Cardio

How good is your cardiovascular system?
How low is your resting/training/maximum pulse?
What are normal ranges for Veeky Forumsizens?

Other urls found in this thread:

hrsonline.org/Patient-Resources/Symptoms-Diagnosis/Skipped-Beats
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>resting
down to 48
>training
180-185
>maximum
Well in the 220s...

My resting HR is anywhere from upper 50s to low 70s, depending on the day and my stress levels.

I'm on a beta blocker cos I was given that for an arrhythmia I had until a couple years ago when I got it surgically fixed...the withdrawal symptoms of getting off the beta blockers are awful and include a racing heart rate when you do anything that isn't lying still in bed, so I stay on it out of convenience I guess. Even though I don't need it.

My heart begins skipping beats when I get as high as your training levels, and it freaks me the fuck out.

I used to be able to get even higher when I was younger.
But my cardio system is not all that normal anyway.
>mfw reaced 240 once

220 is as high as I've ever gotten, and I was having an SVT episode in an ambulance and got injected with Adenosine to bring it down and to discontinue the arrhythmia that was happening simultaneously.

Because of shit like that, anything that raises my heart rate scares me. I need therapy, tbchwyf.

I have that when I am warmed up and try to put out my maximum power for some time.
That usually happens on my bike when I either:
>drive maximum speed (around 55km/h)
>climb extremely hard (10% incline at 35km/h)
>do extreme accellerations multiple times

I don´t have a power-meter but at a calculated specific power output of 3W/kg I stay around 160-170 beats per minute wich I consider comfy...

>resting
>training
regularly up to 200 right when I finish my fasted run
>Maximum
201 according to google

I thought going above 230 was supposed to kill you desu

>201 according to google
There is no correct way to calculate that...
>I thought going above 230 was supposed to kill you desu
Heavyly depends on the person and training, 240 didn´t kill me since I was young and in a good shape.
Your average fatty won´t survive 200...

would it be better to begin with bicycling, or walking/jogging to work into cardio?

I'm cutting and trying to drop bf%, started jogging/walking but I feel plebtier.

Cycling is better for your joints.

If you look up SVT on Google, the human body can survive as high as the 300s, where it gets dangerous is if you're old or just exceptionally unhealthy.

55ish resting
Don't check heart rate while training just lift, climb and run.

People have said that before but I never liked cycling. Running has always been my favourite cardio.

Cycling takes 3-4 times as long for the same workout. It's a super efficient method of transport. Even Lance armstrong runs for his cardio these days because "cycling takes too long".

Swimming is good too but I find it fucks lifting performance more. Running only fatigues my calves and fuck them.

What has a cardiologist told you about that?

Then how do you know it?

That is the maximum I have been measuring during high power sessions.

Hitting near 200 bpm

How do you guys do it?

Hydrate and work hard

I drink more than any other Veeky Forums member on here and have done so for a long time, however some of you are over 150 beats? What the hell are you doing to reach that?

How old are you?

No I don't do cardio

Fear of dying on the bike..

Just run fast it's not hard. Have you ever done any cardio at all?

My fitness level is bad for the past two years, I used to calculate vo2max, track heart rate etc...

I'm different at 30 so not sure if it is safe to push your cardio so hard..

>go on turbotrainer
>warm up at 2-3W/kg for like 15 minutes
>increase power after that
>increase cadence to like 100rpm
>go for maximum power

Unless you're running a marathon you'll be fine. It's impossible to run yourself to death unless you dehydrate or something. Also what was your VO2 max?

I have a document from those days, to be honest I'd rather not be the guy who is 30 and talk about what he achieved at 25. I'm trying to start over and get back in shape,,

You're anonymous on a Tibetan rope-making forum, bragging doesn't matter. I just need to know how fit you are so I can give you the best possible advice

My current vo2max is 38

Don't really do cardio but am trying...

Then just run

I keep forgetting to do my cardio.

If I lift 5 days a week should I also be running 5 days a week? That seems like a lot of calories and energy I'm burning.

if you are trying to lose weight then yea

currently im doing one hour of cardio followed by an hour of lifting

>currently im doing one hour of cardio followed by an hour of lifting
???

too much?

