Thomas Sankara

Was he a good guy, or was he just better than other African dictators?

He seems to have genuinely cared about the people of Burkina Faso, however, he also imprisoned, executed, tortured, etc. thousands of "counter-revolutionaries"

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/6528
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Françafrique
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Killing Sankara was a mistake.
The French are a cancer in Africa

>He seems to have genuinely cared about the people
That's how they all start out user

sankara was great he created wakanda n shiet nigga it wuz a paradise n shiet he was gonna bring back egypt n shiet then wypipo came n stole all are astrology mathematics and art

No
The ones who care about their people perish and those who follow pretend to be like them.

He was literally the black Robespierre.
Incorruptible and utterly convinced that he was morally in the right.

Oh, boy. I can see nothing wrong will happen with that attitude.

Are you serious though? Chinese Mokou not related.

It's not bad if you legitimately are right
considering the politics of his sucessors, he may very well have been.

the fuck u trynna say whiteboi

>He was literally the black Robespierre.
Was Sankara autistic?

He's only revered because he got killed before he could majorly fuck up.

He's just one of those commie dictators who still get worshipped by Westerners to this day because they were killed before they could do too much damage.

Imagine how lionized Chavez would have been by the modern left if he was killed in the 2002 coup.

He was the G.O.A.T, even Nkrumah was corrupt and greedy compared to him.

Now Burkina's students are unable to make a debate with Macron with intelligent questions, they ask questions with an advanced academic formulation but no real backgrounds.

These Burkinabese are mostly the slaves of France and the west right now, they stop the classes because of a 4 years old French president, this same president then makes a jokes about air conditioning and the actual Burkina's president, showing to the world that nobody respect Burkina.

The literacy rate is 37.7%

He was a commie who got what he deserved for not aligning with America

When other dictators claim credit for humanitarian reforms and economic growth they are rightly greeted with skepticism, yet this doesn't apply to Sankara on /leftypol/ and r*ddit.

After its famine Burkina Faso had hit rock bottom, rather like a stock with good fundamentals dragged down by panic selling, it could only go up. Also his rise to power was facilitated by Gaddafi whomst he shilled and he was a commie when the cold war was coming to a close. Blaise Compaoré was quite correct in ordering the extirpation of the Libyan clique after accepting all the funding from Gaddafi, the accusation that he was a "globalist shill" is also untrue, though no angel he was a very astute politician and strategist who maintained his independence from the fr*nk and by extension his holdings (Burkina Faso).

I suppose this is difficult for plebeians to understand. The hyena that acts like a lion won't keep the lion's share, it will just become an extra helping. Instead hyenas tease the lions, harrying back and forth, laughing and mocking, until the lion's frustration exceeds its hunger. One day the old lion will falter and reveal its weakness and share the same fate as the delusional hyena. To gain power in the real world you play to your strengths. Learn the african wisdom of the lion and the hyena.

Just another Mugabe in the making. If Ian Smith had Mugabe assassinated early on he would noe be venerated by leftist FAGGOTS in the same fashion.

He was a cool guy who improved life for his nation and didn't leave it corrupted warlord ruin like most of africa.
For a communist, he was pretty based.

Is that the guy from Men in Black?

No, it's the rapper Fresh Prince.

He was the best guy
Too bad he pissed off the Eternal frog and their capitalist pig dog masters

If he was loved so much by the people, why did his murderer (and successor) remain in office for so long?

Was he right?

I've literally never heard anyone praise communism here other than people from ex or currently commie countries.

Yes
For exemple, because the SS were ideologically and politically trained, they thus weren't criminals

>nazism
>real ideology

Murican and French guns

you typed three paragraphs and your only argument was "he was friends with Gaddafi".

Not necessarily, giving soldiers political motivation just gives them an excuse for crimes.

He was genuinely one of the best leaders in modern african history but it helps that he got killed before power corrupted him.

What a load of bullshit.

Very noice

?

Well that's basically why he got assassinated in the first place. There's a reason why the French pushed so hard for the toppling of Gadaffi's regime. Gotta keep Francophone Africa weak for resource extraction.

NOW someone that understand the greediness of the French who makes Francophone Africa poor.

>the Eternal Frog ruining everything again

Fucking faggots trying to overcompensate for 1940. How many times have they fucked something up because they wanted to prove to the world they were still relevant?

pretty much everyone fucked over their colonies on the way out
even the belgians managed to give congo one last dickpunch while leaving

It's all right here
>t is understood that France has clear
economic interests at stake

>This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency
based on the Libyan golden Dinar. This plan was designed to provide the Francophone African Countries with an
alternative to the French.franc (CFA)

>According to these
individuals Sarkozy's plans are driven by the following issues:
a. A desire to gain a greater share of Libya oil production,
b.Increase French influence in North Africa,
c. Improve his intemai political situation in France,
d. Provide the French military with an opportunity to reassert its position in the world,
e. Address the concern of his advisors over Qaddafi's long term plans to supplant France as the dominant power in Francophone Africa)
That's the worst part. Idk why Frog's think that bullying some poor ass Desert/Jungle shit hole shows that they still have clout. Their the country equivalent of the old ass dude that drives a Ferrari due to their insecurity of growing old. Shit's just sad and unnecessary

you're right, but the liberal narrative that it was formal colonisation that was the only problem and after that the West has been helping Africa is also a lie. After colonisation, the West has continued to exploit African nations, they just do it through """""free"""" trade

>4th biggest producer of gold in Africa
You know why the frogs did it

and not to mention the countless cold war era dictatorships they set up that were more harmful than colonization and the slave trade combined

>Libya
>Mali/Azawad
>Burkina Faso
>Vietnam
>Algeria
Anyone else more knowledgeable about African affairs want to contribute?

