Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just lift these 30 lb dumbbells until I can't lift no mo' and skip all the...

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just lift these 30 lb dumbbells until I can't lift no mo' and skip all the heavy bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

jap.physiology.org/content/jap/121/1/129.full.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you dont max out your dumbell weight your arms will get dinosaur bones in them and palientologists will be digging in your arms like jurrassic park and there will be dinosaur bones that they are going to find just so younknos

How tf am I supposed to squat with dumbells?

I mean fuck, front squats might work if you hold em' right but thats cucking your gains right there>

For the most part though DYEL beginners can get away with dumbell only exercise for the first few months, but they'll have to AT LEAST move onto EZ bar curls for bicep gains if they care at all.

It's cardio and cardio kills your gains.

never thought of that
bulgarian split squats feel good with dumbbells or yeah repping out front squats. maybe some lunges and reverse lunges. goblet squats. there are many ways to hit the quads.
cardio improves vo2max output thus making your system more efficient.

Eventually, the load will become so submaximal that you'll need crazy amounts of volume to make any gains. It's inefficient

I disagree. You can do many things to make even 30 lb dumbbells feel challenging for a long long time. More reps, slower reps, deeper stretch, hard muscle contractions, etc.

For larger muscle groups, I still feel that it would be too easy after a while, though who can say until someone has tried it

I think what most people would do is a half ass rep or two, go "it's too light" and move up. But if you really were intent on cranking out 20 reps or so and doing them in a way that's as challenging as you can, I'm certain you'd think differently. Some guys maybe not like are you a world class elite powerlifter? Okay. But for most dudes this would work. You have a point about efficieny. If you're counting seconds in your day it wouldn't work. But I can always find a little more time for lifting.

They will be useless after half a month to a couple of months depending on the exercise. That is, if you work out with a proper program with progressive overload.

>progressive overload
There is more than one way to overload the muscle.

Because you won't make as much progress and you'll only end up exhausted.

>tfw skelly
>lift 28 lb dumbbells
>can do a set of 10, sometimes 15 reps of curls before stopping
>usually go 4 sets of 10 or maybe 2 sets of 15 and one set of 10
>know that even doing these, its still pathetically low weight that even women do and just feel humiliated seeing my arms getting a little bigger because i know these are so low weight, that imagine how stick-like i was before if im showing some arm gains with these

I'll make good progress and build endurance.

I see a lot of dudes and dudettes who can lift a shitload of weight who look small. Bigger numbers =/= bigger. Eat big and overload the muscles to get big.

I know, recently I saw an image about that. Still, they will become useless fast due to the fact that there's only so much you can do before entering the endurance range.

There's been studies which show good strength and muscle size gains within endurance rep ranges. When you're lifting to fatigue your muscles don't know how much weight is being used. Maybe it's not totally optimal but the difference is less than you think.

Mind showing me the studies? It's not that you can't fatigue your muscles, but there's a different mechanism at play, like sprinting vs. marathoning. Still if that's true, why not simple use heavier weights and save time?

Why risk your form breaking down and getting injured for trivial gains? Do you need to save a few extra minutes that badly? And maybe this is just me but I feel like hitting my muscles from all angles with a variety of different liftswhen using light weight but when going heavy I only do a small handful of lifts and I'm usually too burnt out to even do accessories.

relevant study

jap.physiology.org/content/jap/121/1/129.full.pdf

Will read, thanks. From what I see the high reps were up to 25, so my point of the weight becoming useless still stands. Also, I wonder how well trained were the participants.

No need to risk form if you have proper form. It wouldn't be extra minutes. You can hit different angles with heavier weights. You need to have proper programming if you're so 'burnt out' that you can't do accesories.

Not to be mean, but you sound like a pussy or someone who is stuck with light weights. Lifting heavy-ass shit is extremeley rewarding and fun if done properly.

> my point of the weight becoming useless still stands
Well sure I guess but the study doesn't further your point. They did up to a 25rm to failure. They did not try to make the weight harder on themselves.
> No need to risk form if you have proper form
pffffft hahaha no. heavy lifting is extremely hard on your joints and cartilage. I don't anybody who has lifted heavy for any considerable period of time who hasn't badly snapped their shit up.
> Not to be mean, but you sound like a pussy or someone who is stuck with light weights
Well I have 14 plates, a full power rack, a flat bench and adjustable dumbbels at my disposal. I could snap you like a twig.

