Running General

Hello Veeky Forums
I've started following Learn To Run 10k (vancouversun.com/pdf/sunrun_it_insert.pdf) and I've just completed week 3, however each time I do a run, I get shin splints. On my rest days, I can't really pick up my pace a little because it hurts, but when it's time for my next run they've pretty much healed, only to come back when I do my next run.

Do runners of Veeky Forums have any preventative measures for shin splints? I stretch my calves and shins and that helps, but I'm wondering if more experienced runners have any suggestions.

Also, Running General

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M9iV-_3ql10
strava.com/clubs/fitizens
youtube.com/watch?v=1fBh2qH4QbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you run on? Concrete?

There's a padded rubber track a block away from me, so no. I haven't run seriously since high school 8 years ago, so that might be part of the problem.

soccer, track, cross country, etc my whole life and I've never had shin splints
how is your form? if you don't take full strides, but rather "pound" your feet into the ground halfway through strides, I could see that being a problem
each step should be a step, not a stop
but otherwise I donno
are you fat?

I'm really sorry OP but the only real option is to wait for the shin splints to end, you could get some better running shoes. Someone I knew had shin splints and she always complained that the doctor basically told her to fuck off whenever she went to see him.

run on grass if you can. biggst recco is dont push through them, let them heal. not something you should be pushng through

>finally able to run five miles
>bump it up to seven
>knee and quad start hurting like a bitch and I have to walk the last two miles home

I was told I would never have problems and everything would be easy forever, this is bullshit.

Stretching is good
Ice your shins too
As others have recommended already, rest and let them heal properly. It's common for beginners to increase their mileage too quickly and they end up with shin splints. It has something to do with calves developing faster than the small muscles on the front side of your lower leg. You don't need to increase your mileage every week, and there's nothing wrong with being a bit conservative at first. Consistency and adequate recovery are key, even if you feel you could be running even more

Why is it thst shin splints are so fucking common? Slow the fuck down and work on proper form before doing any kind of speed work. Do you see trainers setting 2pl8s for people they are instructing for the first time on deadlifts? Fuck no. Same concept applies.

run on the toes to mid foot, if u are running heel first, u will have a bad time also slow down

>toes
Hope you and achilles tendonitis get along well.

>also slow down
Good advice, many beginners run waayyyyy too fast for their fitness level and the condition of their ligaments / joints. Running is tough on the legs

Last week one user told me to try a pace run. So here it is. Should I increase the time or pace for the next run?

Also listening to military cadence while running helped my breathing and pacing a lot. Anybody else listening to them while running?

being this retarded, toe to midfoot striking, not heel, learn to read

>running
>ever
HAh, enjoy losing all your gains

I think you might be referring to me, I recommended you do a 20 minute tempo run. A 5:32/km pace is pretty decent for a beginner, was it so that you were only running once a week? I'd wouldn't suggest that you lengthen your tempo runs, but at as your fitness improves over the next 3-4 runs, you might realize that you're pace gets quicker although you're putting in the same effort. Sometimes people run 30min or even 40min tempo runs, but I wouldn't suggest you do that until you've got a good number of 20min runs under your belt

He means if you run too far forward on the foot, it puts a lot of strain on the achilles tendon.

Yeah, I'm that guy running once a week. I'm considering squeezing a tempo run on my rest day too. I'm getting kinda hooked on running desu. Going to report back in after some 20 minute runs. Thank you running user!

>I'm considering squeezing a tempo run on my rest day too
Twice a week might be to much user. Although it's only a "comfortably hard" effort, it takes some time to recover, and you don't want to force yourself in the runs (because they're "comfortably hard")

How do you control your breathing while running? Are there any specific methods/rhythms you guys use?

>Twice a week might be to much user
I'm going to try it for a week, if my training suffers or my knees explode, I'm going to revert back to running once a week. I have nothing better to do apart from training now, so rest days get boring.

