History Degree

Is it worth getting a history degree?
What about getting a history degree alongside a degree in some other subject that makes me employable i.e. a degree in some sort of engineering?
I'm interested because I'd like to improve my knowledge about history. History gives a lot of knowledge about thoughts, ideas, culture, anthropology, the way the world works, and overall improves your thought process. But many people still seem to say 'nay' because of the time/money that can be wasted.

Other urls found in this thread:

hamiltonproject.org/charts/career_earnings_by_college_major/
theverge.com/2013/11/13/5100190/the-smithsonian-is-now-sharing-3d-scans-of-artifacts-with-the-public
news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/maya-laser-lidar-guatemala-pacunam/
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scan-reveals-Mesoamerican-manuscript-180960218/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Humanities
Enjoy becoming a hobo before 30.

You have internet, unlimited access to books from all over the world, articles, videos.
Yet you choose to spend money for something you could do yourself if you had any passion for subject.
State of people today.

I'm about to start studying history at uni, i better not be wasting my time

>Is it worth getting a history degree?
Depending on you mean by "worth," yes. Most jobs only require that you have a degree, and if you would enjoy getting a history degree more than one in business or something like that, go for it. Most undergraduate degrees are technically useless, unless it's something that feeds directly into a career (like engineering or nursing), the key is knowing how to market yourself and being realistic about what you can do, and how to do it.

History and Economics can be decent. You really need to do a shitload of extra curriculars though (that's most degrees though desu) to make yourself seem great to employers/graduate schemes. Computer science is likely to be a better money maker but you aught to be sure that you won't hate it or suck at it before you try it

That doesn't happen unless you have zero personal work ethic and drive.

History degrees are suited to teachers and academics: if academia doesn't appeal to you, major in something else.

Doing History at Cambridge & certain I'll never use history beyond this.

Don't get a history degree just because you want to learn more about history and improve your knowledge. Well--unless you're rich enough that the cost doesn't matter or you live somewhere where degrees aren't expensive as fuck. But if that's not th ecase, you can do improve your historical knowledge on your own, now more so than ever. You can access academic text books, primary documents, online courses run by actual professors, all sorts of resources for free or nearly free.

If you want to work in a history field, that's a different story. But even then you should be laying the groundwork for your career as soon as you start.

These, honestly. I'm personally surprised by the number of Veeky Forums majors who have no intention of teaching it.

You can do plenty of other things with a history degree besides teaching, but I wouldn't major in History for most of them. At least not exclusively. Non-teaching history jobs usually require other primary degrees (like Museum Science or Library Science) with History being secondary, if required at all.

I dont want to be a teacher but want to work in History, there's sweet fuck all in history focused jobs where I live though so it's a bit of a gamble.

Could possibly do a teacher graduate program allowing me to teach only the higher levels in secondary school As our educational system is stratified into intellectual levels starting from low to high, it depends on the education of the teacher where he may lecture.

Meaning I will have an obedient white class rather than having to teach Moroccan chimpansees.

Shame the US teachers don't have this option.

We have AP classes but that is about it.

>getting my degree in history
>have constant nightmares about not finding a job when I graduate
>These types of threads are not helping
>Only a year into it though
Is there a degree that is close to History that has actual job opportunities? Like Anthropology or some shit?

An anthropology job won't help either unless you get lab experience. Volunteer as am undergraduate research assistant with a professor.

Honestly, if you have the intelligence and stability in order to finish an undergrad, no matter the field, you'll probably end up alright. You'll probably not become a millionaire with a history degree, but is that really what you want out of life any ways?

I don't mean to scare you. But you need to be planning out your history career now to ensure that you're getting the right kind of education and the right experiences for a job when you graduate.

What are your interests?

>tfw one of my biggest passions in life is Mesoamerican historry
>tfw had a string of IRL diasasters (deaths in the family, damage to the home that needed to be repaired and us relocated, medical issues), and my family lost all the moneey they had saved up for me to go to college
>just been doing nothing since I left high school due to those IRL issues, i'll be 24 in 2 months
>Even if I could afford to go to college beyoind community college, I live in the southeast US, not anywhere close to Mexico, guatamala, even in the or the southwest US that still has programs for that area of history
>I don't have any otther careers or areas of interest other then games development and that's just as geographically limiting (since everything is in silicon valley) and would be even more competitive a jobs market, among other problems
>even if I wanted to and could afford to do grad school and pursue academia, by the tiime I finished I'd be in my 30's

