Role-model thread

TEAM HECTOR

OR

TEAM ACHILLES

Who do you admire more?

ITT: post movies/books that inspire you to lift and live honorably

Other urls found in this thread:

artofmanliness.com/2012/10/26/a-mans-primer-on-greek-mythology-part-iii-the-trojan-war/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When I watched this movie with my girlfriend she didn't understand why Achilles didn't just leave with the priestess chick and live a happy life. She also didn't understand the notion of dying for glory and immortality. She reminds me of Hector's wife who until the last moment didn't understand and kept saying "you don't have to fight him".

Do women just not understand the notion of honor? And yet it's attractive to them I suppose.

Great movie. Really made me think (about my own mediocre life)

>Achilles and honorable in the same sentence

this man is the perfect human being, hail dolph

You sound like you're in high school.

He acted on his own emotions and ego but overcame his nihilism when King Priam humbled himself before him. When he cried over Hector's body, he redeemed himself in my eyes.

You sound like you only know how to shitpost. Thanks for bumping the discussion anyway.

reading Mishima changed my life

>Hector
>Brave soldier
>Beloved husband
>Beloved father
>Admired by everyone

>Achilles
>Manchild
>Fucked his own cousin
>Killed thousands for "muh glory"

You guys need to read the original version.

So now you're into voyeurism and sucking dick?

>be invincible
>get heel cucked by a nu male

Will reading it stir my dormant desire to accomplish heroic deeds with my life?

>women
>honor

They maybe able to understand the concept of honor if you carefuly explain it to them, but they will never truly understand.

Another movie women will never understand is the last samurai.

he doesnt get killed so they can understand it

You think some of them understand braveheart? For some reason my parents and sisters hate this movie while I love it

it's pretty good, but you should remember the original version ends after the funeral for hector. we don't have the greek account of the whole 'trojan horse' in that specific timeline as it relates to achilles. It focuses on odysseus, who was kind of a douche too.

the aeneid, though roman in origin, has the story and is pretty awesome
>be regular dude, fight for country
>hector was a cool guy, achilles was a prick
>trojan horse comes in, greeks start raping city
>you and your best bros kill a squad of them, take their clothing, pretend to be greeks to kill more greeks
>finally wind up fucking queens in carthage while saving your civilization and end up founding rome

yea but he was willing to risk his life to fight for a greater cause. That they don't understand.
probably not. That movie is another good example of men dying for something greater than themselves. They can understand what he did it for, but they will never fully understand why. Women are selfish creatures. The only sacrifice they would probably make is for their own child.

where are you from? ignoring the gore that might trigger the women, even them like this plot.-wise

In the movie they literally depict why this is the case.

Men will die to defend their civilization, while women will fuck the enemy if their defenders lose.

It's biology.

the whole storyline with sophie marceau is what can seal the deal for women.

whereas men see it as a tipping point, women see it as the entire reason he fights- fuck, the women in the film literally say the same thing.

actually, whatever his wife's name was, i think marceau was the french princess or whatever.

Thats movie Achilles, mythological Achilles is a complete fucking prick with zero redeeming features. Hector was the real MVP, maybe Ajax.

when the french girl told the dying king that she scottish cucked his heritage it felt pretty satisfying desu

dunno, i think they can understand the greater cause, what they dont understand is a fight for a fight's sake

Will check the aeneid out, thanks for the info user
Germany
>inb4 cuck

no worries, im not a pol poster
maybe something due to gender equality? in italy is unknown shit but maybe there it's a thing
what do they say? they want the queen to actually go to battlefield?

they don't see that sometimes the greater cause is honor, therefore it's not just a fight for flight's sake

it's cognitive dissonance from German women cos they're the ones who are inviting the foreign civilisation into their borders and their homes...

Well, thea mainly complain about the brutality, and they think william wallace is stupid at the torturing scene in the end, because "what difference does it make"

Hero (2002)

A story of a man who sacrificed his vengeance for his nation. Beautifully shot.

I listen to the soundtrack when I'm walking into the gym and pretend I'm some sort of monk.

>beautifully shot

no pun intended

The characters are symbolic personifications of the male psyche. Inside every man there is a Hector, and there is an Achilles. One part that simply wants to live and enjoy his life, build a family, and live a prosperous life; and one part insatiable animal with an unquenchable thirst to be the absolute best, to dominate others and be revered and respected as the pinnacle of their craft.

You see, this is my dilemma. My version of
>insatiable animal with an unquenchable thirst to be the absolute best, to dominate others and be revered and respected as the pinnacle of their craft

is to live a solitude life devoting my time and effort to honing myself physically, mentally and spiritually. But isn't a large part of why men have urges to do these things is so we can attract a mate and

>build a family, and live a prosperous life

and pass on their genes?

>born to multiply
or
>born to gaze into night skies

Agamemnon

TEAM HECTOR FTW

Achilles played on easy mode, was a faggot, and had no honor at all

>troy the movie
>Last samurai

this shit tier hollywood modern movie scum is where your notion of honor comes from?

