Could Rome and Carthage have coexisted or were they to end up destroying eachother?

Could Rome and Carthage have coexisted or were they to end up destroying eachother?

yes, some senators argued allowing carthage to exist solely to keep them on their toes

why isn't carthage-kun black

Could Imperial Britain and Imperial Germany have coexisted?

Could the United States and the USSR have coexisted?

Could Superpower A and Superpower B have coexisted?

*were they doomed

med people are not black silly

Romans couldn't let Carthage have Sicily. because they might invade Italy through it.

>Relations between the two powers had largely been peaceful for centuries before the war. Peace treaties were signed in 509 BCE, 348 BCE, 306 BCE, and 279 BCE, which outlined each empire’s sphere of influence, but when Rome became more ambitious in Magna Graecia, Carthage sought to defend its interests. The particular bone of contention was Sicily, a strategically important and prosperous island that the Carthaginians had long disputed with Greek city-states and which now also attracted the attentions of Rome. When Rome took control of Rhegium and Messana sought Roman protection from the double threat of Carthage and Hieron II (tyrant of Syracuse), relations soured further between the two great powers of the Mediterranean, both wary, suspicious, and eager to outdo the other.

Carthage should be a sexy onee-chan who tries to /ss/ with Rome-kun.

>Rome
>Carthage
>Superpowers
Rome would have stayed a small Republic of equals, not a corrupt oligarchy.

Rome was a local Italian power during 1st and 2nd Punic Wars.

Carthage was destined for destruction along with their love of human sacrifice.

Would've they? I don't know their history that much but I'm under the impression that appart from bullying weaker nations every now and then they were not the kind that would invade a powerful rival.
Even when Hannibal had the upper hand it was never in Carthage's mind take over Italy

Romans never fought outside Italy before the 1st Punic war, but they still managed to beat Carthage in sea battles, by copying the design of their ships and adding corvus, which made the fighting easier.

One would destroy the other, Rome was too fearful of the BBCC (Big Black Carthaginian Cock)

No, power dynamics would ensure that one would have to destroy the other to ensure hegemony in that region.

Waltz on suicide watch

>which made the fighting easier.

Or at least converted it from a battle between ships into a bunch of miniature versions of a land battle, with soldiers against soldiers, which the Romans were good at.

>Could Rome and Carthage have coexisted or were they to end up destroying each other?

Those are not the only two options. Rome took over a lot of places without destroying them.

More like Campanian aristocrats were greedy.

The corvus had mixed results. They ditched it pretty early due to how unwieldy it was outside of battle.

If carriage had won would it have succumbed to feminism sooner or later than time did?

>Could Imperial Britain and Imperial Germany have coexisted?
Yes, they should have united to destroy the Eternal Frog and Russian.

>Carthage isn’t a qt grill in pic
Missed opportunity

I'm not talking about material destruction

fuck off back to facebook

Worry not, Carthage is a boy but he has a sis

they were Phoenician

Yes they were

Rome and Carthage are so cute! I wanna see their lewds OwO

You’re doing the Lord’s work, user. Got any more?

sure

No, both wanted Mediterranean under their control for trade reasons.

Noice, saving these

>girls

Shit taste

Rome and Carthage should both be cute girls

>le ad poisoning

>that Prussian expansion cartoon

Can the Aryan and the Semite co-exist?

Indo-Europeans and Afro-Asiatics have been clashing civilizationally for a long time. Rome v. Carthage was just one battle in a much larger, eternal war.

>Could Imperial Britain and Imperial Germany have coexisted?
Yes, in fact Germany specifically wanted to get along with Britain before WW1 broke out and was like "why fight us? The French are your historic enemies too"

Lol

historylet here bls egsblane
is the lead thing false?

I don't really understand why Veeky Forumstorians are so skeptical of "WE WUZ PHOENISHUNZ." The DNA is conclusive for modern Lebanese (they wuz Phoenicians) and it's pretty clear that Carthaginian civilization grew out of the Phoenician expansion.

a german's alliance means they annex you

I didn't say they were genetically the same as ancient Phoenicians. I just said Carthaginian civilization grew out of the Phoenician expansion.

I wanna cuddle with her

That is a bit of a silly question, because they did coexist for five hundred years. They were even technically allies against Pyrrhus of Epirus for a time. But after the conquest of Magna Graecia, and without a common Greek enemy to unite against there was nothing to stop them from fighting each other.
The British defeated the French after Napoleon the first, and the Germans defeated the French after they beat Napoleon the third in the Franco-Prussian war. As a result, France ceased to be something the two countries could unite around. Without that common enemy, there was nothing to stop them from killing each other.

And phoenitians are not niggers

>Carthaginian civilization
Heavily mixed with berbers and sardinians

Think about it.

If the lead pipe did actually cause the fall of Rome, it should've happened few hundred years before 476.