How did black people in america transition from slaves to the current state?

How did black people in america transition from slaves to the current state?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UA0XGVjQtQM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whites did it for them. Just like everything else. Negroes are incabale of anything other than criminal acts and savagery. They should've stayed in their shithole continent.

Assuming you're not a baitposter, you're probably not going to get a very good or comprehensive answer from Veeky Forums. The best thing I can recommend to you is take an Afro-American history course at your local community college. Failing that, the short version is basically:

>civil war frees them
>Reconstruction sees status briefly elevated
>Jim Crow established in late 19th, early 20th century sees status reduced
>Civil Rights movements sees some gains, but most of these gains are concentrated in the "upper" class of Black people, and many are left behind in education, severely limiting economic gain
>combine this with poor housing introduced in the 1950's and 60's, and you get very poor living conditions in inner-cities that are conducive to criminal lifestyles and very little else
Basically a bunch of different factors. But you're talking about over such a long period of time that it's kind of difficult to talk about any of them and still be concise.

>The best thing I can recommend to you is take an Afro-American history course at your local community college.
DO NOT DO THIS

Majority of black americans are uncivilized hooligans, the rest who had human behavior tried to get jobs then the (((government))) fucked that up to create anti-white hatred that the negros bring up this day Black Wall Street as they put it despite the fact most negros today wouldnt hesitate to rob those smart blacks who tried to do something with their lives rather than be criminal pieces of shit to their own people.

fpbp

this is a pretty good summation
why not?

Like any other slave caste throughout history. Most slaves brought to America were males, because females were more expensive and less practical to buy in bulk for hard labor. Most of those male slaves never reproduced, while the females served as maids/concubines. Their mulatto children were relegated to slave status, and thus the first generation of true "black Americans" were born. After independence European immigrants poured into the US in massive quantities and that affected American in a variety of ways. Not the least of which the federal government was able to exploit the rifts between the white American natives, black american slave caste, and waves of immigrants desperate to Americanize.

>this is a pretty good summation

No it's not.

It's the standard liberal trope of "black people are shit because white people made them that way"

i'm i alone in never having a bad experience with black people? white trash has tried to rob me (lol), started fights, you name it. black people, not so much.
one of my friends was beat into a coma by a gang of "teens" here in DC in broad daylight but he's an overtly racist asshole and doesn't know how to treat people.
but all things considered, they've gotten a pretty deal here in the states. if isolated hooliganism is the worst of it then so what?
i think most of you don't even know any black people.

Crack epidemic

>black people rush off to school to learn how to read so they can get marriage licenses and property deeds and inherit shit, meteoric rises in black literacy
>for a brief period in the 1870s, a lot of black people get elected to state governments
>withering counterattack in the 1880s and 1890s by the KKK, mostly destroys black politics in the South
>a significant number of black people leave the south to cities, looking for jobs
>as it turns out, the North isn't that much better than the south
>in the sixties, just as the civil rights movement is taking off, the black communities start collapsing from heroin, the death of urban political machines, and family collapse
>in between 1963 and 1970, US homicide rates double, most of this increase is in inner cities
>black communities then get hit by cocaine, and then again by crack cocaine
>homicide rates remain meteoric until the early 90s, then collapse to all-time lows, due to some combination of the RICO act, aggressive policing, abortion, and banning leaded gasoline
>in between 1960 and 2010, the percentage of American blacks living in poverty still drops from 80% to 40%, but the percentage growing up in two parent households drops from 70% to 22%
>the rise in single parent black households is partly due to the sexual revolution, but is also strongly influenced by the lack of black males because so many black men are in prison, in gangs, or otherwise unavailable to raise families
>black women much richer than black men, which forces them to choose between marrying a loser and raising their kids alone
>things still the best they've ever been for black America, but white America hasn't been standing still either, and the gap has only widened due to the trend towards a post-industrial service economy

Sorry if that's TL;DR and a bit rambling, but that's more or less what happened.

This but unironically

there was a lot of great historical information in this post please post more

Pre slavery: Niggers live dependent on slave owners

Post Slavery: Niggers live dependent on the feds

Nothing has changed.

great post. can I read it?

The welfare state.

>most of these gains are concentrated in the "upper" class of Black people, and many are left behind in education
Curiously, that is exactly the outcome you would expect if blacks were inherently less intelligent. Curiously, the exact same outcome is observed in black and middle eastern populations across all European countries.
Curiously, IQ tests and school test results support the thesis that these people are simply less intelligent by nature, so that only a small fraction is equipped with the abilities that are required to succeed, and as a result, the majority forms an underclass of violent barbarians that never get better, no matter what system they are living under.

