Reminder that heavy lifting is not sustainable

Reminder that heavy lifting is not sustainable

Other urls found in this thread:

static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1109123/24483296/1394376978483/Relative Safety of Weightlifting and Weight Training.pdf?token=0AJNQsbXsYmd6eMLrl8NHxOFbNE=
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZXOiyQiM4Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This should be stickied for all the clueless powerlifters.

99% of people on the planet couldn't lift as much as Lilliebridge does.

It's all relative.

Well they can now, since he doesnt lift anymore

But he does and his total still puts most of Veeky Forums to shame.

muh total

No, his.

but he can't lift as much as a gorilla
Who cares
What sets men apart is their intellect
We have machines, animals and niggers to do the heavy work

Going heavy is pants on heads retarded, even if you don't hurt your skeleton in the back your joints still suffer and your cns gets fucked.

cns gets stronger from lifting heavy though

There's a difference between world class powerlifting and training, and training heavy, you know that right?

Yes they take drugs and have double your muscle mass and still their bone structure fails, despite hormones promoting bone density etc. You on the other hand are most likely natural yet pushing your muscle to the breaking point where your spinal disks are left to bear the loads, with your comparatively meager recovery ability to boot.

Really makes me think

Define "heavy lifting"
There are big old guys deadliftin 450lbs in my gym and that's considered heavy.
They are natty and lift casually for decades

They also handle considerably more weight and lift equipped to handle loads that are literally not possible to handle naturally.

Lifting heavy in the gym != lifting heavy at world class level

At what weight (in terms of bodyweight multiplier) do squats start to get dangerous to your physical well-being, even with good to perfect form?

>since he doesnt lift anymore
he actually does, he did like a 650 diddly few weeks ago

And we drive cars to get places but people still compete to see who can run the fastest.

What exactly is your point?

>implying I'm going to deadlift 800 pounds

The human intellect has no use without the body it springs from.

>be skinny manlet
>can't even bench .75xbodyweight
>"lifting heavy is bad for youuuuu"
>jumps on bike and crush any chance of healthy reproduction before age 25

Sure showed me faggot.

ITT weak fags try to justify their existence

but he does he still deadlifts over 300 kg just check his instagram

Survivor bias

Reminder that we will all die and we will all be in a lot of pain

Kill yourself retard.

> user posted, glancing furtively at the chads hitting quadruple his 1RM for sets of three.
> tears silently rolling down his cheeks, he turned to regard the barbell, loaded to 95lbs, and proceeded to do his fourth set of 27 reps
> "It's safer this way!" he muttered, "Heavy lifting isn't sustainable! That's why I don't lift as much as those chads!"

kek'd

bodyweight multiplier goes out of whack if you're really light or really heavy

if you weight 180 and are squating 5 plates you gotta be careful as fuck

I've gone back and forth from bodybuilding and powerlifting for 6 years now. But I have stayed away from powerlifting for almost a year now due to some serious lower back pain. I look better than ever and my back feels good again.

I don't really see the point in powerlifting anymore for me personally. Like what's your goal? If you want to compete and shit, well yes go for it. But if you are working out to be healthy and look good, stick to bodybuilding.

PS. I still do squats and deadlift. But I make sure to do weight that I can do about 12 reps of.

>implying chad deadlifts

Fuck youre stupid

the solution is to never lift 100% of your 1rm.
lift submaximal, do 5x5 forever within a comfortable weight range

and now he can't either

I'm chad and if you lift heavy you're retarded, what now?

Lifting more than 100kg standing (squat, deadlift, farmer walk, w/e) is retarded

Compressing your spine like this on the regular basis is not sustainable

Also, in the real life no one cares about your lifts, and heavy squats/DLs are not necessary for aesthetics

>inb4 muh functional strength
Yeah dude good luck if this "functional" strength proves useful once in your lifetime lmao

Got pinned under a 2pl8 bench huh? It's okay man keep trying you'll get there one day

They are lifting on the edge of what a human being is physically capable of lifting, of course their skeletons and joints are gonna get fucked. If you aren't pushing world records, you are perfectly fine so long as you keep decent form.

So bodyweight exercise are superior?
>Built in fat test
>cardio and muscle training
>Free
>less likely to injury
>Calisthenics means "Beauty Strength"
>women prefer the gymnast look to any bodybuilder/powerlifter

>machines, animals and animals

When it comes to looks, calisthenics > weightlifting

Also calisthenics is actually functional strength, unlike the ability to lift a bar of a certain weight once

Bodybuilding is obviously the best for looks though

I disagree with the last statement. But such is life.

