Texas Method General and its variations

Texas Method General and its variations.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/texas-method
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this doesn't need to be a general imo, and i live in texas

ok. what is the texas method?

Monday Squat 5x5 90% 5RM
Wednesday 2x5 80% 5RM
Friday Squat 5RM
Increase weight each week

t-nation.com/training/texas-method

I am currently transitioning from SS to a more TM style routine. I am finding that 3x5 back squats 3 times a week is too much for recovery. Succeeded in 3x5 @ 300 lbs. but have failed to hit 5 at 305 lbs. twice.
I deloaded 10% and am working my way back up but instead of 3x5 squatting 3 times a week for PRs I am thinking that I should do heavy, light, then heavy.
For example something like the following assuming 300 for 3x5 is PR
Mon:305 3x5
Wed:250 3x5
Fri:310 3x5
This is basically the "advanced novice" stage from what I understand the wednesday squat is there to provicde some volume, but also allow recovery. Does this look like a smart change? My other lifts namely bench/OHP are still progressing fine and deadlift is sporadic at best because I always squat first. Though Im not worried about the deadlift as it seems to go up through squatting (currently 365 5RM)

do 5x5

Even Rippletits' jock sniffers don't recommend the Texas Method anymore

why

Been running TM for the first time for a few weeks now. Definitely one of my favourite routines i've come across. The volume allocation feels very appropriate and i'm seeing good gains despite my diet being somewhat funky atm.

Which version at you running?

Jo hit me up with an aesthetics version of it. Like Greyskull is to SS

OP here running this version. gonna replace back extension shit with rows. Gotta learn how to front squat + power clean though, cant get my fucking elbows up

There's a 4 day version mentioned in Practical Programming. You can also check the Starting Strength wiki Intermediate Programs

There is no front squatting in that version or any version of TM as far as I know.

i've been on texas method for 2 years continuous

front squat to be able to do cleans, ive never front squatted be4

Its not a full clean its just a power clean. No dip or at least very minimal.

yeah im struggling with the top resting position

bump

I would do 5x5 on Monday. The logic behind SS and TM is stress, recovery, adaptation.
In SS every workout you stress the body, then recover while resting then when your body adapts you can do +5lbs
The reason the TM should work after you can't progress on SS anymore is that the TM increases the stress (5x5 on Monday instead of 3x5) and also recovery (the light day on Wednesday) so your body can adapt to heavyer weights.
Do whatever you want though.

What's the general consensus on accessories? I feel like my arms are lagging behind and need some work. Also should I bulk at surplus while in this program? Also what the fuck captcha?