ITT: Unexpected historical JUST moments

The fucking madman, he actually did it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1877–78)
youtube.com/watch?v=6RTJ4vHoYUs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

did russia actually even fight or did they just pillage all their own land?

Commander : Napoleon I
Not unexpected

The Six Days Campaign were some of Napoleon's best moments. He actually had a chance to retain his throne, but thought he could get better terms with his army.

Sometimes you gotta know when to quit while you're ahead.

VIVE L'EMPEREUR

Your country is evil if it's listed on left.

t. formless fifth column wing nut conspiracy tard

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1877–78)

Hello third world Russkie

wasn't a fuckup on Napoleon's part, the (((city administration of Paris))) essentially opened the gates and began negotiating terms with the Coalition
every French man that died in the Six Days and the two or three battles a week afterward (ultimately he won 8 or 9 battles in about 10 days) died in vain because pussy civilians gave up a fight Napoleon unironically could have won
non-military non-autocratic rule was a mistake

>a fight Napoleon unironically could have won
Even if he'd won the war in the north he would have then had to defeat Wellington in the south. And we all know how that would have ended.

Japan is sending some nintendos, the bantu and zulu tribes are also coming.
We're ready to roll,son!

>napoleon commands poles to travel to spain and fight rebels
>they only leave a small garrison behind
>austrians see this and attack to grab some easy clay
>but they lose and proceed to return the clay they took from partitions of poland
if polacks werent lead by such retards they probably would still dominate eastern europe because their warriors are good

>defeat Wellington
If it's just Welly then...

During the An Lushan Rebellion in the Tang Dynasty, the rebels were pretty close to final victory until a provincial general- Zhang Xun- ably led his extremely outnumbered army against them to block the rebel path to the Capital.

And even when the An Lushan rebels sent a larger army the next year to defeat Zhang Xun's blocking forces, Zhang Xun went down so fucking hard to the point that his gruesome defense of Suiyang was a Tang strategic victory.

Stankonia is dropping bombs over Baghdad...

by all metrics should have been a rout of Tokugawa forces but instead ended up being the most important battle in Japanese history and the formation point of the 250-year Tokugawa shogunate

>20,000-30,000 civilians were eaten
what

paddy btfo

>20,000-30,000 civilians get eaten

>died 4.5 months later
how

Why did they shoot at protestors? Seems pretty dumb

>internationally backed effort to restore sovereignty of a country that had been invading by a totalitarian state lead by a homicidal maniac with a mustache and chemical weapons 40 years after letting the last two homicidal maniacs with mustaches and chemical weapons run rampant across Europe instead of putting the boot on them immediately led to the deaths of millions of innocent people
>evil

The Gulf War was objectively the most morally justified military intervention in history. There is probably a Kuwaiti Anne Frank who is alive and pregnant today because we crushed Saddam's Waffen-SS wannabes in five days instead of five years.

What does JUST mean?
Justified?

There were no major battles or skirmishes in the Iberian front.

just fuck my shit up, its from /tv/ (brendar fraser related and the gino digiantonnio haircut)

user stop whitewashing, /tv/ got it from le based negro twitter haircut memes originally

Thanks user.

Now post Somosierra and the wacky theories surrounding Napoleon's orders, or lack thereof.

My favorite battle for sure, but nobody ever talks about it. Improvised amphibious tactics in unstudied geography, secret Venetian agents making European-grade cannons for the Zamorin, spies everywhere, floating wooden battle castles, betrayal everywhere, it's fucking great.

168 vs 100,000

Because they're pieces of shit.

they probably had at least several ten thousand auxilaries. It's still impressive, don't get me wrong.

>be king of PLC
>try to pass some reforms
>majority of nobles and popular hero of recent huge war oppose them, you can't do shit
>try to get the war hero stripped of titles and executed on sketchy charges
>huge rebellion erupts
>war hero-turned-rebel avoids fighting and just rides around the country with his rebels like it's a political campaign
>spend a year chasing him while assembling forces, top commanders, winged hussars, elite veterans of the recent war
>finally force a confrontation: twenty thousand of your elite forces versus fifteen thousand of his rebels, mostly rowdy noble volunteers
>get absolutely slaughtered
>rebel proposes that if you pardon him and abandon your reforms he will apologize and leave the country
>you agree

Incidentally that was Jan Sobieski's (of Siege of Vienna fame) debut as Field Hetman of the Crown; he received the title after it was stripped from the rebel leader (who was formerly his boss).

Poor Sobieski nearly died there, leading the forces who got slaughtered.

My favourite story about the Gulf War is that April Glaspie, Bush's ambassador to Iraq, told Hussein directly "We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."
Hussein took that as assent to invade Kuwait.

