/run/

Welcome to the running general!
>Why run?
It is a free and efficient way to lose fat and get your heart in shape. It clears the mind. It burns a fuck ton of calories letting you eat whatever you want. Last of all, humans are built for long distance running, out of all known species we are the absolute best at running long distances.
>What about my gains
Eat more if you wanna keep gains. Jogging just 20 minutes a day is not going to burn too many calories, but it will get your heart working better and overall help your gains. Also face gains from running are a very real thing.
>how do I get into running?
If you are a disgusting lardass over 250lbs, don't run because you will fuck up your knees, do low impact cardio and maybe put down the fucking donuts. If you are really out of shape and can't even run for 2 minutes without stopping, then do couch to 5k. If you can jog for 20 minutes without stopping(don't worry about mileage yet), then just keep jogging everyday, doing a little bit more each time.

Now get off the computer and go do your cardio, then come back and shitpost.

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
youtube.com/watch?v=AVMkMvaqk6U
youtube.com/watch?v=F3zIBaaD26o
youtube.com/watch?v=vzrYgDnewSI
youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_We-Y_11E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do i do sprints, muscles help in that right

Since I started running for the military I stopped back squatting cause the leg Dom's would ruin my runs and my quads would chaffe

Now I'm a fair bit smaller, legs don't chaffe, but yeah they are kinda small cause I was a bench dominant lifter to begin with anyway...

Am I cucking myself? Should I squat again?

Going into the armed forces, which is why I chose to be this retarded.

You could have worn compression shorts under your normal shorts or something along those lines

I run but on my treadmill and I feel like its using muscles as efficiently as running outside does, but at the same time can watch tv or do whatever the fuck i want and when running outside shits way to boring, even with music it sucks major ass, what do?

I guess? The chaffing was really bad so I kinda don't miss it desu

Honestly lad, who gives a shit about big legs? Military is all about endurance, assuming you are not a pog. I know a guy who literally had your same exact problem. He is going into the army, trying to be a ranger, and because he squatted so much his thighs would not only chaffe, but squeeze his balls as he ran, so it felt like he was getting continually nutshotted. He stopped squatting and he became a much better runner. Really, just do whatever you want, it all depends on what exactly you want to do in the military. If you want to do any special forces, being able to run for a long time is a must. If you wanna be a normal grunt, then you just need to be able to pass the mindblowingly easy pft.

Friend keeps irking me to do a 10k with him in October. I'm sedentary and have only began bodyweight stuff in June.

Can I skip C25K and be conditioned enough to run this event and not be destroyed for my weakness?

>Finally able to run over 20 minutes on the regular
Still only at a 10 minute mile pace (~9km/h) but I'm getting there.
Used to be able to run 6k but put on 20kg of fat, smoked and stopped doing any kind of sport for a while.

>Face gains from running are a real thing

Can you elaborate on this? I can't see the correlation

My knees are all fucked since I started stronglifts, I used to run 10k every other day before starting it but I stopped running lately since I can't keep up squats and deadlifts and runing on rest days

Would proper running shoes stop the knee pain?

couch to 5k and 5k to 10k combined as a couch to 10k lasts 14 weeks (3 runs a week)

I did it a couple years ago in 12 weeks (a run in every 2 days, 3 runs a week and 4 runs in another)

so it's doable in 12 weeks, and you may even skip some of those (for example w1d3, w2d3, w3d3 or w4d3) and do it in 9-10 weeks

you sure can do better but if you are starting from couch I'd recommend to do complete it in 11-12 weeks, as your stamina steadily builds up

sry for 3rd world english

started running a few months ago, started off at 10min mile, now im down to 8:15ish on my first mile, averaging 9:15 after about 6 miles.

thanks.

can i speed up the building of my stamina? for example if i bike around everywhere instead of drive for those weeks, will i become even more conditioned?

Not OP, but when you lower weight, your face gets dryer and thinner, making it more angular and handsome.

Is parkour a meme? Can you be muscular and still parkour?

How do you know how much to cardio to do? Just to elaborate, I'm going to be going on a cut soon and would like to start doing more cardio, but how do you know how much calories you will be burning and what type of cardio to do? I do not want to do too much and increase my caloric deficit to drastically and lose all my gains.

Interesting perspective. I definitely don't regret the decision, and it's reassuring to read this post.

I'm not doing POG work. But I am aiming for a few air force officer roles, so I guess PT isn't the end all, more so my intelligence (which is lacking lmao.)

