Can someone explain to me how the fuck this makes sense?

Can someone explain to me how the fuck this makes sense?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.myfitnesspal.com/eating-calories-lose-weight-ask-dietitian/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just don't pay attention to garbage like that

at this point, I've actually given up thinking that there is any common sense in people's heads. the only people I would even consider explaining diets and workout plans at the moment are my girlfriend, family and my closest friends

fuck all of the rest, honestly. doesn't matter how much you explain to these people, they will NEVER listen to your advice and think bullshit like that shit in OP, even though they are specifically told what the truth is. I've finally accepted that there's no point in making the world be a better place if humanity is retarded as a whole

it doesnt

Retarded fatties believe that your body enters some magical state where you not only retain weight, but put on weight if you eat below a certain threshold. It clearly explains all those over weight prisoners of war you've seen in history.

>but put on weight if you eat below a certain threshold

I've unironically heard this from a girl I know. I actually believed that for a second but only because I thought it had something to do with specific vitamins etc (don't eat vitamins at caloric deficit --> lose less weight than eating more vitamins at caloric deficit). didn't find her explanation anywhere though

it amazes me how retarded people can actually get when it comes to a simple thing as this. you actually can't make this shit up, people will literally imagine and make up things in order to find reasons for NOT losing weight. that's just pathetic. but hey, the more fatties there are, the better we look

>How does this make sense?

it makes sense in that it's the message people want to hear

one hand:
>you need to eat less food to lose weight
other hand:
>you need to eat more food to lose weight

obviously people like eating so they're going to prefer to read articles from "dieticians" who are either ignorant or plainly lie so people feel justified in eating too much (eg: "avoid starvation mode", "eating less actually makes you gain weight", etc)

the best part is when the "diet" inevitably fails, the fatty gets to go around telling people how they tried dieting and it didn't work - thus proving once again that diets don't work and actually break your metabolism

god damnit did i fall for the "you have to eat x calories to lose weight" meme

The meme is your body sheavily slows down digestion and fat burning when you avoid eating for long periods of time. It will attempt to retain weight.

Umm don't you need to eat a lot to have a high metabolism? The higher your metabolic rate, the more calories you burn at rest, the greater your weight loss. Of course focusing on calories is stupid when eating an oreo a day vs a plate of vegetables a day would mean the same caloric intake but one's much better for your metabolism than the other.

what most people fail to do is to keep the calories the same but change the amount of exercise

im somewhat guilty of this myself, when i start doing more activity on a weekly basis i tend to start eating more

Everyone uses starvation mode to justify eating a lot, while starvation mode applies to actually starving and probably only getting one meal a week over the course of like 2 months.

>the more calories you burn at rest
This is why i hate it when people use the word metabolism.
There is two parts to metabolism. Catabolism and anabolism. The higher the rate, the faster your body can break down foods and convert it into usable energy/stored energy/protein used for building/ etc. Having a slow or fast metabolism has nothing to do with weight loss. Its all about how much you eat daily.

high metabolism = your body adapts to high energy demand and consumption (makes you hungry easier)

low metabolism = your body adapts to starvation and low energy demand going to hibernation, like a wolf does

Please stop using the word metabolism if you don't know how it works
Its more like this

your body adapts to high energy demand and consumption (makes you hungry easier) WHICH ALSO MEANS = higher use of energy by every cell = Significantly higher activity = WHICH CAUSES Higher metabolism

low metabolism = your body adapts to starvation and low energy demand going to hibernation, like a wolf does WHICH ALSO MEANS = cell energy used by each and every cell = Significantly lower activity = WHICH CAUSES metabolism to slow down.

this doesn't occur until 3-6 months of heavy caloric restriction, which is something you and other fatties in america have never experienced.

Heavy caloric restriction as in sub 600 a day.

i didn't mean to leave in low metabolism in the beginning there for the last statement.

