Pros and cons of SS vs 5 x 5?

Pros and cons of SS vs 5 x 5?

cleans are hard for beginners

A mix is the better option.
Do 5x5, but the first 2 reps are preparation.

1x5 at 50%, 1x5 at 80% and then 3x5 at 100%.

>but the first 2 sets

>3 sets of 5 reps at 100% of your 1 RM

It has to be challenging!

SS is better if you're serious about getting stronger. SL is better if you're a bitch.

SL if you're a pussy (i.e. afraid to do power cleans)
SL if you want to waste weeks by "starting with the bar"
SL if you don't have the attention span to read a 350 page book.
SL if you want to be disappointed because you "stall" when you can't complete 5x5

Started SL not with the bar (I took 50% of my best 5 reps set) and right now I am going into week7 and looking at major plateaus approaching me. Also - people like Jim Wendler will also tell you to start light (even though his 5/3/1 is best suited for intermediate lifters).

Mehdi doesn't say it is necessary, but in my opinion you need to add some excercises to SL. I have added dips and pull-ups, some people suggest adding skullcrashers and some curls as well.

What 'novice intermediate' program is good to switch to after you're done with SS? How is Bill Starr 5x5? Or everyone here keeps going on about 5 day splits?

Is Ice Cream Fitness any good?

>what is a warm up

What is this, 2013 ?

ss 2 5x5 are SHIT programs.. splits are superior in every way unless you don't actually enjoy going to the gym

It's amazing if you want a shittier version of SS that take 2 hours to complete

After you're "done" with SS, the logical option is to switch to the next progression increment.
SS has "daily" progression, so you should look for something with "weekly" progression.

Ayy lmao

ICF can work if you have a lot of time and food and can recover.
But it's not really efficient. The advantage of SS/SL is that it has nothing that you don't necessarily need.
ICF has everything you could maybe need at some point. That maybe sounds good, but you pay a heavy price, which is a lot of time in the gym and very high requirements to your recovery. If you can't eat 5000+ kcal per day and sleep 10+ hours and lift for 2+ hours, don't do ICF.

5/3/1 if you want to find out how much of a weak poundage chaser SS made you.

Do SS

I think either program is good. Not much difference. If you do 5x5 app ignore the progression it suggests. Increase even if you didn't get 5 full sets previously.

So SS is better? Is Rippletits going to kill me if i do highbar squats instead of lowbar?

do a brosplit if you want to get big