Awesome user. Gives me something to look forward. Usually people are either like me, 2 miles in 40 minutes or averaging 4 min mile pace for a marathon, so its good to have some in between

What advantages does running have over skipping?

cross breeding running with cycling is generally a good idea, considering cycling is easy on knees joints and shit as opposed in running

also swimming works wonders if you have access, and running, cycling and swimming is simply triathlon

I guess it's best that you run and cycle on the same day, and rest every other day, your body needs rest

Run outside in an area with lots of qts

depends on where you live i guess. Im near some great park trails, walnut and oak trees dirt path etc. but i need to run before sundown.

Also having better form + mid/fore-foot strike

Most running apps will have some estimation of the calories spent per run, but they are no more than that. So you'd just have to go and see what happens.

Jogging after 25 minutes makes my feet hurt. Am I doing it wrong or is it because I'm a sedentary fuck?

Your feet? Most likely an issue with your shoes, but could be bad form as well.

Which part of your feet hurt?
Which part of your foot hits the ground first?

run fast for a bit

Used to run track all my life, family of runnner etc..

Now 40lbs more muscle, and doing starting running again, and a 5k in the morning kills my evening workouts, and I've lost 7lbs in 3 weeks, and can't keep weight on. Is running a meme? Whats going on here.....

If you're not used to jogging at all, then your feet are going to hurt regardless of what shoes you use or what your form is.

The answer depends on how accustomed you are to actually doing it.

How does it "kill your workouts"?

Why don't you try running on your off days?

Threadly reminder
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

Just lift less, have less energy, can't workout as hard. After working and running I feel pretty tired without preworkout.

Does BF% have anything to do with this? At about 10% now and being lean and the running is cucking me I think. Pic related

need to start doing cardio

I look fit but would struggle to run 2k

gf just dumped me, need to go cocoon mode

Literally just eat more. If you are losing weight, that means you are not eating enough. Don't overthink it either, plenty of people run in the mornings and workout in the evenings. If you keep telling yourself you are tired then you are gonna be tired for your evening workout. If you keeping telling your body to man the fuck up and get on with the workout, then you are gonna blast the workout.

is it possible to get ready for a half marathon in 1.5 months? the one i want to run takes place on the start of september, but i fucked up my ankle and probably wont be able to train for another week or two.
currently running 10Ks in about 55-60 mins pretty comfortably btw

>tfw just do phat runs and some pushups, situps, and pullups
>spend the rest of my time shitposting and reading
>feel much better now than I did when I was hitting the gym hard everyday and trying to get laid
Running is comfy. Its like meditation and exercise in one activity. I use to run 10k everyday when i was doing the saitama workout, and I kinda wanna start doing that again. There is nothing like going on a hot run in the Texas sun, then coming home, taking a freezing shower, stretching, and then drinking some milk and reading a book.

C25k

Yes, that is very possible. When I did my first half marathon, I had only done maybe a 7 mile run before. It wasn't even a real half marathon, my buddy and I just ran on uneven farm roads and on the side of highways(in a very hilly environment) until his garmin watch said we were at 13.1 miles. One time, I hadn't run in probably 2 months, and I just got up and started running. I felt good, so I decided to try and run as far as I could. I was at 13.2 miles when I finally came back to my house, over trails, hills, neighborhood streets, etc. My dad always told me, "if you can run 5 miles you can run 20". It really is true.

>can't even run a full mile without getting winded
Where the hell do I even begin?

C25k is great for that, but you'll need to follow it to a t if you want it to really work

Thanks, I'll check it out

>start running
>get strava
>running is hard
>do 3.8km at just over 6min/km
>notbad.jpg
>check strava Veeky Forums group
>10K run warmup
>half marathon with 3:37 pace
>some nigger with 100km bike ride
>mfw it wasn't not bad

Semi-related, how long will it take until I can run after squatting and not feel like my quads are gonna implode?

No. I'm waiting till 8:30pm when it's cooler. You tryna make me catch a heat stroke, Op?

c25k is THE shit, man, it's your best bet

How many weeks should i gradually add distance untill I can run half a marathon without a problem? I run 10k in terrain three times a week, and then one longer run, usually about 17k. I've mainly been focusing on my pace, and I run 10k in about 43-45 minutes at best. How much distance should I add per week?

