/owg/ - I need new webms edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-185kg.php
powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/werk-san-190kg-olympic-training-set-small-cast-discs.php
youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03s
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sup, /owg/?

I have a home now and I plan to build a home gym in my 3x6m^2 garage. I have 0 common sense about equipment quality other than some gyms have slim & straight barbells, while others have fat, bent barbells and uneven, chipped plates. I need something that can withstand Power Cleans (under 100kg).

What am I looking for? Iron, rubber, vinyl? Can someone advice me on this set:

powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-olympic-rubber-radial-barbell-kit-185kg.php

Look how much more expensive is the Olympic set:

powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/werk-san-190kg-olympic-training-set-small-cast-discs.php

I will deadlift and power clean over a couple layers of plywood ofc.

I don't oly but SAUCE

You definitely want a decent quality bar. Not necessarily an Eleiko or Uesaka, but something that will spin well and with a decent knurling. In the US, Rogue makes pretty good bars at a lower cost than the IWF official bars, not sure about their availability in the UK. I know strength shop is pretty big in the UK, but can't speak to the quality of their equipment. You'll want to use olympic bumpers so that your plates are all uniform size, although the quality of your bumper plates is a lot less important than the quality of the bar. As for your home gym, you'll probably wanna line your floor with horse stall mats so that your floor is safe.

started cleaning a month ago

red pill me /owg/
and gib tips pls

read the pastebin up top you idiot

>implying I can be arsed with it

youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03s

google is your friend

>pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
y-yes

Thanks. I've actually done more research since I posted that and decided that the site I linked is garbage.

I'll go with one of these two, and probably the Power Bar and maybe buy bumper plates further down the line when/if I go heavier.

Now, it's not as multipurpose as the other one (which also has Olympic weightlifting in the description), but it's highly rated and /plg/ shilled for it. It will be okay to do light cleans with the Power Bar, right?

They also shipped Texas Power Bar, but I'm leaning toward the rogue bar for the warranty.

You'll really tear up your hands doing power cleans on a powerlifting bar, have tried it, would not recommend. The bars also don't spin very well. The Ohio bar is a perfectly fine, all purpose bar that you can get a lot of mileage out of if you maintain.

don't fall for the bearing bar meme, the bushing ones are just as good at half the cost.

1. Look into wrist stretches.
2. Front squatting will help with mobility. (Don't go over 5's this can be hell on your wrists as a novice.)
3. Singles are best for leaning form. If it's your only pull try 5x1 progressive and then 5x1 at 90% of top weight 3xweek. Try H/L(80% of top weight/M(90%) as needed.
4. Clean high pulls (3 rep sets) are the best thing for strengthening cleans. Power cleans are too dissimilar a movement and the weight you are using is limited for a strength builder.

Anyone got a pdf or source for Tommy Kono's two weightlifting books?

Not op, but would also add that you should build your clean from the top down ideally

Pls explain ty

Not him, but it's all in the wrists and the second pull.

This juiced up nigger has terrible form and he is a turbo manlet. Why do you all watch manlets for technique? Is everyone ITT 5 feet?

Top down methodology is western crossfit pseudoscience.

Keep cleaning until it *looks* nice. Get a coach.

I said this in plg too

This is the most impressive webm I've ever seen. Are those 50kg plates for real? I thought they were typically dark green

There should be one in the pastebin.

Can't find anything in the OP pastebins or on a google search. Am I missing something?

Top down progression- something like high hang clean, low hang clean, clean from the floor, as demonstrated in the fucking Pendlay video linked above. Jesus fucking Christ learn how to you use google you god damned mongoloid. If you're too lazy to google things yourself, maybe olympic lifts are too hard for you.

Because he lifts WRs, meanwhile you're lifting bitch weights in your mom's garage. "But muh form!!!1!" Literally nobody cares how your lifts look except for autists on Reddit and owg. All that matters is the weight on the bar and if it was lifted or not.

That lift is 187.5kgs, the number on the bottom is his total. The red plates are 25kgs.