>isolated hooliganism
I remember the day I realised the LA riots were no baseball team

How little the people living today know of the institution of slavery as it existed in the South before the war. I long for the eloquence of our silver-tongued orator, Benjamin H. Hill, that I might paint the picture as I remember it.

If the roll call were taken of the children in the South today they would in large numbers be found to be abolitionists, intense and fanatical, and in full sympathy with the Northern side. Why? Because from childhood they have been taught by teachers who believe this, and have been fed on such children’s books as “The Elsie Books,” Louisa Alcott’s stories, and kindred ones, besides being allowed to see moving picture shows of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Sheridan’s Ride; Contest between Merrimac and Monitor, and the like. Whom can you blame for this, parents, but yourselves?

lavery was no disgrace to the owner or the owned. From time immemorial all civilized nations had been slaveholders. White, brown and black have been slaves.

Who was responsible for slavery in the United States? Spain and England.

What colony first owned slaves? The Jamestown colony.

Was there any colony or State of all the thirteen which did not own slaves? Not one. In 1776 there were 500,000 slaves in America and 300,000 were in the Northern colonies.

What was the condition of the Africans when brought to this country? Savage to the last degree, climbing cocoanut trees to get food, without thought of clothes to cover their bodies, and sometimes cannibals, and all bowing down to fetishes—sticks and stones—as acts of worship.

What laws became necessary when they reached this country? Very rigid and in the light of the present day civilization excessively cruel. A strong argument for the civilizing power of slavery would be to compare these colonial laws with the laws of 1860.

How did the Cavaliers regard slavery? They were very thankful to have a part in such a wonderful missionary and educational enterprise.

How did the Puritans regard slavery? They thanked God for the opportunity of bringing these benighted souls to a knowledge of Jesus Christ,

How did the Quakers regard the institution of slavery? They were always opposed to the holding of any human being as property, although it is stated that William Penn did once own slaves.

Does the Bible condemn slavery?

It certainly does not. God gave to Abraham the most explicit directions what he should do with his slaves bought with his own money, and what he should do with the ones he owned by right of capture. (Gen. 17.) Then our Lord healed the centurion’s servant and said not a word about it being a sin to hold him in bondage, (Matt. 8.) And Paul sent Onesimus, the run-away slave, back to his master with apologies, but said nothing to Philemon about freeing him, but rather offered himself to pay his master for the time Onesimus had stolen from him. (Phil. 1, 18.) And Titus was the pastor of a slave church. Paul wrote to him to exhort those slaves to be obedient to their masters, not to answer back again, and not to steal, but to adorn

[Page 16]

the doctrine of God their Savior in all things. (Titus 2:9, 10.) See also Eph. 6:5, 6, 7, 8.

Did the slaveholder in the South take an interest in the religious condition of the negro?

He certainly did. More negroes were brought to a knowledge of God and their Savior under this institution of slavery in the South than under any other missionary enterprise in the same length of time. Really more were Christianized in the 246 years of slavery than in the more than thousand years before.

In 1861 there were, by actual statistics, in the seceding States 220,000 negro Baptists, 200,000 Methodists, 31,000 Presbyterians, 7,000 Episcopalians, and 30,000 belonging to unclassified Christian churches.

The negro race should give thanks daily that they and their children are not today where their ancestors were before they came into bondage.

Was the negro happy under the institution of slavery? They were the happiest set of people on the face of the globe,—free from care or thought of food, clothes, home, or religious privileges.

The slaveholder felt a personal responsibility in caring for his slaves physically, mentally, morally, and spiritually. By the way, we never called them slaves, they were our people, our negroes, part of our very homes. I do not remember a case of consumption, or I should say now tuberculosis, among the negroes in the South. I do not recall but one crazy negro in those days. Hospitals and asylums cannot now be built fast enough to accommodate them.

