Kickboxing, boxing, or muay thai. having a hard time on which choose...

Kickboxing, boxing, or muay thai. having a hard time on which choose. anyone have any experience in those that can help me decide?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f1QiXIREgGY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kyokushin

doesn't honestly make a whole lot of a difference.
i'd suggest kickboxing, since it's gonna be cheaper than MT, and boxing just being kickboxing without kicks.

muay thai and boxing

just one though for your personal fitness regimen? muay thai. its the most well rounded in my opinion

i should have added that those are what classes near me are offering

Boxing is the thinking fighter's sport

Checked

not for long, when you get your brain tossed like a salad every fight.

ya i feel like i should add something new to my routine and also a new hobby

I'm also looking into kickboxing or muay thai

BJJ.

/Thread.

Yeah if you wanna get beat up

Pick of them real sports you mentioned earlier OP.

What's your goal? You want to be fit or do you want to kill people?

> Training nothing but striking for months/years on end only to be choked unconscious by someone who has been training BJJ for 6 weeks

what is with martial arts fags always saying stuff like
>if you train X for two hours you can beat any legendary grandmaster of Y within seconds

partly wanting to learn how to fight, i mean i can lift all day but someone who can throw a punch will take me out as ive only been in a fight once in my life and that didn't end pretty.

Boxing then MT. After that go after to grappling

have someone teach you the basics of boxing, then proceed to incorporate heavy bag sessions into your workouts.
you don't need to take expensive lessons every week if learning to throw a punch is your goal.

Because anyone who has half a clue about martial arts knows that BJJ is the king of the martial arts and anyone who has zero training in grappling will be comfortably beaten by someone who is proficient at grappling, striking is only effective when someone is within striking range, as soon as you have closed the distance it isn't a case of *if* the inexperienced grappler will be beaten, its when.

Youtube "Gracie challenge" and watch kickboxers/boxers, karate/judo fags, bodybuilders, akido/ninjitsu get rekd.

MT & BJJ; by knowing how to throw kicks as well as punches you've already beaten 90% of the general population in a fight - by knowing how to grapple in it's purest form you've also beaten 99% of the general public.

kyokushin is a sport where you guys fight with no helmets or any form of protection and literally have to knock each other out to win. And if you do it professionally you can only get knocked out like 5 times before you have to retire because the damage to the brain is too big past that point and its unsafe for you to continue. If you like getting high kicked full strength in your head then sure go for it.

My suggestion to you is kickboxing. I did that for 4 years, just gloves nothing else, and I enjoyed it quite a bit being 6'3 with 6'7 arm span.

I would pick kickboxing over boxing just because you also get to kick things. Also I did a bunch of Kickboxing and as far as I know muay thai is pretty much the same thing but with a bit more focus on elbows and knees.

BJJ ruined fighting, pls nerf it, god.

Hahaha
You're not training any martial arts, do you?
I can garantuee you there's an almost unlimited amount of options to KO anyone from close range, including bjj guys. Striking arts is not limited to close range. Anyone training kyokushin, kickboxing, muay tai, etc. for a substantial amount of time can and will deal with grapplers.

BJJ is a joke. It's hyped up because people see UFC fighters use it. Those guys are all experts and extremely experienced. At that level it's only to be expected. Honestly, your "regular" bjj guy wouldn't be able to take on a striker.

And this is coming from someone that has been training bjj for 1 year and kickboxing for 8

How so? Because it's the most efficient way to win a fight without risking brain damage?

taekwondo

you all make some good points, but also have convinced me i should add grappling at a later date. i have limited boxing experience as one of my friends showed me briefly a long time ago,

You don't know shit; chest to chest there is literally nothing you can do to seriously harm someone, its just as safe as being out of striking range. especially if you are head to chest (no headbutts/biting). I came from 6 years of striking to BJJ; there is literally nothing a pure striker can do to stop a grappler who is determined to take you to the floor and fuck you up.

BJJ is hyped because it's a proven system, hence why everybody in MMA utilizes it. Any BJJ practitioner who has a basic grasp of striking (Basic defense, elementary strikes) will fuck up a pure striker who isn't interested in going to the floor.

You should ask for your money back bro, because clearly you've learned fucking nothing from BJJ.

Don't waste your time grappling my Veeky Forums friend.
Assuming you're Veeky Forums, striking with fists, kicks, elbows and knees will down anyone. What's a grappler going to do when you ko him the second he gives you a faul look?

Yes in a controlled environment with rules faggot. All a striker needs to do is learn to sprawl and ground fags will get curb stomped literally.

A boxer is hands down better in the real world where often its multiple faggost trying to jump at the same time.

6 years of striking and not knowing how to deal with people coming close?

jesus fuck, you must be american

If you don't move you have very little options in terms of offensive capacity, especially if they grab you with the intention of closing the distance.

