Fucked Up Traps

>Been lifting for a year and making decent progress - DYEL by Veeky Forums standards, but may make it one day
>Always had tense, overly developed shoulders despite not working them out. Not sure why, but girlfriend comments on this frequently when giving me massages
>inb4 normie - she's submissive Asian I met online
>Anyways, finished my week on Friday and was taking the weekend off
>Sunday comes and I wake up not able to move my head without it hurting badly
>WTF?
Did not expect. I didn't even work out Saturday
>Pain is radiating from upper back through the neck
>This has happened before after some intense yard work and went away in about four days >Trying to tough through it again, but this time it seems to be getting worse not better - actually nauseous from the pain
>Always avoided the doc because they typically do fuck all, say "take it easy" and "here's some pills" as their course of treatment
>Don't do pills
>Decide to go to the doc anyways because can barely move
>Tell doc the issue
>Doc asks if I workout
>Tell doc I do deadlifts, squats, bench, and accessory work four days a week
>Doc says he is tired from me describing my routine
>ohyou.gif
>cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/4-easy-ways-to-fix-shoulder-pain
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Doc has me raise my arms and feels my back muscles
>Tells me I am very muscular and tense - especially my upper back
>Blush
>Tells me my traps are causing the problem
>You calling me gay, bro?
>Says I need to take some anti-inflammatory steroids to reduce swelling - 6 pills a day
>Tells me I need to take muscle relaxants to reduce the tension on the muscle - more pills
>Tells me I need to take a month off of working out or work lower body only
>Says I need to avoid any exercise with weight on the shoulders or involving shoulder contractions going forward (squats, flies, etc.)
>Thank doc, say I don't do pills, and nope the fuck out after a quick steroid shot in the ass from the cutie nurse
>Leave the doc with a sore ass, less money, feeling no better, and advice to stop working out

So I know the doctor has literally trained to do this over the course of years, but I feel like doctors often don't understand weight lifting in general if they don't do it themselves. I also don't feel like not doing squats or shoulder contractions anymore makes any sense at all. I also don't understand how I went two full days with zero issues and then out of nowhere I end up in snap city? Can anyone who has gone through something similar give me a better course of action? I am not sure what's worse - the pain in my neck or the pain of no gains.
>pic somewhat related
TL:DR - Doc says my traps are too tight and I shouldn't work them out anymore. Anyone out there whose gone through something similar have a better course of action?

It's one fucking month, rest up and you'll be back in shape in no time. It's a much smarter to rest on an injury than force yourself to work out and potentially make it worse.

you have minor nerve damage. let yourself rest

No, he's saying I shouldn't do any shoulder exercises or squats - ever. He says that if I do this will continue to happen.

>she's submissive Asian I met online
oh my god
where
how
tell me

Accidental. I was browsing a philosophy chat room and we ended up in some bantz about Nietzsche. Eventually we met up and have been together for 9 years

look up neck pain release
do push ups
this isn't rocket science
go to a physical therapist
post pics of your waifu

I've been getting this neck issue from time to time for the past 15 years or so, and I've only started lifting
so for me it's probably caused by sleeping at a weird neck angle or pulling something
just wait for it to go away, for me it's always less than 7 days and always more than 3 days

ok now I know you are full of shit.

you should probably investigate the way you live your life in general rather than just your workouts. are you anxious, stressed out, on edge, often worried? the upper back/neck area is notorious for accumulating and expressing subconscious tension and many people suffer from it regardless of whether they work out
which is not to say that you should ignore medical advice but it could be that working out is only exacerbating a pre-existing issue

Yeah, it sounds crazy right? She was finishing her Master's Degree and was there for a course she was taking. I was just there because I was interested in the topic.

Yeah, I work a high stress $100K+ job and am pretty tightly strung in general. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to fix that other than finding a different, worse paying job.

meditate. make it a habit, pursue it as seriously as you do lifting. that kind of constant inner tension is a pretty massive issue i think, gotta address it directly
also, since you are rich, i'd strongly recommend Alexander technique

how about you try finding someone who could give you a proper massage, it could help

eat more foods with anti inflammatory properties like bananas and cherries, make sure you're well hydrated and get plenty of sleep. Get a sports massage from a professional. Also make sure you are incorporating decompressing exercises such as pull ups into your routine. Squats and deadlifts are compressing your spine into the ground but if you do some pull ups and dead hangs, you'll be able to stretch yourself out.

