Went to a boxing gym for the first time today

Went to a boxing gym for the first time today.
As soon as i entered, some old guy walked up to me and asked me if i ever boxed before.
I said no. He then immediately told me, that they wouldn't accept applicants that old (i'm 24 btw), unless they already had a background in boxing. He offered me to train the session with them, but that was it.
Now i'm really fucking disappointed, feels really bad. I was all giddy and excited before going there.
I am not looking to go pro or anything, maybe have a couple of amateur matches or something. I just really wanted to box, but this is the only boxing gym anywhere near me...
Should i just train by myself?

Kys

Who gives a shit what some old guy trying to live Rocky irl has to say

what the FUCK
try another fighting style maybe? or find another boxing gym

Maybe there's a less serious gym with some boxing type class?

none near me. other styles, probably...
i just really wanted to box...

I hope this doesn't happen to me. I live in a small city and there's no boxing gym here or anywhere near. I'm working towards moving to a bigger city and I wanted to start boxing but I'm 22 already.

Is the old guy anyone who matters in the gym or just a random cunt who uses it as a place to escape the reality of his disappointing life?

he was the coach and supposedly a veteran boxer and founder of the club. according to their website at least.

Sounds like a prick desu. Shame it's the only boxing club nearby.

He tested you and you failed the test. He questioned the size of your balls indirectly and you didn't stand up for yourself. He now thinks you're a loser. Even if you're past your training prime, he still wanted a killer either way. Find a different gym.

Maybe consider an MMA gym. You still get to box and get to do other cool stuff. BJJ is really fun and great for fitness.

how is that a test?
"we don't take applicants that old"
"well then i WILL BECOME YOUNGER OR SOMETHING"

Should've said something like "I want to become STRONGER, give me this chance! I swear, I can impress you if you just give me a shot!

Not them, but make an argument for yourself and how much you want to train. I was literally offered a 50% discount because I emphasized how pumped I was to train at a school & that I wish I could afford a bigger membership. They offered it to me if I showed up & gave my all. I came through, they came through, and it's been great.

See you are missing the point. You should've told him
"I want to box goddammit idgaf how old I am I'll give it my all" you sound low test and your reaction to his statement fucked yourself.

this is not a sports anime dude.
frankly, the old guy has a point.
if the gym is interested in pumping out competitive fighters, why would they take someone that ancient?
he would have to be a one in a million talent to ever become competitive.
the gym is not interested move on OP.

Oh shit I had no idea we were living in a fucking anime where believing in yourself and the power of friendship can overcome anything.

Just do muay thai

this.
or kickboxing.
why limit yourself?

You sound like a fucking faggot and I'm glad he turned you away. We're not talking about naruto believe in yourself type bullshit. We're talking BALLS you moron. I tried to help you but you're too dense to see where I'm coming from.

Mate, they're autists who don't know how to express their own point, which is the old guy was testing you to see if you had either the intellect/wisdom or will to tell him "Yes I can do the work you old fuck, now show me the ropes" in an accent or with colloquialisms of your choice.
Or, far more likely imo is that he genuinely thought you were too old for their gym.
You failed and look like a pussy regardless.

oh right, it's not naruto, it's hajime no ippo.
silly mistake.

not OP mate

Go to another. My friend who is a semi-pro boxer keeps nagging me to pick up boxing and I'm 25, he doesnt think it's too late and I would be accepted in a boxing gym.

Salty. I understand, some guy said I couldn't handle an advanced weightlifting class in college so I just rage-dropped it. My lifting buddies later informed me that it was a test and I shoulda stuck around. Damn me not believing myself...

Stfu with your "it was a test" shit you retard, the guy wants to train people that might make him money and figures no one becomes pro by starting at 24. It wasnt a fucking test, it was just that.

A lot of boxing gyms don't want anyone they don't think will be a competitor.

Go to an MMA gym or something similar. They will take anyone regardless of whether you want to compete seriously or not.