Okay that's what I thought

I almost fucking shit myself

I've used the power bar before. definitely not good for oly lifts

Whoops the ones in the pastebin are by Takano. My bad.

>last training day of LSUS was today
>2 weeks of peaking and 1 deload then I get to max my lifts and my strength numbers

Look up how to create a deadlift platform and make one that's 8 feet instead of the regular 4 feet

you're fucking insane if you believe this

I can tell the difference immediately

the difference in spin is incomparable

so anyone doing comps this year?

>tfw bruises everywhere on my quads
>close to my hip
>near my knee where I failed
>fucking hit my pubic bone by hip cleaning 80kg
>my entire groin hurts from snatches
Life is suffering

What's your opinion on stomping one's feet for the classical lifts? A guy at my gym suggested to me a while ago.

like having your feet lift off the ground after you've finished your second pull?

Yeah

you can do it if you want; if it works for you it works but keep in mind that once your feet leave the floor it's the end of your second pull

Bump

Didn't mean to reply. Took a quick look at /owg/ with my phone to see if it's still alive and used quick reply to bump because it uses the better captcha, but I forgot to remove the post link.

i accept your apology

>have another dream where I'm dating Rebeka Koha
>wake up

The world is so cruel

why does that midget have a huge dong?

bcuz he's the most dominant olympic lifter to ever live more or less

sossforzuzz

manlet magical powers

saoli sabatini

>it's highly rated and /plg/ shilled for it.

The Power Bar is for Powerlifting. Buy an Oly bar

You fucking chink cuck, of course there's a difference the bearing spins "longer" and why the fuck would you care about how long it spins? The only time the bar needs to rotate on the collars is during the turn over of a snatch or clean, and it's ONLY a fucking quarter turn.

The bushing bars spin just as smoothly as the bearing ones do, except the kikes mark it up 50%.

So sure, if you're autistic and rich - go for the bearing.

anyone ever gotten a bar from PR Lifting?

also, bare essentials for home olympic setup?

>Olympic barbell for your gender
>bumper plates
>change plates
>flat, solid floor that can take hundreds of kilos worth of bumper plates dropped over seven feet from the ground thousands of times or alternatively a platform or thick-ass mats (8x8 feet worth of space seems safe enough, but anyone should feel free to correct me)
>if you're indoors, a ceiling that's high enough to leave some space between itself and you standing and holding up a loaded barbell overhead
>Squat rack

The only downside to the Ohio bar is that it doesn't have a center knurl, but unless you're retarded, you can back squat without it.

>also, bare essentials for home olympic setup?

I'll go different from the user above:

>the cheapest 15kg 6' bar you can get and 85kg of cheap cast iron weight, and NOTHING ELSE

That's all you need to get started lifting and first trying out the olympic lifts, the length is suitable for both snatch/c&j you don't need to consider bar quality until you can c&j that weight and even when maxing the set out you can lower the bar to the floor without dropping it making bumper plates/reinforced flooring unnecessary. Squatting? You can clean and front squat. The only thing you'll need is gloves as the ends of the bar will not be knurled.

You're retarded. If you miss a lift with a cast iron plate in a home gym, you're gonna have a bad time. Bumpers aren't designed just for dropping lifts when you're finished, they're also designed to prevent damaging floors after missed lifts. 15kg bars are generally about the same price as 20kg bars, maybe $10-20 cheaper, because 15kg bars are literally only used for olympic weightlifting, nothing else. You also want a bar that spins decently so that you don't fuck up your wrists and learn the lifts properly.

Bumpers were actually designed/implemented with protecting cast iron in mind. Dropping = cracking.

Additionally: 1) only an idiot will lose control of 100kg. Newbs should, primarily, be using sub max weight for low rep sets, so risk of dropping a bar from overhead is very unlikely. (On top of this - a newb will be primarily missing the second pull on the snatch going heavy, which takes next to all 'risk' out of one lift.), 2) You will not fuck up your wrists due to not having a revolving bar. Think Hepburn or Vlasov had spinning bars? They make your lifts look like a bitches. 3) Every cheap oly barbell set in my country comes with 6' bars. I am not describing a 'womens bar'. Bare bones 100kg sets retail for $300.

