Reddit fitness do not recommend SL or SS

Reddit fitness do not recommend SL or SS.
>Because they aren't good programs and they create habits that are actively detrimental to long term training progress.
archive.is/qoC3r#selection-1870.0-1870.1

Are they right?
Redpill me on this.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/qoC3r#selection-1870.0-1870.1
reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq
outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>compound barbell movements are detrimental habits
>listening to reddit

>Deadlift 1×5

Sure is summer.

>archive.is/qoC3r#selection-1870.0-1870.1
like the /r/fitness post that thread is full of people going "but I'm 2 months into ss/sl, what do I do now"

Stick with what you are doing for the prescribed time them move on to something else. Take a few moments and read the material on your program instead of basing all your decisions on a few lines from some FAQ you read on the internet.

I've read that post youve linked and I disagree with it.

They claim that: SL and SS are bad as they teach linear progression through lifting weight, and this is bad for long term as it eventually run out

Well no shit.

It is not exactly hard to say "oh I plateaued doing linear progression on weight, but maybe its time for hypertrophy and increasing reps and volume and frequency". And the programs tell you to do this.

If you follow their advice it will take you several years to reach the same strength level as you'd get to in a few months with SS, with the only potential benefit being that you never tickle your autism because you change your routine a couple of times in your lifetime.

I did something similarly retarded when I first started lifting, but luckily read SS in the first week and crunched some numbers and changed it up.

ss is garbage for many reasons but the only ones the linked ledditor got right is shit volume and shit work capacity

Does it really matter? I can still increase weight on it by 5kg each diddly session. Whats the benefit of 5x5 diddly, apart from an increased chance of snapping your shit up through form breakdown?

What do you recommend beginners do? Goal is hypertrophy but solid thicc build in 2 years time.

SS then PPL

jonnie candito's linear program the hypertrophy variant. or alpha destiny's novice program.

i recommend SS then U/L then P/P/L

if you have 2 years then 6 months SS, 6 months U/l, 1 year P/P/L

Build your foundation on SS.

also disregard anyone who reccomends you SS or uses meaningless meme words like foundation as brainded imbeciles

Why. You have yet to explain SS is bad yet immediately jump to YouTube eceleb routines.

Oh, no... they're retarded!

Seriously, their problem with SS is
>but it will frustrate you after 6 months
WTF user! you're supposed to switch to an intermediate routine when that happens! or to one of the bridging beginner/intermediate variations!

Also, does anyone have the pics of those guys that kept on SS for a year or so? They got hench as fuck, but the injury risk was high.

Why change from UL to PPL?

Not him but the groups are better separated in a PPL than UL. Allows for larger volume

>redditposting will never be a bannable offense

Doing anything that stresses your joints and cns is retarded long term. So yes pushing yourself for heavy PRs for low reps is autistic, and so is any program that has you do that long term.

Maybe SS for a month to learn the lifts and your options, then transition to cables, machines and dumbbells for most of the stuff or work with compounds for higher rep ranges.

>You have yet to explain SS is bad
because he's a summerfag who only understands the first and most superficial layer of memery

because i assume that he wants his upper body to be as large as his legs so if he transitions to doing upper 4x/week while doing lower 2x/week then he'll be more proportionate unless he wants yuge legs/gloots for the sloots

also what satan said here

>Reddit fitness

stopped reading there. fuck off back to your safe space you inbred moron.

>Maybe SS for a month
>do this program for a month
>a month is long enough to learn the lifts
ask me how i know you don't lift or have been lifting for less than 2 years

>SS for a month
>transition to cables machine and dumbbells

Now THAT is retarded.

insufficient volume to promote optimal growth in the upport body, limited exercise selection, overly dogmatic approach and lack of flexibility (if you do A youre not doing the program), lack of horizontal pull, lack of direct arm flexor work, lack of abdominal assistence.
no program that lacks a row variant should ever be taken seriously, no wonder mishapen humonculi walk this board who can squat 350 but struggle with sub-2 plate bench

lol

can you show your body?

>Maybe SS for a month to learn the lifts and your options, then transition to cables, machines and dumbbells for most of the stuff or work with compounds for higher rep ranges.
You can do SS for years and still progress. Just not as fast.