I am not here to defend slavery. I would not have it back, if I could, but I do say I rejoice that my father was a slaveholder, and my grandfathers and great-grandfathers were slaveholders, and had a part in the greatest missionary and educational endeavors that the world has ever known. There never have been such cooks, such nurses or mammies, such housemaids, such seamstresses, such spinners, such weavers, such washer-women. There never have been such carpenters, blacksmiths, butlers, drivers, field hands, such men of all work as could be found on the old plantations. Aunt Nanny’s cabin was a veritable kindergarten where the young negroes were trained to sew, to spin, to card, to weave, to wash and iron, and to nurse; where the boys were taught to shell peas, to shuck corn, to churn, to chop wood, to pick up chips, to feed pigs, to feed

[Page 17]

chickens, to hunt turkey, duck, guinea, goose and hen eggs and to make fires, and to sweep the yards. Did the negroes hate their owners, and resent bondage? I need only to call to mind what happened when John Brown tried to make them rise and murder their masters and their masters’ children. I need only call to mind what happened when their masters went to battle, leaving in absolute trust “Ole Mis” and the children to their protection. I need only call to mind what happened after they were free that made Thad Stevens’ Exodus Order necessary in order to tear them from their old owners. I need only call to mind the many mammies who stayed to nurse “Ole Marster’s” children to the third and fourth generation;

Compare the race morally to what it was then. “Ole Marster” never allowed his negroes to have liquor unless he gave it to them. Crimes now so common were never known then. While the negro under the present system of education may know more Latin and Greek, it does not better fit him for his life work. It is true the negro did not go to school under slavery, but he was allowed to be taught, if he so desired. I have in mind a young aunt who taught three negro women every night because they wanted to read their Bibles. I have in mind my mother on the plantation surrounded every Sunday afternoon teaching to the negro children the same verses of Scripture, the same Sunday School lesson, the same hymns that she taught her own children.

As in family life a child must be punished if disobedient, so in plantation life a negro had to be punished if disobedient. Even admitting that some overseers were cruel, will the most exaggerated cases of cruelty compare with the burning of the witches at Salem or the awful conditions of the captured Africans on the slave ships, or the fearful conditions in the sweat shops of Chicago and New York today? The slave was the property of the slaveholder and a selfish reason would have protected him if there had been no higher motive.

No, the slaveholder was no criminal and slavery under the old regime was no crime. In all the history of the world no peasantry was ever better cared for, more contented or happier.

These wrongs must be righted and the Southern slaveholder defended as soon as possible.
www.confederatepastpresent.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=145:mildred-rutherford-defends-slavery-in-address-to-the-united-daughters-of-the-confederacy&catid=37:the-nadir-of-race-relations

>wow, racist and sexist much!?

Please define "current state," so that we may have an actual discussion.

only a small amount of people are capable of flourishing and succeeding within a society. Congratulations, you discovered the root cause of inequality, now what are you going to do with this information? Not care for the poor and less capable? Do something about it? Well good luck with either choice

Because many of them kept the slave mentality where they told themselves that all of their problems were out of their hands and as such they had a low portion of them who were intrested in things such as self improvment, or community betterment and instead they focused on living hedonistic and self-destroying lives.

If you go into life with the expectation that you're going to fail at everything you do due to factors outside of your control then it's very hard to motivate yourself to do great things or even just good things.

I think that's probably eighty or ninety percent of the problem. Besides that there is an issue with lower average IQ, but I think that's again is mostly because of the defeatist mentality insofar is it also causes people to have lower standards during mate selection (I.E. who the fuck cares if she/he's stupid and having kids with them means your kids are going to be stupid if you're all just doomed to live lives in poverty or in the lower middle class if the man is holding you down). Then there's probably some legitimate discrimination against blacks that does keep them down a little bit, but I would argue that it's probably not much more significant in it's actual effect than discrimination that other communities face (frankly everyone is discriminated against in some way for something they are or something they do or have done, it's a reality that we just have to accept I think) but no matter how slight it might be in reality it's going to be profoundly discouraging and again just feed into that mentality where they keep telling themselves "you'll never amount to anything good and there's nothing you can do about it".

Also there's the issue of self segregation and tribalism. Many blacks in the US simply don't want to associate with whites, even if doing so would be profoundly advantageous to them. They would rather just keep to themselves when they should be perusing anything they can to better themselves and their communities.

Amerimutts finally realised that slavery was a retarded and immoral practices in 19th century and abolished it with a war.
But they were stupid enough to not deport black ex slaves back to africa, so black animosity and just hatred is still prevelent in their pathetic excuse for a country.

That's kind of true that way. Except of course not all whites played a part in it and the whole process began with other blacks enslaving their ancestors and selling them off across the Atlantic.

In the UK blacks achieve better educational results than whites. Yes, thats controlling for class, and no there are no affirmative action schemes or minority scholarships available

Those blacks are an exceptional fringe, the UK doesn't nearly as many blacks as the US. The UK is more selective with immigrants. It's kinda the same scenario with East Asians in the US with the stereotype of the smart Asian.

>In the UK blacks achieve better educational results than whites
Extremely misleading statement.

