remember maybe one normal sized male not being able to 30 pushups. Most of the people i know could bang out 50. This was before I ever lifted.

are you guys just a bunch of sedentary neets who think the entire world is like you?

I'm sorry but you are pathetically below average

>tfw 165x5 poverty bench
>tfw chestlet

Avg male that doesn't work out is between 40-60kg bench.
Avg guy that work... whatever, just check this site, it has that info.
symmetricalstrength.com or something, there's a table that has ranges depending on fitness level, age, and shit.

Iktf

I can do 155 for like 8 reps. I can put 185 up for a one gross rep. I feel like that's really weak still.

Guys how's my specs for 9 months of lifting? In lbs
>OHP: 105
>Bench: 185
>Squat: 285
>Dead: 405

>120, Really?
When I used to lift at the age of 3 I was benching a max of 235

Know that feel. 6 and a half months here and currently barely able to do 170 for 5x5. In my defense I've been cutting for the past 2 months so it's harder to go up.

Never understood the 1 rep meme. If you truly want to compare weights then choosing a number of reps you actually do on a daily basis is better.

>10 kilos
>The bar is 20
Nigga, how?

kg;dr

I forgot I wasn't on Veeky Forums and asked a guy "can you spot me daddy". He was wearing headphones so I don't think he heard me. Still embarrassing :/

This

1 plate on each side is a 135 pound bench press.

>they count the bar

10 months here, hit 160lbs x5 today
deloaded more times than I can count

i mean the average male who has never lifted yeah, but there's a lot of blue collar people who do physically demanding jobs resulting in decent benches even if they don't lift. I'd guess average is 115.

I would say the average bench is over 100, but perhaps the average guy can't put up more than 100 - depends on if you're looking at average dude or mean of population.

the correlation is different for most, and some calculators just overshoot completely in 1RM calculations. 1 RM is the best way to measure strength

I just started lifting late may, so under a month now. I'm fat as fuck(6'2" 297lbs[was 392 in january]) and have never really needed strength for anything in my life. A few days ago I did my first 5x5 135lbs BP. Id' say thats a good average for gymgoers, but I doubt iot holds up for anyone who doesn't regularly go(Not including people with physically active jobs).

I might also be off a tad because I use the machine for it, given I have noone to go with.

Kind sir, it is common practice to include the weight of the bar when measuring a lift.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to list the weights that you can do 5 reps of, not your one rep maxes.

>tfw my bench stalled at literally 180

i'm only 5'7" but still. it's embaressing

use a machine for what? If you use a machine, you're not doing the lift

also, at 300 you're going to have a bit higher absolute numbers than the average non-fat 150 guy

The Smith Machine. I would be using free weights, but I've pinned myself on the bench enough times to want an exit plan.

>I might also be off a tad because I use the machine for it
Yeah, no, that doesn't count.

>pinned myself on the bench

why not just lift the weight off of you?

a smith machine bench press is not your bench press that you can state in forums bucko

Get off the smith machine asap.

Take that flat bench and set it in the power rack with safeties so you can bench for real.

Yeah I meant 2pl8, that's something I'm not reaching in a long time

The gym I go to doesn't have a rack, or I would be. Is a 3D Smith Machine at least a bit better?

Small percentage of people bench around 200 or more. Usually the only ones benching over 200 are also well over 200 pounds so that bench becomes even less impressive. The average is probably around 1 plate

>tfw only 150x7 at 144
>tfw manlet
>tfw chestlet

>thread samefagged to hell by a D- troll

>tfw can barely do lmao1pl8 at planet fitness with a 20lb bar and those annoying ass cables
>tfw 2years ago when I was in shape and at 24hr fitness my orm was 275 including the bar
Fuck

>two new terms i learned in math in grade school today
of course the median and the average isnt the same brainlet, why did you make me waste your time reading this post

I have long arms and a terrible looking chest and finally did 1 pl8 after a few months.

Judging from the people at my gym, discounting those obv on roids I'd day the average is 160 1rm.

With strict form for reps probably 145

>53 posts
>35 IPs
Meaning most people posted once or twice
fuck off

Yeah 180 being the male average overall seems like a giant overshoot. Its very rare to see guys repping that weight, not so rare to see guys who can hit it for one or two, but those are people who have been training for a while.

Also people saying but muh manual labour I guess haven't done a lot of manual labour, there are almost no situation where you need much chest strength, mostly a lot of back core and arm strength is required.

Id say with the twinks that I see walking around these days 100 lbs would be a more realistic average.

Does anyone here do 225 for reps? That has been my goal since starting to lift on and off for the past 3 years. I've been at 210 for reps stopped for a few months and had to start again at 175. I'm at 210 now, 3 sets of 8 reps, but as a fatass losing doing keto as I lift progress is slow. I hope to be doing 225 for reps by oct. or nov.

>there are almost no situation where you need much chest strength
Look at this tool with his tiny wrenches

rofl? who the fuck includes the weight of the bar when they say how much you can lift...?

im a 6'5 lanklet that started from charlie's grandpa mode. my arms are a mile long desu

it took 3 months to hit 1 pl8 bench

Every sane person. Does the 45lb bar disappear?

the bar is implied dude everyone knows that lol

I suppose you count the weight of your arms too?

counting the bar in your weight total you might as well add in air resistance for the upward motion lol

>not factoring in the buoyant force caused by the displacement of air from your bar+plates

Before I started lifting, I was naturally athletic and played sports my whole life, and my max was around 115lbs.

