Military Prep Thread

/fit I need to get ready for my canadian forces BMOQ (basic military officer qualification).

They make you do hella pushups, situps, and cardio. I'm doing couch to 5k for cardio. How can I improve my pushup and situp count?

Post routines and stories for military success

Other urls found in this thread:

c25k.com/c25k_metric.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start doing more push-ups and sit-ups? Or goto bwg. this really isn't that complicated

c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

Doing a similar thing for US Army.

Idk how many push ups you can do max right now but just take that number and add 2 per day.

If you do any sort of lifting routine make sure it includes bench and some triceps work

army,navy or air force? if it's navy or air force don't worry, they are totally pussies and do fuck all

officers are deskworkers. dont expect the officer equivalent of the regular trade to be anything closes to it

PT in the CAF is a joke. Don't sweat it. As long as you're not a lardass and dead last dragging your section down you'll be fine. Also pro tip, don't try and be the best, just blend in. I've gone through BMQ, BMQ-L, and my trades without getting jacked up once because I was so average course staff never thought of me or noticed me. Good luck bud

CAF capt here.

For BMOQ just ruck a shit ton before heading over.

good luck!

training is still hell tho

i'm applying for RCEME (engineering) since i have a degree in MEC E, canadian army

Ok, here's a trick I got from the ex-national trainer from China (in Sanda kickboxing). I posted it before, but it really works.

1. Take your max reps in the exercise. Let's say you can do 20 push ups.
2. Take half of that number (rounded down). In this case, this means you have 10 reps.
3. You do 4 sets of this number. In this case, 4 sets of 10 reps.
4. The break between the sets is up to you. Just keep in mind you have to stay fresh, don't go to failure. In fact, if it feels bad, you didn't take enough rest.
5. Repeat 2-3 times a week. That' really enough.
6. Re-test your new max every month.

I went from 30 to 127 push ups in one go in 2-3 months with this. And the best thing is, there is no soreness, no subjective feeling of exhaustion. It's rather easy, in fact. Still works very well.

def gonna try this thx homie

gonna make a post when i graduate from basic, thx for the support man

This is good advice. I'm a fan of greasing the groove. Unless you're going into SOF and need numbers up fast don't bother with lol 300 pushups and situps a day!

Infantryman here. If you're a total fat body lose the weight first by dieting. Next I recommend you do intervals for running. Veeky Forums running threads will meme you into "putting on the mileage at a slow and relaxed pace". Fuck that. For army pt tests you should be doing 30/60s and 60/120s..... that means 30 or 60 seconds all out 100% sprints with 60 or 120 seconds of rest. Repeat until failure. Don't over do it at first in order to prevent injury. Your fat ass will have to adapt.

Next, personally I find just doing situps and pushups to be pretty fucking boring. Some guys just do endless reps and do well though.

Personally I prefer hitting the gym. For general upper body strength bench and ohp are the standard. Besides those two lifts focus on throwing in some dips/pullups and pushups throughout the week.. leading up to the pt test you can start focusing exclusively on what you're tested on.

For doing well on the situp portion I highly recommend cable crunches. I used to suck at the situp portion and now I max it. Do cable crunches, woodchoopers, hyperextensions, and round it out with an ab wheel if you have one.
Realistically you could get away with just doing cable crunches or ab wheel, but the others compliment all sides of your midsection which is good. The interval sprints you do will strengthen your hip flexors which are the main muscles worked when doing situps.

The military is endurance based. Some dudes like to squat and deadlift. I find too much takes away from run times though. I prefer doing hill sprints and interval training instead. I think they translate better over to the military.

Lastly, rucking is it's own beast. Never run with a ruck in training. Never ruck with more than 45-50 lb in training. Taking care of your feet is key.
Good luck leaf

Are you trying to be an infantry officer or a POG?

If you're trying to be an infantry officer and you're doing fucking couch to 5k, just quit while you're ahead and be a POG. And if you're going to be a POG, don't sweat it, because no one will care how good/bad you are at PT.

I'm an American, so take this with a grain of salt. I don't know exactly how it works in Canada, but I've worked with Canadians before, and they didn't seem that different from us. If you're not a physical monster, and you're an infantry officer, no one is going to respect you or take you seriously, to include the joes, the NCOs, your peers and your superiors. All the infantry officers I know are fucking insane (the obvious caveat here is the older officers, though it still applies to some of them). Half of them live in the gym. These guys are doing 80-100 pushups on their PT test, as many sit-ups and running their 2 mile below 12 minutes. They're also doing their 12 mile rucks sprinting the entire goddamn time, coming in at 2 hours or below. Also it's pretty much a requirement to have your Ranger tab. Don't know if you Canucks have an equivalent to that.

didn't think ab isolation could help that much but i'll try it out, i'm already doing dips ohp bench and pullups tho, thx for the advice man

nah i'm gonna be POG (engineering) but i don't want to get my ass handed to me during basic training which is the same for all trades

For sure. I didn't think so either because everyone said oh just do your squats and your core will be strong. Maybe, but my situps still were lacking.

Just don't be fat.

solid thread m80s

i think theres a BMOQ module 1 course starting september 1, if anyone else is attending i'll c u there

Am a navy midshipman at uni, run your ass off. Pushups and crunches you can get to max scores in literally a month. Pullups are harder to max, but the main thing that people suck ass at (and the max scores are actually hard to achieve) is the run. I fucking hate running, but if you can run 5 miles at a 7-7:30 pace you'll be in good shape.

fuck, i can relate to so much in this tread
>did 4 years, went from fat fuck to decently trained and 3k went without any issue
>got out, did my Mec E degree
>just got offered a position in Combat Support
>mfw i need to do a 3k in 13 min
>have stayed in shape but gained like 10 pounds since i got out
>"looks like cardio is back on the menu, boys"

Going to BMQ in a week, but im not really scared more scared for occupational training after since im infantry (probably just doing 3 years). Some of the people ive met swearing in seem alright besides the mix of 40 year olds and such going in as office staff who told me they cant do one pullup yet.

why go infantry for only 3 years? there is zero carry over to civilian jobs and canada isn't in any major conflicts so you're just going to sit on base and get treated like shit for 3 years.

Want to be cop in Toronto but its not hiring for a few years need to pad the resume also just some shitty dream i have i no it will suck. I talked to 3 other infantry guys going with me their all in the same boat, Toronto police services recommends it to boast your chances