/surf/

How come surfing is never talked about on Veeky Forums? I just started learning how to surf a couple days ago and it is seriously an intense work out. I can probably squad, dl, and bench more than a lot of the surfers I see out there but when it comes to paddling and stuff I'm practically the weakest one out there. Needless to say I was out there for 5 hours yesterday and barely caught any waves but my body is sore as fuck. Any surfers on Veeky Forums have any advice for newfags?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/efexHHEzZC4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because its gay

t. Someone who never leaves their house

Because this is Veeky Forums. Take your garbage sport to /asp/

Bumping for you, OP. Not a surfer myself, I stick to bodyboarding and bodysurfing. Half of the fun for me is trying to paddle out and braving all of the waves, getting tossed around. It's also a goat-tier workout (cardio-wise).

Where do you surf, OP? You in socal?

Yeah I'm in San Diego. Where you at? Man even though I was barely catching anything. It was awesome just being out there. It's a lot harder than it looks.

>oneitis fucked a surfer

Bump

Yee brahh, I totally love shredding. Getting out their during a sick swell and catching some gnarly lefts. I just added a fish to my quiver but I totally love riding a log or toothpick. Old guys or groms, everyone loves catching a sick barrel and getting pitted brahh.

Noice

Surfing will only get you fit if you don't have a job. I fell for the meme that I could surf every day after work and get in shape. Got fatter because surfing makes you hungry like nothing else, and everyone you go with just wants to get burritos afterwards.

Go to the gym for fitness, surf for fun.

You weren't smoking enough weed, binge drinking and snorting coke. Cmon bro

I work and go to college full time. I only plan to surf a few days a week to replace my cardio.

Good point

Right coast fag here, so many wannabe surfers. You can tell they are bc they have a fresh board under 6ft, there's like a handful of days you can surf those here.

I have a demanding job and I try to surf everyday. Love how it makes me feel afterwards and I still eat healthy without going overboard. You just need to know when is a good time for you, so that way you won't fuck up as much, breh.

I don't want to discourage you, because surfing is the most fun thing I can think of, but it doesn't always work as a good cardio replacement.

Some days, the surf is rough, and you're paddling all the time, getting a good workout. Some days it's calmer, and you don't really even get a raised heart rate over the course of a few hours. I just found it inconsistent as a workout. I also used to think surfers were buff because off surfing, then I learned they just lifted to get that way.

Surfing was the only thing that helped me deal with the stress in college, so there's that for you.

I agree with you, it's possible to make it work. But for getting ripped, it's either surf all day every day, or go to the gym and work hard for an hour a day

>demanding job

Working at a head shop can't be that bad..

because most of Veeky Forums just wants to lift heavy objects instead of doing something that's not autistic like playing sports, hiking, surfing, hang gliding etc. it's so sad that all you gymrats think you're fit when I can beat you at any sport except competitive weight lifting.

Yeah man. Biggest thing for me is just getting out more. I live in San Diego and I don't want to spend my summers in doors all the time. The therapy you get from surfing is a good enough reason for me.

Agree. Surfing is great therapy. I only want to make sure and warn everyone. I surfed for years, and my arms stayed small the whole time.

I live on the central coast, and envy all you lucky SD bastards. Perfect waves and warm water most of the year.

How long did it take until you were decent enough to catch a lot of waves? Instead of like 3 in two hours?

If you're not catching waves after 5+ times out, the waves are too big, you're board is too small or you're not paddling enough

I think my paddling sucks. I gotta work on that. I'm using a long board but all I'm catching really is white wash. Yesterday was my second time desu.

This is true. I've only seen a few sport related threads. Usually rugby or soccer. It's usually the athletes on Veeky Forums that aren't complete aspies.

I was a 6'-5" uncoordinated lanklet. It took me years. I really had to make some decent upper body gains before I got it.

Because 90% of Veeky Forums lives in the middle of fuck nowhere and barely go to the beach.

Catch as much whitewater as you can. The popup is the hardest thing to master, and you need to practice over and over. Maybe ask someone to see if you are paddling correctly. Don't pull your arms in during the stroke, or you'll just push water under your board. Straight wide strokes.

Damn man. I'm 5'11 and thought I had a strong upper body until surfing proved to me that was a lie.

I just watched this. Gonna try this today.

youtu.be/efexHHEzZC4

i've only tried surfing once but i bodysurf on the reg. trying to cop some new fins this summer. aiming for some da fins. any bodysurfers here at all? gonna try to go out tomorrow, today is cloudy, cold, and not so good conditions.

Do you need anything other than your body to bodysurf? I've always wanted to try it. It seems fun.

Probably because it's more than Veeky Forums