Advice for someone who just turned 18? Things you wish you knew? Oldfags very welcome

Advice for someone who just turned 18? Things you wish you knew? Oldfags very welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

cronometer.com/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060216/
youtube.com/watch?v=GtcovtMbV8E
amazon.com/Certified-BPA-Free-Reusable-Microwavable-Containers/dp/B0128YT76S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498710085&sr=8-5&keywords=food prep containers
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

watch your diet ASAP and never let yourself get even skinny fat

Don't isolate yourself into a bubble.
We're here to help you reach your goals, but those goals should be to live a productive and healthy life, not to impress us.

PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN

I wasted literally years of potential progress by not getting enough protein and not watching my diet.

All you need to gain muscle mass is .7g/kg body mass, regardless of calories (unless you are doing something stupid like -1000 a day). Get at least 8 hours of sleep a day.

Work out consistently, don't overtrain, its not worth injuring yourself to squeeze out one more rep that will literally make no difference to your progress in the long run.

Don't lift for girls. In fact, don't do anything solely for girls. Do it for yourself

Make a mental image of where you want to be in 10 years. Doesn't need to be overly specific, but keep it realistic.

From now until then, every decision you make should directly, or indirectly, help you achieve that image.

Leave Veeky Forums and never look back

Keep alcohol to an absolute minimum.

yeah, learn to post your little advice bullshit on the right board, idiot. fuck off, immature brat.

Always have goals and strive for something. Settling for mediocre will ruin you.

What are some easy ways to get protein in that are also low calorie? (not including protein powder)
I dont think I've been getting enough protein

Seconded. I'm 20 and interning in corporate IT right now and whenever I look around I see people who settled in life left and right.

I'll make it simple:

!) Always lift
2) Get a high GPA in school
3) Find internships in school
4) Build a 5 year plan for short, medium and long term goals
5) Build strong social networks - a man is defined by the strength of these relationships and his worth in society

GL homie. Leave this place and try not to get sucked into it.

fish
salmon, tuna, sardines, etc
canned or not its got shit tons of protein and low amounts of calories
just watch out for the mercury on some

>Go to school
Get you BA/BS at the very least of learn a trade. I didn't go to school until later in life when I started hanging out with educated people. After that I pushed through all the way to my MA which I finished last year. It's really boosted my career.

>Don't drink
Alcohol is poison and I wish I knew that. Society makes it seem so cool and fun but it's destroying our livers and mental health. Drink some fucking water

>Your body is just like a car
You can't floor that mother fucker. Sometimes that means lifting lighter to preserve your joints.

>Marriage
Don't get married until you are at least 27. Don't have a baby out of wedlock. Don't date someone below your standards. Marriage is very much a business deal.

>Wearing a suit
White shirts command authority. Don't buy any other color.... maybe light blue on casual friday.

Good luck faggot

lift & shitpost on Veeky Forums til u finally gather the courage to kys

Use this website, it has made food management easy as shit.

cronometer.com/

Make custom entries for stuff you eat every day or consistently.
It should be part of the sticky, honestly.

If you're at uni, focus on the job you're going to get, not just on finishing your degree
Have a part time job, but study comes first.

HIT THE GYM
GET A PROPER ROUTINE
BE CONSISTENT
TRACK LIFTS
EAT ENOUGH, INCLUDING PROTEIN

Don't marry until you're 30. Spend your 20s on getting money.
Don't stop lifting.
Stop drinking soda.
Stop paying attention to the news. Let other people pay attention. You can't change anything about it and its information millions of other people already know. Which makes it not valuable.
Stop using shampoo and body wash. Your skin maintains a balance of oils for a reason.
Stop going to clubs. They're traps where beta men maintain the hunting grounds of 8-10/10s

Your idea of what life is all about is going to change. Remember how much your mentality changed from being a toddler to now? That shit happens from 18 - late 20s

Don't do hallucinogens until you're 25-27. Let your neurology settle a bit.

Practice intermittent fasting. Practice intermittent fasting. Practice intermittent fasting. It makes weight regulation a lot easier.

Never underestimate people. We have a clearly public example in Trump. The deviousness of people will only become more apparent the longer you live.

Refrain of thinking yourself as a good or bad man. The longer you live, the more reversals of values you experience.

>>Don't date someone below your standards.

Very good advice. With women, what you see is what you get. If she's fat, assume she'll ignore any plea to lose it.

