Havent seen one of these for a while

havent seen one of these for a while

what do you read? what books do you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io/ads.php?md5=E8D6F06C6780EC4DC4E3A0B567F08E4B
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For Whom the Bell Tolls or The Old Man and the Sea

Hemingway's work is in many ways the personification of masculinity

The forever war.

I just started reading No More Mr. Nice guy today: I'm a little over 50 pages in. Really good. Helpful already.

There is nothing wrong with you, or your flaws. You can never escape your flaws and dark nature as a human being, you also cannot escape your light nature. Having both is what makes us human.

Start learning to accept yourself and stop reading these shitty books.

Stop giving your money to people who are making you act unnatural and phony. They are capitalizing on your desperation.

Let life be your teacher.

sounds interesting
tell me about it user

this is what no more mr nice guy is about though

did you even bother to page it through?

The Martian
Jurassic Park
The Selfish Gene

7 Habits of Highly Effective Adults and How to Win Friends and Influence People are kind what you're talking about, in the sense of lots of BS stories made up through the book. But at least How to Win Friends and Influence People sort of works in that you take it til you make it, then you just sort of become what you set out to in the first place.

Good points though.

Soldiers go out into space to fight an enemy no one really knows about light years away. The only problem is ever time his ship jumps, decades pass by on Earth. Society drastically changes over the years, making time the one true enemy. Its a fucking awesome book and extremely /k/.
Also lots of Powerarmor battles

I would recommend a book I'm currently reading that's titled
>How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week by Dominic O'Brien.

Gets you few (52, according to the title) tools to help build up both your long/short-term memory. It's rather fun and becomes increasingly challenging.

would you recommend HWFIP?

I remember reading this. It's PUA trash.

An user recommended the rational male to me last week. Reading it now and loving it. Would recommend to anyone who wants a good read

Currently getting through this.

Writer doesn't take himself too seriously but has a nice way of walking through the rhetoric of the ages and how famous figures weaved their words.

red rising is fucking awesome for sci-fi

I hope it's been in-form-a-tiv.

christ, that read like a salespitch

i walk 50 minutes whenever i go and come back from my gym

any audiobooks you guys recommend?

flowers for algernon

Yeah, in conjunction with reading a book like No More Mr Nice Guy before or after, to contrast the perspectives.

The Gulag Archipelago

Crime and Punishment

The Witcher series

Lolita

Blood Meridian (highly recommend)

Rape of Nanking

No matter what you read, it's far more nourishing than one of the easiest games in the history of gaming franchises. Seriously, each area following the "chosen hunter" and his excessively buffed weapons from assorted game locations as he fights brainless enemies has been less engaging than the last. Aside from the handholding, the game's only consistency is providing you with absolutely retarded, unchallenging mobs and allowing you to run through all of them without any combative motivation thoughout the entire game. All to make the difficult feel easy, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when From Software voted to make the game a PS4 exclusive; they made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody. just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for the souls series. Blood(bore) might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Final Fantasy 7 in its refusal of challenge, skill and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
>a-at least the Dark Souls games were good though
"No!"
The enemies were easy; but the bosses were unfairly hard. As I played, I noticed that every time a enemy went for an attack, he spent an unrealistic amount of time telegraphing an attack.
I began marking on the back of an envelope every second the enemy stretched his arm back. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope a several dozen times. I was incredulous. Miyazaki's mind is so governed by outdated game design philosophies that he has no other style of challenge. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Bloodbore by the same Kevin-V from Gamespot. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing Bloodbore at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play Fallout New Vegas." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Bloodbore" you are, in fact, trained to play Fallout New Vegas.

his books are practically unreadable, worse than rand and joyce.

His shit is required reading in high school you pleb

>required reading in high school
>calls someone else a pleb

but there's nothing in the entire book about picking up women. In fact it's basically a history book

If high schoolers can read and understand it, it's obviously not unreadable. Also Joyce's prose is beautiful.

the art that Hemingway inspired > Hemingway

Hemingway has never been accused of being deep or obtuse. He's unreadable because he's too simple and bland. There's a little more depth the A Farewell to Arms, but the book is ultimately pointless. The Old Man in the Sea is a short story that is way too long. The Christomorphism is single-note and vapid.

Hemingway was not a great thinker, he was merely a popular author, meaning he wrote for the masses to be entertained. In his day, you could listen to the radio or read a book, not much else to do. If Hemingway were alive today, he would be a screenwriter for Michael Bay or Sam Rami.

psyco cybernetics
The slight edge
Willpower instinct
The success principles
As a man thinketh
Extreme ownership

All you need - I've read nearly 50 self help books and these are the best

collected stories of Conan the Barbarian

Charles Manson used the techniques to build his little cult. Which is a real stamp of approval in my book.

