So what is the deal with ketosis diets?

So what is the deal with ketosis diets?

Isnt all the fat and lack of good carbs unhealthy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q&ab_channel=Munchies
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

meh, there are worse ways to fuck with your body

like being fat

theres better ways to fuck your shit up fa=m

Carbs aren't necessary unless you're a long distance runner/athlete.
Idk if keto is healthy though.

Just eat 30:30:40 carbs fats proteins and get your carbs from unrefined complex sources, your proteins from lean meats/beans and shit, and your fats from healthy sources like olive oil and shit

like, eating healthy really is that simple

>It's either obesity or fatty red meat topped with a stick of butter and extra grease

Holy fuck is that butter

Keto's just another diet fad. The science has been pretty much settled for 30 years or so. Set your macro's and Do Work Son!

I tried it once. It worked well for about 2 months, and then I suddenly started feeling angry, anxious, and retarded all the time, like my brain had some kind of pissed off, uncomfortable self-aware cloud in it.
I started eating carbs again and felt better inside of a week.
I don't think human beings are supposed to eat that way for more than a little while for survival purposes.

just fast a bit and avoid carbs and the weight will drop off

drink water eat veg eat meat

dont soak everything in fat and butter moderation is key

a perfect serving size is actually the PALM of your hand

this is perfect because everyone has a different palm (bigger people need more food)

keto is legit but some times people love to troll and make shitty recipes and stuff

thats cheese faggot

its what cheese looks like outside of the land of bright orange colored processed vegetable oil "cheese"

No

It's the new version of atkins/paleo.

Basically a way for fat people to shovel unhealthy food into their mouth and feel good about it.

way too much protein

60/20/20 is the SUPREME macro breakdown

t.cardio lifter

*80/10/10

>pic related is my keto
I dont think its unhealthy, veges, chicken, eggs and some chorizo

t: vegan

Or just do some carb loading once a week.

Or just don't follow a restrictive meme diet

I'm sure whatever country you live in has basic diet guidelines set out for how much of each nutrient you should eat daily, just follow those instead of some broscience on a chinese cartoon board.

If you're looking to do Keto to reach some specific goal instead of just general health, then you should seek out the advice of professionals and again, don't get your information from Veeky Forums especially when it's something that has the potential to fuck you up for the rest of your life if you get it wrong.

most counties dietry guidelines are completely retarded

especially america they don't even set a limit on sugar

I just looked it up and yes it does so stop being an idiot.

American food labels don't have a % on them for sugar

Well that's pretty shit. So don't eat shit that isn't labelled. If you cook all your own food you will be able to find the nutritional value of the raw ingredients online easily.

did keto for 5 months, lost about 45lbs. also developed gallstones, which caused me to loose more weight because i couldnt keep any food down. 10/10 would recommend.

basically this. if you want to lose weight, eating regular food while counting calories is the way to go

not true. we have carb breakdowns that say how much is fiber and how much is sugar. if you cant figure out percentages, than fuck you

Lots of distance runners are on keto

>intentionally forcing your body in a survival mechanism
>good

what do you think little buddy?

Trying to find objective answers on keto is like trying to find a sacrificial virgin in Essex

Everyone is either "Keto is the best thing in the world and makes you superhuman" or "Keto is a meme bullshit fad for fatties"

I've no idea why objectivity and middle ground is so difficult for Veeky Forums but here's the reality-

The keto diet is fantastic for
>Losing weight because carbs help retain water and make inflammation and bloating a part of life above somewhere around 90g/day
>Losing weight because protein and fat help you feel fuller for longer and help to normalise insulin and other anabolic hormones
>Tends to be very good at normalising cholesterol levels
>Can be good for gym pursuits if used strictly
>Is fantastic for reducing many brain and nervous system problems like MS, Epilepsy, Crohns, etc.

Keto has plenty of negatives like
>Can be hard to get enough fibre unless you supplement
>Drastically lowers sodium levels because less water retention and carbs in body
>Can increase chances of ketoacidosis, particularly in diabetics
>Has been shown to slow gym/athletic performance (but only ever in people who were previously on high carb diets, so the data isn't really there yet)
>You have to deal with all manor of stupidity and retarded opinions every day

In short, it's great for losing weight and having consistent energy levels, and for thinking faster/sharper in my experience, but the low sodium levels on my last blood work were a real concern and ketoacidosis is another massive concern for me personally.