Alternative that nobody ever mentions because it's boring, tiring, and as usual works too fucking well:
>SS
>basic Texas Method
>U/L Advanced Texas Method
>stop working with 5s, work on 8s-12s instead
Working on your 12 RM, once you have a great (some might say excessive) strength base, WILL give you results.

post your body with timestamp and maybe i won't thing you're retarded (you are)

>the issues of this program are things that the program creator has stated that the program isn't for

That's like bitching about a bike not having 4 wheels. SS is literally designed to be lower body intensive. It's not designed for upper body to be as developed as lower. It focuses on squats as the primary lift. Even Rippetoe has said before that this is the point. That's not a flaw in the program, that's a flaw in your reasoning and ability to pick a program that works for your needs

this is correct.

also building your lower body is essential to build a strong upper body unless all you do is benchbro and curlbro faggotry and you look like shit anyway and you're weak as fuck unless you have a bench supporting you because your lower body and core strength is absolutely 0

>redpill me
you have to go back my new friend

I'm 30, work a more than full time job and have a kid on the way which is already quite some work getting ready for. I lift twice a week and I stopped lifting "heavy" when I realized cracking joints and joint pain along with reduced nergy throughout the day was on the menu if I kept doing retarded shit.

Fitness is a long term game I want to do while actually living life, not something I do full time for a year and then crash and burn.

Sure thing buddy.

>no timestamp
so you went on instagram or wherever to find a picture to pretend it's you and the best you could do was a curlbro?

tip top lelling kek.

>implying im that cablefag
i lift for strength and im about 10kg overbulked but im very close to my 5 plate squat so i guess i got that going for me. you wont be miring my asstactics but if you still want to see my hairy ass remind me in an hour and a half when i get back home
no, the issue is that its being reccomended indiscriminately to everyone regardless of their goals. this is the subeject of this thread. this is what idiots ramble about when they reccomend building a foundation before getting on a worthwile routine. for every training purpose there is a vastly superior program lying around.

We have a "Questions that don't deserve their own thread" general. We have "routine generals" from time to time. Yet you managed to create a thread around a post in a minor subreddit that's NOT /r/fitness, /r/weightroom or anything similar, baiting with such a bullshit.
Have a flair.

>if you still want to see my hairy ass remind me in an hour and a half when i get back home
don't forget the timestamp like that other fag just did

If you actually bothered to read it, it says that GSLP is superior to SS and SL, due to the way it's programmed.

I'm at work you cretin. It's not like my body is even impressive enough to fake, and would I pick someone with pectus to impersonate?

>read it
looks like you already reddit

I disagree with AMRAP because it forces you to overwork on the ass end of the lifts. If you can pump out more than your 3 or 5 reps on the LAST set of your lift, your weight was too low. All it does it set the precedent that pushing yourself when you're tired is going to be helpful, when all it does is promote injury.

>there is a vastly superior program lying around
wich one?

>superior program lying around

Then why does no one have it, anywhere? SS, SL, and GSLP are the three main beginner programs. You can do 5/3/1 as a beginner but not as effectively

?
reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq
>Why are StrongLifts and Starting Strength not in the Wiki?
>Because they aren't good programs and they create habits that are actively detrimental to long term training progress.
>You can also read about why r/gainit removed StrongLifts from their Wiki here.

The fitness mods are auschwitz mode. I don't know why they think they can criticise someone that was more advanced than they'll ever be. Probably more advanced even in his old age then they'll ever be.

Starting strength is for starting strength, it's in the name. No one's dumb enough to think it lasts forever unless of course you're a /r/fitness pleb.

pics of them?

bodybuilding
>jonnie candito's hypertrophy variant
>lyle mcdonald's bulk
>generic 2-way
>alphadestiny novice

aspring powerliter
>p2w novice
>jonnie candito's power/control variant

general athleticism/sports-oriented
>ws4sb (its decent for bodybuilding too)

there are literally dozens. ss is virtually unknown outside of us and Veeky Forums/reddit circles. most people do higher volume routines with far greater exercise selectin and unsurprisingly make superior early gains

Get back to work!