Don't forget their part in the Suez Crisis.

>Without Africa, France will have no history in the 21st century”- Mitterand

Probably by Western standards, but by African standards that makes him the cream of the crop

interesting, any other wikileaks or similar about modern day policy towards africa?

well OG Robespierre was pretty much autism personified

There is a book called "The Looting Machine: Warlords, Oligarchs, Corporations, Smugglers, and the Theft of Africa's Wealth"

I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of anyone who didn't fuck over their colony on the way out except for America and the Philippines. Out of every one, that's the ONLY one I can think of where they actually built a nation and then left it be peacefully without being forced out.

What the fuck, Europe? Why did you have to be a massive dick to everyone you tried to rule?

>Nigeria (Support to the Biafra rebellion, then today they send soldiers to fight Boko Haram)
>Ivory Coast
>Rwanda
>Somalia's coasts
>Congo in the 60s
>Chad
>Zaïre
>Central African Republic

Forget it. The french have a weird relationship with Africa ; They consider it their domain, like America does with South America. There's not a single war or rebellion where they don't have their part in it. There's also many countries that I have not listed, because France keeps the peace and prevents any war by maintaining strong dictatorships loyal to them in place (Like in Gabon or Dijoubti) ; If the local dictator tries to complain about Paris' power, then he's repleaced.

My father is a lieutenant-colonel in the 28th Geographical Group regiment ; Every month, for a week, he goes to a new african country where he meets local officers and draw maps of the region and its infrastructures. It is impressive how much the french officials consider Africa their own ; It is easy to not just recently with president Macron's visit to Burkina Faso : He joked, in front of cameras : "When [The President of Burkina Faso] will have repaired the air conditionning [Of the room he gave a speech in], he'll get to complain about the Franc CFA."

Yes, because the Franc CFA is the major complaint of african countries under France's boot ; Imagine that the man from Cameroon or Senegal has to buy his bread with money that is printed in Paris.

well to be fair, it's not like the black colonies that left on their own managed great things
just look at the shitstorm that was and still is Haiti

>you have a choice between preserving the Frenchman or the Negro
I would have chosen the Frenchman as well.

Nah not on wikileaks that I know of.
But you can search their database for emails relating to Africa and other stuff.
Tbh, Wikileaks is a gold mine for stuff like this, best primary sources that provide an insight into elite perspectives on all global affairs. They even have an email with Hillary Clinton telling a Rothschild that Hillary owes the Rothschild somethings. Shits spooky

Shit's just sad mang.
Hopefully the Chinese can come in and give the Africans a power to hedge against the French with

No. That's the whole contrary.
The Chinese are just as greedy as the french ; But at least the greed of the frog is countered by their necessity to maintain the region stable. The Chinese are buying large plots of lands in Africa that are entirely reserved for their own market. They're not interested in building schools, or teaching language (Without going into the "muh noble colonisation" lie, it is true that the french care about the french language and how important it is in Africa), they don't care about sending soldiers to fight islamist extremists or care for the health of the locals. China only cares for Africa's ressources, their ore, their iron, their gold. They invest for infrastructure only so long that they can move goods.

Would have made zero difference in regards to Africa because Africa problem are genetic.

You really think Cuba would be some advanced first world country with or without Castro succeeding in his revolution? Thats what I thought.

Unironically yes.
Do you not understand how embargos work you simpleton?

For a commie shithole, Cuba has been relatively successful precisely because Castro was white.

not a wikileak, but the Divide by Jason Hickel is great. It's more about Development in general and how it favours the west, but there's a good chapter on Africa.

>“in the Western imagination, Africa is stereotyped as a continent plagued by corrupt dictators, with the supposition being that Africans are perhaps too ‘primitive’ to appreciate the virtues of Western-style democracy. But the truth is that ever since the end of colonialism, Africans have been actively prevented from establishing democracies. The legacy of strongman rule in Africa is a Western invention, not an indigenous proclivity.”

>gaddafi was a good guy!
>all his propaganda was 100% true and anything said against him, even finding his intact rape dungeon is 100% false!
real edgy but bullshit

My argument is that you should ply the same skepticism towards sankara as you would any other dictator and I gave 1 example of this, the increase in food production was not communist magic, merely the recovery from a famine. With this to go on you can easily do your own research.

If I had to do that for you I'd be writing an entire essay just to get 1 line replies from shills with no intention of presenting a reasonable argument, just nitpicking tiny details and not advancing the discussion 1 logical step.

