What's the best sources to learn about the Vietnam war?

What's the best sources to learn about the Vietnam war?

rising storm 2

people who were alive at that time

I like that cool doc they released last year. Very comprehensive. I think it's just called The Vietnam War but I might be wrong.

The other doc on (12?) Lessons from McNamara has some interesting Vietnam content too

The groundbreaking documentary "It Ain't Me."

Just be aware of books and documentaries that actively try to push pacifist. They care more for the cause than for facts.

Pentagon Papers

Gee I wonder what your ideology is

Why do people forget about the best Vietnam game ever made?

Kind of a mark of how deeply embedded anti-war propaganda has become that when someone says 'watch out for propaganda' your gut reaction is: they must have some sort of ideological motivation.

real talk the recent Ken Burns documentary is really good and worth a watch

> a literal /pol/ propaganda post about how the Americans DIDDIN DU NUFFIN and how South Vietnam were GOOD BOIS

The Sacred Willow was good. New Ken Burns Documentary also good.

explain to me which part of it is factually incorrect

Worst book I ever read on subject was mandated by a elitist asshat professor (its his book- yes I had to buy it) called Desk Warrior Memoirs of a combat REMF. Please write a negative review on amazon and tell him to neck himself.

Best book about the Cambodian incursion.

>Ken Burns documentary
It's shit, not to mention super shallow.

how is it "shit" and "shallow". Just curious.

Shallow as in it doesn't offer an in depth perspective on literally anything.

It was a 10 part series that was very well made (cooberated by eye-witnesses from both sides, authors, and academics) and spanned from French occpation to the aftermath of the war but yeah you got a point with the no depth thing

just walk by the memorial with your ipod playing it aint me by ol' fogey and the fortunate sons
you'll learn all you need to know

This. The fucking tunnel mission was fucking impossible when I played the game as a kid

Platoon

meh, I read A rumour of war and he explicitly states its not intended to be anti war but he was just sharing his story. He became deeply disenfranchised with the war so to not include that fact (which many soldiers did) would be lying

In the PS2 version in the sneaking missions you could prone and nobody could shoot you.

everyone knows the Tet was a massive failure by the vietnamese, that wasn't why people were upset back home. They were upset because they had constantly been told America was going to wind down its involvement, that the war was being won, that the enemy was being defeated then out of nowhere theres a massive offensive by this supposed weakened enemy
And it wasn't the "liberal media", there were many well balanced, well respected journalists that said the war was basically an unending mire.

>the VC were never widely supported in the south
this just isn't true. Tonnes of farmers worked for them whether out of fear or support they still worked for them.

And yes the VC were essentially wiped out but the NVA recovered quite quickly, they had a massive manpower pool to recruit from. This idea that the north vietnamese were on the brink of defeat is laughable really, they never had any intention to be ruled by a foreign invader

And about the NVA and VC being terrible to civilians, the ARVN were just as bad. Americans would hand over captured enemies to the ARVN for imprisonment knowing fully well the ARVN was just going to shoot them.

Americans may not have been as bad but they were still foreigners bombing the country to bits while being supported by an army that was just as vicious as the VC

all in all its your typical /pol/ post. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" should be stickied on the top of that board

>tfw fucking retards didn't even know you had a flashlight