Tfw fell for the SS/Stronglifts meme

>Tfw fell for the SS/Stronglifts meme
Don't do it. You'll end up like pic related not to mention facing injuries every other week.

Don't listen to the lies, you do NOT need a strength base to be aesthetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A6SJf1TcMks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thanks. Guy that does ss fo years

>i was too dumb to figure out the difference between strength training and bodybuilding

>I'm too dumb to realize that people recommend SS to beginners REGARDLESS of their goals, and claim SS will also lead to aesthetics because a 5x5 has as much reps as a 3x8 so it'll induce hyptrophy

>I didn't actually read SS or PPFST and think I was doing the program and currently know what I'm talking about

>i was too dumb to figure things out on my own

I read both of those, ran the program as written, and still came away with some piss poor upper body development and bench/ohp numbers

at this point it's irrelevant because that was in 2011 and my upper body has caught up, but I still think people who only want aesthetics are being taken for a fucking ride when someone convinces them to do an aggressive linear progression program with less sets of bench per month than squat

I can't really understand why there has to be one of these threads every day. There are obvious reasons why everybody should start with something resembling a routine like Starting Strength, like getting acquainted with the basic lifts, with progressive overload and the concept of recovery. If you start with something like Greyskull, you'll even get acquainted with autoregulation.

Nobody is legally bound to doing any of these routines, if you have any brains you'd have moved on from an LP program once you've had some experience and are clearer about your goals.

I'm always confused by these threads. When I did SS the aesthetic results were fantastic: shoulders, traps, back, forearms, legs. Only thing that was lacking was chest, switched to a 3-12 upper body and everything was golden.

>Don't listen to the lies, you do NOT need a strength base to be aesthetic.

You're a fool if you actually think this.
"Aesthetics" is dependant on two things - how lean you are and how much muscle your frame holds. Leanness aka bodyfat percentage is all diet related.

Now who do you think will have more muscle? The guy benching 155 for 10 reps or the guy benching 225 for 10 reps? I'll give you one fucking guess.

I bet youre on of those people who thinks 5x5 will mark you a fat powerlifter and 3x8 will make you look like Jeff Seid

>bulking when starting as chubby
SS isn't the problem here, OP.

Looking thick. Solid. Tight.

Another fat t-rex to add to Rippetoe's collection. You've all been played.

Tell me your secret

Did you start out thin? I started doing SL a couple weeks ago, and haven't noticed much unchecked bulking. Most of my gains have been rather lean, and I started thin. I think the people who say it isn't aesthetic are those that start while they're fat and expect it to make them cut which is the opposite.

>high rep ranges are better for aesth-

you misunderstood what he meant

the idea is that you don't have to do 3x5 routines to progressively overload and get stronger, you can do the same thing with higher volume routines (it might be a little slower to reach the same weights, but you will gain more size)

there is no requirement to do a SS-esque beginner program for some period of time before moving to slightly higher reps, you will make progress with either one and if your goal is aesthetics it makes no sense at all to spend so much of your training energy squatting a heavy 3x5 3x a week

obviously the only way to get big is to incrementally increase the weight on the bar, nobody thinks (i hope) that you can stay forever benching 95lbs for sets of 10 and get huge, but thinking you can't increase weight on the bar just because you are using a rep range higher than 5 or doing more than 3 sets is asinine

you fell for nothing, your lifts increased significantly. yeah your fat but now you have a strength base to work off of. your aesthetics training starts now.

start eating at a deficit, find a good program which emphasizes aesthetics. add some arm work and you'll be where you want to be. Stop blaming a good BEGINNER STRENGTH BUILDING PROGRAM for not looking like arnold in his prime in 8 months. this shit takes years son.

That's good progress.
Better to go for the
Strength > Aesthetics route
Than going for the
Aesthetics > Nowhere route

Check your diet.

Congratulation on the progress.

I've been doing SL for about 7 weeks now. What routine should I switch to when my linear gains stop?

He has muscles his body fat is just really high. If he cuts it'll be noticeable.

nSuns 531 LP is legit amazing.

>SS
>barbell rows

I'll write that down, bottle it up, and keep it in mind.

But be warned, it's 5 consecutive days a week and it's very taxing, you also have to be knowledgeable to know which accessories to add/substract every day.

Is squatting my own bodyweight a good time to switch off of SS?

I'm a manlet fatty btw 5'6'' at 188lbs. Today I'll be squatting 160lbs after about a month

You're not done with linear progression until you can't put weight on the bar every session. How they fuck do people not get this?

I "fell for the SS meme" (2nd pic being evidence) but transitioned into an aesthetics program fairly well.

The value of SS is, in my opinion, more so psychological than anything else. It's easy to follow, not time consuming, and gives quantifiable progress (in the form of weight on the bar) for months – this will keep beginners on the program, whereas a PPL for 2 hours a day, 6 days a week would cause the, to quit.

You switch programs when it doesn't work anymore. Not an arbitrary number. I got to 330 lbs for 3x5 on SS weighing 195-200 at 5' 11". You can honestly double your squat on SS if you work hard.

>a 5x5 has as much reps as a 3x8

inbred retard education at its finest!

>200lbs
>bulks instead of cutting
The fuck you were expecting, fucking dumbass.

>those legs in the 2nd pic

what the fugg

But "the meme"gave you fucking solid results, obviously.

so you're doing a 6xppl now ? Mirin

Learning to face your fear of heavy weight and cultivating the discipline to follow a routine are valuable mental benefits to SS, on top of the physical strength benefits.