Like anything, try it for a month or longer and you'll come away with a good understanding of how diet affects you.

good joke lol

youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q&ab_channel=Munchies

yeah, one fucking guy that everyone knows about. I'd be willing to bet money that it's like a 9 to 1 ratio of high carbers to low carbers in the endurance athlete community

You failed right off the bat. "Carbs" don't cause inflammation, protein and fat doesn't "help you normalize" insulin and it's horrible for cholesterol levels.

>"Carbs" don't cause inflammation
You might want to tell the last 60 years of medicine that. Even a rudimentary pubmed search will rebuke this nonsense.

>protein and fat doesn't "help you normalize" insulin
Correct, but lowering carbs does. I monitor my blood sugar in real time and suggesting otherwise is simply flat out ridiculous. You can achieve some of the same effects by adding and adjusting fats and fibre with existing carb intake, but for any diet above something like 50g carbs/day is going to still have the same reactions with insulin and other anabolics regardless.

>it's horrible for cholesterol levels.
Probably the easiest thing to rebuke and the most retarded thing you've said but I'll be happy to redress once you stop spouting memes and come up with a rational reason to suggest this nonsense.

Yes

You seem knowledgeable on this shit.
Any idea where I can find some proper (preferably peer-reviewed) information on keto?
I'm mainly interested in these statements you made;
>having consistent energy levels, and for thinking faster/sharper
I'm constantly drowzy/sleepy and can't focus on my work. I've been busy with my thesis for 3 months now and I'm barely progressing because I can't keep my focus.
I also want to lose some weight since I gained too much during thesis period (not enough gym, too much junkfood).

Maybe this could help.

>pubmed

>Any idea where I can find some proper (preferably peer-reviewed) information on keto?
Because most dietary studies are about specific ingredients rather than diets because they're so hard to draw any useful data from. To study one diet you have to compare it to another which immediately puts in a huge margin of error and subjectivity.

That, and it's been fairly unpopular until recently. But there are studies going back as far as 1920 specific to the nervous system and epilepsy.

>I'm constantly drowzy/sleepy and can't focus on my work. I've been busy with my thesis for 3 months now and I'm barely progressing because I can't keep my focus.
This was a massive part of my life before when I was eating somewhere around 150g carb/day.
I'm type 1 diabetic so the effects are compounded for me, but they're exactly the same as a non diabetic would experience, just to a higher extent.
Low carb and keto radically changed my energy levels to be more stable and consistent and the mental lethargy (people call it mental fog) was the biggest change. Absolutely recommend low carb at least, if you're having troubles with this.

Just be aware you'll probably feel like shit for a week or two after cutting down/out carbs, depending on what you're eating now, but google will tell you anything you want to know better than I can here.

keto is fucking great

all the fat women I know have managed to lose weight with keto

women are too fucking dumb to understand the cals in cals out thing. with keto you just tell them to not eat this and that and then they'll chow down less cals since youll feel stuffed faster from eating veggies, meats and fats.

it's not a good diet overall but it's excellent at making dumb bitches become slimmer

with keto there's no "but I just ate a little bit of that or but I thought this doesn't", it's just no, that's carbs the diet says not to eat carbs follow the fucking diet bitch. and then some months later they're down 40 lbs

they can't call it "too little" because it's a proven certified diet. they won't say too little because eating just veggies/meat/fats makes them feel stuffed faster so they aren't pigging down as many cals even if they eat till satisifed

Keto, short for Ketosis, is a state in which you cells start dying out and you start pissing them out.
The cell membrane is made of carbs actually, and if you stop injecting carbs with your diet, then cells start to die out. That's why you actually start losing weight, because cells are literally dying in your body and are being thrown out through urination.

You brain cells also start dying out, and you start feeling more retarded by the way.

All diets basically consist of: eat less, move more.
I'd suggest just throwing out dinner as a meal, and add jump-rope 2-3 times a week for half an hour for starters. This is of course, while still trying to eat clean, and avoid massive amounts of sweets and junk-food. But it's ok if you have carbs.

You'll see results I guarantee.

>chorizo
Brother!

>You might want to tell the last 60 years of medicine that.
Show me one study where non-refined carbohydrates cause inflammation.

>Correct, but lowering carbs does.
Insulin isn't bad, it's supposed to be produced when we eat carbs and proteins. It's a healthy response.

>Probably the easiest thing to rebuke

Show me a study where the patients got under 150 total and 70 LDL and I'll concede this point.

>women are too fucking dumb to understand the cals in cals out thing.
I see this time and time again. I joined a few keto facebook groups and I was blown away by how dumb these women tend to be.

One obese woman asked why keto wasn't working for her (meaning weight loss) and showed that she'd been egg fasting for 2 weeks. Turns out egg fasting for her literally meant eating 50+ eggs per day, plus oil and mayo.

