Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'll ask the only question that actually will make a fat person a fit person. How do you get the godlike motivation to actually do it? This is a question often answered without any substance "Drop the fork" and "calories in < calories out"

Imagine being addicted to coke for 20 years, going clean isn't easy. Obesity for just as long has a similar effect. I've worked physical jobs before (hvac, install jobs), I've had over a year of PT, I've been "watching" my calories and macros for years but never had true motivation to stay committed and do it right. Now I'm 30, broke, with so many health issues I can barely walk or stand for over an hour and I'm at ~400. I've bought fitness trackers, used MFP, used the buddy system at the gym, went through PT, tried countless pills/drinks in the past, did fad diets like only water and whey protein (For 8 months, lost only 40 pounds despite 3hr daily gym trips and 3 whey/2 casein shakes a day). I tried strong lifts 5x5 and built serious muscle once, only to hit a massive plateau after month 2 and I began to struggle with the same weights I was doing (until I gradually began declining 5+ pounds a week at all exercises, despite changing up).

I feel like I've tried everything other than weight loss surgery, which I'm taking steps to get done. But if I don't have the ability to do it on my own, is forcing me to have a smaller stomach really going to get me to lose weight? No. It's not a lack of willpower, I quid smoking (was 2 packs per day) cold turkey and same for drinking (Used to get shitfaced by 11am daily, for years during/after college). Now I have no vices, I drink only water, I track my steps daily to make sure I get at least 6k, but I've lost motivation with my diet otherwise (Binge eating occasionally, pretty decent most days)

What is the answer to the most difficult question in this field? How do you stay motivated

I mean if you want to be apathetic and kill yourself at age 30 having spent the last years of your pitifully short life practically immobile from your excess adipose tissue then I won't stop you.
However, if you would like to live a long, happy and healthy life after only a year or two of dieting and exercise and feel infinitely better, then you will do what is necessary to change your future.

I'm poor and already sunk money into fitness related things.
I must use them now.

Holy shit, fpbp
/Thread

You don't stay motivated you stay disciplined. Successful people don't always want to do what they need to do but they do it anyway. You will always have one master. Be it regret or discipline, you get to make the choice.

If you have the guts to bear all the humiliations, loneliness and emotional pain that being fat causes, you can find the strenght to change your life. Pain and suffering are the best motivations to change your life.

>Imagine being addicted to coke for 20 years, going clean isn't easy.
How does a coke addict get clean? Put down the coke.

There is nothing else to it. Like Nike says, just do it.

As a fatty who's lost over 30lbs over the past several months, just be realistic. Yes, it would be ideal to never have junk food, but it would also be ideal to lose weight instantly. Give yourself cheat days (no more than once a week). Then slowly start restricting them. In a few months maybe you'll be more comfortable about not eating as much junk since you'll realize that you can only have so much of it and so you can only make room for your favorites.
Cheat days are great for diets because most of us have been raised to ignore moderation. We grew up with
>I want food
>Okay here's some McDonald's
To the point where it became a bad habit. This is how you retrain yourself.

Another thing is to always be moving forward. Slowly add more and more cardio. Then maybe some weight lifting. Build yourself up from just going on 20min walks a few times a week to jogging for an hour 5 times a week. The point is to always move forward and never backwards. Even if you're barely inching forward you're keeping up your momentum and getting somewhere, and you're not regressing. You're in this for the long run. It's better to lose weight slowly and keep it off than lose it quickly and gain it all back.

Also something something sticky.

Never been as fat as you, but I would binge eat everyday if I could. The only reason I don't is because I know that taking those binge meals are going to send me down the downward spiral of gluttony.

Stick to the plan. Eat CLEAN food that has less calories, sufficient protein, and keeps you full. Hit the gym with as much intensity and time as you can so that you can still recover after sleeping. Stay active throughout the day, get up every 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Like other people said, it's not motivation, it's just forming new habits and knowing what will happen if you keep on trucking vs falling off the wagon.

