Is it possible to have capitalism without it degenerating into consumerism?

Is it possible to have capitalism without it degenerating into consumerism?

No

We had capitalism since Vth century BC and we didn't always had consumerism.

>Consumerism is bad

Depleting maximum amount of resources while seeing minimal innovation is bad though.

There are ways to fight consumerism but it's so new I don't know if it can be beat while stills working within the realm of capitalism. Just like any conservative agenda it starts with education

>since the 5th century BC.
Probably even older than that but I understand the point you are making.
Just to add however, consumerism is product of late capitalism and the result of extreme wealth being divided into the masses. 30k a year to some may not be a lot but after credit availability and respectively being able to feed and bathe ones self in a complete state of consciousness allows that person to consume other wants while still being able to acquire needs. This is the basis of consumerism in a society that looks up to a higher class of consumers; the want to acquire more in hopes of mimicking others.
To answer OP it is possible, but how to go back is a question I haven't the slightest to be able to answer.
Perhaps a total collapse where wealth is either irrelevant or no longer being distributed at the high rates it is today.

Needs religion & other social structure to give security to induviduals

True, we need centrally planned economies.

>minimal innovation
u wot m8

of course not. Increases in consumption raise GDP which benefits everyone

not without giving rise to something more terrible. humans aren't too good at organizing massive societies. we can only store 300 or so "personality recognitions" in our brains; everyone else gets a generic marker.
collapse always happens. its inevitable. nothing ever works properly due to greed. the georgia guidestones are probably the best solution.

> we can only store 300 or so "personality recognitions" in our brains; everyone else gets a generic marker.
this is as retarded as the myth that we only use 10 percent of our brains

Reminder that the state can’t survive without capitalism.

It’s just America that brought that about

consumerism is a pretty empty term, you know

But user, we have computers to take care of the bulk of that desu.

stop propagating the 'capitalism is ancient' baloney
capitalism refers to the specific economic circumstances that sprung up around the 18th century in Europe and the concomitant legal, political, technological and social changes that produced it

What system has more innovation than ours?

This. Natural traditionalism /=/ consumer-centric capitalism.

>raise GDP which benefits everyone

GDP is a death cult.

say that to China throwing gorillons of dollars in Africa, I am pretty sure your meme wealthy city-states can't do that

Consumerism is one of the things that make it redeemable. A system designed around people getting stuff they want is good.

I think it would be something like "people getting stuff they didn't wanted"

Can someone understand what the fuck he is saying here?

But our economy is far more consumer focused
Historically we had a "push" economy where manafacturers would make something without regard to consumer interests, and consumer interest was an afterthought