But you undoubtedly benefited from SS physically. Your legs look fantastic now, but you built that initial mass doing SS. The strength gains also translated into the ability to do volume training with heavier weights (thus, much higher total volume) than would've been the case if you jumped straight to PPL as a novice, and that volume turned into great muscle hypertrophy in your arms, lats, etc.

There's no reason not to start with SS.

>he thinks SS is 5x5
>he judges a program he didn't actually read

All the people who bitch about SS are just fat fucks

you forgot to cut.
also, yours is the muffin top that will pierce the pants

>fell for the SS meme
>did SS to get strength base and then transitioned to a workout for aesthetics

So you did exactly what you were supposed to do according to SS and it worked out great? How is this "falling for it"? Looks like it worked as intended. You know that you weren't supposed to keep doing SS indefinitely, right?

How the fuck are people still debating this? SS or Gestapo. TUT is the final solution.

dont be fat 1x5

now you cut, retard if you want look aesthetic

it's a beginners routine for fuck's sake, you do what you will once you've got some mass and strength to work with

why are people dumb

>you do NOT need a strength base to be aesthetic.
A novice needs a strength base for at least 6 months. OTOH, you shouldn't stay on SS for years.
Please stop spreading moot advice.
The guy in those pictures is Faarkrog and his lifting history is completely unrelated to your pathetic attempt at a thread.

I used "fell for the meme" in quotes because it's a half truth. I did get retarded big legs and look hella trex, but I also used the program as a stepping stone into a more aesthetics based routine (my own PPL-ish concoction)

>those fucking legs in the 2nd pic

In hindsight I can look back and laugh at them, but at the time I honestly thought I looked good. Which I think is fantastic - be happy with your body, but always improve upon it. Who knows, maybe in two more years I'll look back on the third pic and think "fuck, did I actually think I looked good back then?"

The guy in OPs picture actually got shredded once he ditched SS and did calisthenics

No... No, he didn't.

Only did calisthenics.

lol you got aesthetic legs for sure but they look so silly in the 2nd pic

problem is not with the workout, but with the diet. guy pictured should lose at least 10, prob 15, maybe even 20kgs.

I shouldn't have said shredded, but he looks a hell of a lot better than when he did Memetits's workout.

That's quite a transformation considering in the 2011 pic he looks like a calvin kleinfelter model.

>a guy who hasn't cut looks worse than one who has

What did he mean by this

>Calvin Kleinfelter
My fucking seids

can't this guy just shift his focus from lifting heavier to shedding bodyfat and then he'd look ripped?

Yes, goy, fall the "all you need is chin up" meme. Fall for the "you don't need a strength foundation" meme. You'll never reach levels.

Jesus, after years and years he's a puffy nipples faggot afraid to do bench presses. If you look at him in something that's not a cherry picked photo you'll be able to call the bluff. Even funnier when you watch him shirtless in vid.

Jeez, that's not even ottermode.

dear God, the testimonial page.

>that's ripped

>Calvin Kleinfelter
I'm stealing that

Isn't there another picture of the same guy who cut and looks better now? I think omar used it in a thumbnail.

I'm never ever gonna squat. It's homo shit.

>Do free weights for upper body
>only machines for legs
I hate squats and deadlifts

So when you say you can't put weight on the bar anymore, does that mean you are unable to finish a set? Like it's just too much to the point that your muscles would give out and it'd fall back on you? Or you just cannot lift it anymore?

Jesus Christ, read the fucking book.

it would never "fall" back on you. If you couldn't lift it in the first place, it can't fall back on you

As a guy who lifts in a non meme way, listen up.

These strength (s-t-r-e-n-g-t-h) programs are to get you strong. Being strong is great for bodybuilding as a natty and will make your body savage looking. Think Justin Lascek. These programs teach you how to move under a bar, how to handle weight etc and at the natty level you're already going to get plenty mass doing strength. Rippetoe doesn't like curls but fuck him and add them in if you want.

If you twat around on cables and do isolations you'll look like every other guy that does that. Ie, you will look like you don't lift.

>expecting Veeky Forums to not be full of shitposts

the irony in this post is so deliciously thick.

>that pic
I'm stealing that
>Calvin Kleinfelter
that too, that shit is comedy gold.

>tfw fell for the calisthenics meme
>Did stupid meme routines like 300 push-ups a day along with 100 pullups and 200 situps
>Tfw have abs and wide shoulders instead of strong legs and mantits
Seriously, we should have newfags who want to get aesthetic just do calisthenics and cardio for a few months before hitting the gym. The sticky diet advice is fucking great but the routines need to be updated.

>I never noticed that I was 25% body fat so I continued to gain weight

WOW! All those pushups and chinups made him able to stand underneath top-down lighting! Amazing progress!

Hmmm. youtube.com/watch?v=A6SJf1TcMks

Because the sticky needs to be updated because it's fullof broken links and outdated information that clashes with general knowledge here

Arnold did pretty jason genova tier quarter squats there

if you're afraid of "homo shit" then stop lifting because you'll attract gay men if you don't. unless of course you yourself are gay and you're merely projecting.

the only thing ripped here is his nipples

Mother nature gave a body that looks like I've been doing SS+GOMAD for at least a year. What do now, stick to PPL where leg exercises are spread between PP days?

Seeing threads like this giveme conflicting feels.

On the one side, I remember my beginings and feel empathy for every noobie trying to make it.

On the other, I dont believe stupid people deserve to make it.

Im just gonna say, since you clearly dont know shit and look awful, just read SS and PP, and slowly diet to lower bf%. And pls stop shitposting.

Rippetoe actually loves curls. There was this post where he confessed it was his lifting sin and some fitizens made memes of it.

Also chins are awesome for biceps.