Any ADHDbros here? How in the name of god do you keep going to the gym? This is the hardest thing I've ever done

Any ADHDbros here? How in the name of god do you keep going to the gym? This is the hardest thing I've ever done.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVhj_phpAYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wm6Ad8qoqjc
russellbarkley.org/factsheets/Consensus2002.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

After you go to the gym for awhile it becomes hard to skip because you built a habit out of it.

A schedule and routine helps in building habits. You can clearly see if you fucked up or did good with them.

youtube.com/watch?v=aVhj_phpAYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wm6Ad8qoqjc

Most exercise programs have gym apps where you journal and it tells you the next day you need to workout to actually fullfill the excercise

ADHD is a meme invented by the jews to sell more pills...

Stop taking them and start fucking being a man, it takes will power to keep going, it has nothing to do with you having "ADHD" just go

Can you please leave the thread and educate yourself? Thank you.

I have it, the gym is the only thing that keeps me sane. Meds fuck with bulking tho, I have no appetite when I take em

I fucking hate lifting, hate working out, hate all of it. You just have to do it.

why do you hate it?

I probably just haven't gotten into it yet. When I was a teenager it was a chore my parents made me do and now I dislike it, but I'm pushing through. Hopefully soon I'll start loving it like the others here.

ADHDbro here, the first few weeks are the hardest. Just keep going and you'll get hooked once you see gainz.

I don't know if this is bait or genuine. Do you realize ADHD is a completly autonomous reaction within a person? I have it and I have a great willpower. I can sit still and force myself to look at a paper for hours straight. I'll be shaking afterwards. I'll look like I've ran for miles, sweating down my back and armpits, I'll stutter, and I'll be tired as shit. Worst of all I'll had read max a few pages. The eyes just jump around on the text. And whenever I read a sentence I'm so spaced out I don't understand its meaning. You entitled piece of shit don't know what it's like being definitively excluded from a majority of good jobs because you simply can't study for it. To be afraid to fail every little piece of education you take. To be forced to eat amphetamine to enjoy a good book. You should be ashamed

the fuck you on about mate?

pop an adderall with your preworkout and lift for the next 4 hours.

just dont jack off after taking it. because then you'll be jacking it for the next 4 hours.

This.
>38 years old
>diagnosed ADHD 1985
>Have written apps for ADHD/autism
>still take meds (Adderall XR)

Here's the crux: you hate being constrained by a routine, but it's the only way you'll get shit done. You have a working memory deficit: you need to give your working memory as little to do as possible to succeed.
Part of that is routine. Once you've developed a habit, that algorithm becomes a single object in working memory. Think of it like this:
>you write out an algorithm
>say it has 5 lines of code
>now you define it as a function e.g. f=(algorithm)
>now whenever you want to call (i.e. "recall/remember" that function, you just call "f"

That seriously lightens the load on your working memory. Unfortunately, your shitty working memory makes it hard for you to develop habits. Here's why:
>you decide you want/need to start going to the gym
>you've thought about all the reasons why you should start, health, body image, confidence, etc. You picture the results. You feel motivated af.
>you decide to start on Monday
>Monday comes. You aren't in the mood. You don't remember all of the things that had motivated you last week. You're distracted by other things. You start thinking about how complicated it will be to go to the gym and get stressed out. You decide to start next Monday.

You need to abstract, or externalise objects for your working memory. You should have written those reasons down. You should have pinned a picture of your goal body to your fridge/monitor/whatever, or a picture of the beach you'll be going to.

1/2

i was diagnosed with "ADHD" as well and took the pills for many years, but one week i decided it was enough and stopped, im better than ever.

Have you ever used a task list? Task lists work for everyone. For normies, they're a helpful tool. For adders, they're vital. But not enough...
For a normie, they might write, "gym; Monday; 6pm", and that's fine for them. They know roughly what they need to do to prepare and that they'll need 20 minutes to do it. All good.
You write the same thing. Monday comes. It's 5:30pm. You decide to get ready. You start thinking about what you need to do. "Shorts", you think. You go to grab shorts but you can't decide what ones (Normie grabbed the first pair before bed last night and put them in his gymbag). You remember you should have eaten something beforehand, but you have no time now. After some Fucking around, you leave at 6pm. Half way there, you realise you forgot to take ID to sign up. You return home. You get to the gym at 6:30pm. You have a shit workout. You had a rough routine in mind, but you can't remember it all and you half-ass it. You decide to shower. You open your gymbag and realise you forgot it.

This is why the normie task list doesn't cut it for you. The normie can juggle all those balls in working memory: You can't.
Your task list should look more like a detailed project plan, with subtasks, e.g.

GYM - MONDAY - 6PM
Sunday
>pack gymbag: towel, shorts, tee, clean underwear, shower gel
>membership: ID, $
>pre-workout: decide what I'll have
Monday
>get home 5:30pm
>pre-workout (10 mins)
>grab gymbag, membership info (5 mins)
>drive to gym (15 mins)

Now, when you get home, you don't have to remember all those tasks. All you have to remember is to check your tasklist (your def f=). Once it becomes routine, you simply call f into working memory and it's all there, no computation necessary. You just replaced multiple objects/tokens with *one*.

This is universal by the way. It can help normies too; they just don't need it so much since they can call more objects into working memory and so perform more complex computations.

2/2

Going to add more on motivation.