>functional
define this please, functional for what?

i agree with the point that training for maxes (1RM like powerlifters do) is not "functional" ie. daily activities

one could argue that pullups are functional because if you hang from a cliff you need to be able to do a pullup to survive, but it's all relative

deadlift is the definition of a lift for betas

the press on the other hand...

> being able to lift something heavy up without snapping your shit up isn't functional

why do you think so many peopel develop back problems later in life?

Get to 1/2/3/4 And never go heavier.

>aesthetics
because everybody lifts for the same reasons faggot.

Your'e just trying to justify staying a weak baby bitch

Why do people lie literally all pro bodybuilders lift heavy, all pro strongmen lift heavy and so do pro olylifters and all squat heavy as well.

because skinny physiquebrahs want to feel better about their 1pl8 bench

>but he can't lift as much as a gorilla
he probably can. he is literally the size of a gorilla

once you go 2/3/4/5 you should really be careful with your PRs and 1RMs.

this... kinda. squat and diddly is overkill though, at least for me - i have wide hips and tree trunk legs

i got to 1/2/3/4 years ago, but my routine is more like

1.5/2/2/2.5 nowadays - i just shoot to increase either reps or sets on lowerbody lifts. my legs are finally in proportion to the upper body, and i'll never compete in pl so who tf cares about numbers

1/2/3/4 is a good goal for everyone. I dont think 2/3/4/5 is harmful if thats your long term goal. Like after you get to 1/2/3/4 just maintain and make very slow gains and in your 30s when you have dad strenght you'll get to 2/3/4/5.

I agree tho, Lifting heavy as fuck isn't sustainable. The amount of food you have to eat to make constant gains is retarded. Plus the risk of injury after putting your body under unnecessary stress time after time. Better to get a good base and then work on flexibility, endurance, agility. And balance your life out with other hobbies and interests.

The amount of autism and body dysmorphia amongst people who lift is insane

>define functional
>pullups are functional for hanging off a cliff

Calisthenics is functional in that it gives you good control over your body

It's not only banging out reps of pullups, pushups etc, but also gymnastic-style positions, like the planche, front and back lever, human flag etc., which teach you proper breathing, joint mobility, balance and coordination

IMO it translates to all areas of sport and fitness much much moreso than the squat/DL/bench trifecta

>i'll never compete in pl so who tf cares about numbers

This is something that was kind of a weird revelation for me a while ago. I was getting stressed about my lifts but then I realized I'm never going to compete and all my friends already think I'm amazingly strong so why the fuck do I care? Obviously I still try to progress but I realized it's all about experimenting with what you actually want. In my case being lean is more comfortable than being fatstrong and squatting 300 lbs.

>The amount of autism and body dysmorphia amongst people who lift is insane
Agreed. It's crazy how hard people push themselves to meet completely arbitrary standards.

>IMO it translates to all areas of sport and fitness much much moreso than the squat/DL/bench trifecta

true dis, i agree.

this powerlifting craze took off somewhere between 2011-2012, and just gained massive popularity. now everyone who can't do 10 decent pullups and can't cut to ~12% bf and actually look healthy calls himself a "powerlifter"

the best exercise program would be a mix of
>gymnastic style work (pullups, dips, ring stuff, core stuff),
>olympic style work (training some explosiveness and power),
>strength work (everyone should be able to squat 100kg, deadlift 150kg, bench 80kg, row 80kg and press 60kg for reps imho) and
>cardio work.

the problem is people pick and choose what interests them/what they're built for (i'm 190cm with an arm span of 202cm, fat-ish 110kg, there's no way in hell i could do ring stuff for example, unless i drop 20kg) and then they defend that position religiously

yep. the revelation as you call it comes extra slowly for people who begin as naturally strong fatties

i used to tell myself (and others) that i don't WANT to look good, i just care about lifting heavy - which wasn't true at all. i was just lazy to track my diet so i used powerlifting training as an excuse

now for anyone else reading this, don't think i'm trying to put powerlifting down. it's a great sport, and it's fine that the powerlifters dont have to "look good" for their sport, but if you know you'll never compete, stop lying to yourself and stressing over whether you can pull 250kg or 255kg for 1 rep.

Are you guys all sub 160 lbs manlets or something why is your squat or standards for squat so low, a 2pl8 squat can be achieved in 1-2 months and 3pl8 can be easily achievied in 6-8 if you don't care about diet or 10-12 months if you are an ab obsessed twink.

Maybe my standards are getting warped by lifting in a black iron gym where people rep out 4pl8 bench like it's nothing but doesn't feel right that something that can be achieved in less than 3 months should be someone's goal.

>the problem is people pick and choose what interests them/what they're built for

That's not a problem.
That's just how human beings work.
Forcing them to do a workout that goes against what they want or even need is ridiculous.