The guts? This shit breaks you. I have a thrice herniated back, and can't walk or bend much. I have had so many concussions, I can barely remember what I did yesterday or even recognize my own voice when I talk (Leading me to talk like william shatner when I go "who the fuck is talking? oh, me). I have a bad knee, a bad foot, lung and heart issues that are getting worse. My body has basically given up, and even with antibiotic regimen after regimen my body won't heal basic infections causing me to lose more mobility as they spread. I'm broken to the point where not only am I numb to the pain and what's going on with my body, I have completely accepted that I am destined to suffer until I die. I'm in a hole deep enough I can't get out but everyone else thinks I can just step out of it. The only reason I haven't ended it is because suicides in my family have already torn it up, but mostly I feel like I deserve it.

Either stop making excuses and do what you need to do and stop whinging or end yourself

this answer is why most coke addicts don't get clean

cheat days are how I always fuck up my diet. every damn time

again, the answer is "just do it". Do you think telling a methhead "or you're addicted? just don't buy anymore! so easy" would make a methhead go clean? It's not like I don't try, I've done every "trick" in the book you could possibly think of. Planners, scheduling my meals ahead, meal prep sunday, extreme diets, the 500 cal a week cut but it's ok to have a cheat day diet, the 500 calorie a day diet, and on and on

Okay heres the thing you want to do it, but you're not going to ALWAYS want to do it. That is the problem.

90% of the time, you're not that hungry, you're settled into what you're doing. Even if you're hungry you're distracted from it or you're succesfully ignoring it. You want to not eat and lose weight, this is when it is easy.

Then 10% of the time, you get some sudden craving. You smell a cake at a bakery. You see a random picture on the internet that makes you really hungry. This is when you don't WANT to do it anymore.

The key is recognizing that 10% of the time for what it is, a passing desire that will go away if you force it to the back of your mind long enough. The more you think about it, rationalize it or mentally engage with it the more likely you are to give in, because frankly it is what you want to do.

You turn that thought off and move on. You walk away. You force yourself to stop thinking about what you want. It isn't about what you want it is about self-control. Literally, you just need to learn how to tell yourself "NO".

You're not a dog, stop rewarding yourself with food you low energy turbocuck.

It's that simple.

Ya gotta get on that shame and self hatred desu

"just do it"

Any time I'm hungry, I tell myself I'm not hungry and that even if I am I deserve to feel it. Works most of the time, like right now (no breakfast or lunch today, just water). But every other day I get an impulse I don't even realize is an impulse until I've destroyed a family sized bag of chips. I've even tried strategies like locking my money/cards in a safe, inside a safe. The impulse will hit me until I open both, go to the store, buy chips, get home, destroy the bag, and then I get that "closing 40 tabs after fapping" feel. Every time.

I'm 150% all in, why do you think I'm posting here just to get flamed and insulted? the only thing worse than death is life, why do I deserve to die?

>How do you get the godlike motivation to actually do it?

The answer is to focus on instilling desire within yourself and a willingness to change. Desire is the quickest way out of apathy, which is where most fat people reside emotionally with regards to their weight.

This was almost 6 years ago, but I lost about 35 pounds in high school (195 to 160 at 5'10") because one of my bros said I wasn't just fat, I was fat and weak. Bought a gym membership the next week and changed my life for the better. Granted puberty and being a teenager made the weight loss easier. The only motivation I need now is my dad is having all sorts of back and knee problems do to being obese. I don't want to be like him, not even 60 and can barely play with his grand kids, seems like a sad life to be sedentary.

How are you this fucked up at 30?

My wife and I are 31 and we've got a baby and we are nowhere near your level. I'm 9st she's 11 and we both have sedentary jobs. How did you get so wrecked?

Shamefuru dispray of disiprin

As someone who was overweight but gotten to single digit bf%, the secret is to basically train yourself mentally to stop enjoying food.

I can sit here and pretend it's more complicated than that but it really isn't.

there is no " trick". you are just a fat faggot looking for excuses. If you eat less, you lose weight. You are not an exception.

put down the fork you fat piece of shit. It really is that easy.