There's a lot of factors that come in play, I would need to know more about you but the thing is an hour of cardio and than lifting for an hour. There can be diminishing returns, you might not be gaining much or you might even be causing issues it really depends how you adapt and what you are actually doing.

I'm guessing that is split to 2-3 days a week and not every day but than again if you're happy with what you are doing and your goals are being met do you ..

Resting is 52 according to Fitbit.

I don't really train, but on casual bike commutes it gets up to 120ish based on historical data. I'm guessing it's low balling a bit during rides and workouts though, because I think I've seen some pretty big diffs between the watch reading and counting my pulse.

No idea about max.

What's a good heart-rate monitor watch?

Under $50. I just need something to tell me when I go below my target HR.

>Cycling takes 3-4 times as long for the same workout
No you retard, you just have to cycle 3-4 faster than running pace to achieve the same MET. If cycling isn't giving you a good enough workout then you need to ride harder and work some hills in.

Why are his shorts falling off on the pic lol?

No hills near where I live. I used to cycle flat out and not get tired. The only thing that requires energy in cycling in gaining momentum. Fuck that exercise. Maybe a good form of cardio if you get the shittest MTB to ride around on.
I'd rather open my front door and start jogging

Any cheap 10$ heart rate watch will dob that...

>The only thing that requires energy in cycling in gaining momentum
How slow do you ride?

>I used to cycle flat out
Reading comprehension much?

Actually I´m from germany and my english isn´t that good.
But the most energy in biking goes into air resistance.
At a typical speed of 40km/h you need like 300W just in air resistance.
If that isn´t enough power just go faster.

If your cadence goes too high get a decent chainring...

Learning German and I'm terrible so I'll give you a pass for not knowing a random idiom.

Yeah, my bike might just be shit. I have a Trek hybrid and wore out my fastest gear trying to improve cardio while commuting. Only breathing through my nose with some small hills I could never push myself like I could with running. Figured improving my bike wouldn't make a difference as racing bikes are more efficient. Didn't consider wind resistance.

desu I'm jaded af at cycling to college/gym for years in pissing rain.

>t b h swaps to desu. Haven't been on 4chin in ages

I'm not even made

that's true. i've been studying the meme cyclists and notice they do some things that limit their commute gains:

>hunch over
this just decreases resistance and encourages bad posture imo. i always try and keep a flat back

>low gear/standing up
also decreases resistance and looks spastic. highest gear all the way, except with real hills and you actually have to get to work

>headphones/no rearview mirror
driving a vehicle deaf and blind

>racing bikes
these are memes, the difference between road/touring/racing are a few mm of differing proportions. all that matters is good quality machinery. most decent used CL road bikes won't have a single made-in-china part in them

>Learning German and I'm terrible
I hear that pretty often, erman is a pretty hard language for foreigners.

>wore out my fastest gear
What gear ratio where you using?
What cadence where you pedaling?

I ask that since you will never do effective cardio while pedaling 40rpm in a 53:9 gear ratio and 120 in a 38:12 kind of sucks as well.

I usually do 80-90 rpm and have 38-50 tooth chainring and a 12-36 cassette on my bike wich is enough to keep me in decent cadence at speeds up to 70-80km/h.

Upgrading your chainring is actually pretty cheap if you don´t get these ridiculy overpriced Ultegra stuff.
I did that on a bike once, it was 35€.

>cardio

Enjoy never making it, and fooling yourself into thinking you are.

>highest gear all the way
If you can keep your speed doing so, you should get a bigger chainring.
These 38:12 geared bikes are a joke, you need at least 50:12 or even 53:9 if you are somewhat fit...

No idea. It was a new stock hybrid Trek. One of the dearer models. Kept it on the highest gear possible on a pretty flat commute and got as much speed as the vehicle was capable of. Felt like pedalling any faster didn't increases my velocity at that point.

The chainring is okay. I dont use a front derailleur. Have considered a racing cassette though. Is there any gains benefit to maintaining static speed? Its pretty crowded and twisting so i always am braking

>grammatical case and gender
argh fuck

resting 48/training 180/max 218

chubby 5'10 178

42:38 min 10k

Bpm right now is 86
Highest has been 190-200

t. Winded after a single flight of stairs

What fucks me is having to hear each whole sentence before I can make sense of it based on the 4 cases.
I'm sure English is annoying for a second language being riddled with exceptions but at least sentences are generally written in one order.

