Anybody recovered completely from herniated disc? I can't lift anymore I want to die

Anybody recovered completely from herniated disc? I can't lift anymore I want to die.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l2widlK5sHs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, pretty much every high level powerlifter. Look up Chad Wesley Smith's (Juggernaut Training) recovery story, his chiro wrote about it in a series of articles. It's all about focusing on improving dysfunction that caused the issue, think hip amd thoracic mobility, breathing and inner core function. Find a GOOD physio or sports rehab doctor or chiro if you can't figure out your issues.

>go to a chiro

yeah go to an unlicensed non doctor to fix your medical problem

>I know better than doctors who went to school for at least 6 years

Never change fit.

fell of a roof herniated 2 discs in lower back. physiotherapist for 8 months then work to strengthen lower back and hip mobility. Keep your chin up user you'll be alright.

Chiropractors aren't doctors you fucking mongoloid. Trusting them is like trusting a homeopath.

>young male, 3 month status post l4-l5 and l5-s1 disc herniations. extreme foot drop with sciatic impingement. i never got to diddly 3 plates...
I ended up getting an epidural and focused for 2 months on gradually strengthening my core, obliques and back etc.

Did physical therapy by myself and healed with better posture/core. take it slow and figure out if your herniation is minor from a spine institute etc.

thats why calisthenics are superior
almost 0% risk of injuries that will fuck you up for life

go back to doing dips / pull ups at the park jamal

Not doctors, you fucking idiot.

Post your legs

I herniated my lower disc like 1.5 years back. Couldn't walk for 3-4 months. Now can DL 120 kg after 2-3 months in the gym. Not impressive I know but for me it is an achievement

OP here. I was actually thinking about going into calisthenics and ditching the weights once recovered. The risks are just not worth it.

Thanks user. Can I ask you exactly what exercises and stretches did you do please?

What exercises and stretches?

youtube.com/watch?v=l2widlK5sHs
this Russian guy managed to recover from a spine trauma that had paralyzed him from below his waist, and went on to become a heavy lifter
A disk is nothing compared to that.

>What are shoulder injuries

my brother injured his spine going heavy on squats, says he still feels it when he sits in a chair too long

would this be a herniated disc? How can he improve it?

Same here man. Well I don't know if it's a herniated disc but my upper back has tingling and numbness near the shoulder blades, happens so often. It can be painful to stand for longer than half an hour and sometimes lying down feels shitty too. I believe I reinjured a pre existing injury when I was deadlifting with shitty form back in march. Is it likely a herniated disc?

>herniated disc
>that high
not likely

does it feel like its deep?

Reminder that heavy lifting is a meme

Never thought about the depth of the pain before but no, it doesn't really feel deep but not exactly that shallow either. It can be really fucking sharp at times though, like just while standing a certain point in my upper back will starting hurting more and more and I'll have to sit down to relieve it

Chiros go to school for a few weeks man

it might be something else

does it hurt when you round that part of the spine? And It should feel really deep, if you get someone to massage it you wouldnt feel it if it was a disc issue

that is impressive for a herniated disc, dont let ss worshiping fucks tell you otherwose

maybe in places like europe, but in america chiros have to meet a lot of different standards that are required which usually include about 6 years of schooling/practice before they're allowed to actually practice

how does one get a herniated disc?

thank you for bringing up this info about chads recovery, i find it hard to find good info online

No it doesn't hurt to round it or stretch it or even have it massaged or touched anywhere for that matter. I keep on throwing my back out even more in stupid ways though. I don't know what it is. 2 or 3 weeks ago I woke up at 4:30 in the morning with some of the worst pain yet sweating balls and my back just pulsating in pain. I had to use a warming pad for relief so I could get back to sleep

either of these
1. incorrect posture for years without exercise
2. lifting heavy weights with incorrect form for some time
3. direct outside damage to the spine (like falling on it really hard)

ic, thanks!

>let's put a nerve just behind the disc
>no tiny muscles around discs to keep them from rupturing
what a shitty design nature

I sorted it from most common to least common by the way

Keep in mind lifting heavy weights with good form for a couple of reps will actually strengthen your stuff

Some people do it wrong at the start and some people go too heavy and get form breakdown. Study the form and know when to back off and nothing will ever happen to ya. Take care

>just started gym
>I'll just pick up this heavy dumbbell by bending sideways
>*POP* *CRACK*
>*HNNNNNGGG*
>disc slips sideways
>took me 3 years of manualy trying to put in in place and doing excercises every day
>I'm fine now, like nothing ever happened
I could literally pop it in place with my thumb. Advice to gym newfags, first strenghten your spine and abs

cool thanks, again!

by the way, are there any early symptoms of it?

>he thinks you can herniate your shit by picking up a heavy dumbell once
no it means that your back was already at the point of breaking

>by the way, are there any early symptoms of it?
In my experience not really. When you're close to snapping you might feel a slight discomfort in your back but it will not make you consider it

And then BOOM the slight discomfort feels like someone stuck a knife in your back and you barely can walk. Just like that

I had a fracture but did not damage my spine. It was due to squatting/deadlifting with naturally bad posture. When I tried to brace and intentionally maintain a "neutral spine" position, it was in a poor position to bear the weight since my posture was bad beforehand. My back was never rounded, but my spine was straight instead of having it's natural curve.

That's because we aren't designed, things happen by chance. The human body is littered with shit that any engineer would change instantly.

