Russo-American relations

Why didn't the end of the Cold War also end US-Russian animosity? The USA and Russia share no borders, have no conflicting territorial claims, are not competitors for trade and trade routes, and there is no historical animosity between the American and Russian peoples. Take communist ideology out of the equation, and why should Russia and America still be opposed to each other?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dpZbgw-pIPo
youtu.be/W6LIhNgsQoc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

are you a child? it did, and then the russians started blaming us for their problems, then putin came to power, and that was the end

The Cold War didnt really change the fact that the US and Russia are the two most dominant powers in the world.
Possibly only changing because China is coming into the equation now.

Americans get really pissed when some nation don't have freetrade, multinational corporations and a "democracy"

Russian blame american for economic sanction and for funding rebels in their territory... really makes you think

They seemed happy to support the Republic of China and Republic of Korea even when they were a single party-led fascist dictatorships, just to help contain the USSR, Red China and North Korea

Both Republic of China and Korea are open to american corporations, Libya and Syria in the other hand weren't

what? you need to go back and consult your english teacher, sirgay

Russia is a revionist power. It seems to regain what it previously lost and to stop any further decline of its power. America is the current dominate power. It is almost necisary that any increase in Russian power will cause a decrease in American power.

Also, America has a couple of rules of what it will recognize from other nations and anexations are not recognized as American Goverment sees only negatives of allowing other nations to become more powerful. And annexation is a fundementally destabilizing action.

Also, Russia's small economy and large military leads to a couple of outcomes. The first is Russia cannot use its economy as a economic tool in the same way the West or China can. Secondly, this means its needs to use its military to secure influence as in Georgia or Ukraine.

Basically, Russia is weak in the traditional sense and feels very threatened because of this and wants to reverse this outcome. America like any other power country seeks to minimize and weakenany possible challengers so it must oppose the Russians.

Also, the small economy of Russia means it doesn't have the same links to the US economy that China does.

The people who ran Soviet Russia are still in charge of the Russian Federation. The game may have changed, but not the players.

Until Russia drops its aggressive ass antagonism there can only be peace by mutual dislike.

They are so aggressive, they invade and occupy countries in other continent, support rebel in every single continent and have military bases and fleets around the world

Like being good at a pig language shows you're right

If Russia was smart they'd have joined the EU and/or NATO and ally with them against China, instead of fucking around trying to make a buffer zone between them and the EU and then screwing with domestic US politics for no good reason.

How being ruled by Brushes is smarter than taking land?

Who is aggressive? The U.S? Their military bases are set up on request of other countries and the U.S is willing to fuck off when requested (France is a big example.)

Russia on the other hand had to be kicked the fuck out.

Russia wants to be top dog. USA is top dog. Dogs gotta eat. Also generations of propaganda fucked both of us up

Despite France having and army made of mercenaries and criminals and being the most warmonger and aggressive nation on earth, america is a close second, americans are involved in every war, rebellion and coup in the last 70 years.

>Why didn't the end of the Cold War also end US-Russian animosity?

the US still needs a boogeyman and the radical jihadis have fallen out of vogue thanks to identity politics being all the rage recently

being able to communicate a thought helps me understand what you're even trying to insinuate

Participation in Brussels by a major power like Russia could have provided a powerful counterweight against the Franco-German axis such as the British were themselves doing

It would have been smarter for the average Russian, working with and trading with rich allies is a recipe for prosperity. As much as people like to downplay it. Russian is in a shit economic position. I know people will reply to this and say that culture is more important than economy, but I would ask anyone here if they would move to Russia over US, France, Germany, or UK.

Chechnya fucking hates Russia they’ll fight them with rocks if they have to don’t blame the US because Russia can’t control its territories

russia is nowhere near a dominant world power friend, they're barely a regional power, don't embarrass my country (I know you're an American)

>don't embarrass my country
You're doing that right now traitor.

No.

indeed, Russia being just another EU puppet and EU collapsing would be great

you're right except that my country doesn't seek to weaken others or keep them "weak," that's a lot of crap

The EU is powerless organization. If fucking Hungary can oppose its will then it cannot be the boogieman that people make it out to be.