I always think it's clever satire but people are actually this dumb.

Incidentally, I think 99% of the negative viewing of keto comes from ridiculous shit like this. The love for bacon and other processed meats, for example.

>Keto, short for Ketosis, is a state in which you cells start dying out and you start pissing them out.
You're thinking of ketoacidosis, by the by. The rest of your post is utter nonsense and sounds like it's written by a 6 year old.

>The onus is on you to disprove my bullshit in the face of logic
No thanks.

>Insulin isn't bad
Never said it was. I inject the stuff 4-5 times per day, I'm perfectly aware of the interactions and benefits and problems it can have. It's also released in response to glucose in the blood, not dietary macros. This is important because you can produce insulin in response even to fat.

this had better be bait

cell membranes are made of lipoproteins

>
>>The onus is on you to disprove my bullshit in the face of logic
>No thanks.

You could of just said you can't do it in the beginning

I've seen plenty of guys that don't understand calories either. Stats actually show that women in general do actually eat healthier than males. But Males tend to be more active overall

>Isnt all the fat and lack of good carbs unhealthy?
1. Fat is not what you think it is. It's not grease from meat. It's from healthy sources like almonds, avacados, olive oil, egg yolk

2. Carbs are not essential.

Well fats are pretty important for long distance runners, carbs are the quick release energy they need to start the marathon, but in the final 3/4 they'll be grateful for the slow release energy of fats to keep them going until the finish

I also think guys like to simplfy problems or boil them down, whereas women like to look for rules to stick to.

All of those contain fats. The confusion most people have is that carbs are essentially all the same- carbs in sugar and carbs in a high fibre grain or fruit are exactly the same once in the body, but the fibre and other things make some healthier than others in terms of nutrition. Whereas with fat, they're all fairly different so while trans fats will fuck with you in almost any quantity, most other fats are fine in abundance but interact with each other (omega's being a good example) in different ways so there's more to worry about.

People also often confuse dietary and bodyfat and don't have a fucking clue about cholesterol so you get all sorts of dumb shit extrapolations on Veeky Forums.

Thanks for the info user, but I'm a bit hesitant. I have been googling it for the past 30 minutes and it really does seem like your next 'fad' diet. Getting 70% of your energy out of fats seems unhealthy.

I will speak with more with a licensed nutritionist (friend of mine) before committing to this, but thanks for the info.

you can do Keto alright, no problem, if you have no willpower but you want to drop weight, and your training consists of going to the gym every other day for an hour or so, i.e., you are a little bitch.

there's a reason why athletes in combat sports, which are literally THE most demanding ones on the body, are all on carb heavy diets.

You have not presented any logic... nor proof. You have made statements that I ask you to substantiate.

Actually just lipids. There are proteins imbedded inside the membrane, but the actual thing you call a 'membrane' is pure phospholipids.
Lipids being the overarching group that fats are a part of, together with some vitamins and a few other groups.

It's 100% a fad diet, as is every low carb diet at one point or another- see: Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, Cambridge, etc

But separate the bullshit and understand that it's also absolutely fantastic for certain things, primarily weight loss and consistent energy and better hormones.

Your nutritionist will likely shit on it. I'm type 1 so I speak to them pretty regularly and they all say the same thing "I advise against low carb/keto but I agree most people anecdotally say it's great"
This is because nutrition (in the USA and UK at least) has carbs at the bottom of the food pyramid for various stupid reasons (primarily fibre and energy). Understand this and make your own choices. Either way there's no reason not to try it for a month to see what benefit you get.

I only reiterate because mental and physical lethargy because of diet was a huge problem for me and I'm so thankful I no longer suffer it.

Except you haven't, you've shat over basic anecdote with generalised nonsense then gotten pissy when peoples results disagree with your own assumption. If you're that guy, at least.

>The keto diet is fantastic for
>>Losing weight because carbs help retain water and make inflammation and bloating a part of life above somewhere around 90g/day
>>Losing weight because protein and fat help you feel fuller for longer and help to normalise insulin and other anabolic hormones
>>Tends to be very good at normalising cholesterol levels
>>Can be good for gym pursuits if used strictly
>>Is fantastic for reducing many brain and nervous system problems like MS, Epilepsy, Crohns, etc.

>Anecdote
>implying

>Understand this and make your own choices
I'm way too misinformed to make any good choices. Maybe I'll just try and it see how I feel, but I'm usually someone who trusts experts (people who studied their shit) over my own instinctual feeling.