>Felt like pedalling any faster didn't increases my velocity
Your speed is always proportional to your cadence.
>chainring is ok
If it woud be ok, you would have a decently low cadence.
>racing cassete
These smaller cogs wear out way faster and won´t gain you much.
A bigger chainring in the front is also way more efficient.

Forgot to mention:
You need to clean and lube your entire drivetrain regulary or you´ll wear it out pretty fast.

cadence varies but rarely exceeds ~45 rpm @ a city-safe 10-15 mph

I'll skip the cassette upgrade, thx

is monthly okay?

>~45 rpm
That is verry slow, try at least 60.
>10-15 mph that isn´t any fast either I usually do 20mph
>is monthly ok
That depends on the amount of dirt in your chain.
If you don´t ride all that much monthly will do.
Since I ride at least 300km per week I do it weekly to reduce wear.

You don´t need any special stuff for that, brake cleaner and gearbox or motoroil are good.
Just remember to whipe of any excess oil to reduce dirt buildup, your chain is supposed to be dry on the outside.

Can I use WD40?

Not as lubricant since it will evaporate and is way too thin.
It is good for cleaning though.

Resting: 54bpm
Training: jumps up to 140 pretty quick, can keep it above 170 for a while
Maximum: I've been above 200, no idea what the actual max is

>182 miles/week
ah, I only ride 30-50 mi/wk, it's just a vehicle for me. going faster than 20 mph is reckless, but lots of guys dress like a cycling magazine ad and go weave 25-30mph among headphone joggers with terrible form (arms flaring/swinging). the commute also has a series of deep cracks all the way across and it loosens the pitlock

resting: 42
Max :215ish
I believe im in better cardio shape than most of Veeky Forums

>going faster than 20 mph is reckless
Why?
Maximum I go on my commute is 35mph...
>among headphone joggers
That is retardet, either you drive on the bikelane or on the road.
>deep cracks all the way across
That sounds bad.

A crash at 56kmph on a bicycle wouldn't be pretty.

That is on a straight downhill section, so I am able to see everything in front of my.
I have gone much faster on other roads, sometimes even over 70km/h...

it's a shitty, crowded city path. i already got in one bike accident and won't repeat the experience. unaware idiots and lance armstrong wannabes abound

I would suggest using the road...

My cardio has always been bad but I'm trying to get it better. I think it may be due to a pulmonary deficiency or something vascular in my legs because I get really winded and start yawning after doing squats or leg presses. My resting HR is usually around 70. After running a mile it can be as high as 180 before dropping into the 150s (recently it hasn't been this high). I've only just started cardiovascular training by running a mile or so a few times a week, going for a 7:30 pace. Is this normal for people who are in poor shape? My blood pressure is high as well (160 systolic) but that part may be congenital.

Does anybody else around here get skipped heartbeats when they lift?

I get them and they freak me the fuck out like my heart is gonna stop, and makes me phobic of lifting, so I end up not working as hard as I know I probably could.

Get that checked out. Your heart should never skip. Irregular heartbeats are a good way to fucking die

My cardiologist says they're pretty common, and that I'm fine. They just freak me out.

>resting
laying on bed: 60, sitting/standing 80-90
>training
no idea
>max
was 165 I think, did that bike ride test

hrsonline.org/Patient-Resources/Symptoms-Diagnosis/Skipped-Beats

not during lifts, but sometimes throughout the day

My resting HR is 45. Don't train endurance, only lifting. I went to get check for hypothyroidism and my levels were normal. Does this mean I have an inherently better cardiovascular system than average?

To get maximum propulsion from the spicy-chicken-fueled farts

Same here dude it doesnt need to go that high, but dont worry youll pass out well before heart attack. I like it keep it at 150 for an hour never ever over 160.

Ah, for me it tends to happen if I'm doing something intense like the stairmaster or sprints, sometimes pull ups. Lifts sometimes.

Where I get it most is hours after exercise. I'm the guy you replied to, btw. I thought about it more, and I get it then more than I thought I did for lifting. The stairmaster is like almost 100 percent of the time, which is annoying.

Am i dead?

No, but if you aren't a girl, go to your doctor