What were some of the battles that had one of the largest impact on history?

What were some of the battles that had one of the largest impact on history?

Other urls found in this thread:

homepages.uc.edu/~martinj/Latin/Roman_Population/Frank - Roman Census Statistics.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Battle of Stalingrad is probably #1 in modern history.

The Conquest of the Aztec Empire was the most significant event in world history.

If the Spanish had lost, they would have remained in the Carribean and not explored the rest of the Americas and European powers would have held off from doing the same for centuries; additionally, no Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, and who knows how native Americans would have developed.

if this battle never happened France and Germany would not exist. The eternal Anglo would rule the world unopposed.

Nope. Nothing comes close to the Marne. Even in WW2 I'd rate Moscow above Stalingrad.

England wasn't even involved in that battle though

The eternal Anglo would rule the world because France and Germany would not exist to stop them

Why? It wouldn't change the outcome in the end.

>If the Spanish had lost, they would have remained in the Carribean and not explored the rest of the Americas and European powers would have held off from doing the same for centuries
What the fuck are you basing that on? North America isn't entirely New Spain so I really don't know why the British and French would stop because some wogs lost to Mexicans

I just noticed how terrible kid proportions are on this fountain. it's like it was designed by the same dude who made all Soviet statues featuring masculine manly men soldiers
actually I just looked him up and he had some great art, no idea what the fuck went wrong with that one. also fountain is rebuilt now and looks way better to say the least

England would be as weak and irrelevant as Scandinavia if the French hadn't civilized it in 1066

So without France, no strong England either

Battle of Salamis. Put simply, if the Persians are allowed to conquer Greece, western civilization as we know it ceases to be.

The Siege of Vienna.
I'm not even a Pole, but that shit is legit important.

The battle of Manzikert is definitely up there.

battle of tours is important
vienna wasn't, even if turks captured it that wouldn't mean shit

Up there but not top 5. Had it happened under a long-standing Emperor it would have been tossed with the other defeats the Romans had during those time that everyone forgets

Salamis.

>battle of tours is important
It really isn't. Tolouse 11 years earlier was way more important just for the Frankish-Umayyad wars, but nobody ever talks about that one because it didn't have the Carolingians stamping their mark all over it. If you really want to talk about an important battle between Christianity and Islam in the 8th century or thereabouts, the sieges of Constantinople are where it's at.

Las Navas De Tolosa is a other one people forget.

Battle of Manzikert
Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa
Battle of Actium

Milvian Bridge is up there. Perhaps the sole reason europe is mainly christian

It was a major propaganda and strategic victory because it denied Germany access to the caucus oil fields.

Second Punic War.

Imagine how different European history would be if Carthage funded Hannibal and didn't essentially abandon him during his passes through Italy. The Battle of Cannae saw the romans lose an estimated 25% of its male population. He could have stamped out Rome itself so early in its history. Instead, even after 3 catastrophic defeats with 3 nearly completely destroyed armies, Rome managed to pull through and defeat one of its greatest threats in all its history.

>Imagine how different European history would be if Carthage funded Hannibal and didn't essentially abandon him during his passes through Italy.
Not at all, because it's not like the attempts that they did make to supply him got through except for that tiny dribble of 4,000 men.

>The Battle of Cannae saw the romans lose an estimated 25% of its male population.
Are you completely ignorant of the censuses of antiquity, or are you juts lying? Cannae featured 4 Roman legions and 4 Alae legions. Even if all 42,000 or so actual Romans present were killed or captured, that makes up about 15%.

homepages.uc.edu/~martinj/Latin/Roman_Population/Frank - Roman Census Statistics.pdf

> He could have stamped out Rome itself so early in its history.
Then explain his failure to take Nola right after Cannae, and the reasoning you use to determine how he could have taken Rome itself.

You do know that the conquest of the Aztek empire was pretty much a private enterprize by Cortez which the king of Spain only made legal after the fact. IIRC Cortez was actually at the time a criminal and fugitive from the law. The governor of Cuba even sent a force to bring him to justice but his chadlike charisma resulted in the vast majority of them defecting to his side.