You have to be at least 18 to post on this website

>24
>too old

Who the fuck is this old git spouting bullshit memes

>paying someone to kick your ass
everyone who gets BTFO for their first sparring always fall out

It's this. OP didn't want it bad enough to state his case. What a coward

Do you give up this easily trying to get the things you want?

it's true though.
very few boxers become competitive if they don't start early (14-18 at least).
you'd need to be insanely talented to make it that late.

Holy fuck this is ironic. Spouting the "it was a test" meme is some teenager larping as a man tier shit. Lay off the projection.

This is pretty standard, you're a waste of their time. I trained with one of my old bosses once, he was 32 at the time and a 2x golden gloves champ. The head coach had moved on and put his stock in the younger guys.

to all the retards saying "it was a test":
you have never been at a serious boxing gym.
they usually don't train any random vagrant showing up.
my guess is, the session OP got to do was to assess if he was talented enough to make it late into the game, which you can't really fault him for not being.
you can still box, OP, just don't expect to become really good, sorry to say.
many regular gyms offer at least some kind of fitness boxing class. you already said you're not interested in going pro, so that might be something for you.

Fuck boxing dude many of these trainers aren't interested in your average joe. They want the young kids who have to potential to go pro since it's good for business. Just join an Muay Thai gym. You'll still learn how to strike effectively and you can even compete in the future. Also they're welcoming to just about anyone unless you're a prick.

Didn't Rocky Marciano start when he was 24 or something? He became a legend through insane levels of hard work and dedication. To the point where he basically lived like a monk cut off from society. Talent is 20% but grit, determination, and hard work is 80%. Having "heart" is not bullshit to make you feel better, it's actually something that can make you win fights.

>boxing

He's probably severely brain damaged. Don't follow his path.

if that were true, the amount of really successful pros who started late would be more than just a handful.
grit, determination and all that is really really important but so is STARTING YOUNG.
then you can make up for a lack of talent, no problem.

>24
>ancient
25 really is when life goes down hill isn't it...

kys op

"I wont take no for an answer old man, give me just this chance to prove I have what it takes!"

cue credits

wow i never expected them to not want money. What do you do if you want to learn a martial art but also not go pro

There's only one solution

>Learn BJJ

>challenge him to a fight

>take him down

>put your dick in his ass, just the tip to assert dominance, and show him you can if you wanted to

>profit

Boxing is corrupt as fuck anyway. Pick up another martial art op, most people don't know how to fight so learning any martial art will put you ahead of most people if you just want to learn self defense. Also, has this guy even trained anyone good? I could understand walking into Roach/Mayweather/Garcia gym and them telling you to fuck off, but if this guy is a literal who then its his loss.

Western boxing clubs by and large are run by old world morons. Seriously, they're mostly just old crooks and thugs who are hanging on to the last shreds of their utility in the world.

Like other cunts here have suggested, find an MMA or MT gym. You'll find it more rewarding too.

When I went first time they basically said you turn up and practice on your own for a few weeks, might throw you a few pointers, then if you stick at it consistently and come to work hard they help, a lot of people turn up a few times then fuck off

"Well let me change your mind"

"sorry, you're a bit too old for my boxing gym" vs "you're too small and weak to take this college class"
the difference here is u need to start lifting

Punch him user, that will make him respect you.

Gonna type a story just to not make you feel so bad. I dont know if you follow IRL boxing, but Cam F. Awesome on one of his podcasts said that they denied him at a gym when he moved to a new state. He was in his 20s and an actual decent amateur boxer. It was some stupid rule where only people who grow up in the gym area are allowed to stay past a certain age and they didnt accept new boxers past a certain age. I bet you it was one of those, and he added the "you don't box" clause just to kinda set it in stone so you couldnt argue.

So Cam ended up driving tp the next town like an hour or two (forgot how long) over to continue his amateur career and training and he actually won nationals after that. So dont be too sad that they called you a n00b, it probably wouldve even happened to someone with experience too.