Parkour is moving from point A to point B as efficiently as possible; it's less about actual running than it is full body obstacle course exercise. It IS a shitton of fun, both alone and with friends, and is pretty good cardio. But nothing will ever be better than running for straight cardio gains.

Also, be very careful when doing parkour. Those videos you see of people going to snap city aren't corner cases.

Assuming you don't have bad form, it goes away over time and it's nothing to worry about. If it is your form, fix it.

Maybe try lifting in the morning and running in the evening. I find that lifting makes me more energetic, whereas running makes me feel exhausted by the end of it.

who /hillsprints/ here? I ditched squats and deads at the gym and replaced them with a 1.5 mile jog for warmup and then maximum effort steep hill sprints until roasted... then jog back.

I feel amazing afterwards.

Calorie consumption when running can be calculated quite precisely. It is 1 kcal (rounded) per kgs of bodyweight per kilometers ran. So if you weight 80 kgs, you will be burning 80 kcals for each kilometer you run. If you run on the threadmill, subtract 10% to the total.
Apologies for African English.

I did hill sprints for legs when I was really into calisthenics, and I ended up with very aesthetic legs, much better than they were when I was squatting and diddlying heavy. Then i took the distance pill, and now I am just a skelly that can run for a long time, and I feel happier.

youtube.com/watch?v=AVMkMvaqk6U

If you're struggling with form, this workout helps a lot. I used this routine a lot before I started lifting. My body doesn't hurt as much, and I run through the trails. If you have a gym membership, you can replace some of the exercises in the routine with vertical leg raises, barbell hip thrusts, squats, deadlifts, leg curls, leg extensions, dumbbell side bends, and oblique extensions.

just ran 9 miles for the first time ever boys, two increments of 4.5miles on the treadmile, 71:42. I didn't use incline but I burned 1,172 calories and I feel pretty tired but badass too. Idk I just felt like sharing a moment where I'm kind of proud

whoops, guess the treadmils at my gym are wrong, online calc with weight and shit says 994

That sounds really great, actually sort of inspiring. Might try to work it into my schedule.

Congratz man, but are you sure that you burned that much? I don't burn that much running 12k in terrain

For proper form, should you be leading your steps with your big toe, or like middle of your feet

>tfw shin splints

I used a different calculator, it's prolly closer to 900

You have bad form.

Picture applies to both of you.

Why run when you could just jump rope?

How to maintain motivation from running?

When I was 16, I was skelly and could do 10km runs eazzy

Now I'm 21 and fat and I find running boring as fuk

I mean motivation from lifting is cool cos the feeling of getting stronker keeps you in it but running longer distances doesn't quite give u the same feelings of accomplishment

>you have bad form

No shit. Pretty sure it's from overpronation, but I can't experiment until my shinny-winnies are feeling better. Also sucks I can't really afford a proper running shoe right now and a dog I was sitting for ate my old pair. I'll just bike and swim until then.

Run barefoot

Seems like a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

i should rephrase my question, should i be pushing off each step primarily through my big toe, or equally through all my toes?
ive been struggling with over supinating so its awkward to tell if im running properly

I believe you should push off from the middle of the ball of the foot, rather than the toe or either side. I'm noob at running though.

Agreed. Very good friend of mine was a delta force operator, former seal. 5'-8", and wirey as fuck. Not "big" at all ,but practically zero bodyfat. I asked him about what kind of physical shape is needed to operate at that level, and he shrugged it off, and said it's all mental discipline.

His war buddies used to invite me for drinks and they were all fucking fun and hilarious. Although one night some niggers started shit over a girl, and one threw a bottle ( naturally these 3 dudes ducked it easily) , but these guys kept their cool and left the place with the girl. That said, I never forget the very brief and defined war face that flashed through the smiles during the whole thing, only for a bit. They were fucking ready to kill. Intimidating as fuck. Lord only knows what they've seen and done. Those niggers dodged a bullet that night. If only they knew it.....

I have hip dysplasia so running becomes pretty painful after about 10 minutes. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I've heard that strengthening my leg muscles around my hip will help with this pain, so does that mean I should start squatting so I can start running?

Listen to podcasts while running. That's what I do.

I hate running, but I am trying to cut these last few pounds of stubborn fat.

Lately, I've been doing this:
5 minute walk
5 minute jog
5 minute walk
lift
5 minute walk
10 minute run
5 minute walk
stretch

Should I run more? I really dislike cardio, but I gotta get those aesthetics before fall semester.