Almost everyone that had met a Russian hate Russians

Is this really what you’re taught in Russia, Ivan? No wonder your country is so shitty and corrupt, they can’t even teach you proper history without blaming other people for being such a shit country. Get out while you still can

you're a nutcase

I love Russians! I've never met one I didn't like. Their women are great too. Not even just for romance but just to know. Real treasures

Russia still likes to pretend it's a world power and is bitter about being full of AIDS ridden fetal alcohol goblins

I love how people think the eu is Reich 4.0 and is going to crash even though Germany just posted like 40 billion extra euros

It's just the opposite, Russians are great people with a shit government, it's fun, usually countries with great government have shit people (like europe) and countries with great people have a shit government (like Brazil and Russia)

Russia not being a world power works to their advantage, it means they can focus on dicking with Western Europe instead of having to support an entire communist bloc.

Because the west needs a scapegoat for their problems.

>act like a cunt and threaten and occupy your neighbours
>wonder why they join an alliance to contain you

Why does Ivan get so mad at NATO ?

russia will do whatever it wants as long as america stays hypocritical

I'm OK with Russian people, common folks are not the same as government, they seem fine to assimilate into my nation, loyal and hate faggots.

They speaks and acts just like us(even the accents), I don't mind their appearances and skin colors.
youtu.be/dpZbgw-pIPo

*speak and act

Yes we do kek. The most powerfull country always does

Because the genuine process of dissidence and for democratic reform in the Soviet Union was hijacked by a cynical power-grab on behalf of the KGB, party appartchiks and other intelligentsia.

Rather than establishing proper rule of law and property rights (something Russia NEVER had) as a prerequisite for capitalism and economic reform, Russia engaged in quick reform and privatization before the institutions necessary to put a check on corruption (an independent judiciary, free press, etc.) were in place.

For instance, nobody even knows where the Soviet Central Bank Reserves went! They dissappeared through a network of offshores in Jersey. (FIMACO scandal)

This was the outcome Yeltsin and his cronies desired, for it allowed important CPSU and KGB intelligentsia to loot the entire Soviet Union and become the new "oligarchs", taking over or stripping down entire state enterprises. All the while, the rest of the world was too happy to applaud this process because everyone was just so glad that the permanent threat of nuclear annihilation that existed between 1945 and 1991 had eased.

From 1998 onwards with the appointment of Primakov as PM, Russia's foreign policy begun to shift again to hostility against the West because the corrupt, authoritarian Yeltsin government needed to divert the peoples' attention away from the disaster of the crisis.

In 1999 an ideal candidate to do this was found - Putin, who was handpicked by Yeltsin to be his PM. As much as he portrays himself as a redeemer of Russia and enemy of Yeltsin, the reality is that Putin gave Yeltsin and his whole clan immunity from prosecution as his first action in government.

Using intimidation of the opposition, voter fraud, almost entirely state-controlled media, Putin managed to harness the resentment and confusion of the Russian people reeling from the crisis into a resurgent wave of anti-Western nationalism, directing anger and blame away from his siloviki and the rest of the corrupt clique.

>ruskies and hues are good people
How deluded are you?

To this, should be added the geopolitical reasons.

Due to the configuration of Russian territory, there is a great lack of natural barriers protecting the core of Russia. This has historically encouraged Russian rulers to expand their holdings, reaching up to the Pacific Ocean, Southeast into the Tien-Shen Mountains in China, south into the Caucasus, and West into the Carpathian Mountains in order to create more defensible borders. This still leaves a large gap, the Northern European Plain which is at its narrowest in Poland, through this gap Russia has been invaded in the past by Napoleon, Wilhelm II, and Hitler, which is why Russia has always, historically, sought to control Poland.

This traditional, realpolitik conception of the world, clashes against modern Western concepts like the right of self-determination. An authoritarian Russia that sees the West as an enemy rather than a trading partner will always seek to expand its borders Westward to make them more defensible.

Fuck this board has fallen low. Feels like im in a youtube comment section.

This short video explains the geographic aspect very well:
youtu.be/W6LIhNgsQoc

They tried many times and were repeatedly turned down by the US.

Best post in this thread

25 year rule fag

>wahhhhhh
>WAHHHHHHHHH

So relations are bad because the US has import bans on foreign cars? Sounds legit.

Stalin was right, the bourgeois elements within the party needed to be removed, it went downhill from Kruschevites onwards destroying the foundations of the economy with terrible reforms. Andropov was the only hope.

Because we here in America are driven by the cancer that is neoconservative foreign policy.

Fuck you unfunny piece of shit

>furry
sage and hide

based argie roseposter again with two great posts.

good stuff. you are keeping this board alive dude.

No. You new people don't know anything.

Russian women are TO DIE for. The men are the niggers of the white race tho.

Statfor is based.

>USSR collapse in 1991
Faggot

I thought that was the Irish

Evangelicals really need to be cleansed from this country.

Them too. Also Czech and Austrian women.