So 95-115lbs sounds about right for a regular male.

Dumb topic.

According to Symmetric Strength, an untrained 20 year old male at about 200 pounds should be able to bench press 105lbs. However, keeping in mind how much your lifts increase when you finally get the lifting form down efficiently, a beginner would probably be around 85 to 95 pounds.

Especially since this retard didn't even care to speculate which way the median would be. Fuckin normies.

Fucking amateurs I swear, I set the 120+ kg PL deadlift world record twelve hours after being born

At my peak physical condition I was only able to bench 305 at a meet in the 181 weight class. Just getting back into lifting this last year after a 2 year hiatus. I can only bench 185 for a set of 3 or 4.

Dude this is becoming so fucking common.

10 months training
90kg for 2 reps
68kg bw
Im happy
Wanna get to 10kg 1rm till end of 2017
Then ill stop powerlift training bench and sim for volume for a while

hahahahaha 120 lb difference between squat and pull... spotted the leglet

How do guys on this site have such ridiculous numbers? I've been lifting seriously for a few months now and my squats and deadlift are way less than yours.
OHP: 120
Bench: 180
Squat: 160
Deadlift: 240
What am I doing wrong brahs? I train legs just like the rest.

Can do these for 6 reps btw

No. Just lay the bar on your stomach when you fail, and roll the weight down to your thighs as it rests on your body. Sit up once it's off your torso, and stand up.

be me
tear acl joint
2 years on and off lifting bc idiot
back in it for 3 moths
225 lb flat bar 2 sets of 3
tooo scared to go heavier or try again
constantly hold self back for fear of re injury

>benched 135 for 6 my first time in the gym
>5'8 160 pound manlet

You faggots should've been more active growing up

I can progress linearly no problem when it comes to upper body, but my squat is seriously fucking pathetic. I can add 5 pounds per week if I have good workouts.

>135 press
>210 bench
>225 squat
>275 dead

i try to do this but some fucker always has to come help me the second i start the roll. it's almost more shameful this way. leave me alone NERDS!

Why wouldn't it be 180 on average? Anyone who's lifted regularly for 1+ year can probably do more than that and most non trained people are probably in the 130-155 range

Lol

This fucking guy

1) You overestimate the amount of people who even go to the gym. I did a Fermi estimation on shit like this a long time back here, and I'm not going to do it again, but basically even using insanely optimistic numbers and assuming every single person in a gym was a world-class roider, our numbers are so insignificant, it would barely budge the world average. Doesn't really matter what you're measuring: strength, size (the particular argument then was arm circumference). I could do an extremely simplified version right now. Say one BILLION people went to the gym, exactly half were dudes, and they all benched 315 while the rest of the six billion did not go to the gym, half were male, and they magically lifted 135. The average would still be 161 lbs. Even at all 3 billion males at 155 lbs bench, the average would be just shy at 178 lbs.
2) It's likely you're assuming too much of people who do not train, especially aiming for that 155 upper limit.

Holy fuck what is up with the anons IT who think 180 is impressive. I mean I don't think that's the male average either, but gym average? I think easily. I remember everyone in my high school weightlifting class could at least hit 200 ORM and people here say it's rare to see a guy repping 180 at the gym? I rep 2pl8 and I've certainly never seen anyone act overly impressed with that. And I'm certainly not the biggest or strongest guy at my gym lol

In 3 years of lifting I have seen maybe 4 guys ever hit 2 plate or more, don't believe any of the lies you see on Veeky Forums

Average consistent lifter is usually doing no more than 155. Skellies and dyels can't even do 1 plate

You have to remember, these guys probably go to PF and not a real gym.

I was doing 155 when I was 15 fucking years old

>lifting seriously for a few months now
try thinking next time before you post.

The average is about 3lbs
because 99% of men have never done a single benchpress, so their number is 0, bringing the average way down.

>3 years at a gym
>only four guys benching lmao2plaet or more

what kind of weak, faggot gym do you go to

i'm a 145lb manlet and i can bench lmao2plaet for 3x5

You're just starting out, so you haven't had time to progress much. Stick with it and your lifts should balance out. If they don't, either your routine sucks or you're not pushing yourself hard enough on your lower body lifts.

Congratulations, you are one of the .00000001% of lifting 15 year olds

>Skellies and dyels can't even do 1 plate
as a skelly who is just starting out, I can confirm
my 1 rep max is about 110

No, there was a gym full of them at my high school

basically football player standard

I'm pretty sure you go to a worse version of Planet Fitness

college gym open to the public

also those e-stats mean nothing without proof, till then you are lying like the rest of this board

that sounds fucking stupid, rather use a smith machine than do this autistic shit

congrats, my friend did 240 at 16

Keep at it, bro. I was stuck at 185 for reps about a year in too. Do some incline, some chest flyes, and consider doing chest 2-3 times a week.