Who are some of the best second-in-commands in history?

Who are some of the best second-in-commands in history?

Best second in command and best boyfriend coming through.

John Komnenos and his Turkish buddy

Marcus Agrippa

The best.
Poor bastard deserved so much better.
Should have accepted his troops elevation and spit in the eye of that paranoid cunt Justinian.

Nobunaga's monkey

In one of Total War: Attila’s DLC campaigns called The Last Roman you can do exactly that. It’s epic.

He literally could declare himself emperor and start a civil war or just make himself king of one of the states he conquered. Justinian was right to be careful.

He could have but he didn't, he was always loyal and his Emperor took him for granted.

Hindsight is 20/20

I read a story like a decade ago about how Judas was the tragic hero of the Passion because he was asked by Christ to kill his best friend and endure eternal damnation. I can't remember where that was from though.

It’s definitely weird for him to be portrayed as an almost demonic villain. Wasn’t he doing precisely God’s will? If Christ was meant to die for our sins, and Judas delivered him to be able to do that, wasn’t he just doing what God wanted?

I once got my teacher in Sunday school angry by defending judas. Precisely as you say that without Judas, Jesus wouldn't have been able to make the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. Or at least someone else would have to "betray" Jesus. He knew Judas would betray him the whole time, but still kept him close and made him a disciple.

I'm not really sure on how this is viewed on serious theological research.
But the point for Judas eternal damnation lies not on the fact that he betrayed Jesus per se, because his sacrifice was need to renew the covenant but in the fact that he took the choice to do so.
Since this was an act of free will I think that as a sin it has different connotations.
I am a catholic but I don't remember this particular question being covered in any of my religious education.

Andrew Carnegie (second in command to atom Scott). After Scott’s death, he provided the mass production of steel that segwayed America into the Industrial Revolution (a.k.a. lots of skyscrapers we still see today)

Subotai

this, unironically

Honestly even if he formed a Western Roman Empire that included Italy and North Africa it would be better than leaving it in the hands of Germanic barbarians and pirates.

Absolutely. Augustus was sensible enough to know he was a shit general, and Agrippa was loyal enough to not try to usurp Augustus, who was the best politician of his age. They were a great team