Avoid 4 year colleges/uni like the plague unless you have a very specific goal in mind. If you're a directionless fuckwit like 90% of millenials become a laser technician or something, be smart about your finances and become a millionaire.

don't do psychadelics or recreational drugs other than alcohol and weed. they are underwhelming and not worth the shit you will find yourself in.

Find a healthy activity or sport to lift for. Powerlifting counts if you actually compete.

CONT.

Donate blood every 8 weeks. Americans have elevated levels of iron because it's enriched in most bread products. Problem is that too much iron helps facilitate pathogen production. It's why bleeding and leeches was effective in the Medieval age.

Eat a high-fat high-protein diet without worrying about calories. This would mean avoiding bread as well. You auto-regulate on a keto diet. You've never tasted flavor until the adaptation period is gone and you sink your teeth into bacon and eggs.

Psychedelics are fun as shit, what the fuck are you talking about?

Okay so here's the thing. If you're extroverted, it helps to have a calm patient introvert with you during the trip. Also wait until after 25-27.

I really enjoy these types of threads, posting some things

Learn to see objects only for what their use is to you. Detach yourself completely from any emotions you might have towards an object, no matter how expensive, pretty, nice, or rare it might be.

Keep the amount of objects you have to only the minimum of things that you actually use, don't have uneccessary shit collecting dust in a corner.

Learn about meditation and "being present to the moment."

Detach yourself from negative emotions, they are useless. For example, don't get angry over petty shit. If something that actually requires you to do something about it, don't become angry or sad about it, just decide on a course of actions to take and follow it.

Work without hope or despair. The highs and the lows are all part of the same journey, stick to building good habits, don't try to do good things out of "motivation."

1) stop being a sad cunt and start being a sick cunt.

2) be the machine gun rather than the sniper rifle. you take more shots, you have more misses, but you make a lot more hits. the sniper rifle spends ages waiting for one shot, if he misses chances are his opportunity is gone for another long wait.

its mentioned in the site linked in the sticky

"I really don't think being attractive is as hard as some people think. Yes, you may never be a model, but there are plenty of things the vast majority of "normal" people can control that will work wonders.

1. Don't be fat. Be a healthy weight, work out, be in shape. You are now better than the majority of the population in America.

2. Hygiene! Smell nice, be clean, use proper skin care (control your skin through external care *and* diet), don't have smelly breath, etc.

3. Male or female, learn how to dress yourself, style your hair and (if applicable) do your makeup. It's not difficult and that shit goes a long way.

4. Have a decent personality. Don't be an asshole, don't be a dumbass, don't be a "nice guy", don't be overly conflict prone, just be a decent human being with a decent personality.

All those things are 100% controllable. And while some may say that your personality isn't under your control - you're right, maybe certain shit, but it's pretty easy to know not to be rude or mean or stupid or annoying."

Get the diet in check. No seriously like gyno and low t from phyto-estrogens in our food and plastics are no joke.

Vrb throwing or my winter coats I haven't worn in 6months

Oldfag here, 41.

>1. Save up $3000 and invest it in the stock market.
I say $3000 because that tends to be the minimum for most major investment companies, i.e. Edward Jones. I did this when I was 22 and now have around $600,000 in savings just from that investment. Saving $3000 sounds like a shitload at your age but it's easier than you think, just apply your mind to saving for a bigger cause.

>if you are dating the girl of your dreams, don't marry her until you're at least 25

>do heavy compound lifts, light isolation lifts, and cardio at least twice a week

>eating low carb not zero carb is best. As in only eating meat/ eggs with either veggies or fruit is best for all lifting goals

>other than whey and creatine monohydrate and caffeine, if a supplement is legal it probably doesn't work

>steroids aren't nearly as harmful as you've been told, but like marriage you should wait until you're at least 25 to use them

>squats really are the best exercise

>PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN
why is this better than simply getting as much fiber and calories as possible? genuinely curious

>I did this when I was 22 and now have around $600,000 in savings just from that investment

how the fuck?

what company did you go through?

>1. Save up $3000 and invest it in the stock market.
21fag here, is the stock market really worth getting into? I feel like I'd just get robbed blind at this age.

Get your diet on point and stick to it, your gains and your life will be infinitely better. Drink more water, half of your life problems can be fixed by that alone.

Don't smoke anything. Not a god damned thing.

Drink rarely and only in moderation, no matter how many people call you a lightweight or tease you for not drinking.

Staying in may be fun for a while, but you WILL get lonely. Unless you're a diagnosed schizoid, your brain needs interaction with people elsewise it will start to figuratively eat itself. Build a social network or find a social hobby, even if it's something like Magic or a fucking book club. You need some small group of people in your life - not tons of friends, but close ones who share the things you like.