A basic genderneutral calisthenics program designed for personal growth, basic health, basic strength, and basic flexibility.
One that can be pushed towards simple maintenance and on top of that three aveneues.
More flexibility, more strength, or more performance with a flow chart of different kinds of calisthenics based programs.

A simple weightlifting program designed to build some basic strength.
Without pushing the instant gratification meme that suckered so many children(and adults with te minds of children) into powerlifting and inevitably steroids or buying a one way ticket to snap city.

im 190cm (read my post again, im the 1st and 3rd post you replied to), and nah, your standards aren't warped

everyone can hit 2/3/4/5 in 4-5 years of training imo, and if your goal is getting as strong as you can, go for it. that's not my goal though. my goal is to look good naked, and enjoy life, and i achieved that with the method i wrote in

man i think i could go for a 2pl8 bench but i have no gym friends, and am afraid of this.

the best exercise program would be a mix of
>gymnastic style work (pullups, dips, ring stuff, core stuff),
>olympic style work (training some explosiveness and power),
>strength work (everyone should be able to squat 100kg, deadlift 150kg, bench 80kg, row 80kg and press 60kg for reps imho) and
>cardio work.

Yeah, also add combat sports and long endurance marching to that list.

The thing with sports is that people only have limited time, money and energy, so the vast majority will only do 1 of those - if any at all

a 3 pl8 squat is 140kg of compression on the spine. It's not healthy in the long run.

You're posting on the wrong board, faggot.

i didn't mean train to excel at all those - i said a "mix of" meaning you can easily do some explosive work, followed by strength work, followed by a bodyweight exercise, kinda like strongmen train but without all the implements, and then doing some sort of cardio a few times a week for heart gains

also, this would be something for someone who wants to be an all-around healthy, fit person. if you lift to better yourself at a certain sport, then none of this applies

I am not being antagonizing or trying to be, but literally all the shredded calisthenic guys i.e the guys that do the badass stuff (I can never do that and i'll be first to admit) are fairly light weight.
How would Calisthenics work for e.g for a guy that does PL, strongman or even Oly lifting that are on the more mass side e.g someone like Justin lascek?

I can respect and can see where you come from ( I liked my body way more when I reached 13-15%) that I agree that loadsa of guys use powerlifiting meme to boost ego, stay fat and never ever compete I guess it's all about goals for me I always consider rugby players or strongmen to be quite impressive and kinda aiming for that so something like 16-20% bfat strong as shit but also have endurance not to be out of breath after running 2 steps.

It's one of those people who pops onto the board to false flag a bunch of racist rhetoric.
It's quite obvious and you can set your clock by it.

>a 3 pl8 squat is 140kg of compression on the spine. It's not healthy in the long run.
What do you base this on I just would like to know? I Mean after all Weightlifters/PLers have lowest injury rates out of the competitive sports with football(soccer for americans) being highest for injuries by a mile and even then competitive lifters are not the same as a guy in the gym since one just wants numbers and doesn't care about form.

Basic calisthenics isn't about getting into the really impressive cool looking stuff JUST TO GET INTO THE COOL LOOKING STUFF.

That's retarded.

No, it's about using your own bodyweight to get healthy, fit, stronger, more flexible. Not to look cool doing backflips.

That's why I said basic genderneutral calisthenics program designed for personal growth basic strength and general flexibility.

As for the fat as fatass powerlifters. Being able to do even moderately advanced movements for fairly high reps will pay HUGE dividends when it comes to strength and endurance gains.
The best powerlifters on the planet do calisthenics and can push their bodies with calisthenics. A man who can overhead press their bodyweight but can't do handstand pushups(barring some kind of injury) isn't that strong at all.

>I Mean after all Weightlifters/PLers have lowest injury rates
You do realize that the statistic is absolute bullshit correct?
The new lifters who're probably using machines or almost nothing compared to teenagers+amatures in every sport on the planet.
It's bullshit.

The stats is going by percentage not about the average gym goer it's about competitive people. static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1109123/24483296/1394376978483/Relative Safety of Weightlifting and Weight Training.pdf?token=0AJNQsbXsYmd6eMLrl8NHxOFbNE=

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZXOiyQiM4Q

The way heavy compression wears down your spine over the years is not an "injury" in the same sense as falling and hitting your head, or spraining an ankle. It's a process.

well fuck you buddy, im going bald fast and i have a baby face, so ill do as much test and lift as heavy as i can thank you very much

Name three competitive weightlifters who aren't injured.

It's a bullshit statistic.

Your spine wears down by getting old, by sitting on your ass or standing for long time e.g if you MRI 100 40+ year old people you will find some form of degenration. Where do you draw the line maybe don't load your spine at all then don't even carry a back pack? Where do you get that squats will speed this up? You need to start using that noggin m8.

