Following on from the 'US vs The World' thread...

Following on from the 'US vs The World' thread. Could the mid 19th century Royal Navy beat the combined navies of the rest of the world?

Yes.

But the second troops put their foot on the ground they'd get absolutely btfo.

Why did the empire never maintain a massive standing army? It's not like they didn't have the manpower or resources. What gives?

Having such a huge and advanced navy was really fucking expensive. There was just no way to maintain both a large navy and a large army. No nation has ever done it successfully. It's either one or the other.

What the fuck, easily.
The royal navy wasn't just larger than the others combined, they had much better technology and their cannons literally outranged everyone else. How is this even a question when you can destroy the enemy without them getting in range
It was 2% of empire GDP at peak

>2%
What the fuck do you spend the other 98% on?

Tea and dental surgery.

The US has a large navy and army though.

Why Anglo love tea?

Taste nice

Bump

Want some more opinions on this

Britain was too good at diplomacy to fall into this scenario. But yes.

How could they theoretically get everyone to declare war on them?

Parliament and the British public was suspicious of large, standing armies since the civil war. It's why when Charles II became king, there was a dramatic reduction in the size of the army and many of the regiments that remained were listed as 'guards and garrisons' to avoid pissing off parliament. Plus the government developed the habit of taking huge 'peace dividends' at the end of each war, essentially reducing the size of the standing army following every conflict.

In addition, focus was always split between the 'blue-water school' and the 'continental school'. The blue-water school often won because maintaining a large standing army was a bad idea politically and mostly unnecessary given Britain shared no land border with a continental power

Copy everything Germany did in WW1 and mix it with everything Germany did in WW2.

So annex old Angevin territoroes and then commit a genocide of the French

Not too spicy for whites to handle.

Infrastructure, salaries, bureocracy, running the government, public buildings...

No. They were even then retreating behind alliances because their meme navy was being found out.

Only need a navy.
Instead they had a small elite army to deal with uprisings in the colonies whilst their massive fuck off fleet meant that no great power could touch them on their island. Even so by the outbreak of WWI the bongs spent more on their army than the Austro-Hungarians who's land forces were 10X larger.

Maybe
Navel battles aren’t all about size
Just look at the battle of the saints
The Dutch navy was of much higher quality than that of the British navy as wel
When will you fuck off back to /int/ you subhuman paddy

Small little elite force for colonial shit
Giant navy for stopping anyone from touching there colonies

Said elite force example of there effectiveness was during the early years of ww1 in which small regiments utterly fucked up german assaults

Yoo mad, toothless?

Better to be toothless than a spineless socalist subhuman

I think that's in reference to land battles.
Royal Navy technology was unsurpassed in 19th century and the size plus the economy backing it, eclipsed all the nations by 1850

Yoo still seething, goblin?

>I think that's in reference to land battles.
No, they were in alliance re naval affairs by 1850. They didn't even believe the meme you're promulgating today.

The US has alliances today but could easily BTFO all the navies of the world.
Difference is that US guns don't significantly outrange everyone else's

Perhaps the US could dent the world's navies today, but the meme navy of 1850 couldn't, and they knew it.

Ok, I've heard people call the royal navy a meme navy in WW2 and I've accepted those flaws.
But in 1850? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? YOU'VE FUCKING BATED ME NOW PAL.
the royal navy in 1850 was larger than all the world's navies combined. The technology was like alien tech to other countries and the industrial capacity backing it was like 90% of the world's steel production. The GDP of tge empire was larger than the next 5 nations combined.
1850 'meme navy' has me rustled

>replying to downies

That doesn't sound too bad desu
Frog genocide when?

For all the shit I say against Frogs, In the end it is all banter. They are literally the only worthy rival as they are the only country which has accomplishments of the same caliber. They also have important cultural ties through shared medieval history as many of our nobles were of French descent.
In the end, If I were not English, I should wish to be French.
So I think genocide is a bit harsh

rustle away, user, the meme navy was forming alliances long before 1850, meaning they knew they were pushing a meme, same as you are today

THIS RETARDATION IS TOO MUCH FOR ME

care to elaborate?

Basically, Britain had a small, but well trained army to deal with any colonial rebellions as a simple show of disciplined force was usually enough to quell a rebellion.
However they needed a massive navy to protect shipping routes and to threaten other colonial powers

Curiously enough though, the east India company had a massive army, comparable to that of the other European great powers

You might as well ask why fish love water, or why the French love muslim bulls.

>a fucking company

There army was a fucking mess though
It’s akin to hiring Italian and Russian mercenaries
The BEF was made up extremely well drilled and seasoned soldiers
The command structure was also all of the same mind in terms of doctrine thus there was very good cohesion
I am too lazy to go into it now but there are a lot of good books on the subject

More like drafting Indians.
When you rule a country of 400 million, it's not like you have a shortage of soldiers

>shits on your army

An army of poos could've conquered Russia

Bump