Do something artsy with your free time: paint, write, or compose music. This way you'll always have something you can say that you made that no one else ever has or ever could. People still swell with jealousy when I tell them I've published two books.

Because there's a lot of various different protein that's just shoved under the macro label.

Proteins are highly specialized machines that need to be either pre-built or use other specialized machines as building blocks.

Calorimetry is fucking inaccurate
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060216/

Just eat high-fat high-protein. It's easy to undereat because your actual "fullness" signal activates.

Not that guy but the stock market has averaged an 8% return every year since forever, even if you invested in 2007 and invested through the recession you'd still have huge returns

thanks. I already eat decent-protein, low-fat and fail to see how I can improve on that; traditional sources like red meat have cholesterol and fat. most of my protein+fat comes in the form of omega-6 and amino acids via mushrooms and skyr

I feel like you're a smart guy.
Anyway, I'm 6'1, 170~ lbs, and I can't gain weight.
By saying that, I know of course that I CAN gain weight, if I eat enough, but the problem is, that I have a very low appetite, and I have to constantly eat if I don't want to be a hungry skeleton.

I used to be 6'1 140~ lbs, which was my normal weight, and then I started working out and learned about eating right, but for me, it's a hassle just to eat at maintenance.
I have never been able to eat an entire pizza by myself, because I get stuffed halfway through, and have to force myself to eat any more.

I did at some point get up to 185 lbs, and I looked really great, but I had to eat at least 6 meals a day, had to eat until I was stuffed and then some, it was really fucking hard.

How do I fix this?

Low-fat is a government meme. Literally.

As I said, after "adapting" (2-3 days) to a high-fat diet , you find a level of pure hedonistic pleasure in meat and fish and oils. And you'll find that after a point, you get a full signal.

It's far harder to jam past the full signal and eat 'till you're bloated than it is to block the signal and not be satisfied until you reach your stomach's limit.

food
youtube.com/watch?v=GtcovtMbV8E
containers
amazon.com/Certified-BPA-Free-Reusable-Microwavable-Containers/dp/B0128YT76S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498710085&sr=8-5&keywords=food prep containers
PROFIT???

Why are squats so good?

And what are the true negative effects of steroids?

Nuts and butter and eggs. High density high fat high protein.

Eat it as 1 big meal (or 2) of the day. You, ideally, want to have a regular period of 12 hours where you don't eat anything.

Think of your body as having two states. One is the fed state. Your body is prioritizing getting stuff from what you ate. The other would be fasting. Your body is now focused on cellular garbage collecting and the purging of damaged cells.

Anywhere from 8-12 hours after last meal.

It's like why meth heads look like complete shit. They never sleep and block melatonin via bright blue lights (electronics). The release of melatonin activates some skin repair processes and garbage collection.

So meth heads are living examples of why blocking melatonin is a bad idea.

interdasting. I eat enough unsaturated fat to survive and not be skelly, but can't see any reason to consciously consume more fat than whatever is in, e.g., 2 thick spreads of peanut butter or a pint of almonds. the only nutrient that seems to be worth paying any attention to is fiber.

trying to make microbiota and consistency-of-shit gains with the least paying attention to numbers possible. grains, produce, and legumes really do seem like the holy trinity of food

Do you have a list of foods to avoid?

Don't fall for the Student Loan Jew. Also, don't skip workouts, and don't start drinking every weekend. I went from being ripped in high school to being a fat fuck in college to getting my shit together and back into shape while trying to establish my career.

Also, don't forget to open a 401k and put as much in their as your employer will match, or more.

>tfw already fell for the student loan meme
>even worse it was for a shitty 8 month program at a private school
>15k
>cant find work

Run and lift on the same day.

It's okay. I once knew this lesbian who pissed away $200,000 of loans on cocaine and is now a secretary atm.

If she can live, so can you.

Sounds like the average commenter on Ask A Manager

Jesus what an idiot. 100% of my loan went to tuition.

Lift for your anime girlfriend and nothing else.
Only way to make it.

-Do not neglect your body, keep lifting and play other sports
-Take calculated risks
-Travel
-If you're an introvert or shy guy force yourself to get out there and talk to people, getting a job as a waiter is good for practice
-You can play videogames but do it in moderation.
-Fix your teeth

I bought into cattle when the Atkins Diet blew up in the early 2000's and some houses after the 2008 crash. Where there's fear there's money.

