Wing Chun

Anyone here practice a martial art?

I have been really considering learning Wing Chun, but im afraid of it may be useless in the real world unless im a master level practitioner.

Anyone know somethings I can practice on my own before I see a instructor, im stoll sorting out finances and working out my schedule. I "box" (hit a bag, shadow box) but I do that for cardio everyday.

Should I look into a different art?
Thoughts? Mobile posting

if you want something useful in a real fight learn a striking art and a grappling art

Boxing
Muai Thai
Kickboxing

Judo
Wrestling
Brazilian Ju Jitzu

one from each should be good
Muai Thai and Judo is probably the most powerful combo due to overlap between them
some meme MMA school if it has quality instructors should teach you a good mix of styles

Hitting a bag isn't boxing moron.

And you don't box until you've fought competitively, false claim.

Yeah thats why i put it in quotes and told you i dont actually box you retard

You literally said I box, quotations or not.

Fucking hell you are dumb as shit, you actually made that statement you stupid nigger.

I'm doing Weng Chun but thats rather similar.
>but im afraid of it may be useless in the real world unless im a master level practitioner.
It is to some degree but that is entirely dependent on your instructor and with what mentality he teaches it. If he is someone who teaches it as spiritual experience and just as a sport it won't be terribly useful in a fight except maybe you know how to throw a punch.
If he teaches it as a way of selfdefense with the needed sensibilities then it is alright.
That means the basics of street fighting, how deescalate situations, how to inflict pain on soft spots like balls, ears, eyes and how to pick your fights etc.
>Anyone know somethings I can practice on my own before I see a instructor
No. In fact if you just follow some youtube vids you may learn some bad habits without anyone correcting.

has some good points. In general it is useful to know as much different schools and forms of fighting because you can get a very broad experience with different people which is very useful.

Judo and other grappling styles aren't as useful in real life situations as the others because you want to stay away from the floor as much as possible so Jamals friends don't kick the shit out off you.
But grappling is all the more important if you do 1vs1 fights in training so you shouldn't skip it under any circumstances.

I'm glad you can see it's inffective; I gotta ask though why do it?

Why not do something that works like boxing or muay thai?

One month into ving tsun, love it, like boxing, doesn't kill gains, 100% self defense like krav maga. I'd say krav maga is more useful if you're not a ving tsun pro (>10 years)
I did tkd for a few years and I have to admit it's more fun though

>He paid for the snake oil and can't face reality

Kicks go to knees and groin, fists/hands go to celiac plexus, throat, face, eyes, hair
No stupid rules like every other martial art

Krav maga is largely useless and shit outside of a combat situation
and 90% of krav maga instructors are memelords who likely aren't Israeli special forces

Muai Thai is the real deal and plenty dangerous
but you don't want to kill someone in a street fight

>I gotta ask though why do it?
Mainly availability since there was a big center in my city. Also I enjoyed to cultural aspects of whole China-Kungfu monks riffraff.
But yeah it is important to consider where its roots come from and that it isn't a very effective style of selfdefense. There is often too much circus and dogma in the movements.

Almost all successful Kung-Fu figthers are successful because they adapt stuff from other more tested schools in terms of free fighting. And those who don't get BTFO hard very soon. I've seen it often enough in tournaments.

My instructor is bigger than 99% of Veeky Forums, and there are no females in my school

Your such a raging faggot, you are only posting itt to be a nigger. End it

Thabks for that advice
Mai was something I considered, Im two belts away from black but I was learning general karate (learning stretches and basic forms). Im quiet flexible and I can kick pretty high.

I sincerly love the flow of Wing Chun, it looks elegant and very pretty. I also like the idea that its a parry/strike style, but again. Il be fighting off someone who likely grapples if i ever get into a street fight (i hope it never happens).
My friends grandpa passed away and left him a bamboo ring he practiced with. The ring is designed to force your hands close together, teaching you how to strike while keeping your hands tight together. It also teaches you explosive forearm strength. I dont plan to play with it until im certain i wont learn bad habbits. Many people online say to never watch videos and just see an instructor but this is very costly to jump in and learn (im mobile posting not retarded)

>Il be fighting off someone who likely grapples if i ever get into a street fight (i hope it never happens).
Again if you find yourself in a self-defense position you want to minimize grappling and fighting on the floor as much as possible because it generally leads to terrible results for everyone involved.
If you already have plenty of experience with Karate etc you may want to take some special self-defense courses that teach you how to maneuver street situations. Throwing punches is only a small part of that.

>and left him a bamboo ring he practiced with.
Yes those things like the rings and the wodden puppets with the three arms are nice gadgets which made Kung-Fu quite fun for me too. But they are a novelty.
Half an hour with an actual opponent is much more valuable than 3 hours with that thing though. Keep that in mind and ask around your Dojo or wherever for the guys who do some sparring afterwards the normal lessons. Its free and it helps tremendously.

Thanks a lot mate. Someone actually reached out to me this morning offering me a free month of lessons in Wing Tsun. Il definitely keep off the groud. What kind of art do you practice?

>My instructor is bigger than 99% of Veeky Forums

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? He is still a snake oil salesman. My coach is probably bigger than yours; but he was a professional boxer before retiring and opening a gym in my city. You're living in fantasy land if you buy into the urban Krav Maga keysi fighting method defense lab new age shit.

I'm I learned Weng Chun Kung-Fu for a few years but that was some time ago. When I moved away I started doing some free training with friends who also did all sorts of styles like Wing Chun, Krav, Karate etc
Thats what developed me the most I have to say because its a lot of new experiences, tricks and levers to learn. And actual hands on fighting.
"Jack of all trades and master of none" has often a negative intonation but i don't think that is the case for fighting styles. People or opponents will come in all sorts of forms so always doing something new and different seems useful.
I'm still very fond of Kung-Fu even if it isn't all that good for absolutely wrecking your enemy. The aesthetic and whole philosophy is very nice.

Does anyone have experience with Sambo? There is an instructor near me and I think it would be cool to learn, especially if it's practical self defense

>Judo and other grappling styles aren't as useful in real life situations as the others because you want to stay away from the floor as much as possible so Jamals friends don't kick the shit out off you.
You had good points there until here. Yes you have to watch out for it a bit more in grappling arts, but to say they're not as useful because "muh floor/multiple opponents" is just repeating retarded memes

BJJ for ground
Muay Thai for standup
If you somehow can find a gym that teaches sambo do it and be a slav fighting king of the west.

You are an idiot. When people put things in quotes like that it literally means they are saying it ironically. Learn to english.