But we did deport some to Africa, even founded a country called Liberia which wound up mimicking slavery for other blacks. We didn't have an empire like Britian so colonization would have been fiscally devastating, it was damaging for Britian but their shear power and resources offset the negative effects.

Without trying to be inflammatory, the non-redistribution of plantations basically fucked them and they wouldn't have been productive enough/let alone by poor whites/not simply tricked out of their land anyway.
Jim Crow, as opposed to the high school smoke and mirrors show we get, simply prevented the naturally impoverished blacks from getting white tax funds and vice versa, along with the segregation of public transport which was the scene for your activism because even by the 60s, whites were very pro-property. This led to mass migration to urban centers which caused the ghettos, not specific designation there, though you can allege that was the case in many cities after the Civil Rights Act, especially Chicago, Seattle, Boston, which are now ruled by their black vote.

You can't garner any objective feedback from any education system because its run by the government and people, especially women (teachers) aren't objective. Give me standardized IQ scores or fuck off with your abberitional "information".

Is it as bad as I've heard?

It would depend on the teacher, but on average expect extremely high amounts of bias. It often boils down to "Fuck whitey, poor blacky".

they basically got thrown out inton the world with nothing and knowing no valuable skills since they'd been uneducated slaves, and nobody was willing to help or hire them, plus segregation and systematic racism.

Some just starting farming tobacco and demanding to be able to buy slaves, not indentured.

It's only that if your Uni is dumb. Every Afro-American history course focuses on what Blacks did for themselves, rather than what white people did the Black people. They mention it, but mainly as the circumstances that Blacks lived in. The focus of most scholarship these days is trying to emphasize the agency and autonomy of Blacks under slavery.

>blacks move to the cities looking for work during ww2
>get fired immediately after
>whites get fat housing subsidies to let them move out of the cities
>now inner city communities have no jobs, saved wealth, or investments
>black nationist movements and civil rights make moves toward organizing black communities
>government declares war on both and shuts them down while deporting most blacks into easily controlled projects
>decides to end the black threat by dumping drugs into the communities they set up to fund the government and break up black families
>act surprised when it all goes to shit
>blacks still dumb enough to believe that the government cares

It's easy to blame wypipo but really most of the damage was done by the government. If you speak to the now elderly blacks raised in the 40s and 50s their entire social outlook is different.

>when Grug do good because Grug good
>when Grug do bad, because various complex socio-economic factors at play

>implying the government hasn't acted upon the opinions and wishes of white elites for decades

>Le nigger xD

I see your mum hasn't caught you yet.

>"black people are shit because white people made them that way"
In America they did though senpai. I know it makes you pissy but there's heavily documented proof that American blacks have been shit on purposefully for almost two centuries now.

pretty much this.

Man I wish most southerners were abolitionists. Fucking Greyback, secessionist pieces of shit. Watching the South fall apart year by year warms my Yankee heart you fucking traitors.

>This led to mass migration to urban centers which caused the ghettos, not specific designation there

Whites were land owners and rather than take their land and apportion it/claim it by the federal government they simply let southerners take back over stewardship of the real estate. This intentionally locks black people from owning property in towns owned by defeated secessionists. They also destroyed any effort by blacks to congregate in their own towns without burning them down.

There were also specific, targeted discrimination in housing policies during the growth of suburban america. If you do that, the leftover black population has very little option of where else to go and still receive basic services besides ghettos inside cities where immigrant populations used to live. It's not the fault of all of white america but it is and was being done systematically and on purpose.

youtube.com/watch?v=UA0XGVjQtQM

"blacks" doing better in the UK is a legitimately not impressed when you really look into it. Black Caribbeans are noteworthy for being just as bad as American blacks.

>Alt Hype
It's not too late for you user. You could be a normal member of society if you step away from this stuff and go outside

>the whole process began with other blacks enslaving their ancestors and selling them off across the Atlantic.

And who bought the slaves+and devised chattel slavery?

>it was damaging for Britian

What?

Does this nigger have anything of value to say? I'm starting to see this same pattern of reply by this guy all the time. Does he understand people hate him?

They had a good thing going in New Orleans.
But then then...

Black author talking about how fucked blacks were socially after slavery ended. I believe this was written in late 1800s/early 1900s.

>They should've stayed in their shithole continent.
Yeah, if only there wasn't something that happened that made them leave

Such a fucked up time in an otherwise prosperous society. Imagine the relief when you realised you were just light skinned enough to pass. Just waiting to be old enough so you can move to a different state and set up life as a white person, tell everyone your Greek or something