>"SS is virtually unknown"
>posts YouTuber routines

Wew

Except it does't really develop optimal strength in anything but lolbar squat and perhaps deadlift due to the carryover.

Sum up manlet destiny's program, I kinda want to switch it up. Or link me.

You mean it does exactly what it was created to do?

>Except it does't really develop optimal strength in anything but lolbar squat
im done
seriously

what is your point?
outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/

My point is that you're deluded if you think a program that has existed for well over a decade is "virtually unknown" compared to the routines of YouTubers.

there are weeks on SS when you do a total 3 sets of bench and call it the day for fucks sake.

Aaand silence.

where did i claim the ones i mentioned are more well known than SS? my entire point is that there are more (superior) ways to skin the cat than a meme routine like SS.

See
Post a time stamp dummy

>no timestamp
picture discarded

The only difference between those routines and SS is that they program for accessories. You have yet to prove on what way they're better than SS or why SS is bad other than claiming it's supposed to do something that it's not intended for.

is there a single pic of this purplespengler tripfag doing it for free?

they do or are characterized by things i mentioned here
starting strength is not the starting point for all routines. rippetoe hasnt invented linear progression. every good beginner routine will be based on gaining strength on basic compound lifts but unlike SS it wont limit you to just that.

Once again, your complaint is thinking that SS is designed for things it's not.

in /weightroom/ SS and SL are there for staying; SS and SL is universally considered an introductory routine for building a strength foundation really fast and the concerns about staying on it for too long are on par with the SS/SL consensus you usually find in the /routine general/. also in that subreddit there's at least someone who actually lifts it seems

al that blabbering about the importance of failure and AMRAP is inane

my complain is that >no, the issue is that its being reccomended indiscriminately to everyone regardless of their goals.

follow the conversation assmaster

well fuck, a major subreddit has been plastered with some mod's faggotry
reddit being reddit I guess

Here's a great program for all skill levels

>go to exrx.net
>look up exercises for each muscle
>perform them for 3-5 sets each set to near failure twice a week in any format you desire
>regularly progress in any fashion you desire, more reps, more weight, whatever doesn't matter

If you can't do this you're not ready for a beginner routine and you're certainly not more than a beginner

The fact that I have to timestamp a naked picture at work to convince teenagers that a sustainable way of lifting is better if you're in it for the long term is absurd.

>deflecting this hard

You'd surprised how hard it is for even people who've been lifting for years to realise what they're not hitting optimally.

Which is fine unless you're form sucks.

That's good to hear. I am not "form sucks" so it sounds like everything is fine.

"If i correct a simple typo maybe my 1plate bench won't suck"

*fine if you wnat to end up with pathetic bench and non-existent pecs

Let's be serious for a second. How do you all suck at benching? I used linear progression from 60lbs to 285lbs.

The problem is you, not the routine.

There have been only a handfull of people to actually do that, ever, without stalling and while natty, so I guess good job on the genetics but this is not something that would work for the average lifter.

The average lifter will stall multie times a couple months in, stress their cns to shit, injure themselves trying to get through the plateau etc. I've seen it happen, and a great buddy of mine gave up lifting after trying to work with SS type programs for years and repeatedly injuring himself with laughable weights.

For most people, HEAVY work is not the answer and for people doing stuff with their lives taxing themselves to failure over and over, causing ego depletion and lethqrgy isn't the answer.

When can I stop doing SS? Im at 0.5/1/2/3. I know its supposed to be about linear progression tapering off, but I keep getting injuries and illnesses that fuck me up and make me stall. I just want to look THICC SOLID TIGHT

Can I switch to lvysaur 4 4 8?

5pl8 squat is the definition of assthetic

Thanks, Satan!

Sorry your "butt"y is such a pussy and a faggot. I blame the company he keeps.

Eh maybe you're right. But I still think form is a huge issue.

It wasn't constant progression. I got stuck at various points but pushed through them. 60-140 was constant then stalling a bit. 150-200 was constant. Had quite a lot of trouble at 200-220 but when I got to around 240 I pretty much increased by 5lbs each workout till I cut. That was all on 3x5.