The stock market is pretty much a guarantee of constant income on your investment. People read stories and see movies where people become instant millionaires from investing a little money in the stock market but it doesn't work that way. You can either keep your money in a bank account and that's all the money you have, or you keep it in stocks or free market and gain a small but steady income from it, and that encourages you to save more because the more money you have the more money you make.

Squats are the best full body exercise aside from dead lifts. What is more basic that picking up a heavy amount of weight and then standing up with it? It works your entire body and being a guy that naturally has chicken legs, squats are the only lift that fixed that.

Being good at a video game sounds a lot less impressive than telling someone you can play an instrument, or know how to ice skate etc. Really wish I could take back those thousands of hours wasted on the xbox and pc.

This.
I may have hundreds of thousands of kills across all the multiplayer games I've played but I've gained nothing from them.
Sure the times I played with friends were fun but nowhere near the time investment to justify such a waste of a hobby,

100% agree

my Health teacher in hs called video games
"The Destroyers of America"
Now I realize how right he was.
I play my 3ds casually about once a week, but damn being addicted spending >6 hours a day is manchild level, don't do it and give it up if you do. Literally nothing productive comes out of video games.

is that protein formula per day or week?

I'm currently addicted to WoW.
I play on this private Vanilla server with 1:1 exp.
I ''waste'' about 8 hours a day playing it, however I made myself an ultimatum when I started, that every second I'm playing, an audio-cd with Japanese has to be playing in the background at the same time. (I'm studying law in Uni, gonna focus on Japanese relations when I'm finished)
So far I've progressed immensely, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if I wasn't also gaming.

At the moment I have summer vacation until semester starts back up the 10th august, and for the last 3 weeks after my exam, I was bored as fuck, so for me, gaming works out perfectly.

which server

Elysium

No, do lift for girls. Don't focus on how huge you can become, focus on how aesthetic you can become or else you'll find yourself 5 years from now wondering why you're fat strong and all your lean friends are getting head by a different girl each week.

Audio CD with a language learning format? What do you recommend? I've got a MA in American History and I need a second language to enter most history PhD programs.

Japanese is difficult because it's a completely different way of thinking than western languages.
Spanish, German, French etc wouldn't be that hard, because they are constructed very similarly to English.
I'm uisng the CD's from Genki books 1 and 2 for all the basics, which amounts to about 30 hours of vocabulary, nouns, basic conversations etc. (You can easily find and download both the books and Audio-CD's for free)

>fiz your teeth
how

If you're not sure if you want to go to college, don't go your first year out of high school. Try a bunch of different jobs and see if you find something you like, and if you don't find something then sign up for a post-secondary education

brush

also dental work

get an engineering degree. i don't care if your dreams are to be a tap dancer or whatever dumb shit. learn calculus. get an engineering degree. if you do this you will be eternally grateful to a random stranger on the internet.

this
im 28 now but this 500 cal deficit is so slow. maybe i'll be lean coming to 30 year old. wish i stay lean or at least dont get fat in your early 20s

>move, train, do things
the little things you do consistently are the ones that really matter in the long run
>talk to people,
never asume you are inferior or better than anyone you meet... people are much people-ish than you think no matter CEO or bum image. women are people too and you should talk to them in the same way
>stay away from sugar,
and that includes all the carbs, oats, potatoes, bread, rice... fuck all of that... more than 100g of carbs is always tooooooo muuuuucchhhhh
>do not take yourself or anyone seriously
shit happens - deal with it
> learn to not be anxious
fear is only there to help you as an animal, which you are no longer. If you can not do naything about the things you are anxious about than stop wory about it - its out of your control, but if you can do ANYTHIG - do it and go on

Moralfag ruining the meme.

practice discipline

>how the fuck?
Compounding interest over a long period of time. Investing money is definitely worth it, and you don't have to pick volatile high-risk high-reward stocks - index funds are a great, safe and most importantly EASY investment. The stock market grows on average 10% a year (and has done so for the past 100 years) so a decent index fund will realistically grow 7-8% a year.

1) is crucial, fake it till you make it

Ive been learning Japanese (and living in greater tokyo) nearly 3 years. I did the same thing as you with the audio books and vidya, really learned nill tho. Youre going to have to put a lot more willpower into learning than some voice in the background, sorry to say.

starting learning something ASAP and stick to it, because you will get a master in 10 years and a grandmaster in 30.

Avoid alcohol. I used to drink like a fish and it killed my gains. Killed them, killed them, killed them. I put in so much hard work and actually got weaker due to drinking, which was incredibly shameful to me. Now I very rarely have alcohol and gain all the time

Regardless of how much of a sperg,autist,fat neet, some girl is gonna wanna fuck you. Unless she is absolutely revolting bang her.