Now I don't know if you're memeing, but let me entertain you.

>pffffft hahaha no. heavy lifting is extremely hard on your joints and cartilage. I don't anybody who has lifted heavy for any considerable period of time who hasn't badly snapped their shit up.
With proper form it's not likely. Going by that statement and the fact that you have heavy weights, you're either:
a) a pussy
b) you snapped your shit up and blame heavy weights

And the study may not further may point but still, light weights are a fucking meme. Fine, you don't like lifting heavy, then stay in the 8-12 rep-range and do yourself a favor.

>I could snap you like a twig.
Also, this highly sounds like a meme but my current 5RM are 455 squat, 520 dealift, 260 bench. I'm also a brown belt in BJJ, and recently dived into MMA. I'm 6'3" 230 lbs, too. So good luck with that.

>With proper form it's not likely
it's not likely maintaining proper form with increasingly heavier weights.
> a) a pussy
>b) you snapped your shit up and blame heavy weights
I'm neither bitch boy. What you gonna do about it? Fucking nothing. Drop the tough guy talk you panzy ass bitch. Heavy weight don't make you tough.
> Fine, you don't like lifting heavy, then stay in the 8-12 rep-range and do yourself a favor
No I'll do myself a favor and laugh at your retarded ass. ahahahahaha faggot

Mmh, now I'm not even sure you're the name user.

>it's not likely maintaining proper form with increasingly heavier weights.
Why not pussy-boy?

Do you consider 8-12 reaps heavy or were you just going off the 'favor' thing?

>Heavy weight don't make you tough.
It sure doesn't by itself, but couple with other stuff it does. Also, avoiding it makes you soft.

Fuck nigger at least do body weight and supplement your training with curls and weighted squats or in your case Bulgarian split squats.

> avoiding it makes you soft
no it makes me smart. you get outbenched by a 135 lb little girl. don't tell me about being soft you bitch ass cuck.

What kind of bodyweight? I'm 6'2 200 lbs and all bodyweight exercises are easier without weight. I can do pull ups and dips with a db between legs but why would I do that? I have a dip belt.

No, it makes you a soft pussy. You're not smart because you can't have good form and fuck your shit up, that makes you a retard.

Yeah Jen is pretty cool, total respect. She hits them heavy-ass weights, unlike you, who I outbench.

and not* fugg

Right so Ronnie Colemen. Louie Simmons, Mark Bell, etc. All not smart ?

> Yeah Jen is pretty cool, total respect
I would too since she's absolutely tiny and can outbench most men. That being the case, why lift heavy again?

Yeah, I don't consider them to be smart. They pushed boundaries in order to become the best of the best, and I bet they knew the risks the took. Besides, don't compare us plebs lifting relatively light weight (more so you) to them, who were enhanced, which adds the factor of muscles developping faster than other tissue.

You're asking why lift again beceause a female is stronger? That's stupid, plus I'll probably outbench her in less than a year. What about you?

Too heavy for cardio gains, too light for muscle gains. Also enjoy tendonitis and rsi.

low-weight high rep is actually the best thing you can do to workout in a sustainable manner past 25-30. You can definitely built an aesthetic physique.
you won't get huge nor build insane strength, but these are not mandatory fitness goals, whatever some Veeky Forumstards may say

> You're asking why lift again beceause a female is stronger
No I'm saying if a tiny female can outlift most men by lifting heavy weight, then maybe lifting heavy isn't the best way to build big strong muscles. Maybe you should focus more on building the muscle than on moving a bigger number and maybe the best way to do that is by lifting light weight.

Hi OP I've been lifting with 25s for two months and I've seen some noticeable gains but pretty much leveled out at 4x20 for most excercises
Look up sarcoplasmic vs myofribrillar hypertrophy, you will make your existing muscles more efficient but won't get much bigger
Since I'm on a budget I plan on getting some 40s and doing it all again until I max that out
It's not the most efficient way but it's still something

Yeah I know the difference but keep in mind how or why is best to build either isn't conclusive and I linked a study challenging conventional wisdom which shows strength and muscle mass gains on a 25rm full body routine here I think a lot of people, particularly those who haven't made exceptional gains or those who struggle to remain pain free, should strongly consider a light weight routine.

lmao what even