You have trouble achieving long-term goals. You want fast results. You miss when Miss Parker used to give you gold stars when you got sums right...this is ADHD. Our reward system is fucked because our dopamine regulation is fucked - that's why we take meds and why our cognitive system is shit without them. It's why you loved/love vidya.
You can't change that. Meds help, a lot, but it'll always be there, so work with it.

You know how bros (rightly) say, you've got to have a plan and you've got to track? Well, I covered planning above, but tracking is just as important.
Want to lose 20lbs? Great! You go to the gym three times; you weigh yourself; you've lost 2lbs; you feel like shit; it's going to take fooorever to look lie Chad; you skip your next session, and the one after that...

You don't just need a deadline. You need milestones. Instead of just saying "I plan to lose 20lbs in 10 weeks", you say "I plan to lose 2lb/week". OK, how? You'll need to burn/cut 7000kcals: How?
Plan how. You could cut 3500 from your diet (so meal plan needed) and burn 3500 (how much does a 20 minute run burn?)
Now you've not only reduced your "time to reward" from 10 weeks to 1; you've reduced it to a day, by having daily calorie counts and by completing your run.

The concept of "time to reward" is critical to managing ADHD, as is breaking up complex tasks into manageable (for your crappy working memory) chunks. You need regular reinforcement. You need to stimulate your reward system more than the average normie. You need to track your progress to remember your progress or you'll forget when you *need* to remember (to motivate yourself).

I write my tasks as algorithms, the same way I code. I even substitute functions for tokens.
I start out by writing in pseudo code and then translate into formal language.
When I have to remember a complicated task, I call the function, and then functions within the function.

t. /pol/

I go 5 days a week and even 6 if I'm in the mood. The only trouble is that I lose count of reps all the time.

Final word...in my experience, vigorous exercise is more effective than meds for ADHD. Most adults with ADHD develop anxiety disorders. Want to know why?
As they grow up, physical hyperactivity is "internalised" and becomes cognitive hyperactivity - restless thoughts, rumination etc. Why? Social norms. As you mature, you realise you can't jump on furniture anymore and still be accepted by society. You're less physically active in general.
If you tire yourself physically, you'll tire yourself mentally. Not exhaustively: just enough to slow things down a little.
I usually do both meds and exercise, especially since I work out in the evenings rather than mornings. I've gone long periods of no meds but working out in the morning.

If the gym still doesn't work out, choose something that stimulates your reward system more frequently. I lift, but I lift for MMA. I'm a black belt in BJJ.
My brain doesn't process BJJ as exercise. It's a game, and it constantly stimulates my reward system. It just so happens that it's one of the best things you can do for cardio, so I get fit without thinking about it. I don't go to class thinking "I have to go so I can look like Chad". I go thinking "I'm going to fucking wreck people today and show some mad skills, and it's going to be fun".
Find that. Find a sport or an activity that's challenging but fun or competitive.

t. butthurt pill addicted manlet

hf with your extra estrogen and lower test

>you decided
No, your brain development caught up with the rest of your body and you didn't need the drugs anymore

Don't think about going to the gym, just pack your bag and leave the house. Everything should be downhill after that. If leaving still feels too difficult, convince yourself that you are only going to do a single exercise. It makes the task feel less overwhelming.
Once you actually arrive at the gym doing a full workout should be a simple task.

LOL

>Posting the ramblings of some christian nut.
>Believing the ramblings of the same nut.

ADHD is as real as autism or depression.
russellbarkley.org/factsheets/Consensus2002.pdf

I organise it in a way that I don't have excuses. I pack my gym bag the evening before and place it right where I put on my shoes so I cannot forget it. I go to gym right after work and I selected a gym that is near my workplace. So I don't need to make extra ways or leave house again after work. Also the days I go to gym my wife cooks dinner and I do the other days. I schedule fixed days and times for gym like "Monday I leave work at 16:30 and then go lifting."

Also, my gym bag contains certain things that NEVER leave this bag unless in gym: membership card, workout journal, ball pen, little ruler

Before vyvanse
>No motivation to gym
>2.3 GPA
>Episodes of depression that would last weeks

Post vyvanse
>look forward to gym
>3.1 GPA
>haven't wanted to die once

8/8 b8 though

This sounds eerily similar to David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD) method.

I've was diagnosed with ADD-Inattentive when I was 5 (I'm 26 now). I took Ritalin then Concerta from ages 7ish to 16. I stopped taking meds because they became relatively ineffective while the side effects made me feel worse and more distant from normal people. I have been off the drugs ever since.

Anyway, I've spent the last 10 years trying different things. Two books have really helped me.

Willpower by Roy Baumeister and Getting Things Done by David Allen. Neither of these are specific to ADHD, but have helped me understand myself quite a bit better. I still have ADD which hurts my ability to look at text and "learn", but I am way way way more productive when it comes to getting myself to get up and do things.

GTD works very much like:

GYM - MONDAY - 6PM
Sunday
>pack gymbag: towel, shorts, tee, clean underwear, shower gel
>membership: ID, $
>pre-workout: decide what I'll have
Monday
>get home 5:30pm
>pre-workout (10 mins)
>grab gymbag, membership info (5 mins)
>drive to gym (15 mins)

The biggest thing is to really have all your decisions made ahead of time. I love to just turn my brain off and *do*. Making decisions all the time wears me out quickly. I strongly suggest reading those books that I mentioned in the order that I listed them to anyone struggling with ADHD and willpower in general.