Raise your hands out in front of Take a deep breath and slowly do a shrug, holding it for 3 seconds, do this for 3 sets of 5 reps. This helped me out with a similar problem in the past.

Then I want you to start practicing some of these poses before your workouts.

t-nation.com/training/4-easy-ways-to-fix-shoulder-pain

Finally, I have a high pressure job as well so you will have to learn how to relax and have fun. This coming weekend, I want you to ease off the pressure and enjoy yourself. No hard partying but maybe reading a book or watching some shows.

Come back here if you try everything and still have pain.

Homie, you need to seriously think if the pay is worth the stress or you need to develop some ways that you can be more efficient so that you can get more done with less effort.

What do you do for a living and do you enjoy it?

Ok
Ok
Ok
No
Delivering since I've had some helpful responses

I manage a sales team. I love what I do, but not who I do it for. Been passed over for promotion despite a pretty incredible track record - not good at keeping my mouth shut when I disagree with stuff. Also, it's been a tough year for the industry even though my team is doing better than most. Still, I worry about stability. $100K jobs aren't easy to find though, ya know - especially since I worked my way up to it from $30K a year. I am also a bit of a masochist and put myself through a lot to try to make my people's lives easier so there's that.

I hydrate a lot and drink a fruit smoothie every day. I also try to relax on weekends, but am always on call and shit comes up. Thanks for the resources, brother

I've been told this before, but it seems hokey to me for whatever reason, even though I've seen studies claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's almost impossible for me to sit still long enough to do it, but I'll attempt as I am open to growth
Done this

I get the same issue, locked neck so I can't twist it or move it without pain. I've found pull ups and hanging from the pull up bar helps, neck exercises every day, and stretches to open up the thoracic spine every workout. This has helped me alleviate the pressure somewhat, though I can still feel it to a degree.

filipino?

Indonesian, but a citizen before we met. Flips are nuts

I do weighted pull ups twice a week and generally try to stretch my back a lot

>It's almost impossible for me to sit still long enough to do it, but I'll attempt as I am open to growth
start with 3-5min, work it up from there, and do it every day. restlessness, boredom, sleepiness, etc, are all common issues that everyone has. just know clearly what you are attempting to do
like with lifting, don't expect immediate or clearly distinguishable results, they will come with time. focus on getting better at it instead

I have this issue too; you may have some degree of pelvic tilt and be unconsciously hunching your shoulders. It can cause your neck to crane forward (resulting in headaches and ENT problems) and your chest to lock up (causing diaphragm/gastroesophageal sphincter problems i.e. breathing problems and acid reflux). Try engaging your core more and forcing your shoulders down/outward behind you, avoiding exercises that encourage you to rotate your shoulder forward, or wearing bags on one shoulder. Your collarbones and the bend in your neck will thank you.

Yeah, I had APT when I started out, but it's slowly corrected itself over time thanks to squats, core work, and hip thrusts. The problem is I am being told not to do these any more. I've been trying to hold my chest out, neck straight, and shoulders back, but that shit takes conscious effort.

Look up trigger poinst you might have them in your upper back,neck.

>I have acute pain so intense it makes me nauseous
>the doctor diagnosed exactly what my problem is and gave a very simple treatment and rest
>the treatment doesn't suit my first world snowflake medical comforts and internet fitness memes
>OH BOY DOCTORS THESE DAYS I TELL YOU CAN'T HELP NOBODY LET'S ASK MY FRIENDS ON MY TRAPLOVERS-ANONYMOUS BOARD WHAT THEY THINK I SHOULD DO

Just do the fucking treatment, get better and figure out how the fuck you managed to hurt yourself with the most simple movements in the world and stop doing that.
It's really that simple.

Because now you will keep the pain, maybe get used to it or find some other bullshit quickfix and keep hurting yourself until you quit lifting entirely.

Your lack of reading comprehensions is astonishing. Must've missed /fitlit/

Fairly sure that fish oil is an anti-inflammatory, you can get high potency pills too which is probably what you need.