>all these shitty modern self-help books
christ

>Kant
That's when the lights turn off in most people's brains.

His prose has its own stark beauty. It isn't descriptive in the way something like Wallace's is, but it has been distilled to transfer the meaning of what Hemingway is trying to say. Even if Hemingway was popular at the time, that does not stop him from being a great author. There were many people who could have been the "Michael Bay screenwriter" of their day, and we do not remember them. It is unreasonable to assign that label to Hemingway. "Popular authors" that write trash like Stephanie Meyer are almost never remembered unless their work has some inherent value.

Mirin

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a must read

Specially if you want to hate the Jews and communism

This WILL change your life

if self help is your goal then it won't come from a book, really it can be condensed into an online article.

inner strength comes from living is sub par or shit tier conditions, going to lots of social events, have a outdoors manual labor job, being responsible, sports, being in charge of someone else, having a girlfriend and keeping her, and finally ... working hard to escape the shithole you live in by making lots of money.

that's how i did it. i have nothing in common with who i was in 2012.

Nice, I've slowly been reading The Complete Chronicles of Conan. Finished The Black Stranger a week ago, The Frost Giant's Daughter is next. Beyond the Black River and The Tower of the Elephant have stuck in my mind the most. Also liked the one with the pool that turned people into figurines and the one where he was lost in what I think was an underground maze with monsters in it after escaping from a giant snake, but I don't remember them well.

Stopped for now since a coworker talked me into reading the The Dark Tower series.

Hemingway is overrated. Steinbeck is better if you like dated American authors.

This was decent sci-fi. They're apparently making a movie out of this.

I wouldn't say this is a GREAT book, but it was definitely interesting. The buffet of historical references used to demonstrate the laws was enjoyable. Wouldn't advise being a Machiavellian cunt, but sometimes it may work.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People is actually a pretty solid approach to reevaluating your shit.

This book is sadder than Farewell to Arms. Fucking Jesus. Good read though.

Crime and Punishment is good if you can plow through Dostoevsky's prose, Lolita was excellent degeneracy, BLOOD MERIDIAN IS GOD-TIER. The Judge will always be burnt into my brain.

HEH

I read mostly fiction. Random grabs of shit people suggest. Once I find authors I like I read their bests.

Blood Meridian, Catch-22, A Confederacy of Dunces, Dune, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, 100 Years of Solitude, Ham on Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Journey to the End of the Night, Lolita, The Silmarillion, Neuromancer, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Walden, Watership Down, Tropic of Cancer, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Stranger in a Strange Land - no order...list goes on OP. If you got a niche I probably got something for it.

more like, in every way

let me teach you how to fish my sweet summer child. follow conservatives on twitter like Stefan Molyneux. they usually do a must read list each year.

Moly meme is not a conservative but I can understand how an alt-lite cuck like you would think that

only problem is that is all they are
hemingway tryna show off how manly he is/was

Also, Tarzan and John Carter books by Edgar Rice Burroughs

This book is okay but its just a bunch of shit he stole from other people.

lmao what

Any actually interesting books that have been recommended instead of tryhard transformative shit?

I'm reading Education of a bodybuilder right now but didn't realise how fucking short it was.

ikr

Steppenwolf

is there an ebook of this shit?

Great Again, the book has amazing prose and is amazing to read.

I read Harry Potter fanfictions, where Harry is either a sub fuccboi and gets all of the dick, or he's a pussy slayer fucking classmates, classmate's mothers, little sisters, etc.

One of my top 10 sci-fi's, surprised to see this here. Good job user.

Good book, now trying to practice meditation more often but its something that easily is forgotten when I have a busy day

Dropped after like a third. Author spends too much time fucking army sloots and apologizing for the ayylmaos

>Losers try and become sociopaths: the book

>Hemingway
>masculinity

Yes, if masculinity is defined by an insecure alcoholic who dies broke and alone. He's a great writer, but certainly a high schooler's idea of a strong man.

Books I recommend:

>The Brothers Karamazov -Dostoevsky
>Demons -Dostoevsky
>One Hundred Years of Solitude
>Psycho Cybernetics
>Think And Grow Rich
>4 Hour Work Week
>Dying Earth saga by Jack Vance
>Dune

Have you read neuromancer

>The Witcher series
Great, but, I didn't like what happened around the end of the last book. Felt like a bit of a cop out.

>Blood Meridian (highly recommend)
Amazing read.

Currently reading pic related. It's pretty sad desu.

Before that I read angle of repose by Wallace Stenger.

Currently re-reading the series.

Truly the best fantasy world ever developed in books. I've never read a book where I can tell so much about a character just by how they talk or act.

Extreme ownership

"It is true enough that when I lifted a certain weight of steel, I was able to believe in my own strength. I sweated and panted, struggling to obtain certain proof of my strength. At such times, strength was mine, and equally it was the steel’s. My sense of existence was feeding on itself.”