You're right I forgot if it was a higher number or a lower number so i gave it a quick google and i must've read the wrong page.

I also had no idea about Nola, I hadn't heard of it before now but I'm really interested in more reading for it.
Really i was referring to the defeats at Trasimene, Trebia, and Cannae as reference to his skill against Roman generals. Plus I read the topic wrong, this is an entire war and not just a pivotal battle so I am in the wrong thread entirely lol

Not him but 15% is a ridiculous amount killed in just one battle. You'd also need to keep in mind that Cannae wasn't the only battle in which Hannibal slaughtered vast numbers of romans.
The truly exceptional part of the war was imo Scipio's huge sucesses in the iberian and then later on african theatre of the war.
Rome would likely have won even without Scipio but it would have been a much more slow and drawn out affair that possibly left Carthage in a much better end state.

>European powers thinking of going to Americas
>See Spanish economic and political failures

Spains's success in the Americas was the motivation for other European powers to start their own voyages

Exactly. If Cortes had failed, Spain would've been hard pressed on sending any other "explorers" or conquistadors to mainland Americas.

Waterloo

British history at least.

The battle of Hastings 1066

Quite the opposite. If a couple of hundred guys almost managed to topple an empire that's wealthy beyond belief every european power and their irrelevant neighbor would be incentivized to send a small army into the region to try to break off as big a piece of the cake as possible.

>718
>Arabs besiege Constantinople (again)
>Byzan send envoy to Bulgaria for help
>Khan Tervel realises the siege wouldn't end with Constantinople and would spell doom for Europe
>Bulgar army plays huge part in battle
>Siege ends and Arabs fuck off indefinitely
"Had a victorious Caliph made Constantinople already at the beginning of the Middle Ages into the political capital of Islam, as happened at the end of the Middle Ages by the Ottomans — the consequences for Christian Europe would have been incalculable." - some german guy

Alésia was a pretty big deal for the gaulois and roman empire

this the siege of costantinople by arab was much more important that the battle of tours if the last defence would have fallen europe would be islamic today

one of the most epic battle in history

Found the bulgarshit.

Shoo

Your making it sound like the Bulgars were the 8th century Winged Hussars which is not the case. The Byzantines were the ones who did the majority of the fighting against the Arabs, the Bulgars helped but only when the Arabs started foraging for food in Bulgar lands.

Battle of Warsaw 1920

>The Fr*nch lies are supported by satan
It all makes sense

If there were just a couple hundred guys fighting the Aztecs, they would have died. In fact more than a couple hundred Spanish died in combat in just a few years and that's with tens of thousands of native allies.

The original was removed, in WW2 that's the 2013 replica.

The Original was removed following WW2, that's the 2013 replica*
Fuck me.

This. I saw this thread in the catalog and clicked on it with Battle of Stalingrad in mind

Battle of Pharsalus was on the knife's edge between Pompey winning and the Republic continuing, or with Caesar winning, paving the way to the Ides of March, Augustus, the Roman Empire and therefore the modern world.

Please. Sulla's purges and their effects disappearing as soon as Sulla left showed that the Republic was a dead letter as long as military figures were the real power because the Legions themselves were the real power base of the Republic. Even if Pharsalus leads to a permanent loss for Caesar, the idea that with him gone, the Republic would go on fine is laughable. Someone else with enough ambition and military ability would be along soon enough.

In the 20th century:

Verdun
Stalingrad
Midway
Inchon
Dien Bien Phu
Hue

I never said that it was just a couple of hundred who did the fighting, buddy.
I merely highlighted that if a ridiculously low number managed to topple the empire by getting the subjugated peoples to rise up under spanish leadership it's not exactly a wild notion that a proper invading european army, supported by the same amount of local allies, would also have managed it. If Cortez had failed it would likely only have delayed the fall of the Aztecs as the revealed risk-reward ratio would have been too tempting to resist for many of the great powers.

This. The roman obsession with prestige would not have allowed them to put the lid on the newfound levels of power. Someone would eventually become top dog and then take steps to hinder anyone from usurping him.