Literally everywhere else in the world suffers from tyranny.

You have 1 hour to explain what makes Africa so superior as to be immune to tyranny and why any tyranny there is due to the white man.

Ghaddaffi was a good guy. Libya was the only African country with no hunger while he ruled.

Nigga how is a classified email sent from Hillary Clinton's aide Sydney Blumenthal sent to the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton considered propaganda? How dense do you have to be motherfucker.

>literally another african country right next to it with apparently no hunger on that map
"""only"""

you don't actually believe the chinese give a flying fuck about Africans right?

Nah but at least the Chinese don't topple dictators for resource extraction or ideological reasons like the French and Americans.

>implying tyrannies are bad for developing countries

99% of Europe's greatest achievements were done when they were ruled by "tyrannies"

no dictator has went against their wishes yet

Eh Haiti had the problem that their critical leader was killed right when he was needed, caught in a genocidal campaign (read about those French generals, they killed all blacks later in the war), surrounded by hostile nations that limited trade potential. I mean do you think southern Americans would willingly let former slaves trade in their ports?

Innocent until proven guilty.
Until they actually do, there's no reason to say that they aren't better than the French and the Americans

>Do you not understand how embargos work you simpleton?
Speaking of embargoes, the cubans have really done some cool shit with their forced isolation.
National intranet, 100% organic agriculture, open-source everywhere, reeealy good medicine all things considered, etc.
Hmm, Tunisia, i wonder what happened there...

BTW, there is also a book that proves that pre-colonial African politics is not as "primitive" as we think, and can be use in modern situation.

It's called "Indigenous African instituion"

>open-source everywhere
Like all Cubans are on Linux and shit?

Colonization was a mistake, Europeans should've just kept building ports and fighting over who controls the sea instead of diving into the heart of Africa, the cons completely outweight the pros

It also didn't help that Haiti's economy was 100% cash crops prior to independence and the plantations simply didn't work without slavery

industrialized european nations were literally to wealthy and powerful for their own good

Gov. PC's atleast, yeah.
They contribute to foss stuff a lot(also, fighting cancer)

Here is a review of the book on goodreads :

>This book gives an overview of Indigenous African Institutions. It's to demonstrate the ancient tools can be used to govern.

>Ayittey, is completely disgusted with the despotic authoritarian dictators that corrupted many of African countries. He also argues against the silence of Western governments to more openly criticize these regimes who instead send all kinds of ineffective financial and food aid to African nations. He argues that this is a form of "Politically Correct" racism that comes from guilt around slavery- don't criticize terrible black leaders because of fear of being called a racist, instead just blindly send financial aid.

>Another point that stands out is the authoritarian nation-state arrangement as it is organized today, for the most part, is not an indigenous African institution. He demonstrates how most Africans make semi-nomadic tribal affiliation so the legal and social infrastructure like courts, ownership, and communal decisions were better managed through these smaller units. The national despots have taken over simply by force to fill the void that the West demands to have a large nation-state.

>What was most interesting was the descriptions of the combination of consensus based policy making with monarchical rulers. Ayittey describes many instances of how the monarch of a tribe is balanced by advisors that are elected by other families, and how the general population can participate in communal discussions. Essentially the monarch, which could be king or queen, is not so far removed from the people. A monarch's power has another safeguard because his/her advisors are not related to the ruling family and represent people throughout the tribe. Although not purely democratic these systems have checks and balances. He offers interesting alternatives to the hegemonic assumption that nation-states is the only way to organize politically.

>western economies shit on you
>ally with the east
>"wtf bro what are you doing why would you betray us"

What on Earth makes you think I'm going to read all that?

I suspect the French were behind Gadaffi's overthrow but doesn't Blumenthal only cite an "unnamed source" I'm that email?

Good, it's very good, I hope Africa would contribute to FOSS, because they need to be independent. Using privates software makes them dependent and watched.

>le marxist third world thug xD
Kill yourself.
Veeky Forums is not for Marxist bullshit.

Nor is it for /pol/ack troglodytes
True, but it's the closest thing to a primary source we're going to get. History is based on the interpretation of imperfect sources

All soldiers are criminals.

what did France get from overthrowing Gadaffi other than a migrant crisis?

It's too long to give you an in depth explanation of why the French did what they did and it'll do you no favors in the long run spoonfeeding you the basics. But I'll point you in the right direction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Françafrique

Gaffadi kept fucking with their control of Africa.

Particularly because they kept invading Chad, which was Francophone.

that sounds great, will check it out thanks

As a leader, yeah he's a great person I guess.

As a communist? I wouldn't call him "good". Like most post-WW2 communist leaders, he probably lacked any knowledge in theory or didn't have chances to read Marx's work.

>dood china is helping africa trust me

see

>the based yellow man is impervious to such sins that white devils commit

This is the same people that frequently killed each other by the millions in a ridiculously short amount of time and ate each other by the tens of thousands.
This is the same people that blame famines on the birds and wipe out a species which killed millions of themselves.

That is marginally better though