Then why do fighters with a wrestling base routinely maul bjj practitioners in the cage?

If you go to regional mma events you see it all the time. BJJ purple and brown belts lying on their back desperately clinging onto underhooks and closed guards getting the shit beat out of them by dominant wrestlers.

BJJ was only truly effective when nobody knew how to defend against it. Now everyone does.

I can admit this, despite being a nogi bjj competitor for 5 years

Kyokushin fighters can tank hits like nobody's business, but it's true, Kyokushin's rules don't make much sense.

>>Can't strike the head because knuckles can break
>>Kicks to the head are safer
Yeah right, Kyokushin.

Learning a striking art. For some reason, everyone believes most fights are usually one on one. This is untrue 90% of the time.

Buttscooting yourself into 2 guys sounds like a bad idea

I'm going to add to this and say that with Muay Thai you'll get more elbows and knees. With Kickboxing, you'll learn better punching technique (Important!) and you'll be overall more rounded.

>Youtube "Gracie challenge" and watch kickboxers/boxers, karate/judo fags, bodybuilders, akido/ninjitsu get rekd.
Note the lack of wrestlers in that list. The Gracies were beaten by a judoka too, the rules of BJJ were changed to prevent this happening again.

You're right though, BJJ is less effective against people who know BJJ.

holy fuck that gif lol

BJJ is the thinking fighter's sport. Fixed that for you.

My friend is doing MT which looks really effective, but from watching K1 I've always wanted to do kickboxing. Is there a huge loss in fighting ability in KB

>gif

Why does every martial arts thread on this board always devolve into:

>the particular martial art I've been doing for 8 months is best!
>I can easily win 99% of real world fist fights because I've been doing BJJ for 3 months! I'll just take Jamal to the ground. His 4 friends will respect the gentlemenly dual and totally not face stomp me with their timberlands"
>pssh... Boxing is for retards! I spend 120 dollars a month to take 2 muay thai classes a week so I am the superior striker
>Listen here faggot...I wrestled in high school at 160lbs so let me tell you how that would actually go down.
>I started watching UFC events around UFC 160 and have seen over 5 hours of YouTube martial arts vids so I think I'm pretty qualified to determine how a fight between X and Y would go.

I did junior level hapkido up until the age of 15 and what I learned was getting throwned and kicked in the head sucks...you know who truly is superior when it comes to physical conflicts? The guy with a CCW and top tier situational awareness.

Just do whatever martial art you WANT to do.

you get better punches, but worse elbows/knees.

I'm torn on whether to start boxing. I really want to master and be a leading figure in my area of study and I worry that if I box I'll induce brain damage and basically become a vegetable.

you don't have to compete my dude

I'll clear some stuff up for you:

Muay Thai focuses more few fast and hard punches followed by a kick, knee, elbow or clinch or whatever the situation requires. It is easier to transition to K1 from Muay Thai because of the kicking and knee usage that is allowed there. Kickboxing, unless specializing in K1, does not really do knees except in some non-sparring sessions. Ofcourse this can depend on the gym.

I have trained kickboxing for 4 years or so and Muay Thai for 2 years and I really enjoy MT a lot more.

Knees are generally friendly and slow in sparring because they deliver a lot of damage if done with accuracy and power. In my experience elbows are only used if people equip full gear like helmets and elbow protection, and even then it is done carefully.

The way kicks work are different in kickboxing and MT. Kicks generally go as roundhouse kicks in kickboxing and are often used in a karate-esque style these days. MT on the other hand focuses on doing it with power, often to interrupt a combo from the opponent or to finish up your combo. Never really used to open a combo with because it can be easily read.

Another thing is, MT, as I said, goes for power. That means that points can be scored ones the opponent is visibly hurt or pushed back from for example kicks.

Tl;Dr would be, do both kickboxing and muay thai and see which one suits you. I was more for the explosive and powerful style that MT offers.

Now boxing is really great too, I can promise you, if you think you know how to box after doing MT or Kickboxing for a years, you're wrong. A boxer will punish the wide guards you learn from MT and Kickboxing. A mixture of them all is great.

Yeah but what would the point of me boxing if I didn't do any sparring or competing? That's where you learn real fighting.

>get into fight
>it goes to the ground
>his friend come and stomp your head in

Have you been doing combat sports for a while? This must be a dumb question but how do you feel cognitively? Do you feel any slower? Do you do anything academic? I'm really hesitant to get into a combat sport because of the possible effects on the brain.

You learn the art of boxing by sparring and drilling same stuff over and over again. I suggest you just giving it a try to see if you want to stick with it.

i dont wanna see ugly guys hugging eachother for 5 rounds

I've been doing if for like 5-6 years in total and I don't notice any difference. I've had a 2 or 3 smaller concussions. And few blackouts from kicks and punches, that's about it. You will start noticing a difference if you actively go full contact in competitions e.t.c and don't listen to your body after getting shitfaced by a kick.