Your reply cements the stereotype that oly lifters are autistic nerds. An absolute novice only needs the most basic of equipment to get started, and a 100kg weight set will cover that all. We should be encouraging this, rather than making entry elitist. One needs to keep in mind that they may snatch twice and never touch the bar again. For me, recommending anything more than I have would be the equiv. of a bike forum telling a newb they need the $1500 bike Lance Armstrong uses before they begin road cycling.

There's so many things wrong with this comment, it's hard to overestimate how much of an idiot you are

And I'm not even that guy you were talking to

>Bumpers were actually designed/implemented with protecting cast iron in mind... as OG gyms all had lifting platforms and suitable flooring where 'damaging da floor' wasn't a concern. Dropping = cracking.

>...says the cunt with a whopping 70kg c&j... though he assures everyone onn reddit it is done with perfect form

Lol. I can only do it with 60kg and my form is shit

>$50 says this is autistic blueshoes

Why do you have an opinion when you can only c&j 60kg?

Common sense
Also that's my current 1rm. I lost like 40kg and my c+j decreased from 90kg to 60kg

>build your clean from the top down

Posts CJ Cummings who doesn't even extend fully. American weightlifting, not even one time.

he doesn't lift good technically but hell it works for him

>Common sense

>aka 'i dun read it on reddit'

By the way, the drop from 90-60 probably means you've got weaker. You'll can't lose 'technique', even from months of layoff, or do you need to readdress it, as those nerds on reddit tell you. My advice would be to begin a power phase with the clean. A heavy day 1xweek with your 5-7rm (percieved, through a rm calculator obv.) with work sets of 3-6x3 and adding weight (2.5) when you can hit all 6 sets would be my recommendation. This will probably bring your clean back up to what it once was very quickly. Feel free to add a technique session midweek with a sub max single session on Friday.

Strength = uber alles. Though I can't believe I am agreeing with Panzer 'Wankathon' Jäger.

Thanks brah. But I still think a ball bearing bar is essential for beginners trying to learn form

I'm not saying to buy the most expensive bar imaginable. But it's crucial to have the bar spin to allow for a better catch.

I think your second comment is pretty dumb. Weight on the bar as the ONLY priority is ridiculous unless you are competing at an elite level, which is none of us here including you. Pretty lifts feel better, are healthier for your joints, and are more impressive (at the same weight).

Any motherfucker who can squat 125kg who watches a video on the internet can muscle up a shitty 60kg c&j. You are just week.

Protip: I can't squat 125kg yet. See

1.) Everybody starts somewhere, novices don't start snatching 100kgs, and don't make every lift. Beginners miss. Somebody with really shit mobility will end up missing lifts in front, especially snatches in the hole. They come crashing down. Ideally beginners don't miss, but they do.

2.) So what if lifters didn't have barbells in the 50s and 60s that span? You also couldn't make any body contact in the lifts, olympic barbells spin largely because of the second pull body contact. Technique is different, you can't old school lifting here.

3. You explicitly said 15kg barbell, if this guy is a dude, there's not a reason in the world he should be lifting on a women's barbell.

You're clearly the retard here. Obviously OP doesn't need an Eleiko comp bar and plates to get started, but he should at LEAST have a 20kg men's barbell that spins decently. We're only talking like $300 US. Buy nice or buy twice. As for the plates, OP should have functional bumpers to not fuck up their floor.

Is it accurate to say Max Aita is the most knowledgeable public OL resource out there? He has stories for days, seems to understand the scientific/practical/psychological aspects of lifting more than anyone, and knows how to program anything

Yeah, from what I've seen he's pretty cool and I like the stuff he puts out from juggernaut.

thanks lad

i mostly do PL but I clean once a week because it's awesome

will follow your advice

Bump