The Turner Diaries by William Luther Pierce
Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Mein Kampf by you know exactly who
The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion
The Bell Curve by Charles A. Murray and Richard Herrnstein

Basically this, it was written by a Vietnam veteran, it's less about actually fighting the war(the ayy lmao aren't even seen until near the end) and more about him struggling to adapt back to the increasingly bizarre and "alien" civilian world, in some ways it's what Starship Troopers would have been like if it had been from the perspective of a character who was smart enough to understand how totalitarian their society is

Felt more like a hippie rant about how horrible war is honestly

>The Witcher series
really?

libgen.io/ads.php?md5=E8D6F06C6780EC4DC4E3A0B567F08E4B
Yes.

Is this book a meme? I thought it was going to teach you how to be a sociopath, but instead it just says you must not be a "nice guy" by being a nice guy.

this. and Starship Troopers too just because.

This, lots of people have ambitions of "Starting wit the Greeks" but in reality unless you have at least a basic knowledge of Greek history and mythology you're going to lose a lot of the subtler meanings

Atlas shrugged at the moment
I'm now halfway through, tbqh it's not THAT bad as some people say it is. Sometimes the dialogues are way to boring

and then stranger in a strange land by heinlein.

I'm like 5/6 through, it's actually relatively good, except for the cuck shit.

Honestly, pic related did more for my mindset than Jack Donovan, Gorilla Mindset, No more mr nice guy or any other Veeky Forums-approved books ever did.
Also, this one is fun to read, rather than Evola spending 250 pages saying Nietzsche was right but kinda wrong but kinda right and that jazz sucks.

he calls them nice guys, but he mentions over and over that theyre not nice

Read the classics, it's important to know how many of the modern paradigms and philosophies came about. This will give you context for reading the stoics. I like meditations as much as the next guy, but also read epictitus.
Modern literature I love Cormac McCarthy, his books explore masculinity and the extremes of humanity, really though provoking text and intense prose. He's not considered the greatest living American author for nothing.
I also like to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez, because fuck you I enjoy a little romance, even though it's antithetical to stoicism. 100 years of solitude is an awesome book and allegory for Latin American history.
And don't be afraid to read poetry. I don't go much for the sappy love poems, hallmark card shit, but there's some pretty fantastic and memorable poetry out there about every theme. Explore and find what speaks to you there.
And I love me some sci fi. Asimov and Bradbury are my favorite but they're obvious.

It's one of my favorite fantasy book series. Everyone has read LOTR, and the only other one I've read is Dune, which I liked, but not as much as the Witcher.

>Have you read neuromancer

Yup, I love it. /fitlit/ for life

Anyone who sees his just remember that lit is very pretentious and hipster with their likes and dislikes. Most of these books really aren't that great from a enjoyability perspective, lit ranks them high because of historical significance, meme factor, and high difficulty to get through most of them

Signed, brainlet

True, the difference IMO is that lots of books have hippie rants about how war is hell but eventually it ends and you either die or you get to go home and start rebuilding your life, the difference is that in The Forever War is that it depicts life as still being hellish even after the war ends, a common topic in fiction these days but pretty radical by 1960s standards, PTSD wasn't very well understood at the time

>Most of these books really aren't that great from a enjoyability perspective

Most of the books on that list aren't supposed to be "enjoyable" in the traditional sense, self-education and self-improvement aren't always fun user, often it's actually quite painful, man being both the sculptor and the stone and whatnot

Nothing has showed me how to fix myself more than Jordan Peterson, but as for books that have have turned my life upside down in a good way:
> No More Mr. Nice Guy
> Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
> Tribe
> The Bible

Yes, but reading Ulysses isn't going to make you a better person beyond the "I set a goal and accomplished it"-level, and there's far better goals ways to spend your time on.
Most of the books on there is there because they are edgy, have experimental structure or are a less mainstream book from a famous author.

Actually his books are pretty much the oppsite, it's finding masculinity in non traditional ways

examples?

>all these one size fits all self help books
lmao, that shit is one step above mom lit

Remember, the Tao that can be spoken cannot be the eternal Tao.

>other people's experience is never useful, just roll dice and hope shit plays out perfectly
AKA how to never progress. Guess we all better figure out math and science from scratch because it'd be fucking lame for someone to teach us things that have already been figured out.

Fuck, Mishima is definitely Veeky Forums material

I'm the flowers for algernon guy. Currently reading Crime and Punishment. Was considering the brothers karamazov next because I'm getting a good feel/warming up to Dosto's prose, but it's such a daunting task. I think I'll go with blood meridian.

After that, maybe brothers. Got any recommendations for highly touted fiction that touches on existential/spiritual themes? I'm kind of in the mood for that. Something like Season 6 of the Sopranos