I work in education and have noticed nothing except that after some sessions I can feel a bit shaky where I've had accidentally gotten a hard blow to the face. I've also come to work with a few black eyes over the years.

Brain injuries are common yes, but that goes for all sports where head injuries are a possibility.

Use cerebrolysin inject cycle for braindamage.

This honestly helped a lot, also did some research before hand. i think ill take your advice and try both out but leaning more towards MT cause on how you describe its more use on power but still you can go wrong with learning both.

Fair Fighting tier list
>Awesome and straight tier
boxing.
>Gay, unfair and strong tier
BJJ.
>Straight but shit
Judo.
>Gay and shit
Everything else.

If you disagree you are wrong, ive trained every single martial art and dancing styles for 20 years each

Started mt six months ago. shits great.

you will learn to use you knee and elbows. has said, in sparring is a bit lighter, so you won't get hurt.

also, your gym might make a transition between mt and kickboxing, regarding to guard, kicks, elbows, etc. So you might end up learning it all if you go to a mt gym.

when I get 2 years of training I'm planning to add bjj. then Ill be good.

I went to a Muay Thai class yesterday and i enjoyed it, but not as much as BJJ class. On an unrelated note, i wore one of the gloves of the gym and i can't for the life of me get rid of this stench in my hands.
I also realized i am too weak since i got tired early and i got my ass handed to me by a blue belt in BJJ and the punching bag in MT.

You should go to each of those classes and see what you enjoy more user.

Injuries are very common in combat sports. More common than in any other sport. It's important to give your body enough time to recover. If you do that, you should be fine.

Yes, do it man!

youtube.com/watch?v=f1QiXIREgGY

Ofcourse there is full contact in kickboxing too, but it, to me, feels more like a waving and punching contest because of how the rule system grants points.

Soak your hands in hot soapy water

I'm not worried about the body, moreso the brain, unless that was what you were referring to.

Especially that. I've seen people get hit hard to the head in sparring and next day come back to the gym to spar again. If you're worried about the brain damage from boxing, don't be that guy.

How do you approach finding a martial arts gym/dojo/temple/whatever?

I'm way more nervous about this than I was ever about the gym.

>once I close the distance striking is useless
This is the main fallacy you "muh BJJ is superior to all other arts"-retards always make in these threads.

Hint: It's not as easy as in your classes where your opponent lays on his back waiting for you to hug him. Enjoy eating those jabs and crosses as you try to lunge forward against a good striker

You can go with a friend or just show up during beginner training and take it from there. It's not that difficult, maybe don't join on the sparring sessions for the first time if you've never done martial arts before.

I have limited experience with the army's combatives program, which is mostly a mixture of BJJ and KB/MT. 3 weeks of formal training does not a fighter make, unfortunately.

This.

Also can try shoot fighting if you want to learn how to engage from striking to BJJ in a fluid move without getting a crushed face.

Well atleast you got some idea of what to do, try it and talk to the coach or instructor and see what feels best.

no trainer worth the name would make a total noob spar on the first training, no pain no gain is a terrible meme in those places, go away asap if you find one like that

it works if you already have a solid striking basis and know how to get close without getting hammered, which is not the case in most of people saying that shit

striking is overrated, grapple.

> BJJ is the best, muay thai is god mode striker

> every martial arts is good for street fighting

Not everyone wants to grapple. A grappler may best a striker if the fight goes to the ground. I think BJJ is great and effective, but if you told me to do calisthenics when I asked if I should do oly lifting or powerlifting, I'd tell you to fuck off.

BJJ

How do people who need glasses do this? I can't wear them while In the ring or sparring, but that would have to greatly reduce seeing what's coming

Contacts?

Don't wear them. I also don't want them to get crushed in my pocket if something happens

>Gracie challenge

The one where they routinely only fought against people who assumed they wouldn't commit the social fauxpas of playing on the ground. While getting the shit beaten out of them by people who expected it? Spouting bullshit about technique>strength while taking more steroids than a hambeast takes chicken wings at the budget? That "challenge"? Totally legit

Muay Thai is pretty brutal shit. When I was training I had to condition my shins. Which involved kicking a heavy bag ~200 times each leg for as many sets I could do in a hour.

What the fuck do you mean crushed in your pocket?

If I'm wearing contacts and take a fist or leg in the head. The contacts could shatter in the eye socket

Contacts are made out of plastic you moron, they don't shatter.

You get used to it after a while. It kinda sucks at first but unless you're completely fucking blind then you can read your opponent well enough to know what they're going to throw at you next. In wrestling, the only thing I had trouble seeing was the score board.
Contacts aren't a good idea for striking sports because the contact can get dislodged and get pushed deep into the eye