I swear to god, this may not be the most autistic board, but sure as hell it has to be one of the dumbest.

fucking kek

care to elaborate?

autism, the post

Hector
>A mortal, just a man, like all of us, knew the struggle
>Risked his life every time he went to war to save his city
>He wanted to avoid war, but had to fight to protect his people, friends and family
>Had a 8/10 qt3.14 waifu that gave him a son
>Family man, provide and protect
>Honored the Gods
>Protected even his autistic beta brother
>Died for his city, killed by the best soldier ever who was almost immortal and was blessed by the gods
>Years later, his friends and family's descendants founded Rome, and by an extent, western civilization
>Was portrayed by the guy who acted as Hulk

Achilles
>Some kind of demi-god, virtually immortal, not natty.
>Played on easy mode with just one dumb weak point
>Had nothing to do on Troy, but went to war just for "glory" and gold
>Had a teenage boy who he fucked in the ass, full homo
>Rapist of nuns, what the fuck¿?
>Raided sacred temples
>Never really cared for no one other than himself or people he could fuck
>Died for muh glorei, killed by a beta autist with an arrow while raiding a city
>No descendants. His only goal was to "be remembered", and sacrificed everything else to accomplish that childish fear of death, yet we still remember Hector too.
>Was played by the actor who played as a vegan psycho

I hope y'all have actually read the book and aren't just relying on the movie.

Hector isn't as perfect as people always think. For one, Troy in general and Hector in particular fight the war to protect Paris. Paris violates some of the most sacred laws of conduct in the ancient world, and violates them hard. Hector also believes his own press release by the end of the story. He shows more pride than a lot of people remember because the rest of his part of the story seems so noble and sad.

Achilles is not a modern hero, he is an ancient hero. The choice between a glorious death and returning from the war was a difficult one, because being remembered for your glory meant immortality.

I don't really know how to answer OP's question. Achilles is the hero of the story. But it's a tragic story, and he's not what modern people think of when they think of a "hero". Every college freshman is tempted to think Hector is the "true" hero of the story even though he objectively isn't. But it's an understandable temptation.

If you want an ideal guy who was all-around great and really didn't do anything wrong the best bet is Diomedes.

If you haven't ever read the Iliad, Robert Fagles did a great translation that is well-written and poetic but still pretty accessible language.

At last the armies clashed at one strategic point,
they slammed their shields together, pike scraped pike
with the grappling strength of fighters armed in bronze
and their round shields pounded, boss on welded boss,
and the sound of struggle roared and rocked the earth.
Screams of men and cries of triumph breaking in one breath,
fighters killing, fighters killed, and the ground streamed blood.
Wildly as two winter torrents raging down from the mountains,
swirling into a valley, hurl their great waters together,
flash floods from the wellsprings plunging down in a gorge
and miles away in the hills a shepherd hears the thunder--
so from the grinding armies broke the cries and crash of war.

Probably team ajax. He lifts lmao1rock and throws it

good post. this thread has motivated me to read the book/translations.

Well, I did read this: artofmanliness.com/2012/10/26/a-mans-primer-on-greek-mythology-part-iii-the-trojan-war/

Does that count?

is me.

Skimming through that article it actually seems like a decent summary but I can't really say yet whether the judgments of the characters and stuff are sound. I'll have to read it for real later.

case in point. his daughter and VanDamme's on the right
Genetics + good upbringing

the guy is 58 in that picture.

>artofmanliness

wew...

I know, there're some articles on the website which are fedora-tier, but sometimes they have decent content, like the primer in greek and north mythology or some stuff on the manly skills tab

I have to agree tbqh, I remember reading some shit about former us president Theodore Roosevelt a couple years ago on that same website, and made me actually read his autobiography a month later.

I can't help but cringe at a vast amount of their articles tho.

Team Dick

>I hope y'all have actually read the book and aren't just relying on the movie.

Story is the story. Most people know it for the movie or overall summery and that is okay. The original story of how everything happened (and if it happened) will never truly be known and that is also okay: stories are her for you to enhance and give perspective for your life, you are not here to know all the stories.

And please don't hope that I read some fantasy novel. They are cool but i will read them if I will want to, not because it's a required reading.

We didn't ask about your sexual orientation

Yeah Hector was made to be kind of a faggot. And the people who are pulling the modern worship need to realize that Achilles was also considered to be the related to ancestors to some major sociopolitical groups, so they bolstered up his story in order to solidify their power. Similar things happened with the stories of Heracles and Perseus (or Pericles I forget off the top of my head)

hhhgnnnnn

>Be king
>Get Achilles buttblasted cuz you can take his prize
>Gods love you

HECTORRRRRRRRR
HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
HECTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The illiad is one of the most important and influential books of western canon.
It isn't some book you can forego.

Let alone it's 900 pages long.

>forego
You absolutely can, as it is with every religious text. You read a book and apply it to your life. You can become a great person by reading harry potter if you will take certain things. There are no have to's in this life. Unless you want to specifically have a say in the origin of literature, the presumed greek history or stuff related to that you don't "have to" do anything with the book. If, on the other hand, you want to read poems and have an interesting time then of course it's worthwhile to read it.

>Let alone it's 900 pages long.

Is this supposed to be a lot? I mean it's written in poems and the actual word count is 30k less than the da vinci code

Vincent Freeman from Gattaca is my biggest inspiration in life. Basically born a genetic failure while society is filled with engineered perfect babies including your own little brother yet he strives so fucking hard to make it.

I relate a lot to the character both in my fucked up genetics and in my desire to make it and go to space.

Gotta study harder I guess