>I only reiterate because mental and physical lethargy because of diet was a huge problem for me and I'm so thankful I no longer suffer it.
This is my main reason to go and try it. Even if it's placebo, as long as it's gone I'll be fucking happy. Fucking lethargy is making me depressed.

The only reason anyone should do keto is if they are epileptic or diabetic.

There really is no benefit for normal people vs. eating a reasonably balanced green-rich diet other than pissing off people you know because you're incredibly unfun to accommodate for in get-togethers.

Don't mistake this for a meme, but have you tried avoiding gluten?

its what the body PREFERS, idiot. go fuck urself

I love keto. I hate that its not shelf stable and/or expensive on average.

I've been losing about 1.5 inches on my gut a week just doing keto without calorie counting.

It's butter retard

I think you mean
>Hombre!

Nothing like pissing every hour for a week when awake when you are first on keto.

that picture is what's wrong with most people on keto. Poly unsaturated fat should roughly be 1/3 of your fat intake. 2/3 should be vegetable fats (oils), nuts, seeds and fatty fishes
absolute lack of good carbs is detrimental long-term, but well conducted keto should include carb refeeding days.

all this being said, even not-so-well executed keto is better than drinking soda and eating nutella every day

humans actually eat like this for millions of years. and not only distant ancestors or Inuits, most of Northern and Eastern Europe ate like this during winter well into the present era (meaning past year 0) Latin people had cereal more integrated to their diet, and obviously fresh veggies were easier to come across. remember potatoes were introduced from america, and they are very few other starchy veggies like it.

keto is superior for long distance runner, because fat is turned into ketones in the kidney, and u have a shitton of fat in ur body.

retard

Doctor recommended me that diet. Mom has fibromyalgia, which is connected with IBS and celiac disease. Can't eat bread, cause it causes inflammation. Started getting a bunch muscle cramps and pain, doctor thinks I have fibromyalgia. Has me do keto and let's me smoke weed for the pain. I've been doing it for about a month and feel better. You do feel like your withdrawing from drugs the first week.

I've been on keto for 2.5 months now and my blood pressure has went from pre-hypertensive to normal range in this time. Keto is good for your heart. I've also lost 25 lbs.

There are two specific groups who should do keto : fatties, and diabetics.

So, to answer your question, yes, there could be some unhealthy effects of it, but the unhealthy effects of being fat or diabetic are far worse.

what are some things you eat for fat, and dont say nuts please, they have so many crabs :)

works but it's stupid

pros:
you can't eat sugary shit

cons:
cravings
no fruit
you have to eat green shit to get fiber

>tfw pre-diabetic and fat
100lbs down and I jumped on the keto meme for my last 30.

Not that guy , but I eat steak, buttered coffee, cheese, that natural peanutbutter when I get a craving for sugar shit. Pork skins, shit load of Veges for fiber.

IT'S FUCKING BRIE YOU PHILISTINE
LOOK AT THE OUTER WAX

It's butter dumbass.

You need fat and there is no such thing as "good carbs"

Keto is really effective for dropping bodyfat relatively quickly (although not as quickly as a DNP fueled PSMF) and I like to use it when I want to get leaner.
I would not use keto if I was trying to grow or if I was trying to get stronger, I am significantly stronger on a normal diet just off of the get go and it's MUCH easier to eat 5k Cal with 2-3k of it coming from pasta/rice/potatoes than it is to eat 5k Cal of protein and fat nearly exclusively.

Scientifically illiterate or bait

HOW BOY it's not like EVERY race has CARB station every 10 miles that allow you to replenish your superior energy stock , you know the one that allow you to go above 40% Vo2max for more than 10 minutes :^)

You also need a certain amount of carbs to function properly, that's why you're hypoglycemic when doing keto.

It's great for losing weight fast, sure. If you're really in a super rush to lose weight and have the money to get a tummy-tuck, great. If not, you're gonna have a withered sack of skin around your belly and look like an impatient idiot.

And no, it's not "how we were meant to eat." It's a diet that was developed help epileptics and keto just happened to be a by-product of it. High fat diets are horrible for you otherwise. But you're all probably the people that think "I have a magical number on a scale, ergo I am healthy"

> carbs help retain water and make inflammation and bloating a part of life above somewhere around 90g/day

Fruits are inflammatory?

why are retards always so confident of their opinions, it's clearly butter

why do you always post this image

Keto has no weight lose mechanism beside the hunger reduction, your body literally feels like you're poisoning it with all that shit that it cull your hunger .

fruit = carbs = sugar = insulin = inflammation

say no to fruit