>Do you think telling a methhead "or you're addicted? just don't buy anymore! so easy" would make a methhead go clean?

No, I don't doubt people have eating disorders and addictions. I don't mean to say I can just tell you what to do and magically you'll follow the blueprint 100%. There's no magic secret to losing weight, some people struggle with it more than others - some people can lose weight as easily as doing the laundry - it's just another chore for them.

There is rarely a godlike motivation that really helps people change themselves. Sure, sometimes a really shitty experience happens and then they drop 50 lbs, but most of the people that successfully keep it off simply don't rely on godlike motivation. They rebuild their neurobiology and habits to the point where dropping the fork doesn't require them to fight themselves anymore, it just becomes a chore to them too.

Fad diets don't work long term, everyone says it. Changing the way you're brain thinks about nutrition and exercise is the BEST way to keep the weight off and increase your fitness. I know it's easier said than done, but as I said, you just have to keep doing it until it becomes natural. Just like dropping soda pop for water, just like quitting smoking, just like stopping other bad habits. I know that eating food when you have hunger pangs is a huge stress reliever, but you either find a way to bypass it and rewire your brain or you become a slave to it. I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but it's basically all there is to it.

It has to come from within, you have to want it really bad. I hit rock bottom at 339 pounds and that got me started, after you get started develop a routine and cultivate discipline. Motivation wont last long enough to carry you through a full journey.

I'm 221 pounds now and i'm still going strong, best of luck to you user.

>Any time I'm hungry, I tell myself I'm not hungry and that even if I am I deserve to feel it.

Okay first off, you are hungry. It isn't about lying to yourself it is about not thinking about it. Nor is it about insulting yourself.

This is your problem. You're don't believe in yourself and you're resorting to tricks like hiding your money and lying to deny the truth. Being hungry is good, you want to be hungry, you need to embrace being hungry. You've heard pain is gain? Same concept here man. If you're hungry you're doing something right.

As dumb and saturday morning it sounds, you have to believe in yourself. You have to take pride in every single little accomplishment. Mentally reward yourself for making good choices just as much as you punish yourself for bad.

What happens when you resist and walk away from that bakery. You should be like "FUCK YEAH, I DID IT". You should be fucking pumped about losing weight. You should think of every pound as a victory and every setback as a personal insult by the universe against you that you're not going to take.

You need to completely change your attitude. You sound sad and defeated out of the gate.

Sad and defeated people die. That is what they do. So get inside your own head, kick your own ass and start thinking of this as war instead of a struggle. Stop crying over your fat and start HATING IT. Start getting angry at it. Use some powerful emotions for once.

Quit being sad about it and get fucking ANGRY about it. Sad people eat, angry people DO SHIT.

Think about dying early, think about your life and all your dreams and everything having been for NOTHING. Imagine what it feels like to die, think about dying, visualize your death. If you don't understand death, I suggest you go watch some gore videos, it'll help you understand the seriousness of death. Now work to prolong your life.

>How do you get the godlike motivation to actually do it?
You shouldn't have to.

Seriously, it should not be a Herculean task to eat less - the people who say so want to sell you something. See a doctor.

There isn't some magic. You get the motivation from yourself or an outside source. For me, it was getting diabetes. For a friend, it was wanting to go on a date.

You get motivation from a goal. Set yourself a goal.

Was raised this way. My parents rewarded poor behavior with mcdonalds, chips, sweets etc. I was always overweight, and during college I became a hardcore alcoholic and jumped from ~280 to ~400. I stayed at 400 with very sedentary jobs, always trying different fads to lose weight. My best was an 8 month stretch of an extreme diet, I learned a lot but ultimately I plateaued so hard I got hit with depression for a year. After that I tried more diets, trackers etc but suffered several injuries outside of work that wound up bankrupting me.