Don't let fake ideas of pride or morality stop you from having sex. I could have banged a 10 but she had a boyfriend so me being a moral fag didn't have sex with her. She then had sex with some other dude and is still with her BF.

Don't cuck yourself for "honour"

This is bad advice. When I was younger i fucked up friendships because I thought that way. Laying pipe on people's girlfriends gets around, and even when you don't know the bf, people trust you less if they know you've done it. I have friends who to this day act weird when I am friendly with their girlfriends. There's tons of pussy out there. Don't do shady shit to get it.

this is a good thread. bumping

Nice lol

Think long term about everything
Be patient
Stability is important for a happy and successful life
Don't hate yourself for things you can't change
Don't worry about things that are outside your control
Never stop learning

>Think with your dick

Terrible advice.

Yes by all means bang chicks on holiday etc. Don't bang girls from your office just because the option is there, don't fuck your friend's gf just because she's a slut. There are three billon women in the world.

Fuck smart.

20yo guy here, i have around 2k$ saved up - is there something i should read about investments and the stock market? i don't want to just sit on my money
originally i wanted to buy a car or a computer, but i don't really want to just blow it on X.

bitter

>The stock market is pretty much a guarantee of constant income on your investment.
holy fucking shit
do not listen to this financial advice

life doesnt get better

start by reading a few books
I recommend
>Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
>Margin of Safety
>The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor

This will teach you basics about evaluating companies for value.
Especially once you adjust for inflation, you'll find that the stock market does not give you consistent, reliable returns.
ESPECIALLY once you adjust for the fact that you will be doing this as an amateur without the resources or man-hours of a hedge fund (not all hedge funds pull yearly profits, by the way).

as a rough rule of thumb, you should be keeping about a third of your portfolio long, a third of your portfolio short, and a third of your portfolio in cash at any given time.

work on your mental health like your diet

Lookit dis salty sperg

Eat. Fucking. Food.
I stagnated for months at a time because I didnt get enough caloried (and protein in my body) You simply WONT get stronger if you don't eat surplus. If you feel you're stagnating, download a calorie tracker and check your needed calories per day, then make sure to eat past that EVERY day and sleep 8 hours

29 here.

Things I wish I knew at 18:
>don't waste money on anime VHS tapes and costuming. You will never have more fun money than you do right now working a job and having zero bills. You'll know what to do with that money in five years (for me, it was musical instruments)
>30 year old actors aren't ripped because middle age is a magic time when people get muscles easy, idiot, so work out now while you're testosterone is through the roof and recovery is easy
>do a strength program first, then worry about hypertrophy splits; don't waste five years of your twenties lifting bitch weight and accomplishing nothing
>always wear a condom when you fuck strange. Always. Always.
>stick to people your age, younger isn't worth it

someone explain this image to me

The answer is to lift for more than one reason, friends. Lift for girls and yourself. Lift to be the best person you can. Lift to be strong to protect others. Lift to fit into old clothes so you won't have to buy new ones. Lift for a good life.

This. Gains mean nothing if you're too depressed to appreciate them.

Read Spivak's Calculus. You can definitely manage working through at least a good bit of it at your age regardless of your math background, and you'll get an early start with material enabling you to better understand the nature of human logic in its purest form. The kind of reasoning this will help you to develop, you may guess, is going to be pivotal in your life.

If I could go back 4 years and tell my 18 year old self one thing, it'd be that, along with the idea that there's nothing more rewarding than building skills to shape your personal world into a better one.

have goals - seperate your goals into physical, mental, emotional, work and social.
physical is shit like lifting
mental is shit you're learning
emotional is what you're aiming for, i.e. inner peace, with achieveable short term goals, i.e. not snap at anybody, not get anxiety/deal with anxiety better etc.
work is career.
social is pretty straightfoward, dating, family, friends etc.

you should know what you prioritize each as. and it may change with time. but as a rule, most of your goals depend on money. and therefore work should be most important. you may think otherwise though.

keep a diary. i keep an encrypted work document in my dropbox that i write in twice a year, outlining how much progress ive made towards my goals, straightening out my thoughts and writing down new goals.
also write in it during times of stress/crisis, so you can straighten out your thoughts and help yourself through it.

also set some values, having a strong core belief system, whether its christian, conservative, liberal, whatever. have them, understand why you have them (not merely parrot somebody else) and you'll always have an idea of whats going on.