But yeah, you can increase and slow metabolism by your daily activity. Your metabolism does not dictate your bodies activity, its the other way around

I presume he was describing what the article might be about (the starvation mode meme)
Also it's to be noted that it happens primarly to already underweight people. Fat is energy storage. It makes no sense for the body to die over trying to preserve reserves that are there in case he needs them

the body doesn't save fat, it mobilizes it to meet energy demands.

the real effect from "starvation mode" is the body's demand decreases from a loss of lbm.

The body slows metabolism when in too much of a caloric deficit which can slow down, but not outright halt, weight loss. The optimist in me thinks that's what the article is trying to get at, but the way that the author worded the question is just pants-on-head.

do you like reading fitness blogs more than actual scientific articles?

oops, actually meant for

you are all idiots. the answer is far simpler:

they have an app, the app discourages people from eating less than ~1500 calories a day because it's far easier this way for them PR- and legal wise.

So obviously they need a few apologetic articles to go with that.

It means that your attention span is on par with the vast majority of the teen memesters who replied to your useless thread.

this doesn't even make sense, the body doesn't try to retain weight, it tries to retain its "alive" state by using stored energy in adipocytes so that more important energy sources (eg: muscles, organs) can be spared

when people say the dieting is bad because the body tries to "hold onto weight" or something to that effect, I want to ask what they think the purpose of bodyfat even is? it's there to be used for energy (among other things) so then why would your body fight to hold onto it? it doesn't make sense

your body's only real "set point" is "alive"

Just because metabolism slows down doesn't mean you gain weight faster. It slows down due to less food needed to break down and convert. Keeping metabolism in high activity all the time is like having your car engine on 24/7 even when you aren't driving it.

What happens is your body recognizes consistent caloric deficit so it reduces the efficacy of various bodily functions to keep the body alive. It is an evolutionary mechanism for when there were times of too little food in times like winter when only a few plant foods grew, and hunting was difficult due to hibernating animals and minimizing exposure outside.

The thing is that it's drastically overstated by retarded fatties and momblogs. To reach such a state, you need to be in a severe caloric deficit for several months. The average person in a developed country isn't going to hit this unless they're basically hitting consistent anorexia level calories

>doesn't mean you gain weight faster
it doesn't mean you lose weight faster as well. so you end up with not-faster weight loss and possibly fuck up hormonally or nutritionally.
Sadly OP is a faggot, didn't post link and you're posting in a bait thread.
>blog.myfitnesspal.com/eating-calories-lose-weight-ask-dietitian/
>A diet with too few calories may not only hinder weight-loss efforts, but could also make it difficult to meet your daily vitamin and mineral needs, and have an overall negative impact on your health
>As a general rule, most people need at least 1,200 calories

Metabolism has nothing to do with weight loss. I wish people would stop using this word when talking about weight loss. Your metabolism is dependent on caloric intake and also daily activity or TDEE. If there is nothing in your stomach, your body is not going to spend energy to go through metabolism but at the same time it doesn't mean you will gain or lose weight. It just means your body isn't breaking anything down. If there is no external source of resources for your body to break down though, it will start to break down whatever is in your body to convert it to energy for your cells to use. Fat is the last thing that is burned. But if you let your body in a state of significant caloric deficit, your body will convert more food to stored energy (fat).

fpbp

some people will do whatever they can to not lose weight

>Metabolism has nothing to do with weight loss
Sidney Fry, MS, RD,
registered dietitian,
James Beard Award-winning food and nutrition consultant,
dietitian at MyFitnessPal (probably the most used app worldwide for any diet purpose, which constantly suggests 1200 kcal as the bare minimum),
doesn't agree with you and you're missing the whole point of her article EVEN if it has been linked.
In case you're wondering, you're wrong even if you're hiding behind conventional wisdom, per se acceptable (the body will try to use fat; physical activity raises your TDEE)

She goes on suggesting what has been accepted already in literature for quite a while, that is: space your proteins equally between your meals, eating more than 30g of proteins in a sitting doesn't elicit a different anabolic answer.