>niggers
>work
Pick one

b-but you can't have SPINAL INJURY from deadlift! r-right g-guys
l-literally zero video evidence

>It's bullshit because it hurts my feefees
Well i'll be, and again you or anyone on Veeky Forums with the exception of maybe Isley are not competitive lifters you're not as driven to get big numbers over technique.

>Guy drives car into wall
>WHAT THE FUCK CARS ARE UNSAFE 1/10

Gorillas are 5'5 manlets. I literally have a foot of height advantage on the average gorilla. They're pretty strong and could probably kill me, but they're mentally weak. It's law in the animal kingdom to not start shit with anyone bigger than you. If a gorilla looks at me in a threatening way then all I have to do is tippy toe a bit while flaring my lats and he'd become docile.

Is this one of those ironic autism posts, topkek fit

>maybe don't load your spine at all then don't even carry a back pack?

wow, are you legit retarded? a daily wear backpack doesn't compress your discs nearly as much as a heavy barbell

It's like saying smoking is fine because we're all going to get old and die anyway, lol

the problem is not the car nor the deadlift.
the problem is drving car at inane speed downtown or arching your back whilst lifting too much weight.
you wouldn't accelerate at g-defying forces while driving your car in a pedestrian area; similarly, you wouldn't use a weight that doesn't allow you to keep proper form.

I'll assume that you're 5'9, since that is the average male height in America. Now imagine a 6'9 guy. You probably haven't even met any 6'9 guys. They're huge. Look up and he'd probably be hitting your ceiling. Now imagine that he was shredded and wanted to fight you. This is what the gorilla sees and it is natural law to avoid damaging oneself in the animal kingdom. Except gorillas are even dumber than humans. So when he sees me get on my tippy toes, he thinks that I just grew another few inches, so now I'm 6'8. And then when I flare my lats he thinks that I just got swoler, so I went from 6'5 195 lbs shredded to looking 6'8 230 lbs shredded. Animals DO NOT want to injure themselves, I will have to repeat. So the gorilla thinks to himself, "okay, maybe this is too risky. I'll go back to eating bananas." Hopefully now you understand.

So 100kg is fine but 140 isn't is 101kg horrible as well?
Smoking has studies to show it's effects on the human body squats don't even have 1 legit case report. (all squats done by sports science PHD studies are half squats once you read methodology if they even include it or use smith machine)
Yet you spout this shit based on some faggot that probably talks about functional strength or some other physio tier retardation.
Arching your back during a lift is performing it incorrectly i.e driving the car into the wall then complaining.

Especially that level of form breakage doesn't happen overnight.

Shame that some faggot will probably post this on r/fitness but god I love this Veeky Forums autism

If you don't do heavy squats and deadlifts, you are not a man(assuming you have no serious injuries.) Yeah, they're dangerous, but that's life bitch.

>I'll assume that you're 5'9, since that is the average male height in America
It's not, but it's funny to see that US of A is literally the only western country where average height is plummeting
really, wtf murrica

Friendly reminder that ernie's deadlift form looks like a dog taking a shit. Keep a straight back, don't get greedy when your increase your maxes, and know your limit when you reach it.

>racist rhetoric

What part, exactly?

>doesn't know that weightlifting is the name of a sport
>functional strength
>doesn't realize that you have to compete to be a bodybuilder. Otherwise you're just a gym rat.

I want summer to end.

It's the mexican immigrants.

Not being racist, but non-whites are literally dragging us down. Same will happen as proportion rises in western europe.

These threads are always filled with DYELs that look like emaciated children when wearing clothes.

more mexican and black population, more mixing of superior nordic height genes with mexican and black manlet genes.

>DL 405
>Claims to get a workout from 275
OHP only ninety pounds less than your DL is not "in proportion." You let your legs go.

All these anons agreeing that Crossfit is the perfect workout as long as you don't say the C word

So I'm 5'7 145 lbs. Right now I'm at .5/1/1.3/2

I stopped deadlifting after 2pl8 because it was hurting my lower back. Similarly I may stop squatting at 2pl8 because again it's hurting my lower back. Maybe my form is wrong (for squats I try to stick my ass out) but I don't think lower back pain is generally good.

I've been using the hyperextension machine to try and work my lower back but I find that my lower back is tired much faster just from doing yardwork around the house.

I definitely plan to get to 1/2, and deadlifting just seems intrinsically an unhealthy spinal movement, so where should my squats end?

>superior nordic
This meme again

It was a mistake that you got civ you stupid germanic pig

You aren't wrong. t. A mixed race guy that doesn't want the whole world to look like me by 2050.

Tian Tao, Lu, Liao Hui
Kendrick Farris
Mohammed Ehab
Toshiki

Off the top of my head.