>mfw they let niggers live

>Now get off the computer and go do your cardio
No thanks I'll just keep doing LISS on a stationary bike while posting here. I enjoyed running when I was on the track team though.

if any of you have trouble with giving up even though you could physically push through try running to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=F3zIBaaD26o

helped a fuck ton

You sure it isn't poor knee tracking from an overdeveloped lateral quad? Do you do prehab stuff like leg extensions?

youtube.com/watch?v=vzrYgDnewSI

I used to put this on when I was training for the Army. Its a good song regardless.

In pretty good shape (skinny/skinny-otter) and definitely have the leg strength, but run out of breath quickly/get side-stiches/headaches when running, so my "run" is generally a walk with some sprints interspersed.

I'd switch to biking (as that seems like it would remedy my problems), but I'm very afraid of killing myself going down a hill or something - plus I live in a really mountainous area, not great for someone inexperienced in riding.

is C25k a good program for getting a sub 16 2 mile? I'm doing an army of test in ~6 weeks and need to pass. not sure what current time is, but I'm decently lean and have solid lifts (i.e. not fatass) if that means anything

Fell for the Nike meme. How the fuck do I find running shoes that are made of rainbow colors and doesn't have 6 feet of cushion.

My old shoes had the perfect fit where I could feel the ground but still be flexible and comfortable.They don't make these anymore.

Running shoes are a meme unless you have severely fucked up feet. Just get shitty, cheap shoes from Walmart. They will perform the same as brooks

I have bought Brooks before too and made my feet numb. Walmart shoes are probably even more tight fitting and less flexible.

The problem with cheap shoes is they'll have thicker padding making for a worse running experience.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that magnesium deficiency can cause muscle cramping, maybe look into that if you have problems with side stitches? Also using proper breathing techniques while running should help with that.

It's less gay

Can someone explain recovery days to me in regards to running/jogging? I'm still a lard-ass if that matters (245lbs, 6ft3in)

I haven't actually ran in the past month since I replaced it with cycling & mountain biking.

Could I possibly alternate Running/Cycling without needing a rest day? I do 10km when running and ~20miles cycling on mixed incline smooth terrain.

Unlike when I was running, I don't feel like I NEED a rest day after cycling although I'm not sure if that's because I have better physical fitness now.

10% a week. Base that on your long run, so you're not too far off already. The jump from 17k to 20 odd k for half is nothing. In a race your legs will carry you that far even if your mind thinks you're on empty

Hill sprints session at club tonight. Feels good mang

>apologises for bad English
>has better English than 90% of English first language Veeky Forums

What did he mean by this?

Just starting on C25K here
What speed / pace am I supposed to keep in my jogging intervals? Am I supposed to jog or run? For now I am managing to jog at 160-180 steps per minute but I have a very short stride, so it's a pretty slow jog

Mid foot, splay toes to shock absorb, if you heel strike and wear padded shoes, running proper form will hurt to start as your calves are not used to it, preserve and up millage slowly. You're efficiency will go through the roof

Join a local club, sign up for a race, change route or terrain.

8mm drop, good for 10k to marathon racer.

Objectively fake news friendo. A good shoe, advised from a proper running store after looking at your running style can make a big difference.

170-180 cadence is perfect. You should be jogging rather than running, the idea will be a pace you can maintain for 20-30mins comfortably. Aim for a pace you can have short conversations at. If on your own then maybe try singing along to song under your breath or reciting alphabet

youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_We-Y_11E

Different user but can confirm, C25K works if you keep at it. I'm a /fat/ who is changing but finally being able to jog a 5k, even if my speed is dogshit, is both a fantastic feeling and something I can see myself doing for a long time.
But consistency is key for it. If you had a bad jog on one of the days, lets say you couldn't run a full 20 minutes, take another crack at it when you can. Even if you gotta repeat days, so long as you're putting the effort in, you will be repayed.

Failed my run this morning. Ran 2km instead of 4
Oh well it'll be better tomorrow. Better than nothing. I wasn't able to run 1km when I took running a month ago

That's what my old shoes are but the top of the foot is tight in the Nikes and the sole is not as flexible. The Puma has a more narrow fit but feels great when it rolls from the floor.

/run/ newfag, hello.
is walking for 30seconds between runs acceptable?
Eitherway shaved 90 seconds from my 3mile run this morning from two days ago, so looking good. Completed 3miles just over 30 minutes