>Axis casualties: 164,000
>Allied casualties: 2,260,000
There isn't a more JUST moment in modern European history. Six weeks was all it took to erase centuries of French military accomplishments in the modern conscience

>Yin Ziqi had besieged the city for a long time. The food in the city had run out. The dwellers traded their children to eat and cooked bodies of the dead. Fears were spread and worse situations were expected. At this time, Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh. Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.
>People always remained loyal

>implying Saddam's invasion was ever that serious of a threat
He only went in to wipe away all the debt he owed Kuwait. I seriously doubt that he had any megalomaniacal plans to conquer the rest of the ME

>expecting any kind of conventional military accomplishment from Arabs
It's like beating up an autistic child

How different would things be if the French forces stationed in the Maginot Line had disobeyed the Armistice and continued to fight on with the same blind fanatism that the Japanese displayed in the island-hopping campaign? I'm assuming that the line would eventually fall to the Germans after prolonged fighting and appalling losses, but would how would this affect their plans for Eastern Europe and North Africa and the post-war assessment of France?

Mind you, the Germans still won, but they should not have taken this many losses against an isolationist poorly-armed country that lost its capital and high command in the first hours of the war.

Nothing personnel, kid.

Not much they could do. Most French forces were withdrawn after the German breakthroughs, and the remaining troops were simply surrounded and dealt with fortress by fortress. There isn't much use in a defensive line when the enemy is already behind it

One of the most autistic battles of WW2, which is really saying something

>"We're going to end this war here today; there's no way he can win against such disparity in numbers."

El Goblino, 2nd from right.

Agree with you, it's fucking amazing that that tiny Portugues garrison managed to hold out for an entire year

the dude on the right looks just like that meme image of the average polish man what the fuck

The HRE was such a meme by the end of its run. Thank God that Napoleon put it out of its misery and let some actually competent German states form

Why

>lets just shoot at my supposed ally to remind him to fight WITH me!
>what could possibly go wrong by firing cannons at someone deciding wether to fight with or against me?

>be Rommel
>

What the fuck was he doing

Italians.
Not even once

He feared the French warrior

French Maginot line troops actually did disobey orders to surrender, the armistice happened on the 22nd and they didn't surrender for over a week

>winning a ground war in russia
good luck

*corsican warrior

Paulinus vs Boudicca

t. Bono

Worked tho.

Chad Tokugawa VS. Virgin Kobayakawa.

his best

youtube.com/watch?v=6RTJ4vHoYUs

Koenig seems like an Alsatian name, or did you mean something else ?

Weren't the Norwegian sailors taking on German Destroyers in merchant ships and winning? Pretty fucking crazy

ships lying still, not a threat, let's shoot 'em up, perfidious albion strikes again

>they should not have taken this many losses
The krauts won the campaign, and destroyed the bongs and frogs accordingly.

fucking how

And they lost a third of the Kriegsmarine's surface combatants. Against NORWAY.

This man's mustache alone.
also Ouzo.

You rang?

Unironically one of the greatest Poles in history and his stereotypical looks only help.

Dumb (Sienkiewicz-inspired) Polish popular history tends skim over the fact he pretty much saved the country and instead prefers to call him a traitor because he didn't let a really shitty king execute him for no good reason. They also blame him for eroding the authority of PLC monarchs because he proceeded to BTFO said king when the king attacked him militarily.

Oh and they call him cruel because his outraged troops slaughtered a royal unit trying to sneak up on them during negotiations with the king.

It was mostly (((Talleyrand)))'s doing though

These guys were a pair of shameless self-promoters from the start. They took credit for other people's accomplishments, promptly ran the German war effort into the ground.

Once they'd done that, they washed their hands and left, failing the peace negotiations, their Emperor, their government, and their army.

>wah wah wah

I hate Israel but I love the eternal BTFO'ing they serve to Arabfags regularly. People wonder why they're so hesitant to give up territory - it's because you don't just walk away from a large, hopeless war like that without feeling like you've more than earned your right to that land.

This or the 48 war for sure

This is the side of the Vasa dynasty that people don't really talk about.

>Not attacking a clear enemy while they can't attack you.

Vichy France deserved it.

>expect the Germans to have a competent navy

How the fuck is it the Italian's fault? Have you done a modicum of research to back up your assertions?

>Italians and Germans do exactly what they planned to do
>no massive fuck-ups by the Axis
>French just fight well
but DUDE ITALIANS LMAO XD!

Now how the fuck did this happen?

The Dithmarschen peasants weren't your ordinary serfs with pitchforks. They troops fighting were more along the lines of non-noble land owning militia, and more importantly they had a well organized society. This meant they where motivated, militarily organized and relatively well equipped.

mandatory

Fucking China, man.

This board is fucking retarded 99% of the time.
This is one example of it.
The only reason the gulf war happened was western interest in oil and the general location.
Saddam was vital to the stability of the middle east. His way of leading the nation is the only way it works in those parts of the world.
Anything too friendly, calm and empathic will lead to people thinking your weak and evovle into more problems.

Sandpeople need a dictator, it doesnt work otherwise.