How do i avoid this shit? If i stay below 1/2/3/4 I'll be safe r-right?
>inb4 form
If pro powerlifters get their shit snapped so can i

Not OP, but also have back injury. It isn't a herniated disc but my whole lower back is fucked. I can't sit up straight with my legs stretched out, my lower back literally curves on basic dips. Super tight, sitting for extended periods sucks, any moderate weight strain mskes it infinitely more painful and taut. Any ideas on wtf I did and how to fix? Seeing doctor in two weeks to get referral to physio but it's still shitty until then.

from experience as i am currently working my up to 3/4 and have achieved 1/2 with a herniated disc, do lighter weight higher reps with a strict form policy, with a heavy day or two mixed in depending on how you feek

OP here. Some of you guys have been helpful but can anybody address some exercises or stretches useful for healing? I'm already doing physio but I want to do more by myself too

what makes you sure it isnt a herniated disc? did your doc tell you? that aside, if its not a slipped disc (which it sounds like it is) you could have really tight hamstrings and muscular imbalances in your upper back and neck. give a deep tissue massage a go, but id really get a second opinion

healing boils down to setting the cartlidge in its proper place away from nerves so it can slowly repair the tear in the disc. excercises differ deoending on what type of herniation it is, or in other words does it hurt when you flex, or does it hurt when you extend? do side to side movements hurt? if it hurts when you move in flexion for e.g, since its most common, try to stay in extension as much as possible during the day. yoga type stretching will benefit the healing process. try to buold your core muscles (ALL of your core not just abs) so they take the pressure instead of your spine

to expand on this with my own experience, i have to stay in extension. Doing excercises like reverse hyperextension, supermans, bridges and hip thrusts build your lower back muscles (back portion of core). suitcase carries, side planks build my obliques and weighted planks build my front core muscles. these are just what i use additinal to engaging core during compound lifts, there are many others you can find online.
stretching excercises to relieve pain for myself involve just hanging from a bar (feet above ground), lying face up and bringing one knee to the opposite side of my body, and usually just lying face down tends to releive my pain somewhat.
I try to avoid sitting down for extend periods and if i have to i change position constantly

I've had an xray done, don't believe it is a slipped disc. The doctor seemed to think it was just really bad muscles twisted and fucked up from my constant sitting and bad posture in conjunction with strain on it from physical activity. I mostly cycle, box, and play hockey so most of that is somewhat bent over.

I just moved though so I'm seeing a new doctor and I'll see what he says. Its pretty frustrating, whatever it is. I can't squat, deadlift, or even dumbbell rows.

I'n my country a chiropractor requires 8 - 10 years of training and is a non-medical doctor. And has a strict regulatory body.

you're fucking delusional. They're required to go to a "chiropractic schools" for 10 trimesters and pass a board exam. That's all.
They are not doctors, no matter how you insist in trusting them. If you have a medical condition you should first visit a doctor and eventually ask him if a chiropractor would be beneficial for your case.

Most chiropractor programs are 3-4 years. The core of their philosophy is false, unsupported bullshit though. Palmer was a fucking quack, and none of the shit they do has any actual evidence behind it. They go to school for 4 years to figure out how to make cracking noises that sometimes have a placebo effect. Worst case scenario, they kill you with a vertebral artery dissection or paralyze you by trying to manipulate a spine with underlying pathology.

Chiros are fucking scum.

In Canada they are legally considered doctors. Go through four year program after undergrad, including a residency, take similar courses to med school, have graduate programs, required years of experience via residency. Pretty tightly regulated.

That means you hyper extended your spine. A neutral position maintains the thoracic and lumber curves that occur naturally. You were likely arching your back to make it "straight" and were in a hyper extended position.

the only reason i was adamant about it being a slipped disc is becuase often xrays miss things and i to get a CAT scan done since it was in an awkward position. my doc said i probably had muscular imbalances and inhad to come back to insist it wasn't to get the referral for a scan, whcih led to the discovery.
cycling and hockey involve flexing your lumbar spine, coupled with sitting for long periods of time and possible poor posture while standing are what id consider a likely scenario for a slipped disc. its best to know exactly what it is since the wrong approach to a hernaited disc as just a muscular problem can end up making it worse and create an even greater recovery time period and pain. You may be right and i might just be a hypocondriac, but from personal experience you dont fuck around with your back

I honestly don't recall if I had a CAT scan done but I'll probably ask the doctor about that when I see him. Cheers for the advice, it's definitely something I don't want to fuck with. My mother has like two herniated discs and is practically crippled, dont want to end up like her

np, a herniated disc is really not the end of the world and its a common problem even established weightlifters face. What sets people who still experience pain apart from those who do is how they go about recovering and preventing further ruptures.

Thanks user this is very useful. Yes I have your same problem, I have to stay in extension as well. I'll try those. I just hope it will pass with time. It's so bad sometimes I feel disabled. I can't stretch my left leg for shit and walking is painful after a while. Sitting is not even a choice for now (maybe 2-3 minutes).

i have a herniated disk at l4/l5 and it still haunts me. you have to be very focused on form and not on ego. once you are feeling better, you should really deload and slowly start lifting again.

also snatch grip deadlifts are easier on the back but you won't put up as big of numbers

pro powerlifters go for 1 rep maxes all the time. Guess what maximum weights easily can break form

you can easily go way beyond those numbers and never snap any shit. Just gotta stay away from going to failure and never lift heavier than 95% of 1RM

yes. the only way out of hell is through. you're will is stronger than you realize.

Some barbers have had herniated disks in their necks even