I don't enjoy food, other than when I impulsively binge and I've never "enjoyed" that. I don't reward myself with food

"just do it"

I know fad diets don't work. although normies like to recommend them to me all the god damn time

I want to die more than I want to get better, I have about an ounce of hope somewhere within me that prevents me from just driving into a tree but I get the urge a lot

I know if I had confidence I'd do better. I'm fresh out. I think I'm the most disgusting, worthless person alive to the point where looking at myself literally makes me gag. I'm ok to die, I just wish I could do it quick/painless/cheap and in a way that doesn't piss off my family (like intentionally)

everything I have done in my life has been for nothing, user. I once could leg press 850 all day erry day, could do a jumping split, competed in paintball and I had drive and initiative. When I got injured, depression and anxiety set in so bad all I do every day for years is browse Veeky Forums, hope I do something different, then oh look it's 1am time to go to bed.

I've seen several, and went bankrupt over it

Is clear your main problem is depression. Deal with that, then you can focus on weight.

Shit's tuff bra

It's like going to work, maybe you hate it, but you need to do it.

This shit's the same. Maybe you hate it, but you need to do it. Treat it that way. It's pain, it's work, it has to be done. You can't skip it or else bad shit happens to you.

Treat it like that and eventually you stop seeing it as a bad thing. You look forward to your workouts. You look forward to eating healthier. The muscle pain feels good. The slow but noticeable improvements to your body feel good.

Nothing good in life ever came easy. The struggle is part of what sets you apart from those who don't even try.

Drink black coffee all day for 3 days to one week. I mean, anytime you feel hungry drink black coffee. You will shit and shit, fee starved, etc., but at the end of a week you'll be able to start a low calorie (no carb) diet and stick with it.

I went from 422 to 235 in one year.

"I want to lose weight but I don't want to put in the work". And you wonder why you're not seeing results? For fuck sakes, you either accept your life as a fat slob or you make a change.

caffeine pills

buy them from amazon, 1 a day 2 hours after waking up for the first week, 2nd week do the same but add another pill after 4 hours

eat 400 calories of vegetables a day (ideally with sodium, and toward the end of the day) and 100 calories of chocolate/fruit

water throughout the day, if you still feel hungry on 400mg of caffeine, add ephedrine. This will make you lose 15 pounds a month. You will literally have zero cravings for food on that much caffeine/ephedrine, you couldn't eat if you wanted to

why this not ^ /thread

change THIS motherfucker!
*shoves my dirty-diapered butt into your face*

>the only thing worse than death is life, why do i deserve to die?
T. Riddler

99% of that"godlike motivation" (lol) is simply habit. I dropped a lifelong cookie habit by going clean for a month and not buying cookies.it became a habit, and now cookies are something I buy a few times a year at most rather than buying 1 pound a week religiously.

repeat that with the other shit that's ruining your diet, replacing with healthy habits as needed, and you're basically set for life.

once the habits are set they're hard to shake off and easy to maintain. the only hard part is developing the right habits.

One other trick I forgot is developing a. new identity for yourself. Come up with a positive affirmation like "I am not a faggot who buys an entire package of cookies and eats them by himself, because that would be pathetic." and make sure you live up to it.

either "just do it" or "don't"

I don't give a shit about you

what a waste of a thread

For what it's worth, i can easily eat and drink 4k calories in one sitting (fast food) or i can make a bowl of tuna, Brown rice, black beans, and seasoning that is only 450 calories and i usually can't finish it.

Don't wait until your hungry to think about what you want to eat. I'm 5 pounds away from my goal (currently down 23 from my worst)

I don't have the willpower to eat healthy unless i plan ahead and shop for/keep around only healthy things.

Stop making gay ass threads like this and learn some discipline.

>people give you various forms of great advice
>brushes most of it off
>gives bullshit excuses to the rest
He's not gonna listen to us, people. He wants us to MAKE him better, but we all know, including him, only he can make himself do anything.

Obeseanon, you keep saying you want to die. Well, we can't stop you. If everything we tell you isn't enough to help you, then either find help elsewhere or die.

No breakfast or lunch is stupid as fuck unless you're intentionally starving yourself.