My current bench is 350 1rm @ 175ls bodyweight. At 285 I had to switch to 5/3/1. I believe the only reason I got so far on LP was extremely good bench form. Whenever I go to the gym no one benches properly. Even most youtube lifters don't bench very well.

>extremely good bench form
Show me the secrets
plz

I'm currently doing Ivysaurs 448, really enjoying it, modified it a tad

>when can I stop doing SS?
>I keep getting injured
Stop now. 5-rep schemes are the problem. Start training 3-6x8-12 reps for compound lifts and 3-4x8-20 reps for isolation.

I did SL for 3 months. All that happened to me
>numbers went up
>hurt my rotator cuff and had to take 2 weeks off then 1 week rehabing then reset my lifts to 50%
>barely any aesthetic gains (sorry no pics)

Switched to PPL with a 8-12 rep scheme. I feel healthier, safer while working out, and I'm losing my gut and getting visibly bigger arms, back, chest.

You don't have to chase after 1/2/3/4. It's a meme. People online like to talk about their numbers instead of showing their bodies. As a result, you've got all the dyel-looking beginner's doling out advice solely based around numbers.

You didn't start lifting for numbers, you started to get in shape and look better with a little carry-over for strength.

>You didn't start lifting for numbers, you started to get in shape and look better with a little carry-over for strength.
>implying

Hey man, what is the best SS template? There are a couple. I want to move to TM after but wan't to make sure I'm doing enough back work etc.

75kg bw 5'10
67.5kg 3x5 bench
90kg 3x5 squat
145 1x5 dl

used to be filtered atleast. why has moot forsaken us

Guys should think of it as a 2:1 ratio of upper body to lower body. PPL lets the guy have four upper body days and two lower body days.

Girls usually like UL because it's 1:1, or do a Push/Pull with 50-50 balance between upper and lower bodies on both days.

Just read the book. The explanation for finding your starting weights is too involved for a template so you'd be doing SL or something like it following a template.

what did insanely accomplished legendary strength coach with book-long list of medalists in plethora of disciplines mean by this?

>durr what's the difference between higher volume and lower volume

DESU I agree with the decision to remove strong lifts, it's a shitty LP filled with questionable logic.
I disagree with their decision to remove SS as the program is relatively efficient and more importantly teaches novice lifters that you need to work and try hard to make progress, but if you do that then you will make a shit load of progress.

The best approach is to follow the progression in the book.
You start doing a lot of DLs, then switch to the 'normal' well known template, then introduce front squats once a week to recover more... then it's TM time, learn to hate your mondays.

But there's one thing that's essential: SS includes power cleans, the TM does too, so learn how to perform them and DO POWER CLEANS. Do not belive the false prophets that advocate rows instead, rows can be added in once you're on the TM on top of the cleans.

IDK what to think about your lifts, you're quite light for your height and your lifts are quite light for the TM, but if you don't want to bulk then switch.
It's better to switch early and slow down a bit your progress, than keeping on deloading and stalling at the same weights, risking injuries and losing even more time because your diet doesn't support your training.

>not pushing yourself to your limit by doing amrap
>making it

choose one user

>choose one
>none of the options are penetrating your anus
let's be honest, your anus is always on the table.

Thanks, I plan to follow the routine as written since I've been fucking around and program hopping for a while. Aside from the 3x15 pullups included twice a week, is anything else needed?

How does the bench progression work when I don't have less than 2.5kg plates. Do I just keep trying until I get all reps (no more than 3 times)? eg. 4,4,3 / 5,4,4 / 5,5,5 ?

Also how fast should I be gaining weight per week? Don't want to become a fatfuck and do too much.

>How does the bench progression work when I don't have less than 2.5kg plates.
You could buy a couple of microplates, or gems, or whatever we call 1.25kg plates now, and bring them with you. Makes it way easier to progress, even better if you can find some 0.5s too. They are cheap, but can be hard to find.
Anyway, yeah, if that's the equipment you have you just use it as normal.
>how fast should I be gaining weight per week?
The commonly accepted standard is 4 lbs/2kgs per week. Ideally, you should eat more if you're stalling, but that's hard to eyeball as a novice.

>The commonly accepted standard is 4 lbs/2kgs per week
Jesus Christ.
Really?
This is insane.