>Are there any specific methods/rhythms you guys use?
I run to this. Inhale when the officer sings, exhale when soldiers reply. Works for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=M9iV-_3ql10

have asthma, mouth-breather, should be through nose, but easier said than done

In general it's recommended to increase your distance by at most 10% per week. Take it easy, you'll get there

Threadly reminder to join autism
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>thought about joining
>then thoughts of getting doxxed kick in
No thanks.

Use a fake name faggot

You could try a lesser distance, first few times out of the season, then move up 1000m or so at a time to a proper 10km.

That was what finally worked for me. New shoes, old shoes, same result every season.

In any case, after a month or six weeks, I would realize somewhere out in regular life, hey, I don't have any shin pain.

Did my first timed 5k couple of days ago. 21:47. Didnt warm up before I started timing and still had a lot of energy when I finished so feel like U could do a lot better. Have been running for a while but mostly for cardio. Thinking about trying a program. Any recommedations? Im doing PPL 6 days a week.

Run barefoot, or with thin shoes. It fixed my shins in a couple weeks

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Is running or jogging recommended for people in their 40s?

Does anyone have any good beginner HIIT stuff to get started with?

Jogging and slow running are the same thing user

All you can do is take them seriously and rest longer than you think is necessary. Be careful with your shins. When I started running I had huge problems, which led me to be unable to run for a while. It sucks, but if you give your body the rest it needs, you'll be much better equipped to do that 10k. I started with 10k's about 2 years ago and now I run Marathons

I also use extra soles for my heels, which helps prevent damage to the shins and knees as well. Maybe try socks with a bit of support for your shins?

You should increase/time and pace as you feel fit to do so, but don't go overboard and increase it too much in a short time. You should also don't go for speed if you are running on concrete, that can mess you up

Here's my routine if anyone has any advice or pointers:

I run 10k 3 times a week, at about 4:50 minutes/km

Then I run one longer every saturday (currently about 17km but slowly increasing it) I try to workout at the gym on two of my rest days, and I sometimes jog at a slower pace to get there (5,5km at a pace of 5:25-5:30 minutes/km.

If you have any questions or pointers about it, please ask! I really want constructive criticism as I feel I could do a bit better

I use runkeeper for intervals, and it's great. If you want more muscle than cardio you could go for hill sprints

+1 for this. Since switching to barefoot I've never had another injury. But build up as it's a shock to your calves if you have gotten used to cushioned shoes. It also makes running so much fun!

Thanks, I'll look into that.
I'm looking for cardio instead of muscle really. Been lifting for some time but neglecting cardio, so my legs are in shape but my heart isn't. I do an easy ~5k one or two times a week, but HIIT is supposed to be good for you so I'm thinking doing that on one of the days.

buy minimalist shoes and learn to run with a mid-foot strike and a quick cadence. I recommend buying newtons. they look weird but basically teach you how to run while still providing good cushioning.

youtube.com/watch?v=1fBh2qH4QbM

Definitely go for intervals then! Maybe 2 minutes high tempo, 1 slow? Learn by doing, try out and find what's best for you!

Redpill me on these.

Nothing but a gimmick. I even tried them for a few months, and I absolutely cannot recommend them. Just buy a good pair of real running shoes.

They're actually perfectly good running shoes but it's something you have to ease into if you've always worn heel stompers. It's like handing the keys to a slammed jam car to someone learning how to drive - they're gonna fuck up your oil pan or something.

Cons is that they smell horrendous and that stone chips get between the toes.

Do calf strengthening exercises and make sure that your shoes aren't too big.
I just ran through them when I was a teen and they never came back, I don't know if that will work for older people.

When I was 16, I transitioned from martial arts to running and I started by running 10k until it stopped making my legs scream. Good times

anyone have any suggestions for getting better 5K times? Thinking about enlisting in the navy so any military running tips in general.

What are some of your experiences with New balance minimus 10v1s? Just ordered a pair and it is my first time going into minimalist running

OP here. I appreciate all the suggestions, I'll put ice on my shins and take a few days to a week off running before I start back at week 1.

These are the shoes I'm using, Mizuno Wave Sayonara. Really lightweight, I like them.