I don't know what to do. Settling for digitization work at museums and lbraries I think i'd be fine with, but i'd still want to actually be interacting with and doing work on the sort of items related to Mesoamerican history, so I don't know what i'd need to do that, I imagine actual big museums and libraries that deal with actual old manuscripts and scan artifacts and stuff have more stringent employment and education requirements then normal small municipal ones. Even if I could afford to go to a bigger college across the country that has programs on Mesoamerican history I don't know what i'd need tto pursue those library/muesum work careers exactly; I don't think an actual archaeological fieldwork is something i'd be cut out for, especially since i'd need to relocate out of the country

>What about getting a history degree alongside a degree in some other subject that makes me employable i.e. a degree in some sort of engineering?
If you like History it'll be worth double majoring just because you'll have to take SOME elective to pad out your schedule and the requisite History classes tend to be fairly easy. As for income, History alone is basically as middle as the road as you can get in terms of bach degrees. Nothing particularly special, you should go for a better one if at all possible.
However, History paired with a STEM or business can actually be somewhat helpful. Data suggests a 3-5% boost over if you didn't double major; which may not sound like much but over a lifetime that's several tens of thousands of dollars.
>"In my own analysis, I examined data on over two million full-time workers aged 20 to 65 over a six-year period (2009-2015) using Census Bureau data. The bureau provides the largest source of publicly available information on individuals and households, helping to ensure that the analysis is both representative and detailed. The data set included information on each individual’s earnings, occupation, undergraduate degrees and a wide range of other demographic data."
>"My results showed that liberal arts students who take on a second degree in a STEM field earned, on average, 9.5 percent more than their liberal arts peers with only one major"
>"Controlling for occupation, I found that the returns to double-majoring in liberal arts and STEM were 5.2 percent, and 3.4 percent for double-majoring in liberal arts and business/economics."

I think the key thing is that you need to figure out exactly what kind of history career you want here. That makes a big difference on what you need to do.

For any type of museum job where you will be working hands-on with the collection (archivist--I think this is what you're thinking of when you say digitize? an archivist appraises, processes and catalogs the collection) then you want a degree in Museum Science, Archival Science, or anything related to the actual managing of the artifacts; these are 100x more important than having a degree in a specific area of history or even history in general. Museums want to know that you have the necessary experience and knowledge to handle these items so you won't fuck them up--knowing what they were used for or the context behind them is not necessary for that specific job, especially at larger institutions where there will be people(with master's or doctorates) hired specifically for that purpose.

Most people who work at large institutions in archival or conservator positions will have a graduate degree. Truthfully, I can't see any museum, except perhaps a small town local history museum, bringing in someone with an associate's degree to handle their objects--unless that person was currently pursuing a higher degree and was working as an intern under more experienced people.

Now, this doesn't mean you can't get a job working with artifacts without a graduate degree. But you're going to have to work way harder than everyone else to get there. Move somewhere with a museum that has a dedicated Mesoamerican (or related) collection, as well as local schools. Many community colleges have programs where you can earn some base credits there before moving on to a college or university in order to get a bachelor's degree as a way to save money. Seek out internships or even volunteer work at that museum that you can do while getting your degree, because you need as much experience as humanely possible when you graduate.

>Move somewhere with a museum that has a dedicated Mesoamerican (or related) collection

There is actually an art muesum somewhat near me (I think like 40 mins away) that has a small sized one, so that's not totally impossibl;e

History.

I got a history degree with the intention of never getting into teaching.

I've been teaching for about 5 years now and couldn't imagine a more fulfilling career, except for my bank account.

What do you like about it?

Don't Americans have community college that is pretty much that ? In Britain we have A levels by which point most of the cunts have been filtered out

No, community colleges are inexpensive local colleges where people can get two-year degrees (a lower level than a BA or BS). Most of the people that use them are doing so either to get half of the classwork for a four-year degree taken care of at a lower cost, or because their grades weren't good enough to get into a school they wanted, or because they're nontraditional students trying to get out of minimum wageslavery; many of these students are also going for specialized programs like nursing assistants or paralegal. The people that attend that are mostly poor and below average academically, the professors that teach classes are usually subpar because its seen as a lesser job.

There's nothing wrong with them. They serve a valuable purpose, and the quality of education can be very good if you're willing to put in the work and are lucky enough to get good teaches who were willing to settle because they're lazy, but there's absolutely no "filtering out" aspect of them. For the most part, it's where the fuckups end up.

In America the humanities have been completely obliterated, I do not know the situation elsewhere.

