This is the funniest shit I've ever seen...

This is the funniest shit I've ever seen. Like I literally burst out laughing for five straight minutes when I first read about it. I mean, wow. Holy shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tulip is the beginning of something great: a gold without a monarchy, something necessary and imperative.

What I wouldn't give to be on Veeky Forums in 1637

And people still fall for it.

>No, my sire, you don't understand, the price of tulips are going straight to the top of the Vaalserberg!
>Dare I say it, tulips could go to Mont Blanc!

tulip meme is overstated

Aren't diamonds the same?

>Tfw you realize the crypto meme has been around for almost half a millenium.

Not exactly
Things that require vast amounts of physical labor to derive will always have some high value if only because of that (gold, diamonds, etc)

What’s the story?

like bitcoin but with tulips and in the 17th century

The price of diamonds is, in an essence, regulated by the companies which sell them, rather than speculation being allowed to run wild. Any increase in demand would probably result in prices to go up, but it's not a result of pure speculation, so it wouldn't be as drastic.

Jews, you got to love 'em.

There's a point that you realize that no matter how many retarded crooks the financial market has, a lot of these crisis come stupidity and greed of regular folk.

also you cna't regrow a diamond

It is a make believe world, industrial diamonds have made the baubles worth only what the Goyim pay. Silly white boys.

The thought of people centuries ago shitposting and arguing over trivial things always gives me such enjoyment. Like ancient /k/ommandos arguing over the merits of a gladius over an ulfberht and getting all butthurt.

>the fool purchased with all in his possession
>dispose of it

I still don't understand what the fuck they were doing with all those damn tulips.

You also realize that despite it being retarded a lot of people do get rich from these things. It's like a lottery with slightly better odds.

I don't disagree, a big part of the price of diamonds globally has to do with how De Beers sees to price them.

The point of tulip mania was that the rarity of certain types of tulips (whether that rarity was real or a fabrication) drove speculation. Sure, diamonds are far more limited than tulips, but there are some subspecies of tulips that were traded during the mania that don't even exist anymore.

Synthetic diamonds are a very real thing and the carbon required to make them is widely abundant.
It's just that the technology to do this is owned by the same companies that mine them.

The difference between tulips and diamonds is that the diamond market is heavily controlled to keep those inflated prices high whereas any 17th century dutch gardener could grow more tulips giving the bulb sellers no overarching control of the market.

>meanwhile, on /automaton9000/

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1824: Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?
pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

HODL, MY LORD, DO NOT FALL FOR RUMOURS, JUST HODL YOUR TULIPS WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT