Is lifting heavy a bad idea in the long run?

Is lifting heavy a bad idea in the long run?

>Ronnie Coleman known for lifting heavy as a bodybuilder
>Multiple surgeries and fucked up joints now

>Rippletits
>Says most of his joints are fucked up now, had a major shoulder injury not that long ago. Says he can barely lifting that often anymore

Thoughts? Btw I'm not saying is lifting weights bad for you long term but specifically lifting heavy

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/WeightTraining/Safety.html
pointdriventraining.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not a professional but they were both incredibly strong and lifted weights heavier than fit dreams of for years.
I think 1/2/3/4 is a good goal

>1/2/3/4 is a good goal
>I think you should work out for about a year then stop

Depends. I think you should shoot for a higher OHP/Bench but there's not much incentive to squat more than 315 for reps

Yes.
It's why basically all natural old time strongmen who looked toward longevity instead of instant results and strength lifted heavily rarely and concentrated on relatively heavy lifts done over long periods.
They were concerned about body integrity and health. Strength was a component of that, but they and many other people realize that to attain the inhuman levels of strength that many men wanted means sacrificing their body upon an alter of iron.

Was rippetoe really that strong? He lifted in a high weight class with a squat suit and I think his best ever was like 500lbs?

It's strong but most people if they dedicated themselves for 5-10 years and went to the 242lbs class could do it for sure

why stop? just maintain that level of strength indefinitely

>being happy with a less than 200kg deadlift

I hope you mean with no wraps, belts or anything, because that's still fucking weak. The strongest man in the world can lift 500kg.

yeah well the strongest man in the world won't have any joints left to live with in a few decades

Yeah maybe three times ever, dude almost died when he got it

And let's not forget that monstrous mountain of gear he's sitting on...

He squatted 622, benched 397 and deadlifted 633

eddie hall really isn't a good example of denying that heavy lifting is bad for you

eddie himself says it's absolutely terrible for him and retired as soon as he finally won WSM

Ask yourself this. How much of it is because they are old too?

chances are you will not be moving the weight that your two examples were

u r a thick cunt m8

>squat less than deadlift

so much for memes

squat less than deadlift and his squat was in a squat suit

guess he was actually just good at deadlifts

When people post famous weight lifters with joint problems you have to have some context. These guys are already medically "overweight." Even if you are 5'10, 220lbs and 8% bf you are still overweight and that weight puts a lot of stress on your joints over time. Now add that with lifting heavy and age and you have people like rippletits with no joint cartilage.

Don't worry, unless you're shooting drugs like crazy, you'll never be lifting or weighing as much as any of em.

You are not really that strong to begin with even if you lift.

>Oh I can lift 100kg cause I strong, Just make sure it is perfectly balanced with the most advantages position for me to lift it.

it is like pulling an 18 wheeler down hill. Move that weight 10 cm away from you and you would struggle with half your current max.

Ask yourself this, do you want to be healthy, mobile, and oldman strong when you're old.

Or a broken down old man who can barely move because he wanted to lift heavy ass weight.

By they by. If you're even asking that then you've honestly not got enough experience under your belt to recognize the damage that heavy lifting can do to you.
And by experience I mean more then 4-5 years of lifting. Not a year and a half of starting strength.

>@220
No wonder his training neglects bench so much. He was never good at presses

ok so whats the young - oldman strength routine? 1/2/3/4 forever?

yeah all old school weightlifters I've known are basically crippled and look like shit

This made me feel tingly inside

Get up to moderate levels of strength and maintian forever.
98% of your lifting should be moderate high rep stuff and build strength endurance and ligament and joint strength.
2% is the occasional 1-2 set strength training session 2-4 times a month.

I think it's mostly down to doing mostly low rep work, and roids. Roids let your muscles get stronger than your tendons and joints, so that's a recipe for fucked up shit by itself.

I was if average weight and could press more, a plate is fucking nothing

I recognize it. I've had joint problems in the past. I've switched to ladder sets instead of lifting heavy.

Theyve competed, you moron.
If you compete youre bound to get fucked in some way. and regulare people ahve way worse pains and injuries from doing nothing.

Utter fucking retard.

You can do 60kg squats all your life and youre still going to get injured.

>being 50 pounds overweight is bad even if it's muscle
>slamming 500lbs on a bar and lifting it regularly in addition to being overweight is bad

Almonds have been activated

I mean it's not terrible compared to his squat and diddly.

He was simply an above average lifter and never claimed to be a world class one.

His methods produced a lot better >athletes than he was.

You can get injured doing anything.
But if you do something like heavy strength training for years, injuries are a 100% guarantee.
That's what everyone is saying.
That's what everyone knows.

That depends on your definition of heavy.

The definition is relative to their frame and experience.
But after 2-4 years of consistent lifting they should be at a point where lifting anymore is dangerous. To be honest after 2 years they'll be at the point where they should worry more about building a base of strength and strength endurance and life long joint and ligament health rather then hitting their natural limits of strength and to hell with the future.

build a strong foundation and then transition to bodyweights

So I mean what then? If your 6 foot 185lbs you shouldn't squat over 3pl8?

THe reason why people want to lift heavy is because they have dreams and goals. Most people are well aware that going close to their genetic limit, or getting very strong, increases the risk. But its worth it.
That doesnt mean your future is ruined. People who lift and keep lifting have less pain than normal people. I doubt the difference between going very heavy and staying at a moderate weight will give a big difference in injuries or pain when you get older. Lifting heavy is one of the safest things you can do. Even tennis and badmington will provide more injuries.

thats the call of destiny user

>I doubt the difference between going very heavy and staying at a moderate weight will give a big difference in injuries or pain when you get older. Lifting heavy is one of the safest things you can do. Even tennis and badmington will provide more injuries.

All of this is actually wrong.

>All of this is actually wrong.
exrx.net/WeightTraining/Safety.html

Here you go. every 10th year they do a study to see which sports has the most injuries.

And to be clear, weightlifting at the bottom is actually competitive weightlifting. Which should be more dangerous than than not competing. But its shown to have smaller injury rates than simply lifting weights.
And most of those injuries only kept them away from the gym for a day.

Just constantly keep increasing weight, and flexibility. It doesn't have to be huge increases, but this is a long game. 1 year you should hit 1/2/3/4, in 2 1.5/2.5/3.5/5 and keep going. You'll be big and strong, and always focus on form, don't risk injury for more weight if you don't compete.

Rippletits fucked up his knees while fucking around with horses though.

that's because you get injured before the competition. you have to be in very good condition to actually compete in an event.

For all of you who say that lifting heavy for years makes injuries inevitable. Name a sport that doesn't follow the same logic.

Weightlifting and powerlifting both have really low injury rates compared to basically any Olympic sport. Will you injure yourself? Probably. But you'd do so in a pursuit of any other athletic performance, too.

Those numbers are derived from hours in the gym in competitive lifters. Not from competition, only.

There is a newer one too(the one i psoted is from 1994). i believe its 2011, but its difficult to find, and doesnt show much difference from this one.

I've seen this image before, but always been bamboozled by his face, it looks like a faggy gypsy boy.

If it includes hours in a gym then it includes grannies on treadmills and aerobics classes. No wonder the numbers are low. Furthermore competitive lifters have much better form than non competitive lifters from all the pratice so they're even less likely to get injured than some idiot reading how to squat online.

2/3/4/5 should be what a natty aims for ultimately

Ain't that heavy and actually achieve able for most

You should probably stop, you're out of your depth here

this.
if you're natty and you're obsessing about your lifts, just fucking stop. you'll never be elite tier strength-wise unless you gear up or have godlike genetics (and you most likely dont) and even if you do, chances of getting seriously injuried get too high for it to be worth it. lift for overall performance. lift to get better at other sports. lift to get aesthetic. lift to improve posture. lift for health.
t.natty autist who's been obsessing about his lifts ever since he started lifting and can't stop despite how little sense it makes and how much painful it's starting to be.

If you want. Go for it.
There's no fucking reason you absolutely NEED to squat 315. Espescially since squatting is such a big deal for taller men.

The injuries don't come from the actual competition. Because unlike active sports, they have far more safety measure in place, spotting, and they have to come uninjured to even "play".

In other sports like tennis and the like don't have such strenuous measures in place and they're time of activity is a fuckload higher.

If you had said strongman then you'd have a point.

The actual injuries from weight lifting comes from the years of hard heavy ass lifting.

You seem to be forgetting that.

He's right though. They do include the new lifters who have shit form and mostly play around on machines.

Wish they included the crossift people in there.

We have reached new levels of autism.

6 and change years lifting here, my joints feel better now than before I lifted

you just need to train smart and not grind maximal weights or do sets at RPE10 all the time, if you are coming close to missing reps in training regularly you will fuck yourself up eventually

also, learn how to manage fatigue with good programming and allow for good and bad days, and select exercises that don't hurt you (if you have short arms and deadlifts fuck you up, don't perform them, for example)

Riddle me this OP, you ever seen an elderly human without some sort of nagging injury or seems to have lost a step?

>HOT TAKE
>Humans break down as they grow older
>Even the mona lisa's falling apart

Ronnie Coleman fell for the low bar squat meme created and endorsed by Rippletoe. They are both fucked today. The moral of the story is to not fall for the low bar squat meme.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has studied injury rates as a function of steroid use.

>Steroids grow muscle at a rate that exceeds the adaptive capacity of joints, tendons, ligaments, etc

>Lift weight that your muscles can move but your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc are not ready to handle

>Get injured

dunno if it actually works that way but the logic seems plausible.

He's right, if you compete you disregard form and technique.
Kys you mongoloid

No dude I saw that one old man who is actually my grandad and he is 102 and climbs mountains and fucks teen puss on the reg.

rip was telling a story on the starting strength youtube about a retired air force colonel I think that in his 70s deadlifted 405

I'd like that at that age

When you roid and your muscles can out perform your joints and tendons and ligaments to the point of requiring special clothing and gimmicky tools too be able to perform lifts, it's no wonder it's bad for you.

That said I think taking your body to its natural limit and maintaining it at that point or pushing slightly past it are perfectly fine. My boss is a 5'4 turbo manlet whose been lifting heavy since he was 16. He still has ~1200 total and he's 55. All his joints and tendons and shit are fine because he never roided and took it beyond his bodies own natural capabilities. Ofc it could be because he's a turbo manlet and has a 3 inch RoM

Your intuition is correct, that is why people often run deca or some other joint support in addition to their chosen steroids/test

3 plate bench? 2 plate ohp?? not that heavy? jesus you're delusional

Isn't Rip still deadlifting like 500 lbs?

Sure their is always that one person who defies the odds but 95% of people over the age of 50 are losing a step do to their bodies breaking down... its a natural progression, the circle of life if you will... its not as if lifting heavy weight is the cancer of a generation

no, the weightlifting group includes competitive weightlifters, not grannies. How stupid are you?

>and regulare people ahve way worse pains and injuries from doing nothing.

maybe in america where you're all so fucking fat it's like you're constantly lifting heavy weights but not in normal countries

Its normal everywhere.
A lot of people in very sedentary/sitting jobs tend to get back issues that last for life.
People who have active jobs or repetetive jobs(nurses/factory workers) end up with issues in the joints and tendons which are heavily used.
Obese people get injured and other pains simply from their lifestyle.

The one thing ive learned from physiotherapy is that pain and injury is common. eople who exercise and lift get less pain from the same injuries, they heal faster, and it doesnt cause the same amount of disability.

Ive seen active 85 year olds who used to be athletes who have recovered from knee replacement 4 times faster than a sedentary 40 year old.

Dude 3 plate bench is very much attainable, even at sub 200 body weight. And doing powerlifting it is very possible to hit 225is OHP for a 1rm. I myself had 205 OHP at 200 be after lifting religiously for a year (later quit pl for unrelated reasons)

If anybody is delusional it's you for underestimating what a man ought to be

pointdriventraining.com

Some sport specific recommendations from Dan John

>you can lift less with poor leverage
really gets the ol noggin a joggin

Yeah. The three second lift with four spotters and like ten people watching them? Yeah, that totally means that a lifetime of heavy as fuck lifting with piss poor form or even great form will not leave you injured as fuck.

You aren't lifting with any weight and you damned sure haven't been lifting long.
This is me being generous. The only other thing is you being a willfully ignorant fool who simply will not accept the reality of the situation or a scumbag who has an ideology/or shit to sell.

Link to the study? I'm curious.

High bar is generally a meme unless your grown in a lab like the guy in your pic and have short ass femurs. Anyone can do low bar. That said, lowbar will fuck your shit up if you don't do it right/go heavy too fast

>Anyone can do low bar.
Not true at all.

Yes

You're fucking stupid

Why? It seems attainable over the course of 4-10 years depending on how serious you take your training

>tfw never lifted more than 30 lbs
>have better body than 90% of Veeky Forums with just calisthenics

You're fucking weak

I have tried both low and high bar squats and I can't stand low bar - high bar works better for me in terms of form and how much I can lift.

Maybe you should start from the beginning of the thread stupid.

Don't know much about Ronnie, but doesn't Rip say that that's the very reason he wants to get others doing it right? Because he hurt himself from years of doing it wrong?
I'm not saying you need to injure yourself to learn good form; but the fact that he has injuries doesn't mean he hasn't learned from it and is now trying to pass on that wisdom.

I lifted heavy from 18 until about 25 and fucked my elbow up badly. Had a trainer who taught me good form and I safe progression and after awhile my elbow said fuck you and fuck this heavy weight.

>weighs no more than 30 lbs
>claims to have a body at all
yeah, ok bud

I don't like ripplehoe either but to be fair, in one of his videos he actually says you SHOULDN't use lowbar and then "corrected" one of his client to set it higher (between uppertraps and rear delts)

>between uppertraps and rear delts
That is literally lowbar position do people on fit think lowbar means the bar is on your mid back or something?

How the hell do people do high bar without it hurting anyway? With lowbar, I just place the bar in that little notch in the rear delt and there's zero pain. Any time I've tried to put it higher, the bar is either digging into my neck or it feels like it's tearing my traps out of their insertions.

this x 1000.
You have to understand competition environment is totally different than lifting for shits n giggles.
Olympic gymnasts train whole year round and they can only go all out in training/competing for 2 weeks max, after that they have to recover for 3-6 months because of how much stress that shit puts on the connective tissue

>the one day the weight sways and your entire body explodes

>tfw if im lifting heavy (relative for myself) sometimes my lower back will pop out like that and I have to swerve to avoid visiting snap city

>When you squat and your legs straighten before your back moves

You just get used to it. I used to do Highbar before switching to lowbar and honestly first time I did a weight as low as 150 kg lowbar felt so fucking unsteady then I got used to it and never went back

I have already lifted 200kg as a natty, it isnt too hard to achieve. my overall strength goal is to pull 240 eventually but I dont really want or need to get much stronger than that and I probably couldnt anyway.

are we talking 1RM or 5RM ? I think both it probably doable but 5RM is gonna be really fucking hard for the OHP as a natty if you ask me and probably only achievable with top tier genetics. 1RM I agree anyone can do if they work out long enough and hard enough.