You are better off going to the Veeky Forums book thread and Veeky Forums threads for learning purposes. Be interested in history as your main extracurricular hobby, while going to college for something that will pay you.

I switched my history major to a minor and took up a STEM major because fuck it

Like what kind of jobs?

history into law is good

If you can afford fucking Law school, yeah.

I’m a history major wanting to get into teaching but not high school. I’m interested in teaching community college or university level

You will have to at least get a phd.

this

That's only true if you are on tenure track at a good university

Why would you not go to a good university?

Not necessarily. Technically you only need an MA to teach community college, but it's hard to get anything except an adjunct position, unless you're teaching at some shithole that's probably in the middle of nowhere. And even then, your chances might not be great, and at best you'll be working part time with no benefits and no job security. College and university level teaching positions in general are super competitive because they don't open very often, and not having a PhD will make you unable to compete with most other people going for the job.

Scot here. Government pays for all school fees.

>Law
yeah m8 enjoy your debt.

/pol/tards shouldn’t be allowed to have jobs

>In America the humanities have been completely obliterated
t. /pol/ack

>In America the humanities have been completely obliterated
citation needed

I'm a brainlet, what does associates vs masters vs graduates and shit mean

Colleges are basically trade schools now thanks to capitalism. It's best to just study what you're interested in on your own without debt. I hate that it's that way.

>That doesn't happen unless you have zero personal work ethic and drive.
Got a history degree, graduated top of my class. Got offered a job at my university special archival collections, because I had spent much of my time there my junior and senior year, that I started helping other students find documents, do translations, transcriptions etc. Granted I don't make a great amount of money, (I have since gone on to graduate school which has put a whole new dent in my wallet,) but I do have a comfortable lifestyle in spite of it. You can score a job in a tangentially related field if you're not a completely worthless dipshit.

Join the military, choose a job which provide the skills you want, choose a Duty Station in the south west and collect sweet government college money.
That's literally the best advice I can give.

I'm a 5'5" manlet with tons of psychological and neurological issues as well as a fucked up hip, there's no way the military is going to accept me.

Associates = 2 year undergrad
Bachelors = 4 years
Masters = 2 years graduate
Doctorate/PHD = I assume 4 years graduate, but it also involves big ass thesis and shit.

>join the military

Yes, pleb, become an imperialist supporter.

America is a shithole.

Says the second worlder.

Clearly an American since you have no idea what I'm saying here.

In comparison to more enticing degrees like finance, science, and math, it’s pretty shit

Fuck I'm just like you except interested in tech programming.
I'm in college right now and it's hard as fuck because I've been away from school for so long. Do something now user, don't let your brain rot away

If you really want to do it then do it. Don't let society dictate your life to you. If you hate studying STEM you're going to hate a job in STEM, no matter how much it pays.

This is what I did and it turned out pretty well. Got my History degree online. Learned a ton even though it was all through self-study. It was a pain in the ass but as a POG I barely did any work anyways. Now I'm going to grad school on Uncle Sam's dime, in fact making more than I did on active duty. Thanks God for military option.

Fuck I'm just like you except interested in tech programming. I just turned 24.
I'm in college right now and it's hard as fuck because I've been away from school for so long. Do something now user, don't let your brain rot away

What's undergrad vs graduate?

math is a pretty shit degree to if you don't go into teaching.

5'3" is the minimum male height requirement for all branches: you'd be fine.

>I started helping other students find documents, do translations, transcriptions etc
Well shit man, that's exactly what I want to do.

Undergraduate is about learning the fundamental skills for your major, graduate teaches builds upon that and prepares you towards contributing original academic work.

So how does that tie into the amount of years? as said in ?

If you were doing a graduate degree, you'd be doing 4 years of bachelors first?

Get a data science degree and model/mine historical data for stories

Would museum/archival science cover stuff like 3d scanning of artfiacts? Or would that fall into stuff like imaging with LIDAR?

What degree/major would I do for the latter/that if so?

3D scanning for research purposes?

I guess, yes, stuff like theverge.com/2013/11/13/5100190/the-smithsonian-is-now-sharing-3d-scans-of-artifacts-with-the-public

or not 3d, but news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/maya-laser-lidar-guatemala-pacunam/ and
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scan-reveals-Mesoamerican-manuscript-180960218/

Nobody can answer this question for you. All I can say is that my brother-in-law took history, and while he enjoyed it, he now works in software development. So "is it worth it" really depends on what you want out of it. Nothing which you can truly say you enjoy is a waste of time, even if it's considered "useless" by most of society.

Research, Archiving, Museum type stuff, really none that I can find here.